Cooler heads welcome here-SI Pt 2: (NOT) Blaming Sean Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

eoe

Cooler heads welcome here-SI Pt 2: (NOT) Blaming Sean Miller

Post by eoe »

Now that everyone's angst has started to simmer down:
Some snippets from a good write-up with a markedly objective assessment of the state of our program's coaching philosophy...a PLAYER'S program

https://www.si.com/college/arizona/bask ... ely-part-2" target="_blank

Miller and Arizona’s man-to-man defense
Zone defenses are gimmicky, designed to protect players who simply can’t play man-to-man defense. It’s notoriously used by teams that oftentimes don’t stack up against bigger, better teams. There’s a reason why the NBA is a man-to-man league, even though they now allow a modified, very limited version of zone defense looks.

For fans to criticize Miller for not playing zone defense is ludicrous. Wildcat faithful will point to Lute Olson’s 1-1-3 Zone defense of yesteryear, but even Olson only went into that defense in times of desperation. Olson’ best teams never played zone because they did not have to. Find me a game when Lute Olson’s 1993-94 team played a zone defense for anything more than perhaps a special possession or two. The same can be said for Arizona’s 1997 national championship team, or the 2001 squad that reached the national title game. It did not happen.

Why this is important is many of Miller’s best Wildcats chose Arizona over other schools because parents and guardians knew that Miller would coach the player up on defense and ready them for the NBA. I’ve done the interviews myself. Aaron Gordon, Nick Johnson, Stanley Johnson, T.J. McConnell, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, and Josh Green are just a few notables that come to mind. These Wildcats knew that learning man-to-man defense under Miller would better prepare them for a career in the NBA. Heck, even outsiders this year have noticed a steady improvement in Nico Mannion’s defense over the course of the season. This stuff matters to recruits and is a big reason why Miller is one of the elite recruiters in the college game.

There's more interesting insight and argument for digestion, but wanted to start a topic not in a massive index of compiled topics (ie. Sean Miller thread)...
ChooChooCat

Re: Cooler heads welcome here-SI Pt 2: (NOT) Blaming Sean Mi

Post by ChooChooCat »

Miller is one of the elite recruiters in the game because he puts in a lot of effort and has the Arizona name backing him. He wasn't jack shit of a recruiter at Xavier. Any coach hired to coach at Arizona that would put in a decent amount of effort would be able to recruit very well to Arizona.

I do not ever want to hear we can't move on from Sean Miller because of recruiting. It does not fly.
eoe

Post by eoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Miller is one of the elite recruiters in the game because he puts in a lot of effort and has the Arizona name backing him. He wasn't jack shit of a recruiter at Xavier. Any coach hired to coach at Arizona that would put in a decent amount of effort would be able to recruit very well to Arizona.

I do not ever want to hear we can't move on from Sean Miller because of recruiting. It does not fly.
I think the focus is more on the angst that people have watching us "not adapt" defensively or not comprehending how the offense can stink it up

The recruiting aspect I completely disagree with you on, sure we may be able to recruit at an elite level going forward now, but I do not give the Arizona brand nearly as much respect as you seem to circa 2006-2009
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

eoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Miller is one of the elite recruiters in the game because he puts in a lot of effort and has the Arizona name backing him. He wasn't jack shit of a recruiter at Xavier. Any coach hired to coach at Arizona that would put in a decent amount of effort would be able to recruit very well to Arizona.

I think the focus is more on the angst that people have watching us "not adapt" defensively or not comprehending how the offense can stink it up

The recruiting aspect I completely disagree with you on, sure we may be able to recruit at an elite level going forward now, but I do not give the Arizona brand nearly as much respect as you seem to circa 2006-2009
Believe me it's still plenty strong regardless of our current stature.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think you're right on the money, Choo. The AZ brand and resources will enable most coaches to be very successful recruiting-wise.

If AZ misses the tourney this year (highly unlikely but not impossible), I think there's going to be a lot of pressure for a coaching change. Our situation reminds me a little of what's happening with Harbaugh at Michigan. At the time he was hired, that was about as much of a "homerun hire" they could've made. A Michigan alum who'd already won a Rose Bowl and coached in the pros. Fast forward a few years and Harbaugh is not having the success Michigan fans and alums anticipated. OSU still owns them, in spite of Michigan getting excellent recruiting classes and beginning the season highly ranked. Maybe winning a Big 10 title in football is much more difficult than winning a Pac 12 hoops title. Not sure.

Anyway, even if we *do* reach the tourney, anything short of the Sweet 16 will just deepen the sense that this season has been hugely disappointing. One of Miller's greater failures as a coach.

Green is injured, Hazzard is mysteriously AWOL, and our team is circling the drain. A deep tourney run from this team would be one of the more shocking endings to a season for quite some time.

Miller does not seem to be enjoying himself this year. He's as joyless as his players. Something's up with him. Not sure if it's weariness from the scandal and ensuing media shitstorm or something else altogether.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Skimmed the article to see his headlined talking points... Saw this. Closed the browser and stared out my window.

Miller and Arizona’s offense
"There is nothing wrong with Arizona’s offense."
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

TucsonClip wrote:Skimmed the article to see his headlined talking points... Saw this. Closed the browser and stared out my window.

Our offense is out of the 80s. Get a modern offense that takes advantage of your athleticism. Jesus.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lando05 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Skimmed the article to see his headlined talking points... Saw this. Closed the browser and stared out my window.

Our offense is out of the 80s. Get a modern offense that takes advantage of your athleticism. Jesus.
Exactly. Actually, the only times we've seen outstanding offense under Miller is when we've had elite offensive players: Gordon, D. Williams, Ayton, Lauri. The rest of the time, it's been a defense-oriented approach to basketball that, when working, produces turnovers and high percentage baskets. Miller is a below-average halfcourt offense coach.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

What is point of the guard bringing ball to top of key, having the 5 come out for a screen that the guard goes around at a really slow pace? It seems like the screen is pointless.
But maybe it serves a purpose?
Maybe Clip can explain?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Our offense is maddeningly predictable and easy to defend.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Lando05 wrote:

You mean like the Duke offense that scored 50 today against Virginia?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

UCLA had no issue stymying our offense for the last 4 minutes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Then taking Xavier to the elite eight was just good coaching?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

WildcatStunner wrote:UCLA had no issue stymying our offense for the last 4 minutes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wasn’t them stymying shit. It’s our stupid slow down offense even when we beat the press and end up with a 3 on 2 and dribble off our feet and step out of bounds.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

When you score 7 more field goals then the other team with the same number of 3's, win the rebounding and assist battle but lose by 19 points at the line it is hard to win a game. Our defense is coming around. Still struggling in the last 4 mins on offense.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Officiating was trash on both sides. They sure know how to be inconsistent.