Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Re: Lute

Post by Alieberman »

Loved these!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Like some announcer said many years ago: 'There are only 2 college basketball coaches where if they walk into a restaurant, everybody stops talking: Bobby Knight, and Lute Olson".

That's legend. Knight blew his chance though.

I was lucky enough to be there when he was hired. Unfortunately the basketball team was in disarray after the Snowden and Lindsey years, and Larry Smith was doing good things with the football team. UA was a football school then, and the basketball program didn't get the support it deserved, including me.

Don't think I have ever missed a UA basketball game since outside of rare occasions.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

“RIP Coach” is the third most popular trending topic on Twitter right now.

Just goes to show just how truly far reaching Lute’s influence was.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote:Like some announcer said many years ago: 'There are only 2 college basketball coaches where if they walk into a restaurant, everybody stops talking: Bobby Knight, and Lute Olson".

That's legend. Knight blew his chance though.

I was lucky enough to be there when he was hired. Unfortunately the basketball team was in disarray after the Snowden and Lindsey years, and Larry Smith was doing good things with the football team. UA was a football school then, and the basketball program didn't get the support it deserved, including me.

Don't think I have ever missed a UA basketball game since outside of rare occasions.
I was in the PF Chang's on River when Lute walked in to get his take out and everyone stopped talking for a bit. We all felt like we were in the presence of greatness for sure
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

My only experience "meeting" Lute was in February 2007 during his last season. At the time I was a junior at the UA and working in the receiving department of the bookstore at the union (unloaded the merchandise and textbooks from the trucks in the loading dock and took them downstairs and put tags on them and got them ready to go upstairs). One afternoon I was going up the freight elevator to the loading dock with my pallet jack to get some merchandise and the doors ding open and since there was literally never anyone up there I just shoved the jack out the doors and went full speed ahead...and almost took out Lute with the jack. Apparently he had just finished his weekly radio show on 1290 AM and always left through the loading dock to avoid attention. I don't really remember what happened then aside from being frozen in horror that I nearly crushed Lute's ankles with a pallet jack. I remember him smiling and he might have said something to me but I was just standing petrified and then he walked out to his car that was in the loading dock.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I knew this was coming.

In a general sense the last few years, and in a more immediate way the last few days.

And yet here I am, laying in bed around midnight next to my sleeping wife. A 40-something year old man silently crying over the death of a man I only met once.

But when I think of all the joy his teams brought me, and how so many of my oldest friendships were formed because of a mutual love of what he built. Maybe it’s no surprise his passing isn’t something I can just shrug off.

We are family, and we just lost our father. I think I’ll keep shedding these tears until there are no more left to shed.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Ugh this one sucks even if you saw it coming.

Lute is the reason we all have so much passion for Arizona Basketball, and UofA in general. He paved the way, and literally put little ol Tucson on the map. He signed my book of his some years back at an event that I read twice. Much much respect to this man. RIP
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Put myself on hiatus around here, but had to come back to say that my knowledge of the UofA started only when Coach O moved here from Iowa. I’m saddened tonight, but know a man of his honor went out on a good path. My weekend will be spent remembering him. Rest on high, gentleman. We are better for having known you.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Ugh sad news. Met him numerous times and he was a very kind gentleman. Very inspiring and he commanded a room. He made people want to be better than they were because he expected that of you. You knew this was going to happen but still it is like a guy punch, unexpected. I do hope we can find a way to celebrate his life and what he meant to us as a community
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So many wonderful and touching posts in this thread. Thanks, guys.

I’m heartbroken over this. Lute is, not was, Arizona basketball. His arrival in Tucson and his ability to build a championship program are major milestones not just in AZ basketball history but in the university’s history. How many UofA figures elevated the stature and prestige of the institution to an extent comparable to Lute? John Salmon? Richard Harvill? Lute is one of the four faces on the UofA Mt. Rushmore, and it’s possible he’s the first one.

This is all to say, Lute’s impact on our school -- and on me personally — is hard to overstate. I’ll always love the guy and wish his family peace and warmth while they’re mourning their loss.

RIP, Coach.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

We moved to Tucson in late '97, and now with less than a tiny fraction of time and meaning that all of you have had with Lute it feels like I've lost some precious thing I never really knew.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I graduated UA in 97 and was on 4th Avenue after the national championship. The Arizona Daily Star printed up a special edition (which I still have). I was holding it up for the vehicles to see as they were driving down 4th Avenue. I saw the National Championship game at Gentle Bens. I loved that place because they have their own brewery. What a special time to be at school at UA.

I moved to Tucson in late 1990 from Indiana, and it took me a few years to get to love Arizona basketball. I came from W. Lafayette, Indiana and attended multiple Purdue games. I saw Gene Keady's teams for many years (a way underrated coach). Indiana basketball is always fun to watch because it is declared a religion. I played organized ball in high school, so understood the strategy and necessary drills. Plus, I was able to watch Lute Olson coach when Iowa came to town. In 1980 Purdue and Iowa played in the Final Four (before Gene Keady) in the consolation game.

I remember the 87-88 Arizona team that blew a great Purdue team off the floor. Purdue was good enough to make the Final Four, but their heart breakers rival Arizona's. At that time I thought of Arizona as a powerhouse. I ended up moving to Tucson and still wanted to follow Purdue.. Two things that changed my allegiance. One is I decided to attend the UA. And the second is sports media hadn't evolved. It was rare to watch Purdue in Tucson, and Arizona games were on all the time. I remember by 1994 I was totally hooked. Purdue is a sentimental favorite now (I've been to Mackey Arena dozens of times. Purdue fans understand basketball and know how to motivate a team). Yet McKale rivaled any great arena in the nation.

When Lute had has teams hitting on all cylinders they were fun to watch. High-speed transition basketball will always be my favorite. I could see Lute tried to emulate John Wooden. And when Arizona clicked they were the best entertainment to be found. It is one reason why so many famous coaches had so much respect for Lute Olson (like Roy Williams - who played the same style of ball). I understand why Sean Miller is a good coach. But he emphasizes defense and, therefore, will never match the thrilling up-and-down court basketball that was a Lute trademark.

Lute is a legend in Tucson and may his statue always be on a pedestal to show the best of Tucson.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Watching Tucson news this morning..... It's nothing but Lute.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I only met Lute once - in Allen Fieldhouse, of all places!!!

I attended the great U of A comeback victory over KU when Salim led the Cats back from a 20-point halftime deficit. MY friend and I spent time after the game exploring Allen Fieldhouse, and encountered Lute as he left the empty court after a post-game interview (I guess). He walked right past us, and I guess my red Arizona sweatshirt caught his eye - We congratulated him and shook his hand - I was a starstruck kid (@ 56 years old!!!).

That game was just another of the awesome catalogue of great memories that Lute brought to Arizona fans!!! I (and we all) will never forget him!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

RIP Coach O. The news had me tearing up last night as I read all of the former players and media members posts on twitter, you could tell he was loved by all.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Watching Tucson news this morning..... It's nothing but Lute.
It is so incredibly unfair that Tucson can’t mourn this man in the big public way he deserves.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I was expecting this, I was ready for this, and I’m still crying like a bitch today. I’ve had the privilege of meeting the man twice, the most we talked was for about 5 minutes, and yet only my mother’s death surpassed the emotions I currently have right now.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
It is so incredibly unfair that Tucson can’t mourn this man in the big public way he deserves.
They have to do a parade of some sort when it makes sense to do so. Some sort of memorial at McKale as well to end it.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
They have to do a parade of some sort when it makes sense to do so. Some sort of memorial at McKale as well to end it.
Yeah I don't think its an If, but when. Lute meant so much to the city of Tucson and I can't wait to tell my kids about him when they get older.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If the family is okay with it, it would be great to celebrate Lute in a year to give him the celebration of his amazing life that he deserves and Tucson wants to give him. Arizona Stadium would be packed for it.

Actually what Arizona wants to give him. He obviously meant so much to Tucson but he also meant so much to all of Arizona. Just with texting friends I know at least 10 people already who would go from the Phoenix area to Tucson for a public memorial for Lute.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

RIP, Coach Olson. Oh, the memories you have given us.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Just wanted to come back here and pay my respects ..... Coach O is responsible for the peak of my fandom and 1997 is the best sports ride of my life. And for everything he was as a coach , he was an even better human being by all accounts.

Rest easy coach along w Bobbi now!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It's good to see some older members of these forums posting and lurking (I see you Katz)

Without Lute there would not have been a BearDownWildcats site.
KCF

Post by KCF »

I will never forget the parade for the return from the National Championship. It was my senior year and I was standing on Campbell and 5th as they approached. I saw Coach and I lost my shit and just ran to his car. Shook his hand he hugged me and I said thank you for this memory. I will never forget him saying no thank you for these memories. After he didnt push me away other kids started rushing to the players and coach to shake their hands.

I could never put into words what this man meant to this city. RIP Coach and thanks again for all the memories.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Met Lute as a freshman football manager working in McKale. Shook my hand with that big ole ring. I was starstruck. We moved to LSFF the next season so didn't see him for another 6 or 8 months. Walks right up to me "Hey ***** how you doing?!" and shook my hand again. That shit stuck with me. Remembered my name from a 30 second meeting for another 6 months. Rest easy Coach.
cpt

Post by cpt »

In 1997, I worked in the State Senate. A few days after the championship - which I drove down to witness at Gentle Ben's - the Legislature passed a resolution in the team's honor. Lute came up for it he was hanging out in one of the Senator's offices (Soltero) before going on the floor. Senator Soltero knew what a big fan I was. He called me and said to come up to the office that someone wants to meet me. I went up knowing Lute was there. Had my official Damon jersey on. He greeted me warmly and said "it's Damon! You know he had 22 the other night!" (I looked it up later and he was right - he always kept up with his guys in the NBA). We had a nice 5 minute conversation and he signed my copy of the legislative resolution which I still treasure. What a man.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I don't think I've ever been this upset about the passing of a person who wasn't an immediate family member/dear friend.
I had the pleasure of meeting Lute a good number of times, had a few handfuls of conversations with him, and he was always beyond gracious to me and everyone else I know that had met the man.

In Tucson, I don't even know if the word "Legend" is big enough to define what Lute has meant here.

I hope there's an afterlife and he's busy catching up with Bobbi right now.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Loving all these personal stories... keep em coming.

I have seen Lute countless times at games, wondering around on campus, at restaurants and at the airport. Too many times to remember. I've never been the type of person to just approach famous people (always wanted to just never had the guts) but I would always try to give a "Hey Lute" or "BearDown" and every time without fail he would look over smile and wave. I've never seen him be put off by the attention. Ever

So of course my wife sends me this pic from the 1 day she decided to bring our young son with her to work at the UofA to make me jealous

BearDown
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Incredibly sad to lose such an amazing person. Had the pleasure of talking to him several times over the years at camps, at restaurants, in his golf cart at La Paloma and thru Bobbi who saw I wanted his autograph on a' 97 ball after a game in the parking lot. She handed the ball to him and said sign it for this young man. I just remembered I took a polaroid of him sitting on top of the convertible heading down Broadway after we won. Ive got to find that photo. Rest in Peace Coach! We will be celebrating your life in Tucson for a very long time
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Brian Jeffries - 770 pregame interviews, 680 post-game interviews, 320 radio shows, 60 TV shows, thousands of miles and memories. Gracious and giving always. Coach Olson set the standard. We’re so fortunate to have been along for the ride.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

RIP Lute. I graduated in 99 but never got to meet you. I regret missing out on that. I always admired you from afar. Love reading all these stories.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Gonna buy a bunch this weekend.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Maybe Heeke and Robbins will step up and bring back the cactus.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

97 championship game on Pac12 network right now
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

It's impossible for me to think back to my childhood in Tucson and not associate it with following the Cats and Coach Olson. I have a vivid recollection of listening to games on the radio, or the frenzy (and heartbreak) around the 88 Final Four, etc etc. I didn't have the good fortune to meet Coach Olson when I was a kid, but regardless, his figure loomed so large in the community. He didn't just put the UofA on the map, it was bigger than that. I remember getting goosebumps as a kid when Tucson or Arizona were mentioned on national TV thanks to Lute's Cats. I'm certain many on here can attest to that same feeling. That hometown pride, due in large part to Coach Olson.

Later on in life I was a student at the UofA when the Cats made their second Final Four, and then again in 97. I remember being in the stadium when the team came home and thinking how happy we should all be for Coach Olson. He had done so much for the city, and as some ex players have pointed out now, it felt like all along he was still under appreciated. People actually questioned his abilities because Arizona got bounced a couple of times early in the tournament. Mind you there was that second Final Four mixed in there... Like, WTF?! People are shitty and spoiled sometimes. I only had one super brief encounter with him, a year after the title. It was like seeing God.

Sorry for the ramble but I'm missing Tucson more than usual today, maybe I should rephrase that... I'm missing Lute's Tucson. I look forward to the big memorial he will undoubtedly get in the near future.
RIP Coach Olson
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It makes me happy and proud to see the national media treating Lute as the icon he is. He wasn’t just an important person to UA and Tucson. He was one of the most important people in sports. Full stop.

I appreciate them giving the man his due. RIP Coach.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:It makes me happy and proud to see the national media treating Lute as the icon he is. He wasn’t just an important person to UA and Tucson. He was one of the most important people in sports. Full stop.

I appreciate them giving the man his due. RIP Coach.
Totally, Chi. A lot of really nice tributes this weekend.