Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by zonagrad »

Using the word detritus in your opening paragraph is pretty harsh language. I'm fairly certain Dodd didn't do so more research that would've told him Miller had a tourney team in '21 and had a roster locked and loaded for a top 20 preseason ranking. Hardly detritus. But don't let the facts get in the way of a narrative that you are committed to pushing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:49 am Using the word detritus in your opening paragraph is pretty harsh language. I'm fairly certain Dodd didn't do so more research that would've told him Miller had a tourney team in '21 and had a roster locked and loaded for a top 20 preseason ranking. Hardly detritus. But don't let the facts get in the way of a narrative that you are committed to pushing.
If Miller left detritus, Calipari and Kryzyzewski should be fired, because we were better last year and carried far more into this year than UK or Duke.

That's just lazy reporting. There isn't detritus or a rebuild. There's a good core that Lloyd needs to be able to convert into winning a lot in 21-22 or he's gonna be a disappointment.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Postmaster wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:44 am ACC Conference Champion, Georgia Tech.
Winning the ACC this year is like..... Hmmm.....

Being nominated for 12 th man of the year!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Did they hire the guy from Los Sols yet? (it’s Cinco de Mayo)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The story about Robbins operating on Turiaf is leading the Daily Star's page. So...more ways in which Robbins is the show.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:17 pm The story about Robbins operating on Turiaf is leading the Daily Star's page. So...more ways in which Robbins is the show.
Jay Johnson’s contract is good through ‘23. Hope there’s not a random former bat boy whose grandpa had surgery that needs a job out there. The baseball team is set up well for a while.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azgreg wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:38 pm
Seems like a weird choice since the guy came over with Sean Miller from Xavier. No complaints about him as it relates to his actual job, I think he did a great job, but I wonder if he has any built up resentment due to his boss and friend of 17+ years being fired that could creep out either inadvertently or purposely that could cause a toxic environment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:43 pm
azgreg wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:38 pm
Seems like a weird choice since the guy came over with Sean Miller from Xavier. No complaints about him as it relates to his actual job, I think he did a great job, but I wonder if he has any built up resentment due to his boss and friend of 17+ years being fired that could creep out either inadvertently or purposely that could cause a toxic environment.
Don't think it's weird on either end.

Rounds can't go with Miller, so he has to stay or join a new program. Lloyd can't take Gonzaga's S&C coach, so he needs a new coach and Rounds is legit
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Is he legit?
Seems like our guys haven’t been that strong.
Don’t finish after contact or get balls knocked away in post.
Probably just biased from being a fan.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Did guy from Suns get hired?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Postmaster wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:52 pm Is he legit?
Seems like our guys haven’t been that strong.
Don’t finish after contact or get balls knocked away in post.
Probably just biased from being a fan.
Bill Walton loves Rounds. Mentions him every game he does.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

In all seriousness, what does Walton really know about Rounds?
Do they workout together?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

When's the last time Rounds has bulked or beefed up a player?

All the skinny guys stayed skinny at Arizona. I'm not holding my breath on Koloko getting bigger.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There’s something to be said for continuity when it comes to strength & conditioning. Count me as someone who is happy the players who were in the program will be familiar with the expectations and goals.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:38 pm When's the last time Rounds has bulked or beefed up a player?

All the skinny guys stayed skinny at Arizona. I'm not holding my breath on Koloko getting bigger.
Jordan Brown:

The Nevada transfer has packed on 30 pounds of muscle since arriving at Arizona last fall, now being listed at 6-foot-11, 240 pounds as a redshirt sophomore.

Derrick Williams:

When Williams arrived at U of A, he was an average-sized (6'8", 228 lbs) college forward. When he left, through tons of hard work, he had added almost 20 pounds of muscle on his way to becoming an NBA lottery pick.

Kaleb Tarczewski:

Kaleb Tarczewski "arrived at 223 pounds and is now up to about 250 pounds with just 8 percent body fat."

Brandon Ashley:

He also said that 6'8", 230-pound freshman forward Brandon Ashley "reported with 22 percent body fat, but has already dropped to nearly 10 percent."

These are a few quotes taken from articles.
ekat

Post by ekat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:38 pm When's the last time Rounds has bulked or beefed up a player?

Koloko, more than anyone, suffered from having zero access to any kind of facility or equipment last off season due to COVID. I’m reserving judgment until we can see what an actual off-season training regiment can do for him.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:08 pm

Jordan Brown:

The Nevada transfer has packed on 30 pounds of muscle since arriving at Arizona last fall, now being listed at 6-foot-11, 240 pounds as a redshirt sophomore.

Derrick Williams:

When Williams arrived at U of A, he was an average-sized (6'8", 228 lbs) college forward. When he left, through tons of hard work, he had added almost 20 pounds of muscle on his way to becoming an NBA lottery pick.

Kaleb Tarczewski:

Kaleb Tarczewski "arrived at 223 pounds and is now up to about 250 pounds with just 8 percent body fat."

Brandon Ashley:

He also said that 6'8", 230-pound freshman forward Brandon Ashley "reported with 22 percent body fat, but has already dropped to nearly 10 percent."

These are a few quotes taken from articles.
Quite a gap between '15 and '20, and only bigs?

Some of the skinny guards and wings needed to add bulk
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ekat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:22 pm

Koloko, more than anyone, suffered from having zero access to any kind of facility or equipment last off season due to COVID. I’m reserving judgment until we can see what an actual off-season training regiment can do for him.

Wasn't he working out at the same place Brandon Williams was in LA? Seem to recall some instagram post Williams had.
Dave

Post by Dave »

ekat

Post by ekat »

Merkin wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:47 am
ekat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:22 pm

Wasn't he working out at the same place Brandon Williams was in LA? Seem to recall some instagram post Williams had.
I watched him do an interview where he was talking about not having anywhere to go and using stuff he found around the house to work out with. Maybe he later got some limited access somewhere?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The internet had a lot of workout videos
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:33 am The internet had a lot of workout videos
Chris Rounds uses this one.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Since this is a place to post feelings others don't care about:

Now that the dust has settled, and transfers and recruiting are underway, I'm left with the sinking feeling that this whole situation of firing Sean Miller without cause and breaking up his team in order to hire an assistant coach has been a really ill-conceived set of actions taken by people who don't know anything about college basketball, let alone Arizona Basketball.

Maybe my high school government teacher could have succeeded Ted Kennedy in the Senate. Mr. Reiner was really smart and could tell us all about what senators do.

I look forward to my feeling changing, and hope to have reason for that change.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We didn’t just hire ANY assistant coach.

We hired a Hall of Fame assistant coach.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:15 pm We didn’t just hire ANY assistant coach.

We hired a Hall of Fame assistant coach.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Longhorned wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:42 pm Since this is a place to post feelings others don't care about:

Now that the dust has settled, and transfers and recruiting are underway, I'm left with the sinking feeling that this whole situation of firing Sean Miller without cause and breaking up his team in order to hire an assistant coach has become en a really ill-conceived set of actions taken by people who don't know anything about college basketball, let alone Arizona Basketball.

Maybe my high school government teacher could have succeeded Ted Kennedy in the Senate. Mr. Reiner was really smart and could tell us all about what senators do.

Was he an alcoholic womanizing killer?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Longhorned wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:42 pm Since this is a place to post feelings others don't care about:

Now that the dust has settled, and transfers and recruiting are underway, I'm left with the sinking feeling that this whole situation of firing Sean Miller without cause and breaking up his team in order to hire an assistant coach has been a really ill-conceived set of actions taken by people who don't know anything about college basketball, let alone Arizona Basketball.

I feel the same way. Uh................except I don't even remember my high school government teacher.

My sinking feeling is that Lloyd did a good job recruiting players to play for Mark Few. As of right now, he hasn't shown he has an ability to recruit players to play for Tommy Lloyd. Maybe some people are only great at being an assistant coach.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

It's early. I think we have to remember he got a late start. As we all know recruiting is a multi year relationship building exercise but I am hopeful. I think not having a pg is making some recruits hesitant also.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sean Miller beat out the likes of Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky for recruits.

Is Tommy Boy ready to swim with the sharks?

I guess we’ll see over the next 3-4 years.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Hard to predict that now. Guys been on the job for 3 weeks. It's a W that we were this close to getting Tyty. That impressed me
I said what I said and I mean it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:10 pm Hard to predict that now.
That’s probably why I said...
Chicat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:29 pmI guess we’ll see over the next 3-4 years.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Every time I see his name I think of Dave Chapelle saying tittays.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:38 pm
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:10 pm Hard to predict that now.
That’s probably why I said...
Chicat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:29 pmI guess we’ll see over the next 3-4 years.
What we can’t predict now after a few weeks? Man have we become soft...
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

HiCat wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:06 pm Experts
2021 Accuracy
All-Time
Prediction
Confidence

Jason Scheer
WildcatAuthority.com Arizona Insider
9 / 10 (90.00%)
327 / 378 (86.51%)
ARIZ
4/24/21 5:24 PM
High

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... edictions/

I think J Scheer is predicting Arizona. 8-) But...

5-star point guard TyTy Washington trending toward Kentucky over Arizona

TyTy Washington seems destined to suit up as a Wildcat this fall. But it might not be as an Arizona Wildcat.

The five-star point guard out of Chandler is trending toward Kentucky, according to 247Sports national recruiting analyst Travis Branham. Branham submitted a Crystal Ball prediction Thursday that Washington will choose Kentucky.

Branham selected a ‘high’ confidence level of 7 in his prediction, well below a ‘lock’ of 10.

Several other 247Sports insiders have since submitted their own Crystal Ball predictions picking Washington to Kentucky, though it’s unclear if they’re operating with any additional intel than what Branham provided to CatsPause.com.

“We are still over a week out from the TyTy commitment but as of now signs are pointing that the five-star prospect will land with Kentucky,” Branham told the Kentucky website. “The fit makes
sense here given the huge opportunity he has to come in and take the reins at the point guard spot in Lexington and Cal’s track record of success with guys in his position.”

Earlier this week Washington set a May 15 commitment date, which likely means he has zeroed in on where he wants to play college basketball.

Arizona seemed to be in good position to land the 6-foot-3 point guard until recently.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... e-trending
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Postmaster wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:31 pm Every time I see his name I think of Dave Chapelle saying tittays.
I think “Timmy Floyd”.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I have to check myself occasionally to make sure I am not letting anger over Robbins' handling of FCSM bleed into my perception of Lloyd. That was an issue early on, but I am impressed with what he has done to even keep 2021-22 treading water after what rightfully could have been a nuclear winter

I like what I know about Lloyd, and I do think he has great potential, in no small part because a legion of press who were heavily invested in the "Miller sullied great Arizona program" narrative will be extra sure to color the contrast as a redemption story. We will, for the first time in years, have positive national press. I also think he is a proven recruiter who seemed to be more involved with game-planning and game management than most assistants. And he seems truly happy to be here...not just "happy to be in (national program)", but happy to be at and aware of the expectations at Arizona. I want to put a statue of him outside the Desert Diamond Casino, Banking, and Real Estate Development Arena in Vail in 2045.

So i do not want Robbins to fail through Lloyd's failure. I hope he is so goddamn successful through luck or whatever that someone else snatches him up. Positive attrition is alwayals the best way to get rid of someone.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I want all of that too EvCat...but also with the demise of Bobbins and his puppet AD.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Tommy Lloyd sits down with Brian Jeffries
May 13, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT-QSoS5RDw
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Honestly 100% in favor of this. Always think these things are super cringe, like Duke's "the brotherhood"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not “of sorts”. Just the end of the Miller era.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sadly, PPU is still up. https://playersprogramu.com/

Maybe they will go back to PGU, or No PG U to be more accurate.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PU has a certain ring to it.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona basketball will be fine, and maybe much improved, despite recent recruiting misses
May 20, 2021, 5:00am PDT

Really, that’s where Lloyd’s biggest impact will be felt, at least this season.

While he has a reputation for recruiting, some of the most promising talk surrounding him has been about his player development skills
. Many felt Miller lacked in that area, and while it’s unfair to say the former coach never helped players improve (actually, it’s patently incorrect), if Lloyd can excel in that then the team — and program — will have a very bright future.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... ch-targets

Yep..patience is my mantra now.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

HiCat wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:20 am Arizona basketball will be fine, and maybe much improved, despite recent recruiting misses

While he has a reputation for recruiting, some of the most promising talk surrounding him has been about his player development skills
. Many felt Miller lacked in that area, and while it’s unfair to say the former coach never helped players improve (actually, it’s patently incorrect), if Lloyd can excel in that then the team — and program — will have a very bright future.

100% agree - with Lloyd, Fois, & Bakamus on staff, I love pickups like Adama Bal because I feel really confident that guys like that will get much closer to their ultimate potential than they would have under Miller. This will take time to come to fruition but I'm excited to see it.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

People forget Miller missed on a ton of top end talent after raiding Xavier and USC in the off-season (frankly he could nab those guys because they would be guaranteed starters, something Lloyd doesn't have). Took him a couple of years to get big time guys, we'll see how his recruiting looks with a whole year recruiting and some coaching tape. We don't even know if he'll chase 5*s.

Some more serious than others but off the top of my head.

Josh Selby
Adreian Payne
Ray McCallum
Vander Blue
Quinn Cook
Jabari Brown
Kyle Wiltjer
Doron Lamb
Dominique Ferguson
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:20 am Arizona basketball will be fine, and maybe much improved, despite recent recruiting misses

It's time for my summer hibernation, so I'll post one last maybe Debbie Downer thing.

I don't really agree with optimism here, but it's not a shot at Lloyd. I agree with the sentence that the idea players didn't develop under Miller is demonstrably incorrect. As such, I don't expect a particular difference here.

Lloyd's potential is in the areas of recruiting and retaining for longer periods of time.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Miller's problem wasn't developing player's, it was keeping them. Miller brought in 38 player's and only 8 of them stayed 4 year's.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tucson.com ... 2.amp.html
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dave wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:01 am Miller's problem wasn't developing player's, it was keeping them. Miller brought in 38 player's and only 8 of them stayed 4 year's.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tucson.com ... 2.amp.html
One last thought. More retention and consequently more development is an area Lloyd can help himself in.

I do take issue with classing that as a problem for Miller. I've posted before that 35% of players transfer in their first 2 years at a D1 school. So to be average, of Miller's 38, 14 fr/soph transfers would be average.

So we're down to 24. Remove next guys who left to have NBA careers or be picks. That's 14 players, so we're down to 10. Add in Ray Smith and Brandon Williams suffering career ending injuries and you're at exactly 8 players.

Again, if Lloyd can pump up that number, it will be a good thing for his tenure. That said, the #'s under Miller get wrongly, IMO, represented as unusually bad. For me, it's a natural outcome of the roster instability today and putting a lot of guys in the pros. I didn't even count people like Comanche as pro exits, only guys who were drafted and/or played in the NBA, and numbers were pretty consistent with the actual result.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I can't imagine what these numbers will look like down the road if they let the transfer portal get crazy.