Top 15 Arizona Line-Ups

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: Top 15 Arizona Line-Ups

Post by azcat49 »

On one of Fred’s team we had Bob Elliott, Phil Taylor, Jerome Gladney, Larry “doc” Demic, and Brian Jung. Those were his 4 and 5’s.

That 75-76 team started 5-5 but had away games at #18 Kansas St, #16 UNLV where they lost by 4, at Illinois, at #6 Cincinnati where we win and at Iowa. I think that prepared us and was the type of pre season schedule we used to always admire about Lute. Fred played it like that as well.

We won 5 of our last 6 conference games to win the league by two games although going into the last day we were one game up and Elliott had 38 points and 25 rebounds against ASSU.

We then beat Georgetown and JohnThompson (the first NCAA game to feature two African American coaches), they moved to the semifinals of the region and beat UNLV 114-109 in OT in a great, great game. We had to play UCLA at home and the game was tied late, I think 60-60 but we had key foul troubles and we had spent ourselves the previous night (played back to back then) and lost in the last 4 minutes 82-66
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

How much liberty is allowed to move players from the positions they played most of their minutes?

Kerr played point guard with McMillan at the 2. Likewise Muehlbach was primarily a point guard with Othick a combo.

Coniel played most of the time at the 3 -- certainly anytime Rappis was healthy.

Rondae at the 2 seems a stretch to me too.

Can't resist bagging on Ed Stokes. Poor kid regressed each year, had hands of stone and could barely dunk the ball despite being 7 ft. Bramlett belongs higher than Stokes.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

azcat49 wrote:...Elliott had 38 points and 25 rebounds against ASSU.
He did have that game but it was when he was a Freshman (1973-74) and he did it in McKale against Senior Ron "The Rock" Kennedy of The Normal School. It was a heck of a fun game. Guy in front of me spent the entire game screaming "sit down Wulk, you creep."
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well in any game those are numbers we won’t see ever again. Kennedy was a huge dude so if it was his freshman year that is incredibly more impressive
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I'll go with:

Bob Elliott C
Sean Elliott SF
Mike Bibby PG
Salim Stoudamire SG
Derrick Williams PF

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

97cats wrote:Herm Harris and Pete Williams are on the final list

guys like Bill Davis, Eddie Myers, Albert Johnson, Bill Werner, Bill Reeves, Ernie McCray and Joe Skaisgir while all worthy I’m sure but I have no frame of reference for them.
I was at Pueblo HS with Eddie Myers. He was a year ahead of me, IIRC. It was kinda embarrassing turning a corner and find that I was staring into his belt buckle.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.