Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Alieberman »

Merkin wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:56 am After reading the UA was interviewing JeT, Miles and Damon, Lloyd doesn't seem so bad after all.

But then again, outside of the courtesy interview, announcing such poor candidates was probably intentionally so we all come to that conclusion.
I think you are exactly right. One would think top notch coaches would be considered for this job but people are suddenly falling in love with Lloyd because of the horrifying potential of Lloyd not getting the job.

It's a brilliant move
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

“Just be happy we didn’t hire the other guy” is not the way top notch programs are supposed to act and yet here we are.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It's kind of like saying "Stop insisting on masks, distancing, locking down, and whining about 530,000 pandemic deaths; it could have been way worse!"
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:47 am “Just be happy we didn’t hire the other guy” is not the way top notch programs are supposed to act and yet here we are.
The marketing team have their 1st slogan!
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Lloyd has a ton of upside, but it's a big risk having him cut his teeth as head men's basketball coach at Arizona. Lloyd could be the next Roy Williams. Or he could be the Arizona Basketball version of Mike Stoops. Good assistant, but just not cut out to be the main guy.

Hiring Stoops after Mackovic had us at the bottom was a well calculated risk. If it works, great. If not, things couldn't get any worse. As is, Stoops got us out of a hole, but couldn't take us all the way to the top.

Arizona Men's Basketball is different. We're not at rock bottom. We've been to the top before, and aren't that far away now. If Lloyd is more M. Stoops than Williams, we'll have taken a big step back as a basketball program. If Lloyd is more Williams, then I think we'll all be very happy.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

ezinaz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:34 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:22 am
Dave wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:54 am I have been doing a lot of thinking and researching over the past couple of days and have concluded that I would be 100% behind the hiring of Tommy Lloyd.

Here is a must watch interview that will really get you excited about him as a person and coach. You have to watch the part he talks about offensive sets. It starts at the 26 minute mark.
https://youtu.be/Zhs3zVJOQPM
Well, I'm sold. I really hope this gets announced soon.
So crazy as I was listening to this yesterday and that's the exact part of the interview that I was coming in to share.

Tommy Lloyd on Dan Dickau's Bulldog Broadcast, Feb. 23, 2021

On his experience with basketball in Europe:
You know I think once I started to get exposed to things in Europe I started to see the game a different way and I chose to really pursue that. Spend time watching it...and learning it and trying to implement some of those things at Gonzaga. And I can really see the last 8 to 5 years the US game has definitely trended and been more influenced by what's happened in Europe with the ball screen spacing and movement stuff and reads.
On Gonzaga's playing style:
One of the things we really try to emphasize with our guys is how we move on offense. How we move and how we react to each other and having a basic understanding of what we want to do in certain spacing scenarios. The beauty of our system and you know a lot of it is Coach Few is I think we get more enjoyment out of our players creating a good play on their own from the concepts we play rather than us calling a perfect set.

To me that's one of the biggest things that when I watch teams play that there's this control factor that a lot of American coaches want on the game that sometimes I think in the end it almost ends up inhibiting their team and their players aren't able to make adjustments ... make reads to free flow and to play with this conceptual understanding.

And I know I mean that's what we really try to hammer on is just how to play not run plays. We spend a bunch of time with it ... it takes alot .. and yeah you are prone to make mistakes but I think what it also does it it opens up an element of creativity that makes it fun to play in ... and hard to play against.
Well dang it! Reading this makes me more optimistic.

Still pissed that they treated miller so poorly, but I was gonna be all in on rooting for whatever the hell kind of assemblage of a team there was left to go in to the next year so hopefully they don't completely poke the pooch on the hire.

Some of the things Lloyd is saying here are some of things we were hoping miller would change on a little.

Although I really freaking hope he can draw up a decent inbounds short shot clock play and a gol dang run out the clock play that has a chance of scoring better than dribble out the clock and put up a step back 3 from the logo with 3 hands in your face and that he tells the kids you gotta start moving before there's 8 seconds left!!

That's not asking too much is it?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It was an ok listen frankly. I liked the offensive vision which is more about letting the players be more creative as opposed to confining the offense to set plays.

There was one word that was conspicuously absent- defense.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Musselman is the man to be going after. It's time to ante up instead of cheaping out. You have to spend money to make money. The whole 'we don't have the money to hire a good HC right now' BS is boiling my blood. You either want to win or you don't; you find a way to get it done or you get the hell out of the way and let someone else do it that has competence and a pair of balls. Arizona is a sleeping giant that won't awaken unless we bring the right guy in. Swing for the fences and go after Musselman. The worst that can happen is he turns us down. Boo hoo. I'm sick of all the all so rans being suggested that will never return us to a program of national prominence. Quit kidding yourselves. Go big or go home. It's that simple.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Captain Obvious wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:47 pm Musselman is the man to be going after. It's time to ante up instead of cheaping out. You have to spend money to make money. The whole 'we don't have the money to hire a good HC right now' BS is boiling my blood. You either want to win or you don't; you find a way to get it done or you get the hell out of the way and let someone else do it that has competence and a pair of balls. Arizona is a sleeping giant that won't awaken unless we bring the right guy in. Swing for the fences and go after Musselman. The worst that can happen is he turns us down. Boo hoo. I'm sick of all the all so rans being suggested that will never return us to a program of national prominence. Quit kidding yourselves. Go big or go home. It's that simple.
Well I think we are going home...
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:42 pm It was an ok listen frankly. I liked the offensive vision which is more about letting the players be more creative as opposed to confining the offense to set plays.

There was one word that was conspicuously absent- defense.

Maybe Salvo can have a convo with him.

Look, I’m still pissed at the way Sean was treated, how bigot Robbins has decided to be the de facto AD, and how the actual AD has rolled over on his back and pissed himself like a puppy, but I wish any new UofA coach success. I’m not going to be present for too many UofA athletics events until Robbins and Heeke are elsewhere (although there is a wine tasting I might attend if I don’t have to dress up...), but I hope Lloyd (if he arrives) and Fisch take UofA to the mountaintop. I will also continue to hope that Miller Time doesn’t end up in Tempe.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Siempre Verde wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:24 pm I will also continue to hope that Miller Time doesn’t end up in Tempe.
Think it's more likely that ASU hires Kevin O'Neill.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Flight tracker time!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If you want to win the pressor have Kerr there to endorse the pick since you obviously didn't use his knowledge you might as well use his likeness. Thought it was generous for Kerr to volunteer to help but these guys are too smart to use a multi ring winner as a player and a coach. Two asshol$$ running amuck. Kerr might know of a great NBA assistant to be the head coach kind of like Howard at Michigan. A guy from the POP tree maybe. Or maybe he would say Lloyd but we will never know. At least use him to help whomever it is get a good start.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

No picts from the bushes associated with that flight tracker info?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:49 pm Flight tracker time!
Oh shit it looks like it crashed in Scottsdale. Anyone know where Chicat is?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I just hope Jason Terry is held on as a coach.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheCat wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:17 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:49 pm Flight tracker time!
Oh shit it looks like it crashed in Scottsdale. Anyone know where Chicat is?
Indiana .... unfortunately.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

It went to Vegas after Scottsdale

Spent a lot of time in Alaska
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Anyone know whose plane that is?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Fucking Sheer.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Legit Scheer is just fucking with everyone at this point.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:49 pm Anyone know whose plane that is?
I'm sure it's just some random plane and Scheer is just jerking our chain.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Ok
Thanks.
Last edited by Postmaster on Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:47 pm Musselman is the man to be going after. It's time to ante up instead of cheaping out. You have to spend money to make money. The whole 'we don't have the money to hire a good HC right now' BS is boiling my blood. You either want to win or you don't; you find a way to get it done or you get the hell out of the way and let someone else do it that has competence and a pair of balls. Arizona is a sleeping giant that won't awaken unless we bring the right guy in. Swing for the fences and go after Musselman. The worst that can happen is he turns us down. Boo hoo. I'm sick of all the all so rans being suggested that will never return us to a program of national prominence. Quit kidding yourselves. Go big or go home. It's that simple.
Well, shit! I never thought I would agree with anything that Corporal Oblivious posted, yet, here I am.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

azgreg wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:54 pm Fucking Sheer.
Yeah, not a good time to be fucking with us. I may not be happy with Lloyd, but there are literally no better choices out there.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

I think Scheer is just fucking with everyone. If the official announcement and presser is Monday I'd assume the national media, probably Goodman, will be leaking this from our administration at some point tomorrow.
I said what I said and I mean it.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Maybe Miller tossed some money at Lloyd to not take the job.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:15 pm
Well, shit! I never thought I would agree with anything that Corporal Oblivious posted, yet, here I am.
But some of the people that could do that are not too happy with the admin
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

If you are really going to step up, go get Cal
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

IrishAzCat wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:40 pm Maybe Miller tossed some money at Lloyd to not take the job.
Yeah, ESPN is going to report Miller is paying him $10,000.00 a month, apparently captured via a phone tap.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I bet they hire a coach from Europe. We get players from overseas, why not coaches? Obradovic, welcome to Tucson!!
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

In other Flight Aware news, tail number N179WC* is scheduled to fly from TUS to GEG tomorrow at 1330. No return is on-line at the moment.

*Owned by Bank of Utah Trustee.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Apparently Ranne repped Dead Fisch as well. Fuck Robbins.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

We really should know today if this is a done deal. At this point seal the deal and let’s get on with it.

I’m done fretting about our spineless and egotistical President and AD.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Should I remember Jason ranne?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:10 am Should I remember Jason ranne?
A walk on who eventually got a scholarship and was a co-captain his senor year

https://arizonawildcats.com/news/2013/4 ... 09497.aspx

Now he is COO for https://www.teamwass.com/
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Just get it over with already. Make the announcement official so he can get to work. There are still good transfer portal options out there he can go after. Still some kids he could maybe snag in this recruiting class. The longer we wait the less time he has to try to make our roster the best it possibly can. If he can steal Fanbo Zeng I'd be very happy, that's my big want. Fanbo and Azuolas running the front court would be insane. Also read Lloyd Loved jordan brown when he was recruiting him outta high school. So that's cool
I said what I said and I mean it.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Yeah let's get this thing announced.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

TOS (PPU) is reporting it's done.
Lloyd for 2.88 mil a year.
Fwiw

Edit, oops had the number wrong.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

fwiw Scheer still thinks it's going to happen eventually
Last edited by 84Cat on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

84Cat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:05 am
Tried like 5 times to embed this tweet and couldn’t get it to work for the life of me. :D
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:44 pm It went to Vegas after Scottsdale

ESPN to run article on our new coaches gambling problem.....
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Choo? Is this for you?
cats101

Post by cats101 »

84Cat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:05 am fwiw Scheer still thinks it's going to happen eventually
Anyone else think this sounds spoon fed directly from Heeke or Robbins?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

TheCat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:45 am

Gambling, drinking, womanizing......hobbies.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

cats101 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:08 am
84Cat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:05 am fwiw Scheer still thinks it's going to happen eventually
Anyone else think this sounds spoon fed directly from Heeke or Robbins?
Yes. Chatter on Gonzaga side that Tommy accepted days before interviews with AZ linked candidates, and that those were done as a courtesy for someone/booster to sign off.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

If Lloyd is the new head coach, he should offer this kid a scholarship.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:11 am
TheCat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:45 am

Gambling, drinking, womanizing......hobbies.
Then why aren’t we getting Pitino???