F Perspective

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bear Down Vegas

F Perspective

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Ugh.

I posted somewhere recently I only come here to enjoy Longhorned posts anymore but I've had it. Much like I feel our politics have become divided ( & that's way worse than a college basketball message board), it's happened here too.

Sean Miller isn't the GOAT/witch we all thought he was AND he's an exceptional recruiter who believes teaching man to man defense is more important than anything, to the class & talent level of kids that come to Arizona (& are trying make basketball a career). It's not an OR situation.

My first post at the old site was titled Perspective. Well, no one is changing anyone's minds anymore so F perspective.

I still jump up & down & get mad as hell. But I don't lose sleep anymore after a tough loss AND THAT IS A GOOD THING (imnsho). I don't text my dad & my brother as much about UofA anymore because they're both on poles of the debate & it's hard enough when it's a political perspective.

Bear Down. Go get a coffee or a beer with a pal. We're all tuning in to the next Arizona basketball game we can regardless. Get in the dance, play our best hoops. That's all we've ever wanted & frankly, that's pretty much what we've gotten since I was 12 years old. We're spoiled...so many people here get that. Certainly you can.

Cheers,

BDV
CalStateTempe

Re: F Perspective

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m down with this, thanks BDV
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Time to impeach Longhorned!!!

I am done with Miller too, but don't see the divide here as much as their is in politics. Seems 80+% of the posts are pretty consistent about Miller, and outside of 1 or 2 posters, even those pro-Miller can recognize the Miller needs to change and be more flexible.
Bear Down Vegas

Merkin wrote:Time to impeach Longhorned!!!

I am done with Miller too, but don't see the divide here as much as their is in politics. Seems 80+% of the posts are pretty consistent about Miller, and outside of 1 or 2 posters, even those pro-Miller can recognize the Miller needs to change and be more flexible.
This is perfect. & yes, I was going overboard with this thread but to my credit it was intentional. The vast majority of us are clearly stating points & that's cool. Those who are convinced they are right & aren't doing that - I suppose that's who it was directed toward.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The important thing to know and keep in mind is that the people who disagree with me or have different opinions than me are completely wrong.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:I still jump up & down & get mad as hell. But I don't lose sleep anymore after a tough loss AND THAT IS A GOOD THING (imnsho). I don't text my dad & my brother as much about UofA anymore because they're both on poles of the debate & it's hard enough when it's a political perspective.

Bear Down. Go get a coffee or a beer with a pal. We're all tuning in to the next Arizona basketball game we can regardless. Get in the dance, play our best hoops. That's all we've ever wanted & frankly, that's pretty much what we've gotten since I was 12 years old. We're spoiled...so many people here get that. Certainly you can.

Cheers,

BDV
I remember when you were at our loss at UNLV, and when the Runnin Rebel students and fans went to storm the court, you stood there in Arizona gear helping them over the barrier with that conciliatory smile on your face while those delirious kids ran around and stumbled over one another like a school of blind children released into a yard full of mattresses.

That's how to do it, I think. Roar as though you're some kind of predatory animal in a zoo during the game. But when it's over, either take your moment or let them have theirs. Lord knows we've had ours, and tenfold. It blows away in the wind either way. It floats to the sea. And none of it should matter when you're across the table from your brother, with mustard on his chin.

There's this unexamined anxiety that disappointing game results and seasons carry some kind of consequence leading to the possible demise of Arizona Basketball and everything it's ever meant to you since you drunkenly thought your own skull would be a fine stopper for the heavy automatic doors in the elevator of Arizona/Sonora. If that were true, it would work both ways, and Arizona Football would have a chance to join the ranks you hope for. That isn't happening, and Arizona Basketball isn't going anywhere.

Better just to cheer for Sean Miller and stop mythologizing our own self doubts by projecting them onto this impression of him standing in front of a white board of X's and O's completely baffled and chewing on his dry marker: "What am I doing? I don't even know how to talk to these players! Should I draw up a play for my shooting guard to bounce the ball off his own shoe? Might as well, because I'm completely lost when it comes to this whole winning thing everybody seems to be hoping for. Mmmmmmm. Time for a bowl of salty nuts."
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

^another epic LH
AzWdCatFan

Post by AzWdCatFan »

baycat93 wrote:^another epic LH
Perfect, in every way.
Bear Down Vegas

Longhorned wrote:
I remember when you were at our loss at UNLV, and when the Runnin Rebel students and fans went to storm the court, you stood there in Arizona gear helping them over the barrier with that conciliatory smile on your face while those delirious kids ran around and stumbled over one another like a school of blind children released into a yard full of mattresses.
It brings me joy you remember, because that may have been the night (day game?) I grew up a little as a fan. And not to sound like a broken record but this city HAS lost it's basketball team, for all intents & purposes. It's soothed a little because of the NHL & now NFL coming to Vegas but - the locals who I used to cut up conversations all the time with in regards to MCB - have no interest in that anymore.
Bear Down Vegas

Alieberman wrote:The important thing to know and keep in mind is that the people who disagree with me or have different opinions than me are completely wrong.

HAHA - we need to get drinks someday too Alieberman.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I will admit to going through the emotions of a three year who is told he cannot watch anymore Blippi because its time to eat dinner, who at the news of this most tragic loss throws himself on the floor sobbing uncontrollably while the opposing team celebrates with passion of American wives finding out that WWII is over...

I have even thrown a remote and sworn to never ever let myself get attached to an amatuer sports team...

Then game time approaches and I go through the convulsions of trying to remember what I ate and what ritual worked the last time UA won and if perhaps I should NOT follow the game thread on the laptop, or if I check ESPN's stats during the game if THAT was what threw off the mojo last time...do I order Nicos or swing by Lucky Wishbone? WTF works?????

Apprehension creeps up...what if "WE" lose another one? To a really BAAAD team...and then I tell myself "Relax it's just a game, its entertainment, just enjoy it no matter what happens"...but I know and you know that is a LIE from the pit of hell...

THIS IS THE FUCKING YEAR WE BREAK THROUGH...how can it not be, yeah last year was a burner-phone season, use it, toss it, fuggetaboutit...

BUT THIS YEAR...we have the three greatest freshman players to ever walk into McKale...hell the three greatest players to ever play together in the history of college basketball, how could we NOT win evErY dAmN gAmE????

And I talk to my son, and we vow to never watch a game together because it screws up the mojo...or he says and I agree, I'm done with f'n Sean Miller, he can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag and zone destroys us and Washington plays Zone and we are going to lose the next two road games and the season is fucking over already, lets cheer for mark few and the Zags like last year or at least cheer FOR whoever os playing AGAINST Dook...

And then they win and I'm back on the emotional roller coaster just like every year I have followed them since the 90's...

Fuck it, we all do this...we just don't admit it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Alieberman wrote:The important thing to know and keep in mind is that the people who disagree with me or have different opinions than me are completely wrong.

HAHA - we need to get drinks someday too Alieberman.

Would love to and I'm actually in Vegas right now for a couple days! Wish I had some time or I'd buy you a round or 3!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Merkin wrote:Time to impeach Longhorned!!!

Merkin you'er a bright guy. Who are your prospects for the new coach?

God imagine how bad this would be if we weren't just a game out of first....hahahaha
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Longhorned wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:I still jump up & down & get mad as hell. But I don't lose sleep anymore after a tough loss AND THAT IS A GOOD THING (imnsho). I don't text my dad & my brother as much about UofA anymore because they're both on poles of the debate & it's hard enough when it's a political perspective.

Cheers,

BDV

That's how to do it, I think. Roar as though you're some kind of predatory animal in a zoo during the game. But when it's over, either take your moment or let them have theirs. Lord knows we've had ours, and tenfold. It blows away in the wind either way. It floats to the sea. And none of it should matter when you're across the table from your brother, with mustard on his chin.

There's this unexamined anxiety that disappointing game results and seasons carry some kind of consequence leading to the possible demise of Arizona Basketball and everything it's ever meant to you since you drunkenly thought your own skull would be a fine stopper for the heavy automatic doors in the elevator of Arizona/Sonora. If that were true, it would work both ways, and Arizona Football would have a chance to join the ranks you hope for. That isn't happening, and Arizona Basketball isn't going anywhere.

Better just to cheer for Sean Miller and stop mythologizing our own self doubts by projecting them onto this impression of him standing in front of a white board of X's and O's completely baffled and chewing on his dry marker: "What am I doing? I don't even know how to talk to these players! Should I draw up a play for my shooting guard to bounce the ball off his own shoe? Might as well, because I'm completely lost when it comes to this whole winning thing everybody seems to be hoping for. Mmmmmmm. Time for a bowl of salty nuts."
Impressive. Thanks for the perspective.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Longhorned wrote:
but it's way more fun to bring everyone down to my hole of misery

the got darn next coach gun make basqeetbaw fun and loose!

Never mind none among us can name a realistic option to upgrade the HC position. Save me perennial underachievers like Scott Drew (an option so laughable it deserves no elaboration)
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

eoe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
but it's way more fun to bring everyone down to my hole of misery

the got darn next coach gun make basqeetbaw fun and loose!

Never mind none among us can name a realistic option to upgrade the HC position. Save me perennial underachievers like Scott Drew (an option so laughable it deserves no elaboration)
Exactly, if its anyone that isn't young it just means they sucked until they didn't. Which is not worth dropping Miller for.