Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:41 am When is Tommy going to start naming his assistant coaches? Seems like he should named 1 or 2 already
I’m fairly certain we’ll hear about that this week.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:03 pm
84Cat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:41 am When is Tommy going to start naming his assistant coaches? Seems like he should named 1 or 2 already
This may be unrealistic, but the one thing I'm really hoping for is at least one AZ alum assistant, preferably Terry. I'm sure Lloyd has had guys in mind throughout this process and that it's more likely we'll see an assistant staff comprised of guys he's known over the years at GU, but he would do well to have one actual Wildcat on that bench, imo. Terry makes a ton of sense given his recruiting potential and the respect he'll command from our players.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Anyone not on staff already would have to go through the hiring process like Lloyd did. There are no open positions advertised on the men's teams, although several on the women's.

So hopefully keeping the same staff.

https://arizona.csod.com/ux/ats/careers ... ns][0]=284
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:18 pm Anyone not on staff already would have to go through the hiring process like Lloyd did. There are no open positions advertised on the men's teams, although several on the women's.

So hopefully keeping the same staff.

https://arizona.csod.com/ux/ats/careers ... ns][0]=284
Maybe just not posted yet?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You're all wanting Wildcat former players while still wanting the Ethel Merman of men's assistant basketball coaches.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:09 pm
Chicat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:03 pm
This may be unrealistic, but the one thing I'm really hoping for is at least one AZ alum assistant, preferably Terry. I'm sure Lloyd has had guys in mind throughout this process and that it's more likely we'll see an assistant staff comprised of guys he's known over the years at GU, but he would do well to have one actual Wildcat on that bench, imo. Terry makes a ton of sense given his recruiting potential and the respect he'll command from our players.
The possibility of keeping Terry has to be pretty close to 103%, right? In addition to the fact of being a great guy and a Wildcat:

1) The current players know him as an ex-NBA standout, and as their coach. Cutting Terry would be the final kick in the nuts that sends them all walking;

2) The former players voiced their strong preference for keeping the HC job in the family. If Lloyd came in and cut Terry, it would be a disaster for the culture he's trying to create (and therefore recruiting).
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Chicat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:50 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 am Why are you guys trying to introduce supporting facts? We know nobody cares because it doesn’t fit the media narrative. Miller and Arizona have 5 Level 1 infractions from the sanctimonious NCAA.

We are a bunch of cheats. We pay players and we are going to get heavy sanctions... and the boogie man is coming to get us.

I have learned to ignore the uninformed.
It just goes to show that ESPN’s narrative has infected the brains of people who might even call themselves well-informed diehard Cat fans. It’s sad.
The ESPN Miller/Ayton report was very damaging, and ultimately ended Miller's career at Arizona. It was never verified as coming from a credible source, it was later debunked by the guy who leaked it to his attorney who in turn leaked to ESPN, there was no such recording, and the alleged Ayton payment was not listed as one of the alleged violations against Miller/Arizona. Yet, that ESPN narrative is still frequently cited by sports news outlets and journalists covering the men's basketball. It is repeated verbatim over and over. It really is astounding how that piece of unprofessional garbage reporting took on a life of its own and was repeated so frequently that people simply believe it to be true when it was load of crap from the moment it was reported.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:25 pm The possibility of keeping Terry has to be pretty close to 103%, right? In addition to the fact of being a great guy and a Wildcat:

1) The current players know him as an ex-NBA standout, and as their coach. Cutting Terry would be the final kick in the nuts that sends them all walking;

2) The former players voiced their strong preference for keeping the HC job in the family. If Lloyd came in and cut Terry, it would be a disaster for the culture he's trying to create (and therefore recruiting).

JeT has been given a great deal of credit with Akinjo and the other guards in speeding up the tempo of a Miller offense.

I don't have any insider knowledge, but cutting JeT loose would probably seal Kerr and Akinjo not coming back.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 am Why are you guys trying to introduce supporting facts? We know nobody cares because it doesn’t fit the media narrative. Miller and Arizona have 5 Level 1 infractions from the sanctimonious NCAA.

We are a bunch of cheats. We pay players and we are going to get heavy sanctions... and the boogie man is coming to get us.

It just goes to show that ESPN’s narrative has infected the brains of people who might even call themselves well-informed diehard Cat fans. It’s sad.

F...k e-spin :P
Last edited by HiCat on Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

midnightx wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:38 pm

The ESPN Miller/Ayton report was very damaging, and ultimately ended Miller's career at Arizona. It was never verified as coming from a credible source, it was later debunked by the guy who leaked it to his attorney who in turn leaked to ESPN, there was no such recording, and the alleged Ayton payment was not listed as one of the alleged violations against Miller/Arizona. Yet, that ESPN narrative is still frequently cited by sports news outlets and journalists covering the men's basketball. It is repeated verbatim over and over. It really is astounding how that piece of unprofessional garbage reporting took on a life of its own and was repeated so frequently that people simply believe it to be true when it was load of crap from the moment it was reported.
I’m just gonna copy/paste this post next time one of my UofA friends calls Miller dirty.

Thanks, midnight.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Longhorned wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:40 pm You're all wanting Wildcat former players while still wanting the Ethel Merman of men's assistant basketball coaches.
YES finally a reference for the Greatest Generation and all my fellow WWII vets on the board! that dame had some gams
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Nature is healing here at BDW. Board squabbles and references to Ethel Merman in random post.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

1stNGrant Frys wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:15 pm
Longhorned wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:40 pm You're all wanting Wildcat former players while still wanting the Ethel Merman of men's assistant basketball coaches.
YES finally a reference for the Greatest Generation and all my fellow WWII vets on the board! that dame had some gams
When did you serve? What branch?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:34 am So you’re under the impression that Sean knew what Book was doing?

So Sean is making 2-3 mil per year and wants Book to line his pockets for a lousy 15k of ADIDAS money? You think adidas is giving money to kids to go to Nike schools?
He wasn’t even giving any benefits to kids who were incoming. He was pushing them to an agency when they were leaving college. In what way does that help Arizona put a better product on the floor?

I can’t help you.
Getting a kid eligible with fake transcripts benefits Arizona. I find it mind boggling the mind warp going on here where if someone as much as comments that Miller was not the cleanest guy on the planet who got screwed over at no fault to himself is the bad guy and an uninformed fan. Was the ESPN hit job bull shit? Yes. Was Sean Miller the cleanest coach in the world? No.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Was Sean Miller accused of getting a kid eligible with fake transcripts? No.

Was Sean Miller the cleanest coach in the world? No.

Are you bending over backwards to make him look like he was accused of corruption by anyone other than the biased lazy media and rival fans? Abso-fucking-lutely and you should stop because it’s shitty and stupid. The man is no longer the coach. Give it up.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:48 pm
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:34 am So you’re under the impression that Sean knew what Book was doing?

So Sean is making 2-3 mil per year and wants Book to line his pockets for a lousy 15k of ADIDAS money? You think adidas is giving money to kids to go to Nike schools?
He wasn’t even giving any benefits to kids who were incoming. He was pushing them to an agency when they were leaving college. In what way does that help Arizona put a better product on the floor?

I can’t help you.
Getting a kid eligible with fake transcripts benefits Arizona. I find it mind boggling the mind warp going on here where if someone as much as comments that Miller was not the cleanest guy on the planet who got screwed over at no fault to himself is the bad guy and an uninformed fan. Was the ESPN hit job bull shit? Yes. Was Sean Miller the cleanest coach in the world? No.
I would say Miller is as clean/dirty as anyone else.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dude, you must be at least 90 if you had a fake birth certificate. War ended almost 75 years ago.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:05 pm
midnightx wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:38 pm

I’m just gonna copy/paste this post next time one of my UofA friends calls Miller dirty.

Thanks, midnight.
Check out JMarkJohns pinned Twitter thread.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Welcome Tommy Lloyd!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

HiCat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:46 pm
2nd Armored Division, Combat engineer

BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Looking good for Tyty. Still an upward battle but we got momentum
I said what I said and I mean it.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

1stNGrant Frys wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:45 pm
HiCat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:46 pm
2nd Armored Division, Combat engineer

Respect and a tip of my hat to you bud. (no politics intended)

For me 1967 Air Force MAC a much different time. (Merk was Air Force if my memory is correct)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HiCat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:26 am For me 1967 Air Force MAC a much different time. (Merk was Air Force if my memory is correct)
Yep 76-81. Peterson (Colorado Springs), Kadena (Okinawa) and Altus OK.

Fortunately for me, a time of peace. Huge respect for combat era veterans.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

deleted
Last edited by HiCat on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Thing is with transcripts, concerning Shareef O'Neal, it was self-reported by the school, O'Neal never enrolled at Arizona, and therefore Arizona never benefitted, and O'Neal was eligible day 1 at UCLA, a school with generally stricter entrance requirements. Does Miller deserve blame for having Phelps on staff, especially after the loan to Pinder? Yes, Does the O'Neal incident make Miller covered in mud or the program dirty? Not a at all.

There's also the allegation that another coach, likely Book, did something to get Alkins eligible. But this doesn't pass the smell test whatsoever. Had Book paid a High School Administrator to get Alkins eligible, it would have broken the same bribery law that Book was arrested and plead guilty, serving a few months. Yet Book was never charged with anything other than the $20k to steer kids with no eligibility to Dawkins. If Book did pay a bribe to get Alkins eligible, why no FBI charges for Book? Why no charges for the unnamed high school admin? This kind of pay for transcript is what got Aunt Becky (Lori Laughlin) in trouble, and the FBI ended up charging dozens of people for similar schemes. At least with Alkins, you can say we absolutely benefitted from his play. But I still can't wrap my head around why the NCAA would include this in the NOA, especially if there wasn't enough evidence for the FBI to even charge Book with the crime.

That's all water under the bridge now. Lloyd is the guy, and there is a lot to like about him. The inexperience as head coach is a negative, but he's young, well respected, excellent recruiter, and understands what Arizona Basketball is all about. Miller got screwed over by ESPN and the Arizona brainless trust, but Miller will be fine. And I'll be rooting for him wherever he lands.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:38 pm The ESPN Miller/Ayton report was very damaging, and ultimately ended Miller's career at Arizona. It was never verified as coming from a credible source, it was later debunked by the guy who leaked it to his attorney who in turn leaked to ESPN, there was no such recording, and the alleged Ayton payment was not listed as one of the alleged violations against Miller/Arizona. Yet, that ESPN narrative is still frequently cited by sports news outlets and journalists covering the men's basketball. It is repeated verbatim over and over. It really is astounding how that piece of unprofessional garbage reporting took on a life of its own and was repeated so frequently that people simply believe it to be true when it was load of crap from the moment it was reported.
I'd add to this that there were two federal trials in which the wire ESPN alleged existed was not played or referenced in any way, despite Dawkins explicitly pursuing a defense that paying players was standard practice.

Further, the time the feds had their wiretap up didn't even correspond with when Schlabach claimed Miller was on a wire. Although Schlabach edited his timeline for the wire claim at least twice, so who knows in the end?

We're 3+ years later and there's no corroboration and a number of items of evidence directly contradicting ESPN's claim. Yet, in public, that article is taken as gospel.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:47 pm Looking good for Tyty. Still an upward battle but we got momentum
I thought it was funny Pascoe wrote an article about how clean Lloyd is just as he goes all in on a recruitment that (from my outsider perspective) has every marker of a dirty recruitment you can ask for.

Not that I'm criticizing Lloyd. The game is what it is for top recruits. It just cracks me up Pascoe would label him clean despite the GLARING evidence about what it takes to get in guys like Tyty and Holmgren.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:09 am
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:47 pm Looking good for Tyty. Still an upward battle but we got momentum
I thought it was funny Pascoe wrote an article about how clean Lloyd is just as he goes all in on a recruitment that (from my outsider perspective) has every marker of a dirty recruitment you can ask for.

Not that I'm criticizing Lloyd. The game is what it is for top recruits. It just cracks me up Pascoe would label him clean despite the GLARING evidence about what it takes to get in guys like Tyty and Holmgren.
Probably because idiots like Pascoe hated Miller for snubbing them (for good reason mind you) and are hoping Lloyd will give them more access and better stories to write. In other words, they think Lucy will not pull the football away from Charlie Brown.

They are such saps.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If Tommy starts pulling in top-10 classes he’ll be labeled a cheater just like everyone else who isn’t a media darling. So he’d be smart to start kissing ass like it’s his job.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 am If Tommy starts pulling in top-10 classes he’ll be labeled a cheater just like everyone else who isn’t a media darling. So he’d be smart to start kissing ass like it’s his job.
Tommy will be infinitely better with the media than Sean was.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 am If Tommy starts pulling in top-10 classes he’ll be labeled a cheater just like everyone else who isn’t a media darling. So he’d be smart to start kissing ass like it’s his job.
I mean, there's only one way into a top ten class.

It's kind of funny that media in Tucson, Arizona makes you kiss their ring.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Tommy won't be as ornery as Miller but I foresee a lot of cliches and nothing controversial.

And nobody gives a shit about Tucson media anyway.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I think this is already one true benefit of Lloyd > Miller - Lloyd is going to get the good ol boy treatment from the media. He's well liked and connected.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

MountainCat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:52 am
Hoping he brings in the kid from Baylor (Rem Bakamus) for Basketball Ops and retains Murphy as one of his assistants.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:29 pm
Hoping he brings in the kid from Baylor (Rem Bakamus) for Basketball Ops and retains Murphy as one of his assistants.
I think TJ Benson will be the Director of Basketball Ops, not 100% on that though, but he will be on the staff in some way.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I don't know how or why the internet has decided Tyty wants bags, but it has. Illinois fans were like "frankly, I'm glad we're out", UCLA fans have said they want out. Kentucky fans are like, this is what we do. And Kansas fans have been the funniest, making jokes about this is why we extended Self, etc.

I don't know if someone said " hey this kid wants stacks" and everyone just piled on like the Richard Here gerbil thing, or if there is smoke there, but I'm not sure I care to have this be Lloyd's big surprise splash hit. Innocent or not, he's been labeled a crooked player and that's all that matters these days. Sad, especially it he's not involved in anything shady.at all. Doesn't matter anymore. If someone says you beat your wife, it's true, even if you aren't even married. Kid should stay away from all these tainted schools given that's a brush they're already using to paint him with.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azpatnca wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:12 pm I don't know how or why the internet has decided Tyty wants bags, but it has. Illinois fans were like "frankly, I'm glad we're out", UCLA fans have said they want out. Kentucky fans are like, this is what we do. And Kansas fans have been the funniest, making jokes about this is why we extended Self, etc.

I don't know if someone said " hey this kid wants stacks" and everyone just piled on like the Richard Here gerbil thing, or if there is smoke there, but I'm not sure I care to have this be Lloyd's big surprise splash hit. Innocent or not, he's been labeled a crooked player and that's all that matters these days. Sad, especially it he's not involved in anything shady.at all. Doesn't matter anymore. If someone says you beat your wife, it's true, even if you aren't even married. Kid should stay away from all these tainted schools given that's a brush they're already using to paint him with.
Again, I am no insider, but here are my takes on the red flags.

First, the Creighton commit. Creighton was knee deep in the FBI scandal.

Second, the Creighton decommit and late reopening. Those happenings (look at Ferguson, Alkins and Simmons here) tend to have a high correlation to red flags.

Third, his current list is programs implicated in the FBI scandal (Arizona, Kansas, LSU) or schools with deep ties to the sleazier aspects of AAU (UK, Baylor, Oregon).

Fourth is the basic logic. If we beat out Kansas and Creighton, both of whom were pretty openly in the FBI scope, we probably didn't beat them for free.

Finally, if I was Tyty, I wouldn't stay away from tainted schools. D1 has maaaybe one of those schools and he's too good to go D2 or D3, where maybe half are clean.

Edit: not touching the Richard Gere gerbil thing with a 10 foot pole.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

How many assistant/staff slots do we have? It varies on coach correct?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

1stNGrant Frys wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:42 pm How many assistant/staff slots do we have? It varies on coach correct?
You are allowed to have three assistant coaches on the bench and helping with recruiting.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:30 pm
Edit: not touching the Richard Gere gerbil thing with a 10 foot pole.
How about a 10 foot hollow tube with about a 1 1/2” diameter?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

84Cat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:21 pm
I am sure the took them down so the kids didn't overreact about coaches being let go before they Tommy has decided who is going to keep.

Edit: And right as I post this, Jack Murphy is staying with the team.
Last edited by gronk4heisman on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Hell yeah!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Even though Murph has ties to Lute you have to figure the former players would love to see JT retained
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:02 pm Even though Murph has ties to Lute you have to figure the former players would love to see JT retained
If I’m TLC, I wouldn’t worry too much about the former players. Even the very vocal ones with national platforms.

Instead, if I’m looking at keeping someone from the former staff for continuity’s sake, I’d be looking at who has the most recruits in their personal pipeline and who was involved the most with the current players.

Plus, there’s only one guy in the entire athletic department who was the head coach of a college basketball team at any point in the past. That’s gotta count for something too.

I love Jet, but if it’s a choice between him and Murph, TLC made the right call.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:11 pm
azcat49 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:02 pm Even though Murph has ties to Lute you have to figure the former players would love to see JT retained
If I’m TLC, I wouldn’t worry too much about the former players. Even the very vocal ones with national platforms.

Instead, if I’m looking at keeping someone from the former staff for continuity’s sake, I’d be looking at who has the most recruits in their personal pipeline and who was involved the most with the current players.

Plus, there’s only one guy in the entire athletic department who was the head coach of a college basketball team at any point in the past. That’s gotta count for something too.

I love Jet, but if it’s a choice between him and Murph, TLC made the right call.
I agree completely.

JET has a single season of coaching experience at any level - this past season with Arizona. The extent of his recruiting ties is that he was an NBA player and he's connected in the Pacific NW.

Murphy spent nearly a decade coaching under Lute Olson, 3 seasons coaching in the NBA under George Karl, 3 seasons under Pastnor at Memphis, 7 seasons as head coach of NAU, and of course the last 2 seasons as Associate HC here at Arizona. He's a defensively minded coach, has domestic recruiting ties and international expertise, and he's as deeply connected into Wildcat basketball as any coach on the planet.

Murph was the obvious choice to retain and I couldn't be happier that he's who Lloyd kept on the staff.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

JET has been offered to stay by Lloyd in addition to Murph but is hesitant because he's pissed at Robbins. He has opportunities elsewhere that are solid where Robbins isn't running things but Lloyd definitely wants JET on the staff.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UofAlum05 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:06 pm

JET has been offered to stay by Lloyd in addition to Murph but is hesitant because he's pissed at Robbins. He has opportunities elsewhere that are solid where Robbins isn't running things but Lloyd definitely wants JET on the staff.
I knew I liked Terry.