2020 PAC-12 Tournament thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

2020 PAC-12 Tournament thread

Post by azgreg »

Seeding: The seedings and pairings shall be determined upon completion of regular season play. The won-lost percentage record of the teams in regular season Conference play will determine tournament seedings. The team with the best won-lost percentage in Conference play will be seeded #1, the next best won-lost percentage in Conference play will be seeded #2, and so forth through all the seeds.

Tie-Breakers: Tie-breaking procedures for determining all tournament seeding will be:
1. Two-team tie
a. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular season.
b. Each team’s record (won-lost percentage) vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular standings, and then continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.
When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record (won-lost percentage) against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking procedure), rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
c. Won-lost percentage against all Division I opponents.
d. Coin toss conducted by the Commissioner or designee.

2. Multiple-team tie
a. Results (won-lost percentage) of collective head-to-head competition during the regular season among the tied teams.
b. If more than two teams are still tied, each of the tied team’s record (won-lost percentage) vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings, and then continuing down through the standings, eliminating teams with inferior records, until one team gains an advantage.
When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record (won-lost percentage) against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking procedure), rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
After one team has an advantage and is seeded, all remaining teams in the multiple-team tie-breaker will repeat the multiple-team tie-breaking procedure.
If at any point the multiple-team tie is reduced to two teams, the two-team tie-breaking procedure will be applied.
c. Won-lost percentage against all Division I opponents.
d. Coin toss conducted by the Commissioner or designee.
Last edited by azgreg on Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Re: 2020 PAC-12 Tournament thread

Post by azcat49 »

Don’t want to be the 5 facing Washington on Thursday and I don’t want UCLA either
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:Don’t want to be the 5 facing Washington on Thursday and I don’t want UCLA either
Oh come on, azcat. If you wanna win the cup, you gotta play these teams anyway. I say bring em on. If we lose, it's just another day of rest before the tourney that matters.
eoe

Post by eoe »

UCLA with Mick Cronin's ugly ass basketball is going to be a pain for years to come. Would rather avoid UCLA, hate slow down/prayer basketball. Muck it up and hit enough shots hoping the other team misses more than usual, pathetic
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

eoe wrote:UCLA with Mick Cronin's ugly ass basketball is going to be a pain for years to come. Would rather avoid UCLA, hate slow down/prayer basketball. Muck it up and hit enough shots hoping the other team misses more than usual, pathetic
Meh. Are you implying that Cronin will outcoach Miller? Because that's sorta what it sounds like.

We've been ahead of UCLA for years (in recruiting, in the standings), so I'm not overly concerned about the Mick Cronin era changing that. I do expect he'll do better than Alford, but as long as Miller keeps recruiting well, we'll be a threat to win the Pac title every year.

For the current season, I was surprised that we dropped a game to UCLA at McKale, especially after ASU destroyed them two nights earlier. The Bruins are playing much better and will be tough at home, but they're no tougher than Oregon, Colorado, ASU or USC.

It wouldn't surprise me to see us go 1-1 next week, winning at UCLA and losing at USC.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Don’t want to be the 5 facing Washington on Thursday and I don’t want UCLA either
Oh come on, azcat. If you wanna win the cup, you gotta play these teams anyway. I say bring em on. If we lose, it's just another day of rest before the tourney that matters.

Just want to enjoy a long stay in vegas watching my team. I do think Cronin is going to change or at least impact the culture of the whole league. It is going to be far more physical going forward
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Just want to enjoy a long stay in vegas watching my team
I can't do more than three days in Vegas. When I was younger, I could swing it. But now, a couple nights of drinking past 3am are about all I can handle. I like feeling rested in the morning for the first days of the big tourney. That first Thursday/Friday combo is my Super Bowl.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

3am. I haven’t seen 3am in years except to get up and Pee LOL
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azcat49 wrote:3am. I haven’t seen 3am in years except to get up and Pee LOL
:lol: no shit... 3 am :lol:
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

azcat49 wrote:3am. I haven’t seen 3am in years except to get up and Pee LOL
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Sounds like quade green is ineligible until after the PAC 12 tourney, would be eligible for the NCAA or nit or the CBI or the cit.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I got my PAC12 tournament tickets from the Mckale Center Ticket office on friday.

We still have an excellent chance to get a bye.

Should USC lose to UCLA (not far fetched) and we sweep the Washington schools we would end up tied with Colorado (they lost to Stanford today) even if they beat Utah. If we end up tied with either Colorado/Stanford (who has to play at Oregon) we win based on head-to-head competition.

I haven't yet figured out what happens if there is a mult-way tie with USC/Colorado/Stanford if USC defeats UCLA)....we split with USC.

Personally, I don't want to be the 5 seed and end up playing Washington. They have enough top level players (Mcdaniel/Stewart) that they might wake up and beat us.
wilbur1997

Post by wilbur1997 »

Any recommendations about getting tickets? Are there scalpers outside the arena? Or should I use StubHub?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

All kinds of scalpers outside the arena. Also plenty on stub hub
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

dmjcat wrote:I got my PAC12 tournament tickets from the Mckale Center Ticket office on friday.

We still have an excellent chance to get a bye.

Should USC lose to UCLA (not far fetched) and we sweep the Washington schools we would end up tied with Colorado (they lost to Stanford today) even if they beat Utah. If we end up tied with either Colorado/Stanford (who has to play at Oregon) we win based on head-to-head competition.

I haven't yet figured out what happens if there is a mult-way tie with USC/Colorado/Stanford if USC defeats UCLA)....we split with USC.

Personally, I don't want to be the 5 seed and end up playing Washington. They have enough top level players (Mcdaniel/Stewart) that they might wake up and beat us.
Assuming we win both games at home it sounds like if either CU wins or USC loses we get the 4 seed. If ASU loses a game I think we have a shot at a 3 seed potentially.
Kryptocat

Post by Kryptocat »

New to the board. Here's my thought:
(Assuming Oregon doesn't lose this week) if we end up in a two way tie with USC, I believe they get the 4 seed. Both of us went winless vs oregon, split with ASU, but they would be 2-0 vs UCLA. This also assumes those stay the top three seeds.

If we end in a 3 way tie with Colorado and USC:
(Again assuming Oregon wins out) our collective record is 2-1, Colorado is 2-1, USC is 1-3. Tie breaker between us and Colorado becomes their win over oregon, so they get the 4.

So it really seems as though we NEED usc to lose to ucla.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Kryptocat wrote:New to the board. Here's my thought:
(Assuming Oregon doesn't lose this week) if we end up in a two way tie with USC, I believe they get the 4 seed. Both of us went winless vs oregon, split with ASU, but they would be 2-0 vs UCLA. This also assumes those stay the top three seeds.

If we end in a 3 way tie with Colorado and USC:
(Again assuming Oregon wins out) our collective record is 2-1, Colorado is 2-1, USC is 1-3. Tie breaker between us and Colorado becomes their win over oregon, so they get the 4.

So it really seems as though we NEED usc to lose to ucla.
In the case of the 3 way tie I think we actually get the 4 seed. Collective record eliminates Usc, and then you go h2h between us and CU in which we win. If that were a tie that is when we would use Oregon as the tiebreaker.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

My Pac tourney wish list:

-win at least two games
-beat either Oregon or UCLA
-make 75% of FTs in each game played
-actually prevail in a game decided by 5 or fewer points
Kryptocat

Post by Kryptocat »

Ah I miss read section 2b in the tie breaker rules. It does say if MORE than two team are still tied, so I believe you are correct.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Welcome to the board Krypto. Nice first post.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Kryptocat

Post by Kryptocat »

Chicat wrote:Welcome to the board Krypto. Nice first post.
Thanks!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:My Pac tourney wish list:

-win at least two games
What about shooting over 25% , not turning the ball over multiple times in the last few minutes, not slowing the game down to a halt to try to protect a 6 point game, Not having seniors play like freshmen, not having future NBA players play like mid majors?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:

-win at least two games
What about shooting over 25% , not turning the ball over multiple times in the last few minutes, not slowing the game down to a halt to try to protect a 6 point game, Not having seniors play like freshmen, not having future NBA players play like mid majors?
Yes, all good additions to the wish list. I tried not to get too crazy with this list because the longer it gets, the more unlikely it becomes.

Look, we're getting into the tourney if we go 2-0 this week, which I'd be really, really surprised if we fell short of. UW and WSU are not good teams, and we get them at McKale. The Pac tourney is just about seeding. If we can somehow win two games, I think we'll be a 5 or 6 seed. If we only win once, probably a 6 or 7 seed. And if we got knocked out in the first game, it'll be a 7 or 8. Our NET ranking is insane and seems to augur a higher seed almost regardless of what happens next week, but I'll believe it when I see it.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

A good breakdown of the PAC12 tournament seeding. Should we sweep we are in good shape for the 4th spot

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 9.amp.html" target="_blank
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

-win at least two games
Can I add one?

Continue to play aggressively if we are up by single digits after the final tv timeout.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:

-win at least two games
Can I add one?

Continue to play aggressively if we are up by single digits after the final tv timeout.
I meant for that to be implied in my final item, but yes, UPZF. For the love of god, it would be nice if they could finish a game assertively. Just one time.
wilbur1997

Post by wilbur1997 »

So what needs to happen for Arizona to get a 4th seed in the Pac 12 tourney? Is it just a win on Saturday vs Washington? Or do we need Colorado/USC to lose, too?
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

I think we want CU to win and we get a bye.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Dosia wrote:I think we want CU to win and we get a bye.
SC losing guarantees us a 4 seed....assuming we win.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

dmjcat wrote:
Dosia wrote:I think we want CU to win and we get a bye.
SC losing guarantees us a 4 seed....assuming we win.
That too. Sucks we have to bank on road teams to get it done but whatever. At least we will know where we can be seeded before our game starts.
eoe

Post by eoe »

1 seed - OREGON
2 seed - UCLA
3/4 seed: COLORADO, UA, ASU, USC (all teams at 10-7 currently)

UA as 3 seed, CU as 4 seed:
If UA beats UW
If ASU loses to Wazzou
If USC loses to UCLA
If CU beats Utah

UA as 4 seed, ASU as 3 seed:
If UA beats UW
If ASU beats Wazzou
If USC loses to UCLA
If CU loses to Utah

CU as 3 seed (swept USC), USC as 4 seed:
If UA loses to UW
If ASU loses to Wazzou
If USC beats UCLA
If CU beats Utah

ASU as 3 seed, UA as 4 seed:
If UA beats UW
If ASU beats Wazzou
If USC loses to Ucla
If CU beats Utah

UA as a 3 seed, CU as a 4 seed:
If UA beats UW
If ASU loses to Wazzou
If USC beats Ucla
If CU beats Utah

ASU as 4 seed, CU as 3 seed:
If UA loses to UW
If ASU loses to Wazzou
If USC loses to UCLA
If CU beats Utah

ASU as 3 seed, CU as 4 seed:
If UA beats UW
If ASU beats Wazzou
If USC beats UCLA
If CU beats Utah

If UA beats UW
If ASU loses to Wazzou
If USC loses to UCLA
If CU loses to Utah

UA as 4 seed, CU as 3 seed:
If UA loses to UW (3-2)
If ASU loses to Wazzou (2-3)
If USC loses to UCLA (2-4)
If CU loses to Utah (3-1)

A few scenarios to chew on...my head hurts
Last edited by eoe on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

eoe wrote:ASU as 3 seed, UA as 4 seed:
If UA beats UW
If ASU beats Wazzou
If USC loses to Ucla
If CU beats Utah
In this scenario, Arizona, ASU, and Colorado would be in a three-way tie at 11-7. Arizona would have the best collective win-loss record against the group and would get the 3 seed.
Formerly McLurvin
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheBlackLodge wrote:
If UA beats UW
If ASU beats Wazzou
If USC loses to Ucla
If CU beats Utah
In this scenario, Arizona, ASU, and Colorado would be in a three-way tie at 11-7. Arizona would have the best collective win-loss record against the group and would get the 3 seed.
Agree. In that scenario it would finish Arizona, Colorado, ASSu. Have to remember that the season opener between ASSu and Colorado doesn't count as a conference game.
eoe

Post by eoe »

azgreg wrote:
TheBlackLodge wrote:
If UA beats UW
If ASU beats Wazzou
If USC loses to Ucla
If CU beats Utah
Agree. In that scenario it would finish Arizona, Colorado, ASSu. Have to remember that the season opener between ASSu and Colorado doesn't count as a conference game.
Good call on that season-opener!

So collective won-lost percentage vs the 3 way tie would be:
3 seed - UA 66% (2-1)
4 seed - CU 50% (1-1)
5 seed - ASU 33% (1-2)

This would work out great and is the most likely outcome IMO
Can't lay an egg Saturday and need UCLA to come through
Kryptocat

Post by Kryptocat »

eoe wrote:1 seed - OREGON
2 seed - UCLA
3/4 seed: COLORADO, UA, ASU, USC (all teams at 10-7 currently)

If UA beats UW
If ASU loses to Wazzou
If USC loses to UCLA
If CU beats Utah

UA as 4 seed, ASU as 3 seed:
If UA beats UW
If ASU beats Wazzou
If USC loses to UCLA
If CU loses to Utah

CU as 3 seed (swept USC), USC as 4 seed:
If UA loses to UW
If ASU loses to Wazzou
If USC beats UCLA
If CU beats Utah

ASU as 3 seed, UA as 4 seed:
If UA beats UW
If ASU beats Wazzou
If USC loses to Ucla
If CU beats Utah

UA as a 3 seed, CU as a 4 seed:
If UA beats UW
If ASU loses to Wazzou
If USC beats Ucla
If CU beats Utah

ASU as 4 seed, CU as 3 seed:
If UA loses to UW
If ASU loses to Wazzou
If USC loses to UCLA
If CU beats Utah

If UA beats UW
If ASU beats Wazzou
If USC beats UCLA
If CU beats Utah

If UA beats UW
If ASU loses to Wazzou
If USC loses to UCLA
If CU loses to Utah

UA as 4 seed, CU as 3 seed:
If UA loses to UW (3-2)
If ASU loses to Wazzou (2-3)
If USC loses to UCLA (2-4)
If CU loses to Utah (3-1)

A few scenarios to chew on...my head hurts
Here's a (not so) fun scenario for us:
UA wins
ASU wins
USC wins
COLO loses

All three teams have a collective record of (2-2), ASU gets the 3 seed due to win over Oregon, USC gets the 4 seed because even though we both went winless vs Oregon, they would have 2 wins vs UCLA
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Not sure we can bank on ASU losing to Wazzu.

Wazzu sucks balls.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just stay out of the 5 spot. Washington is going to make some noise in Vegas I think. New season for them and they will ball out. 3 or 6 for us please
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Most realistic to me is ASU as the 3 and us as the 4.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Found this PAC12 Tournament Bracket Simulator.

If accurate we:
1) Need to beat UW
2) Need UCLA to beat USC
3) If USC wins we need WSU to win

bottom line is we need help to get a bye.

http://bball.notnothing.net/pac12.php?sport=mbb" target="_blank
Last edited by dmjcat on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

This is the most ridiculous thing, all I have to say is I do not want to play Washington 2 times in a row, hard to beat a team three times in a season. If we beat them at home and play them in Vegas, I will be concerned.

Fortunately Washington helps our net rankings win or lose.

So it's a win win even if we lose :D
-Norlander.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

This guy analyzed 32 different seeding scenarios:

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Artic ... 144662451/" target="_blank

Bottom line, we really, really need UCLA to beat USC. While there are ways we can still get a bye if USC wins, they are not statistically likely.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Yeah it is looking like Assu losing lowered our chances.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Feels like a perfect time for sUCLA to fuck us over.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

If UA beats UW
If ASU beats Wazzou
If USC beats UCLA
If CU beats Utah

Under this scenario, CU would have a collective 3-1 record (Beat USC twice, 1-0 against ASU, 0-1 against UA) 3 seed
UA would have a collective 3-2 record (Split against ASU and USC and 1-0 against CU) 4 seed
ASU would have a collective 2-3 record (Split against USC and UA and 0-1 against CU) 5 seed
USC would have a collective 2-4 record (split against ASU and UA and 0-2 against CU) 6 seed

So where did I go wrong.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ALASKACAT wrote:ASU as 3 seed, CU as 4 seed:
If UA beats UW
If ASU beats Wazzou
If USC beats UCLA
If CU beats Utah

Under this scenario, CU would have a collective 3-1 record (Beat USC twice, 1-0 against ASU, 0-1 against UA) 3 seed
UA would have a collective 3-2 record (Split against ASU and USC and 1-0 against CU) 4 seed
ASU would have a collective 2-3 record (Split against USC and UA and 0-1 against CU) 5 seed
USC would have a collective 2-4 record (split against ASU and UA and 0-2 against CU) 6 seed

So where did I go wrong.
In that scenario CU gets the 3 seed then the the breaker is rerun between the 3 remaining teams.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

More specifically for the 4 way tie (assuming Oregon win):

Colorado 3-1
Arizona 3-2
ASSu 2-3
USC 2-4

Colorado becomes #3 seed.

Then:
Arizona 2-2
ASSu 2-2
USC 2-2

ASSu becomes #4 seed with win over Oregon

Then:
Arizona 1-1
USC 1-1

USC becomes #5 seed with win over UCLA.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here's a cool interactive site: http://bball.notnothing.net/pac12.php?sport=mbb" target="_blank
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I had a dream UCLA lost and we were stuck with a Wednesday game. Hope it wasn't prophetic.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think it's cute that you are all so concerned with our seeding.... that it could actually make a difference if we win the tourney or not.