Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Dosia

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Dosia »

Well you would think today is the day an offer will be made. The new coach needs to get to work.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think we got our guy from Arkansas!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:15 am I think we got our guy!
Pennell>>>>>>>Pastner

And I don’t say that facetiously
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

I agree. Especially with ABOR meeting this Thursday, and then not again til the summer. Gotta get it done soon so ABOR can agree. I know originally everyone was saying a presser was scheduled for today, but not looking that way anymore. Probably tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. Man we really screwed the pooch on this one
I said what I said and I mean it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Where's he going in Phoenix?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Dave wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 am I am not buying the boosters wanting an alum rumors. The alum pool got pretty weak after Kerr and Walton publicly announced they were not interested.

I wouldn't even be tempted with Musselman. The guy has had 16 different coaching jobs in the last 30 years. He is always looking for greener pastures.
Musselman, were he to accept and coach at Arizona, is likely to bolt with the right NBA offer. There is zero reason to believe he'd want to stay in Tucson for the long haul (more than 5 years).
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I’m stressing out and have little to no faith in tweedle dee and tweedle dumb to get the right coach. I’m refreshing every 10 minutes to see which version of Hell we will be in.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I still think it’ll be Lloyd in the end, but in pure Arizona fashion we’re stumbling to the finish line.
BeardownZonaZona

Thanks Choo! Do you think it's possible Lloyd pulls out because of the disaster that is our administration?
ezinaz

Post by ezinaz »

zonagrad wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:04 am
Dave wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 am I am not buying the boosters wanting an alum rumors. The alum pool got pretty weak after Kerr and Walton publicly announced they were not interested.

I wouldn't even be tempted with Musselman. The guy has had 16 different coaching jobs in the last 30 years. He is always looking for greener pastures.
Musselman, were he to accept and coach at Arizona, is likely to bolt with the right NBA offer. There is zero reason to believe he'd want to stay in Tucson for the long haul (more than 5 years).
Who cares?
Give us 5 years of solid recruiting and getting the program back on track would be worth it. He could then hand the reins of a restored national power program to another solid candidate as by that time coaches would be tripping over themselves to take the Arizona job. Optimistic view here but I've never understood the thinking of worrying about what the coach wants to do 5 years down the line.
Last edited by ezinaz on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:39 am I still think it’ll be Lloyd in the end, but in pure Arizona fashion we’re stumbling to the finish line.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:41 am Thanks Choo! Do you think it's possible Lloyd pulls out because of the disaster that is our administration?
At the moment no, but if this continues to drag on too long then yeah he’ll grow tired of the shit and pull out.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

It should have been CSM still as coach. But once the trigger was pulled to can him we had to follow up on Lloyd. Lloyd has experience in teaching college age players. And I believe he has amazing potential. What. or who, got into Robbins head to go after Musselman? What this tells me is Robbins doesn't care about the appearance of someone who is shady. Musselman would never be here for the long haul and Lloyd could. Short-sightedness. CSM was loyal to the end and didn't deserved getting stabbed in the back. Lloyd got stabbed in the back when Robbins second guessed his decision at the last minute. If anyone needs to have his contract ended abruptly it is Robbins.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Lloyd seems like a really great candidate.

I wish they would hurry up and close on him and leave this other nonsense behind.

Tommy!!!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ezinaz wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:42 am

Who cares?
Give us 5 years of solid recruiting and getting the program back on track would be worth it. He could then hand the reins of a restored national power program to another solid candidate as by that time coaches would be tripping over themselves to take the Arizona job. Optimistic view here but I've never understood the thinking of worrying about what the coach wants to do 5 years down the line.
Totally agree.... 10 times out of 10 give me a coach who will bolt for greener pastures than 1 will be fired for leaving the program in worse shape than when he / she got here.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

How in the hell is the rest of our teams doing so well for the most part with these two dipshits in control?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:39 am I still think it’ll be Lloyd in the end, but in pure Arizona fashion we’re stumbling to the finish line.
Haha...reminds me of a time long ago after an all-night bender one of my friends turned to me with his his head pounding and pleaded "why, why do we do this to ourselves??!!". I could only look at him and respond calmly "it's what we do."

At Arizona it's what we do...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ezinaz wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:42 am

Who cares?
Beilein did pretty well in only 5 years at WVA. He stayed longer at Michigan but arguably "brought them back." Not sure Howard would be having this success without the years Beilein gave them.

I'd be all in on hiring someone like Musselman or Beilein, short-term fixes to stabilize things, reestablish recruiting channels, and get us trending in the right direction. This would be my second choice after Lloyd.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Musselman is a better, safer choice than Lloyd. Musselman has a solid track record at Nevada and Arkansas, versus Lloyd, who has never been a college head coach anywhere. If we did things right, which I doubt, then we told Lloyd we will explore Muss' interest and then make a decision. Lloyd is no dummie, and understands that Muss would be an excellent candidate for the Arizona job. And agreed, if Muss comes here, does well, and leaves for the NBA, so what? Not all coaches need to be lifers. Give me the guy who wins big and leaves for greener pastures over the guy who does just enough to never get fired, but never wins big.

The fear is, and it's real, that our flirting with Muss has hurt our chances with Lloyd. If Muss turns us down, and Lloyd is too angry to come here, then what?

Either way, it's hard to see either Muss nor Lloyd as a serious upgrade from Miller. Lloyd has a bigger upside, and Muss seems to be at a similar level. But still, neither are homeruns.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bobby Bobbins could fuck up a wet dream.

Not that I have any inside info that he's actually fucking this up, I just wanted to remind everyone of this simple fact so that no one asks "How the fuck did this happen??" when Matt McCall is announced as our new head coach after we've been spurned publicly multiple times and become the laughing stock of all college basketball.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:00 am How in the hell is the rest of our teams doing so well for the most part with these two dipshits in control?
They didn’t hire any of the coaches who are succeeding.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:43 am
azgreg wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:00 am How in the hell is the rest of our teams doing so well for the most part with these two dipshits in control?
My thought is at least they're not fucking around with them or are they?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:44 am
How's our wrestling team doing? I bet Robbins is intrigued with Gym Jordan
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 am Musselman is a better, safer choice than Lloyd. Musselman has a solid track record at Nevada and Arkansas, versus Lloyd, who has never been a college head coach anywhere. If we did things right, which I doubt, then we told Lloyd we will explore Muss' interest and then make a decision. Lloyd is no dummie, and understands that Muss would be an excellent candidate for the Arizona job. And agreed, if Muss comes here, does well, and leaves for the NBA, so what? Not all coaches need to be lifers. Give me the guy who wins big and leaves for greener pastures over the guy who does just enough to never get fired, but never wins big.

The fear is, and it's real, that our flirting with Muss has hurt our chances with Lloyd. If Muss turns us down, and Lloyd is too angry to come here, then what?

Either way, it's hard to see either Muss nor Lloyd as a serious upgrade from Miller. Lloyd has a bigger upside, and Muss seems to be at a similar level. But still, neither are homeruns.
Neither seem like great options, but Miller's reputation was damaged and it is unclear if he was ever going to be able return the program to an elite level due to the ongoing NCAA cloud. It isn't as if keeping Miller was a guarantee that Arizona basketball was going to return to prominence, even though he lead it there previously. That said, while neither Lloyd or Muss seem like great options, Lloyd is unproven and could end up being a great head coach. Muss is good, but at a place like Arizona, could end up being great because of the kind of talent Arizona can bring in. That is the positive spin. And if Muss leaves for the NBA after five years and the program is once again thriving, the next hire will not be an issue. That is Arizona's problem; the last two times this job opened up, the program was dealing with instability, so it was more difficult to fill the position.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:47 am
azgreg wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:44 am
How's our wrestling team doing? I bet Robbins is intrigued with Gym Jordan
Undefeated brother! Just like our football and basketball coaches!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Reminds me of the alternative verse for Bear Down.

🎶 Trip! Fall! Drop the Ball! Arizona, Bear Down. 🎵
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

midnightx wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:48 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 am Musselman is a better, safer choice than Lloyd. Musselman has a solid track record at Nevada and Arkansas, versus Lloyd, who has never been a college head coach anywhere. If we did things right, which I doubt, then we told Lloyd we will explore Muss' interest and then make a decision. Lloyd is no dummie, and understands that Muss would be an excellent candidate for the Arizona job. And agreed, if Muss comes here, does well, and leaves for the NBA, so what? Not all coaches need to be lifers. Give me the guy who wins big and leaves for greener pastures over the guy who does just enough to never get fired, but never wins big.

Neither seem like great options, but Miller's reputation was damaged and it is unclear if he was ever going to be able return the program to an elite level due to the ongoing NCAA cloud. It isn't as if keeping Miller was a guarantee that Arizona basketball was going to return to prominence, even though he lead it there previously. That said, while neither Lloyd or Muss seem like great options, Lloyd is unproven and could end up being a great head coach. Muss is good, but at a place like Arizona, could end up being great because of the kind of talent Arizona can bring in. That is the positive spin. And if Muss leaves for the NBA after five years and the program is once again thriving, the next hire will not be an issue. That is Arizona's problem; the last two times this job opened up, the program was dealing with instability, so it was more difficult to fill the position.
Miller had the program back in the NCAA Tournament after the huge storm cloud wrecked the 2019 recruiting class. He cobbled together a tournament team in 2020. He entirely reshaped recruiting and put together another tournament team for 2021 and had the 2021-2022 team locked and loaded as a surefire top 20 team.

This argument is moot at this point -- but Miller at least deserved to see how next year shaped up. It's not as though the program was struggling to compete. Miller and Arizona had to take a standing 8-count after the FBI/ESPN/NCAA bullshit.

Miller got back in the ring and started landing body shots and winning some rounds. Our program was significantly stronger than at any point since 2018. And that's when Robbins decided to throw in the towel and stop the fight.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I can barely keep up with the hellscape. Good thing I'm too busy at work and with the pregnant wife and her grandparents visit this week to really get dragged under by the rip tide that is bobbins and heeke.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Does the Arizona Republic actually cover sports or just cobble together other reporters' notes and articles and call it a day? There's absolutely nothing new in that piece. Zero.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

zonagrad wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:15 am
Does the Arizona Republic actually cover sports or just cobble together other reporters' notes and articles and call it a day? There's absolutely nothing new in that piece. Zero.
They're the Drudge Report of Arizona sports.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BeardownZonaZona

Read on some Gonzaga sites that people have been saying deals off. Anyone here hear anything about that?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:59 am Read on some Gonzaga sites that people have been saying deals off. Anyone here hear anything about that?
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:59 am Read on some Gonzaga sites that people have been saying deals off. Anyone here hear anything about that?
This was from a poster on the GU board: "
I was told the only way Tommy wasn't the coach was if he had a change of mind or the school screwed it up. From what I was told on Friday, it was 99% done in regards to terms. Now, with all the additional things happening, maybe Tommy will just decide that it's not in his best interests to deal with that. I have nothing new since Saturday afternoon, which at that time it was still Tommy to UA."
BeardownZonaZona

I read that on their 247 board. One of their free boards had people saying otherwise. I probably do trust Max at Gonzaga 247 then other posters
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Read on some Gonzaga sites that people have been saying deals off. Anyone here hear anything about that?
I'll rest easier when Cincinnati announces a hire and it isn't Lloyd/Musselman/JT/Walton/Salpointe's coach or whoever else we're hoping will come to McKale.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I hope they hire Miller!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:01 pm I hope they hire Miller!!!
Archie?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

No sorry, I was responding to the above.

I hope Cinci hires Sean Miller!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Sid

Post by Sid »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 pm No sorry, I was responding to the above.

I hope Cinci hires Sean Miller!!!
Nah, asu will hire him. Wouldn’t that be special....
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Just when I thought I couldn’t get anymore pissed off at these Bozos. The sad thing is, how besides a major scandal does a university president get fired? I’m sure the “school to the north” leaning ABOR doesn’t care. Not sure there’s any President’s Club donor/s who will bring him down. It’s simply ludicrous that he was allowed to create this fiefdom. Perhaps a gear burning in front of Old Main? J/K...sort of.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Its hard to wrap my head around how badly this was botched.
BeardownZonaZona

I remember eerily me stating that based off of the football hire that we shouldn't trust this administration to run a basketball coaching search. I stand correct
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:50 pm Heard he ain’t so squeaky clean either...just sayin

Is anyone really though? I understand optics off of what we are trying to come out of but as long as it’s done smarter than an idiot like Book who cares.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Scheer just teased that there could be news soon. Maybe a formal offer to Lloyd?
BeardownZonaZona

It's gonna be one of three things I'm thinking
A) we got Lloyd
B) we told him he's not it
C) we got muss
I'm thinking it's probably A as that seems most likely. Muss is a pipe dream
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 pm Scheer just teased that there could be news soon. Maybe a formal offer to Lloyd?
Was it the eyes blinking emoji that he loves using?
BeardownZonaZona

Alieberman wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:14 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:05 pm Scheer just teased that there could be news soon. Maybe a formal offer to Lloyd?
Was it the eyes blinking emoji that he loves using?
No he said on TOS that there will probably be an update he'll provide pretty soon. So any minute now he'll say something on there. After pretty much 48 hours of nothing I'm going to assume an update means that something happened or is happening now
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Interesting that Muss buyout drops from 5 mill, to 1.5 May 1st.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... ssion=true