Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:22 pm I suppose we could compare Nico's freshman year to other big-minute AZ PGs in their first year.

Nico - 14ppg, 5.3apg, 2.5rpg, 39%FG, 79%FT
Bibby - 13.5, 5.2, 3.2, 44%, 70%
Gardner - 12.6, 4.8, 3.7, 37%, 72%
Shakur - 9.4, 4.5, 3.6, 51%, 80%
Bayless - 19.7, 4.0, 2.7, 45%, 83%
McConnell (junior transfer) - 8.4, 5.3, 3.6, 45%, 62%

Statistically, Nico compares VERY favorably to our best PGs. I would ask, Spiff, whether you consider Nico's overall impact as a freshman to be as significant as some of these others. Are these statistical measures the only way we can account for a player's impact? How many big shots did Nico hit? How many times did he come up big or flat in a critical game? With some of these others -- particularly Bibby, Gardner and McConnell -- their presence on the court was often the difference between a win and a loss. Is the same true of Nico?

Anyway, didn't mean to drag this on. Appreciate the conversation.
Perhaps I'm a Nico fanboy, but here's my thoughts. Bibby was flanked by Simon and Dickerson on the perimeter, vs Nico's Dylan Smith and Josh Green. Gardner had Arenas and Jefferson. Mustafa had Salim and Iggy. Bayless had Budinger and McClellan. TJ had Nick Johnson and Aaron Gordon.

I'd rate Nico and Bayless as the two most statistically impressive and also as the least accomplished in terms of results. I don't see that as an accident. My take is they produced more on lesser teams because they had to shoulder the load teammates couldn't.

It's easier to be a difference maker when your teammates keep you close and your contributions take it over the top. Nico and Bayless either had to play well or we'd lose by 10. Guys like Bibby, Gardner, TJ and Staf, the rest of the team could keep us competitive if they were off.

I will say, I think that comparison is a great one for understanding what I was driving at. Everyone on that list but TJ was a 5 star McDonald's AA. I think Nico produced comparably for a guy of that pedigree, and it's just a matter of comparing opportunity, team around him, etc. if we tried to rank them. Which is my thing with Nico. I think he lived up to what we should reasonably expect, but his shooting struggles meant he didn't exceed expectations.

Personally, I'd rank the 5 stars (freshman season alone):

1. Bibby.
2. Tie between Gardner, Bayless and Nico.
3. Mustafa.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:25 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:22 pm I suppose we could compare Nico's freshman year to other big-minute AZ PGs in their first year.

Statistically, Nico compares VERY favorably to our best PGs. I would ask, Spiff, whether you consider Nico's overall impact as a freshman to be as significant as some of these others. Are these statistical measures the only way we can account for a player's impact? How many big shots did Nico hit? How many times did he come up big or flat in a critical game? With some of these others -- particularly Bibby, Gardner and McConnell -- their presence on the court was often the difference between a win and a loss. Is the same true of Nico?

Perhaps I'm a Nico fanboy, but here's my thoughts. Bibby was flanked by Simon and Dickerson on the perimeter, vs Nico's Dylan Smith and Josh Green. Gardner had Arenas and Jefferson. Mustafa had Salim and Iggy. Bayless had Budinger and McClellan. TJ had Nick Johnson and Aaron Gordon.

I'd rate Nico and Bayless as the two most statistically impressive and also as the least accomplished in terms of results. I don't see that as an accident. My take is they produced more on lesser teams because they had to shoulder the load teammates couldn't.

It's easier to be a difference maker when your teammates keep you close and your contributions take it over the top. Nico and Bayless either had to play well or we'd lose by 10. Guys like Bibby, Gardner, TJ and Staf, the rest of the team could keep us competitive if they were off.

I will say, I think that comparison is a great one for understanding what I was driving at. Everyone on that list but TJ was a 5 star McDonald's AA. I think Nico produced comparably for a guy of that pedigree, and it's just a matter of comparing opportunity, team around him, etc. if we tried to rank them. Which is my thing with Nico. I think he lived up to what we should reasonably expect, but his shooting struggles meant he didn't exceed expectations.

1. Bibby.
3. Mustafa.
It's crazy to think what Nico might've done if he'd had the teammates TJ did in 2013-14. NJ, AG, RHJ, BA, KT...what a team we had.

Comparing Nico's supporting cast to that one TJ had makes pretty clear how hard it is for a point guard, even a very good one, to elevate his team into a contender.

I did want to steer this back to Tyty at some point, and try to think about how his game might complement our current roster, but I'm starting to get the impression he isn't coming.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

It seemed that Nico was not the defender that tj was. Since I live in Michigan and didn't spend money on tv till the mark lyons era, I don't really have much to go on. TJ did a lot of things that don't show up in the stat line. How many times did Nico Roar compared to TJ? How many times did Nico get in a teammates grill and get them on the right page? How many times did he make the right pass at the right time to the right person to shift momentum?

I loved Tj and what he brought to the game. Maybe Nico would have done that as a junior, it's really hard to tell.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:08 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:25 pm

1. Bibby.
3. Mustafa.
It's crazy to think what Nico might've done if he'd had the teammates TJ did in 2013-14. NJ, AG, RHJ, BA, KT...what a team we had.

Comparing Nico's supporting cast to that one TJ had makes pretty clear how hard it is for a point guard, even a very good one, to elevate his team into a contender.

I did want to steer this back to Tyty at some point, and try to think about how his game might complement our current roster, but I'm starting to get the impression he isn't coming.
Nico ended up being somewhat underwhelming and did not live up to his billing, but as you pointed out, there were issues with his supporting cast with respect to experience and depth. Had Nico come into the program with guys like Gordon, N. Johnson, and Bash, it may have been different. That said, he still didn't have the killer-instinct of a guy like Bibby, who had shoulder quite a bit (along with Dickerson) by playing half a season without Simon. And TJ may not have had the natural gifts of Nico, but he was a greater leader.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:15 pm It seemed that Nico was not the defender that tj was. Since I live in Michigan and didn't spend money on tv till the mark lyons era, I don't really have much to go on. TJ did a lot of things that don't show up in the stat line. How many times did Nico Roar compared to TJ? How many times did Nico get in a teammates grill and get them on the right page? How many times did he make the right pass at the right time to the right person to shift momentum?

I loved Tj and what he brought to the game. Maybe Nico would have done that as a junior, it's really hard to tell.
I mean, it makes a difference whether you're passing to Aaron Gordon or Dylan Smith.

It's easier when you've got Nick Johnson, Aaron Gordon, RHJ, Ashley and Zeus. Those people can be the right guy. Nico's options for the right guy were Zeke and...

I mean, look at this tape and tell me you don't see energy, smart decisions and what you want:

https://youtu.be/fB1Pr_wSNsU

I do legit think a large part of the issue was if Nico wasn't on his game, those opportunities didn't exist because no one else could keep us close.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

cough Tommy Lloyd thread cough
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I didn’t think Zeke was supposed to be OAD.
I guess I expected more of Nico because of hype.
I thought he believed he had more range than he did. Maybe due to injury?
Seemed like he would brick 3s from 5-7 feet behind line but if he was at or near line he would make them.
Also, that shot put floater never seemed to fall for him.
Lastly, when he got to the rim he would alter shot or try to go under backboard and miss layups. Again I wonder if he was avoiding contact due to injury.

It seemed to me that he never recovered from the injury. Don’t remember if it was in Baylor game or just before.

EDIT: Tommy Lloyd
Last edited by Postmaster on Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:39 pm cough Tommy Lloyd thread cough
I'd like to bring it back to a discussion of our PG situation for next season, whether it's Tyty or someone else.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Kerr Kriisa ?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

How about the position Lloyd played in college and how his numbers compared to Nico :) :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:00 pm Kerr Kriisa ?
He can't drive to the basket which is essential to being a PG. Defense will just keep a man in front of him. Akinjo was quite good at driving, which requires someone to help, leaving a man open.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:07 pm
He can't drive to the basket which is essential to being a PG. Defense will just keep a man in front of him. Akinjo was quite good at driving, which requires someone to help, leaving a man open.
Yeah, Kriisa's development may also be slower because of lost reps last year. We haven't seen him log big minutes at the point yet. Between him and Tyty (or a transfer), we should be fine.

I'm also wondering about the kind of guard that would best complement Mathurin and Kriisa.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:25 pm
Merkin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:07 pm
Yeah, Kriisa's development may also be slower because of lost reps last year. We haven't seen him log big minutes at the point yet. Between him and Tyty (or a transfer), we should be fine.

I'm also wondering about the kind of guard that would best complement Mathurin and Kriisa.
We at a minimum need two additional guards who will get playing time to be competitive next year. Ideally Kerr would be coming off the bench backing up the 1 and the 2.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

CTL sure is a lot more patient than me.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Shouldn't it list Gonzaga since that's the school he won this under?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Don't tell Gilbert Arenas this is happening!!!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This story taught me there is an assistant coaches hall of fame.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

MPG 35.7 - PPG 19.7 - RB 2.7 - AST 4.0 - FG% 45.8 - FG3% 40.7 - FT% 83.9
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azgreg wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:01 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Don't laugh. Some of them are children of the all-time most highly decorated substitute teachers.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:27 pm Don't laugh. Some of them are children of the all-time most highly decorated substitute teachers.
oh boy that tickled me just right...assistant coach hall of fame.

cant stop laughing
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

97cats wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:19 pm MPG 35.7 - PPG 19.7 - RB 2.7 - AST 4.0 - FG% 45.8 - FG3% 40.7 - FT% 83.9
Bayless?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

When do the 12th man HOF announcements get made?

I can't wait!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:27 pm Don't laugh. Some of them are children of the all-time most highly decorated substitute teachers.
The underrated part of that post is I know who Bill Guthridge is and obviously Lloyd.

I have zero clue who the remaining people on that list are, with the exception of what's in that picture. So apparently that one dude is/was an assistant at Baylor, and hopefully not during the Dave Bliss days. Or the rape culture days.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:45 pm When do the 12th man HOF announcements get made?

I can't wait!
It's hard to know if I'm team David Bagga or team Jacob Hazzard for this one. I grew up with Bagga, but Hazzard was the ultimate garbage time get mine guy.

Also, Hazzard has the rare distinction of posting two 20+ PER's and two -20+ PER's in a 4 year career. He's also the player that educated me negative PER exists.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:59 pm
Alieberman wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:45 pm When do the 12th man HOF announcements get made?

I can't wait!
It's hard to know if I'm team David Bagga or team Jacob Hazzard for this one. I grew up with Bagga, but Hazzard was the ultimate garbage time get mine guy.

Also, Hazzard has the rare distinction of posting two 20+ PER's and two -20+ PER's in a 4 year career. He's also the player that educated me negative PER exists.
No way. And sorry to keep beating a dead horse, but it's Fil Torres. He'll always be the only 12th man who so pissed off HOF Lute Olson that he actually ripped him in his post-game comments.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

No love for MIKE "FUCKING" SCHWERTLEY?!!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Cliff Johns
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Casey Schmidt
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gene Edgerson, only UA player ever to play on 2 Final Fours.

Also ejected for breaking some Euro's nose with his elbow in some exhibition game.

Took a year off to complete his coursework to be a kindergarten teacher.

Had a good job playing for the Harlem Globetrotters, then ended up being arrested twice for DV and was fired.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Rolf Jacobs.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:15 pmRolf Jacobs.
Ah yes, broke the nose of Craig McMillan in practice.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Brian David. Did he ever lose a game he logged minutes in?
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

John Ash and it’s not close.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Kevin Flanagan would tend to disagree.

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

David Lee?
John Ash
Of course the ultimate has to be Josh
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Who was the tall guy that blocked kicks?
Tyler Hansen or something like that?
ekat

Post by ekat »

Postmaster wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:32 pm Who was the tall guy that blocked kicks?
Tyler Hansen or something like that?
Close - Peter Hansen
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Craig Bergman or Ortege Jenkins. Two greatest QB walk ons to the basketball team :)
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue May 04, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I can't wait!

I'm an avowed stat guy and this is my favorie Arizona stat - thank you, Spiff.

Also: Team Bagga
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:00 pm

I can't wait!

I'm an avowed stat guy and this is my favorie Arizona stat - thank you, Spiff.

Also: Team Bagga
His per 40 min scoring average is equally hilarious.

Freshman, 0.0
Soph, 27.6
Jr, 3.0
Sr, 27.7.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I vote for Bruce Fraser the original Gumby. McKale used to go insane if he scored.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

How about Josh Pastner? The biggest bench cheerleader in program history, an assistant under Lute and Calipari, ran Memphis into the ground, got involved in some bizarre love-triangle shakedown, and now oversees mediocrity at Georgia Tech.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't Pastner have the record for most appearances without ever being in a losing game?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

ACC Conference Champion, Georgia Tech.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Interesting article, including spelling McKale wrong, gloom and doom on the looming sanctions, and a fascinating Robbins tidbit.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -wildcats/
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ekat wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:19 pm Interesting article, including spelling McKale wrong, gloom and doom on the looming sanctions, and a fascinating Robbins tidbit.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -wildcats/
That explains it, Bob Rob has his connection to Tommy thru Turiaf and heart surgery. All his big hires have to have some connection to him and his heart surgery past.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

People really should edit things before they publish.

Seemed like Miller had things going in a good direction. Not sure the program was paralyzed.
I aaume that quote was from Heeke.
I picked out the part where Bobbin’ Robbins just wanted his own coaches.
prh

Post by prh »

Dennis Dodd is a shit NCAA football guy, so it's natural to see if he could be worse covering basketball.