Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by RondaeShimmy »

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:55 am
prh wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:28 pm
EVCat wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:28 am
Chicat wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:54 am That’s a shitload of assumptions and conjecture for one post. I’m actually very impressed.
perhaps i should simplfy

if Lloyd has success greater than Miller, the Pres and AD deserve credit.

The end.
Is this stolen from Hansen? They intentionally torpedoed Sean and are putting full support behind Tommy. It would take an absolute catastrophe for Tommy to not have more success here than Sean.
Solid point I regret not making. It does help not having administration actively working against you.
And that is a fair contextual point...would be more fair to say if he has more success than Miller's first few years.

This has put me in a weird position of feeling like a Robbins/Heeke stan, which I am not. I just am also not a fan of scorched earth groupthink. There are degrees to things. And it is fair to note that Miller's end years performance is impacted directly by Robbins and Heeke's fuckery
97cats

Post by 97cats »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:02 am
love
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I don't think this has to be a constant comparison between Tommy and Sean. I think long term determines the success of any coach. I know Sean was the 3 fastest to 400 wins behind Lute, Heckman and ahead of Wooden. That was long term success measured against Hall of Fame coaches. Tommy is off to a great start and I am appreciative of that without discounting Sean's accomplishments.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

What pisses me off is I was watching Texas against Seton Hall and the announcers ask what team has been a surprise? No one mentions Arizona and then it came up on the graphic and they said oh yeah Arizona. Then they wanted to recognize first year coaches that were doing better than expected. They then show a graphic with 5 coaches all with at least 1 loss and Davis (UNC) 2 losses. NO Tommy ...no mention. I honestly feel they purposely downplay the PAC especially when Fox is showing back to back PAC games with UCLA and Arizona. I really feel they are idiots or just not recognizing the PAC because they have no contract to show our games.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Arizona isn’t a surprise for anyone paying attention
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Heeke/Robbins had made five hires this past year. Football, men's basketball, baseball, women's soccer, and softball. Two coaches have completed their seasons, and each notched 1 conference win. Not exactly a good start. Lloyd has been great so far, but the season is only 1/3 over. Baseball and softball should be fine, but both coaches inherit World Series teams. Still way too early to grade any of the hires, but we'll see how many of these hires last 5 years in Tucson.

As for Lloyd, the big difference this year is style of D. Nothing against the pack-line, and Sean Miller won a lot of games using it. Virginia won a National Championship utilizing the D as well. But the issue with the pack-line is it doesn't create a lot of live ball turnovers. And when you have athletes like Mathurin, Terry, Keriisa, and Kier on the outside, and rim protectors like Koloko and Ballo, you want to play press D and speed up the other team. Especially the way this team runs out on breaks.

Miller tried to play fast, and KenPom adjusted, for the most part, we did. But the pack-line D is not intended to speed the other team up, nor create live ball turnovers like a press D does. And that's the biggest difference year over year in my opinion. Instead of packing the D in, we're playing passing lanes and aren't worrying about getting beat off the dribble, because the guards know we have an eraser at the rim. The result is the points per possession isn't that much different, but we're getting more possessions because we're causing more turnovers and speeding our opponents up, causing them to make mistakes or rush shots.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Olsondogg wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:32 am Arizona isn’t a surprise for anyone paying attention
I expected the Cats to shine brighter this year, but not to dim the rest of the firmament!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I don't know what Tommy is doing to make us so good, but I am so thankful he's ours. No wonder Gonzaga was so high on him.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:27 pm I don't know what Tommy is doing to make us so good, but I am so thankful he's ours. No wonder Gonzaga was so high on him.
Good point. It isn't surprising he allegedly already had a deal in place to be the next head coach there -- Gonzaga and Few clearly knew what they had. And after seeing the AZ offense on full display thus far, it reaffirms the notion that he oversaw Few's offense at Gonzaga.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Tommy Fucking Boy Lloyd. I don’t care what you call him. All I know is he just went into a hostile environment with everyone chomping on the bit to knock them off and emerged with a win.

That’s Arizona worthy…
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Illinois made 16 three pointers and had a 19-0 run and lost at home - this win today was something else.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:44 pm Illinois made 16 three pointers and had a 19-0 run and lost at home - this win today was something else.
And a very homer friendly refereeing crew.

Also outside of Tubelis and Mathurin, and a 2nd half Kriisa, everyone else just had marginal games.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

He'd be a great coach if he could get Ballo to pass the ball and repost.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

TheCat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:45 pm He'd be a great coach if he could get Ballo to pass the ball and repost.
If our backup center needing to improve is our biggest problem I’ll take it.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Merkin wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:14 pm
97cats wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:44 pm Illinois made 16 three pointers and had a 19-0 run and lost at home - this win today was something else.
And a very homer friendly refereeing crew.

Also outside of Tubelis and Mathurin, and a 2nd half Kriisa, everyone else just had marginal games.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I was getting nervous during the review of the play where Kriisa threw the ball off an Illini because Desk Dude was jacking his jaw at the refs as they hunkered over the monitor. I just knew the initial call was gonna be reversed.

And that 5 second call (which was really about 6.5 seconds) only happened because a check to the ref bounced.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:22 pm I was getting nervous during the review of the play where Kriisa threw the ball off an Illini because Desk Dude was jacking his jaw at the refs as they hunkered over the monitor. I just knew the initial call was gonna be reversed.

And that 5 second call (which was really about 6.5 seconds) only happened because a check to the ref bounced.

The 5 second call came because it was actually 7.5 seconds.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

IrishAzCat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:13 pm Image
Tommy Lloyd says Arizona 'did just enough' to beat Illinois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMr5SHt-4t8
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Watching Brad Underwood scream, cry, threaten, and verbally abuse the refs for two hours even when their players were getting away with throwing elbows on tie ups and kneeing our players in the back on loose balls on the floor made me thankful for Tommy Boy’s calm demeanor.

The way he calmly asked for explanations and then pled his case to the refs without going on forever or trying to keep the argument going long after the ball was put back into play (another Underwood tactic that I’m surprised didn’t earn him a tech) was good to see. I thought that rubbed off on the team. Illinois played tight and angry while Arizona was calm and confident. Could have been the difference between winning and losing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chi- I’m starting to put together a list of charities for a certain bet….
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:02 am Chi- I’m starting to put together a list of charities for a certain bet….
You’re the man Ari! And so is Tommy Lloyd so far.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

After listening to Underwoods presser I got the impression he’s a hot head. And I do remember seeing him during the game going ballistic.

Sort of a basketball version of Mike Stoops.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:13 am
Alieberman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:02 am Chi- I’m starting to put together a list of charities for a certain bet….
You’re the man Ari! And so is Tommy Lloyd so far.
Come here you son of a bitch.

97cats

Post by 97cats »

:lol:
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So when Illinois went on it’s 19-0 run, LLoyd used only 1 TO. He also had the under 8 minute TV TO but when I watched that unfold I thought of Miller and how many TO’s He would have used
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

The biggest stretch of the game. When we were down 13 I said to myself “well, let’s now really see what this team is made of.”

Cutting the lead to 4 by halftime was so huge and told me everything I wanted to know. This team has big time huevos…
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:19 am So when Illinois went on it’s 19-0 run, LLoyd used only 1 TO. He also had the under 8 minute TV TO but when I watched that unfold I thought of Miller and how many TO’s He would have used
I had the same thought rewatching the game last night. We would have been out of TOs by halftime. Instead it was Illinois who had to be careful with their timeouts. They took their second to last with like 13 minutes left in the second half. And with our press and traps there was a real danger they’d need the last one with way too much time left on the clock.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:19 am So when Illinois went on it’s 19-0 run, LLoyd used only 1 TO. He also had the under 8 minute TV TO but when I watched that unfold I thought of Miller and how many TO’s He would have used
I'll take "All of them" for $300 Alex.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:37 am
I had the same thought rewatching the game last night. We would have been out of TOs by halftime. Instead it was Illinois who had to be careful with their timeouts. They took their second to last with like 13 minutes left in the second half. And with our press and traps there was a real danger they’d need the last one with way too much time left on the clock.
Tommy is a lot more of the Lute mindset of trusting his team to figure it out
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Cats trailed by one point with under 2:30 in the second half and Lloyd went to Tubelis on the block to block back screen from Kriisa with tall Terry delivering the entry pass perfectly gaining the lead they would not relinquish again.

great design and perfect execution in a moment where Arizona had to have a basket.

big-time by Lloyd & players
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

97cats wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:23 am Cats trailed by one point with under 2:30 in the second half and Lloyd went to Tubelis on the block to block back screen from Kriisa with tall Terry delivering the entry pass perfectly gaining the lead they would not relinquish again.

great design and perfect execution in a moment where Arizona had to have a basket.

That was the bucket that I thought was impossibly important.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:27 am
97cats wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:23 am Cats trailed by one point with under 2:30 in the second half and Lloyd went to Tubelis on the block to block back screen from Kriisa with tall Terry delivering the entry pass perfectly gaining the lead they would not relinquish again.

That was the bucket that I thought was impossibly important.
..... and it was pulled off perfectly with Kofi arriving just a moment too late to block it into the glass.

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

so good

he had that play in before the free throws, its a mature move and smart to go to the reliable Tubelis there in that spot and have Terry deliver. its these moments nobody knew how Lloyd would react cause there was no sample size. he himself maybe didnt even fully know, but it seems its natural for him. it looks natural. clearly Lloyd is a very bright basketball coach first, at least thats what i feel like i'm learning. that play in that moment incapsulates some of that for me.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

This style of play is what so many of us asked from Miller. You recruit these guys and then never let them go. I know CSM was just wound too tight to let the team go.
He was done dirty but it’s nice to see CTL let loose the hounds.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

HiCat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:27 am Don't know if this is up already. (delete if so)

13. Arizona (NR): The Wildcats were as impressive as any team in the past week with a dominating tournament win in Las Vegas, capped off by a dismantling of Michigan.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... t-power-36

17. Arizona
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... fz;rn;fp;1;;

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ked-teams/

Arizona
Bennedict Mathurin finished with 30 points and seven rebounds in Saturday's 83-79 win at Illinois. The Wildcats' next game is Wednesday against Northern Colorado. 2 9-0
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

So...if i love the Lloyd hire can i still hate Robbins? Asking for a friend.

Also...does he and Adia bring back certain boosters to the program who have been away for a minute? I think if the year finishes similar to the start you lock Tommy up minus the oil deals

Confession...Love Sean Miller still, and you can see the defense he coached is in the players he coached currently. But holy offense explosion Lute style. We're deeeep....I'm really hoping the defensive tenacity continues after Seans guys mature out of the program
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

whatisee wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:09 am So...if i love the Lloyd hire can i still hate Robbins? Asking for a friend.

Also...does he and Adia bring back certain boosters to the program who have been away for a minute? I think if the year finishes similar to the start you lock Tommy up minus the oil deals

Confession...Love Sean Miller still, and you can see the defense he coached is in the players he coached currently. But holy offense explosion Lute style. We're deeeep....I'm really hoping the defensive tenacity continues after Seans guys mature out of the program
Robbins, a university president who has no business getting involved with a basketball hire, tossed our postseason last year so he could fire Miller without cause, and hired a head coach with no head coaching experience. Yes, you can still hate Robbins even if you love Lloyd after he gets Miller's players to stay and builds a winning tradition with them.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I think a lot of it is what Sean said on his podcast. These guys are pissed (paraphrasing) that they got robbed of the tourney last year and are hungry to win.

I love the intensity on both sides, but especially the defense. We are swarming to all loose balls, swiping anytime a big brings the ball down…and getting up in the other teams jock the whole game. We make them work to score. I love it!

I haven’t felt this good about a team since before BAsh got hurt. “Ecstatic” doesn’t sum it up.

BEAR THE FUCK DOWN!!!
Tommy is dorky…but the man knows basketball!!!!!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:21 am
whatisee wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:09 am So...if i love the Lloyd hire can i still hate Robbins? Asking for a friend.

Robbins, a university president who has no business getting involved with a basketball hire, tossed our postseason last year so he could fire Miller without cause, and hired a head coach with no head coaching experience. Yes, you can still hate Robbins even if you love Lloyd after he gets Miller's players to stay and builds a winning tradition with them.
Robbins is a moron, but like I said before, Tommy Lloyd was quite frankly the easiest lay up for Robbins in regards to coaching candidates without head coaching experience goes.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:28 am

Robbins is a moron, but like I said before, Tommy Lloyd was quite frankly the easiest lay up for Robbins in regards to coaching candidates without head coaching experience goes.
Normally the fan base would have never accepted a coach without head coaching history because of our 'history'. I personally think Tommy happened at the exact time the fan base would accept the hire. Uncertainty with possible sanctions looming. Let's get a bandaide hire until the dust settles, and then go after a top name. Doesn't really seem to be the case anymore imo. Tommy is the guy
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Tommy won't be the guy very long if he rests on Miller's laurels. I don't think he will do that, I'm just saying Tucson loyalty to a basketball coach comes with standards that must meet and bear the burden of history. It gets tougher from here.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

whatisee wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:36 am
Normally the fan base would have never accepted a coach without head coaching history because of our 'history'. I personally think Tommy happened at the exact time the fan base would accept the hire. Uncertainty with possible sanctions looming. Let's get a bandaide hire until the dust settles, and then go after a top name. Doesn't really seem to be the case anymore imo. Tommy is the guy
Oh yeah, under any normal circumstances a head coach with no head coaching experience wouldn't have even been humored, but with our situation where we had to choose from the top AHC available or unqualified alums, it was as much of a lay up as we could've gotten.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:50 am
whatisee wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:36 am
Oh yeah, under any normal circumstances a head coach with no head coaching experience wouldn't have even been humored, but with our situation where we had to choose from the top AHC available or unqualified alums, it was as much of a lay up as we could've gotten.
This. And with the cupboard not being bare and having a bunch of players that fit into CTL's style no wonder his #1 goal was to retain all of Miller's players.

That was the biggest move of the offseason imo.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:45 am Tommy won't be the guy very long if he rests on Miller's laurels. I don't think he will do that, I'm just saying Tucson loyalty to a basketball coach comes with standards that must meet and bear the burden of history. It gets tougher from here.
He’s also setting the bar very high for himself, which I’m sure he’d tell you is a fantastic problem to have.

But if the narrative is “just wait until he gets his own recruits!” and then teams featuring only his recruits underperform the ones that feature Miller players, that narrative can turn around in a hurry.

His most important job right now might just be riding the momentum of his on-court success into recruiting trail success.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Agree on this point a lot. The positive thing for Llyod's recruiting is the style of play this team shows. Tenacious D with a run and gun offense. What recruit wouldn't want to play under this system? I'm sure our start this year has answered a lot of the 1st questions kids and family have thinking about a school to further their careers. As I look at the roster i see a 3 to 4 possible losses to the team next year. So that leaves a few openings.

I love Kerr, but does anyone think about this offense under Akinjo? Look at Baylor... Kerr's tenacity fuels the current team imo
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Two other things. First, it isn't all crazy that a top ten national job could score a guy with no HC experience. All credit to Lloyd, but it isn't like it's a shocking coup we pulled a guy who's never been a HC before.

Also, and this is assuming Lloyd is gonna be pretty good, isn't that just meeting expectations for Robbins? I think we've become accustomed to such failure (Sumlin) that simply hiring a good coach into a really attractive job is viewed as a win.

Like if you're hiring for CEO of a Fortune 500 company, you expect you'll get good candidates. Hiring someone who's good...it's a compliment to the candidate but not really to the hiring committee.

Plus, giving Robbins credit sort of overlooks the rumblings he almost screwed up what should have been a guaranteed hire.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:10 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:45 am Tommy won't be the guy very long if he rests on Miller's laurels. I don't think he will do that, I'm just saying Tucson loyalty to a basketball coach comes with standards that must meet and bear the burden of history. It gets tougher from here.
He’s also setting the bar very high for himself, which I’m sure he’d tell you is a fantastic problem to have.

But if the narrative is “just wait until he gets his own recruits!” and then teams featuring only his recruits underperform the ones that feature Miller players, that narrative can turn around in a hurry.

His most important job right now might just be riding the momentum of his on-court success into recruiting trail success.
I mean, this is obviously the most negative example, but I pointed to Kevin Ollie. UConn loved him when he won a natty with someone else's players. Then he fell off a cliff and got fired.

Lloyd is doing a very good job with this group. His ability to bring in new talent to match the outgoing is a key for his, or any coach's, long term success.

It is just how it is.