Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ekat

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by ekat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:18 pm
UofAlum05 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:09 pm If this is a bad team next year you 100% have to fire Robbins and Heeke. They had a top 15 team ready to return and they blew it up.
100%, except I'd do it now. They hired two 0-0 coaches and Kevin Sumlin. Ain't nothing to hang on to.
Just a friendly reminder that they also hired a swimming coach that racked up a Level 1 in the NOA that everyone tacks onto Miller. Said head swimming coach is still employed at the university. Dave Heeke’s first official hire at the U of A.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:32 pm Cactus logo hat is a good start.
Look, some of this is my overall dislike of Robbins speaking, but that's a chomo looking grin if I've ever seen one.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

TheGreatCatsby wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:48 pm I just like the open to the public nature of this board without any overlords. And agree that old board goazcats was awesome, losing that hurt.

Think Lloyd can put together a real incredible assistant coaching staff, looks like he'll pull that assistant from Baylor and also fill out with former players/coaches. Gonzaga played beautiful offensive basketball this year, looking forward to us potentially implementing some of that.

No reason for anybody to leave with this hire. He's known as a developmental coach, and Tubelis, Kriisa and Mathurin will have lots to gain by returning getting them more potentially NBA ready. Their spots in the starting lineup on a P5 team are theirs to lose, why give that up.
I’d have a hard time staying after Robbins took away the post season for his personal whim.
dmjcat

Re: Arizona Head Coach Tommy Lloyd

Post by dmjcat »

SCCats wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:43 pm Hahaha showing those true colors! Wishing players transfer. Hoping the coach fails.

Well, for those fans that said they're leaving the Arizona family if (and then when) Miller was fired I'd like to take a moment to say we had a good ride. We all understand the only constant in this world is change and we wish you luck in your future college sports fan endeavors, for whichever teams you might end up transferring your allegiance to.

You will be missed.
Agree. Its sad to see the "Cut off your nose to spite your face" mentality on the board.

Confucius had a saying: "Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves"
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I've never heard him speak before.

I think we hired a dork
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Welcome to the UofA. Hopefully the NCAA does not come down hard on the program.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:45 pm I've never heard him speak before.

I think we hired a dork
Listen to pastner. That’s a dork.

I remember when he was like 25 years old talking like some seasoned veteran coach.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:37 pm
TheGreatCatsby wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:48 pm I just like the open to the public nature of this board without any overlords. And agree that old board goazcats was awesome, losing that hurt.

Think Lloyd can put together a real incredible assistant coaching staff, looks like he'll pull that assistant from Baylor and also fill out with former players/coaches. Gonzaga played beautiful offensive basketball this year, looking forward to us potentially implementing some of that.

No reason for anybody to leave with this hire. He's known as a developmental coach, and Tubelis, Kriisa and Mathurin will have lots to gain by returning getting them more potentially NBA ready. Their spots in the starting lineup on a P5 team are theirs to lose, why give that up.
I’d have a hard time staying after Robbins took away the post season for his personal whim.
Also, Tubelis, Kriisa and Mathurin have their picks of other good developmental coaches and programs with starting spots for them on the P5 level. Plus, this offseason, they don't have to sit a day. Just hop a plane and boom, you're starting at another P5 program day 1.

Those 3 will get a look from every P5 school and they can take their pick. I think that's where we are.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

SandwichGuy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:01 pm
azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:31 pm What are we going to call him? CTL doesn't sound near as good as CSM.
TMFL!
Will his assistants be ALT and DEL?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:43 pm
SCCats wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:43 pm Hahaha showing those true colors! Wishing players transfer. Hoping the coach fails.

Well, for those fans that said they're leaving the Arizona family if (and then when) Miller was fired I'd like to take a moment to say we had a good ride. We all understand the only constant in this world is change and we wish you luck in your future college sports fan endeavors, for whichever teams you might end up transferring your allegiance to.

You will be missed.
Agree. Its sad to see the "Cut off your nose to spite your face" mentality on the board.

Confucius had a saying: "Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves"
Almost like the last 4 years of the same thing wrt Sean Miller, no? I’m all in for Coach Lloyd. What choice do I have? Wishing him the best and hope he’s not another failed assistant coach to head coach transition. But all the rabidly anti-Miller people complaining about cutting off your nose to spite your face have a strange sensibility.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:52 pm
dmjcat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:43 pm

You will be missed.

Almost like the last 4 years of the same thing wrt Sean Miller, no? I’m all in for Coach Lloyd. What choice do I have? Wishing him the best and hope he’s not another failed assistant coach to head coach transition. But all the rabidly anti-Miller people complaining about cutting off your nose to spite your face have a strange sensibility.
What I am referring to are the posters that want all of the players to transfer and for coach Lloyed to miserably fail so we can get rid of Heeke/Robbins. IMO, this is just plain destructive, and stupid.

It is possible to wish success for Coach Lloyd while simultaneously working to remove Heeke and/or Robbins
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Is the Euro recruiting a big selling point?
Seems like the Zagnuts HAD to go the euro route, and so did Miller this last season.
Is that really the preferred route?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:56 pm What I am referring to are the posters that want all of the players to transfer and for coach Lloyed to miserably fail so we can get rid of Heeke/Robbins. IMO, this is just plain destructive, and stupid.

It is possible to wish success for Coach Lloyd while simultaneously working to remove Heeke and/or Robbins
I think Robbins and Heeke need to go. It may not be fair to Lloyd, but you can't convince me the fastest route to Robbins and Heeke being gone is public implosion of their most high profile hires in Fisch and Lloyd.

Robbins has been in hot water for racism, cronyism, the online diploma mill and hired Kevin Sumlin. Remind me again why he should stay?

The success of Fisch and Lloyd helps a guy I think is awful for my university continue his harm to it. Maybe I wish it wasn't like that, but it is. Sometimes you just can't have things both ways, and I'm of the mind Robbins and Heeke have to go. Period. So, take from that what you will.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I think we hired a dork

Why does this remind me of an al-Qaeda hostage video?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Robbins will be done soon (22) and Heeke won’t last long with the new guy. Just hope our marquee program is not decimated and that Lloyd is the real deal.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

NickyBCats wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:15 pm Kerr in the portal and Ben M and Koloko are likely to join him here soon. Tommy already has his work cut out.
If he is the recruiter everyone says he is, he should be able to reel some of them back in, unless the unknown about NCAA sanctions scares them away permanently.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:50 pm

I think we hired a dork
Listen to pastner. That’s a dork.

I remember when he was like 25 years old talking like some seasoned veteran coach.
No joke. At Maloney’s going around telling my friend “the most power 6 inches is right here” with his hands measuring this width of his head.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:05 pm
dmjcat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:56 pm What I am referring to are the posters that want all of the players to transfer and for coach Lloyed to miserably fail so we can get rid of Heeke/Robbins. IMO, this is just plain destructive, and stupid.

I think Robbins and Heeke need to go. It may not be fair to Lloyd, but you can't convince me the fastest route to Robbins and Heeke being gone is public implosion of their most high profile hires in Fisch and Lloyd.

Robbins has been in hot water for racism, cronyism, the online diploma mill and hired Kevin Sumlin. Remind me again why he should stay?

The success of Fisch and Lloyd helps a guy I think is awful for my university continue his harm to it. Maybe I wish it wasn't like that, but it is. Sometimes you just can't have things both ways, and I'm of the mind Robbins and Heeke have to go. Period. So, take from that what you will.
Who the hell said Robbins should stay???????????????? Please point out the posts/posters who want Lloyd/Fisch to succeed so we can keep Robbins/Heeke...........I'm waiting.

I'll say it again. Cutting off your nose to spite your face is just plain DUMB.

If you want to remove Robbins/Heeke for whatever reasons you have please proceed......Just don't destroy the athletic department in the process.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:09 pm Robbins will be done soon (22) and Heeke won’t last long with the new guy. Just hope our marquee program is not decimated and that Lloyd is the real deal.
Totally right there with you Azcat49
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:09 pm Robbins will be done soon (22) and Heeke won’t last long with the new guy. Just hope our marquee program is not decimated and that Lloyd is the real deal.
Who ultimately decides whether Robbins gets extended?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
prh

Post by prh »

I'll gladly sacrifice football to dump Robbins. And if basketball has to join it, I'd much rather it be caused by a mass exodus of our current roster, preferably to a school that hires Sean in the next few weeks. That would be some small vindication for Sean and be something we can at least recover from sooner than later.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If we can make that Robbins expiration a reality, ik, I'll be back in 22. I'm scared he's getting extended.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:11 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:05 pm

Who the hell said Robbins should stay???????????????? Please point out the posts/posters who want Lloyd/Fisch to succeed so we can keep Robbins/Heeke...........I'm waiting.

I'll say it again. Cutting off your nose to spite your face is just plain DUMB.

If you want to remove Robbins/Heeke for whatever reasons you have please proceed......Just don't destroy the athletic department in the process.
Robbins and Heeke have done 10x more than I ever could to destroy the athletic department. Sumlin was a 20+ million dollar mistake. Fisch and Lloyd have as many head coaching wins as any poster here.

That's sort of the point. If you care about the future of athletics, those two have to go.

I respectfully disagree with your cutting analogy. This isn't cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's cutting out a cancer, and unfortunately, you may need to remove a little healthy tissue to get there.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Mostly I'm just glad the search is over so we can move on to seeing who decides to stay and who stays in the transfer portal.

Good luck Lloyd, you're gonna need it.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

So is it likely Few told Lloyd he's going to coach Gonzaga 10 more years so he figured he better strike while the iron is hot?
-JB
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:45 pm So is it likely Few told Lloyd he's going to coach Gonzaga 10 more years so he figured he better strike while the iron is hot?

Dunno.

Arizona came calling for an assistant coach.

Name one assistant coach who isn’t taking the head job at Arizona. You can’t
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:45 pm So is it likely Few told Lloyd he's going to coach Gonzaga 10 more years so he figured he better strike while the iron is hot?

Dunno.

Hubert Davis
-JB
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

I like the hire. I hope we keep the international pipeline flowing. This hire is better than hiring any of our alum.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:50 pm

Dunno.

Hubert Davis
He was a head coach before the job opened.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:52 pm

Dunno.

Hubert Davis
He was a head coach before the job opened.
I know. But he wouldn't have taken the Arizona job a couple weeks ago.
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dunno.

Hubert Davis
I think he meant current assistants, not guys who gained fame when they got elevated.

It's a good question. I like CBB and I don't think I could name any non-Arizona assistants. Is Trent Johnson at Cal right now?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I will say this. I challenge you to find a zags fan with anything negative to say about Tommy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 pm I will say this. I challenge you to find a zags fan with anything negative to say about Tommy.
Fair, although if we could find Zags fans that would go in negatively on an assistant when they've gone 164-14 over the past 5 years, that dude would have to be really terrible.
pdx123

Post by pdx123 »

Let's hope Few also said something like "No pressure, Tommy, but if you suck at Arizona, you aren't getting my job when I retire." A little extra pressure won't hurt.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

WTF?! As if Lloyd doesn't have a tough enough job already.

Good job sabotaging your man.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:16 pm WTF?! As if Lloyd doesn't have a tough enough job already.

Of fucking course with our leadership. Not surprised at all
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Will mike Luke lose his radio job over the retweet?
ekat

Post by ekat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:16 pm WTF?! As if Lloyd doesn't have a tough enough job already.

It’s no wonder they want out. These guys came to play for Miller. They watched Miller get jerked around for weeks. Then they sat waiting for another week to hear something. Then they find out on Twitter. It’s reprehensible that the administration (Not Lloyd) treated a bunch of 18-22 year old guys that came here from around the world to wear that Arizona jersey that way. Those guys played their hearts out, in empty arenas, with no postseason because of Robbins, and that’s how they’re thanked. It’s disgusting. And completely unfair to Lloyd.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ekat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:26 pm

It’s no wonder they want out. These guys came to play for Miller. They watched Miller get jerked around for weeks. Then they sat waiting for another week to hear something. Then they find out on Twitter. It’s reprehensible that the administration (Not Lloyd) treated a bunch of 18-22 year old guys that came here from around the world to wear that Arizona jersey that way. Those guys played their hearts out, in empty arenas, with no postseason because of Robbins, and that’s how they’re thanked. It’s disgusting. And completely unfair to Lloyd.
This
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Trying to keep an open mind but I really enjoyed Miller. My close attention to sports has waned the more I've grown up and life has prioritized other things. But I'll give him a shot. Same with Fisch I suppose. We're all a bunch of old, drunk, crotchety sonsabitches now.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I thought Hansen’s constant Miller bashing was unbearable.

I think it will pale in comparison to his Tommy masturbation. Dude, get the old fuck a room and a towel.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ekat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:26 pm

CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

The University of Arizona basketball team stewed for a week wondering who their new coach would be, then the UofA President got involved.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Can we FU anything that is so basic it has been written about over the years. Not saying good bye or correctly announcing a firing or hiring of a new coach. Basics 101 which we fail at again. Heeke is a complete idiot. Feel sorry for Lloyd.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I don’t really have sympathy for Lloyd. He has to see the type of people he just chose to work for.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Cutting off your nose to spite your face is imposing a post season ban when you realize Miller has somehow put together a pretty damn good team. And then firing him at the worst time, and then leaving the players in the dark so they have to go on the internet to learn what's up with the program.

I wish the coach well, of course, but the administration is on the list.

Public Enemies in no particular order.
1. Larry Scott
2. Schlabach, Vitale and ESPN
3. Heeke
4. Robbins
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Look out for Oregon to snag some of our guys. Tampering already occurring. No question
I said what I said and I mean it.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Last edited by YoDeFoe on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

The gushing praise for him, consistently, before and after the job even came up - it’s very much giving me hope for a successful Coach Lloyd.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alright “best recruiter in the country”... get out there and re-recruit our current team.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?