Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:02 am
Merkin wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:56 am Looked like Cockburn took around the same around the time to get a FT off. But if they weren't going to call an offensive foul on him for pushing around Koloko, they certainly wouldn't call that.
That's why when I see people saying Illinois fans were complaining, I don't get it. Aside from just homerism, the refs let them play for most of the game. Cockburn dropped his shoulder and knocked Koloko back a lot.

The overall #'s weren't particularly odd either. We had more fouls but more FT's.
You should have heard them in the arena. Every tie-up was a foul on Arizona. Every loose ball should have been an attempted murder charge. According to their fans, it was amazing most of their team didn’t need to be taken out of the arena by ambulance. And any whistle against Illinois was the greatest travesty since the ‘72 USA/USSR Basketball final.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

they have always been a whiney, trashy bunch - just a step above Missouri fan
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:12 am they have always been a whiney, trashy bunch - just a step above Missouri fan
It’s because they have nothing. No legacy. No glory years. And so little overall success for a major state school.

I was looking at their banners and it was sad. They don’t have a B1G championship since 2005. Their retired jerseys are all from the team that beat us and before. Their pre-game hype video all showed stuff from the same era.

No wonder they’re such miserable fucks.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

im miserable myself just thinking about it
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

And considering what happened the last 5:00 of the 2005 Tourney game, the unmitigated gall by Illini fans to complain they did not receive the benefit of the calls in a game against Arizona is about as laughable as it gets.

And I'm miserable just thinking about you guys thinking about it...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Waiting for Merk or someone to post the picture of Channing getting whacked in the face and no call.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
mofo

Post by mofo »

They wouldn't even call a foul in that '05 game when we were intentionally trying to foul at the end of the game. I remember Salim had a hold of one of their guy's jerseys running around trying to foul him and they wouldn't call it. Fuck Illinois.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:36 am Waiting for Merk or someone to post the picture of Channing getting whacked in the face and no call.
That was too painful to keep but I do remember the image vividly. I think it was a screen capture from a youtube video which I still can't watch.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Ugh...the sting from that '05 loss will never go away completely.
Fendicent4ever

Post by Fendicent4ever »

97cats wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:12 am they have always been a whiney, trashy bunch - just a step above Missouri fan
Can confirm. Senior year of HS, before I had decided on Arizona for undergrad I went to the 04-05 Final Four. Yup, that one. I had a blast with my Grandpa, cousin, and uncles. Ran into Tubby Smith, Jim Calhoun, Bob Ryan, Billy Murray, former VP Candidate John Edwards, and lots of others just milling around St. Louis. Highly recommend attending a Final Four even as a neutral. And for the record, I wasn't an Arizona fan growing up. That affiliation/affliction would start that August.

Carolina fans were fine, Louisville its almost like they weren't there, Michigan State was pleasant. But Illinois? Never seen so many dumb mouth breathers in one place with one exception- and you all know where. The scale of it was a lot to take. The I-L-L...chant blows btw. Bunch of insufferable, loud, drunk, unattractive morons from my vantage point. So while I don't have the understandable axe to grind that many of you do, it was fun to watch Rashad McCants and Sean May bully them out of the gym.

Also- hoping Seth Davis just sort of fades away. What is he bringing to the table at this point that can't be replaced? I don't even click on his sh** so I know it ain't engagement...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just watched Tommy’s post game presser after Northern Colorado… he could be the most even keeled man in the world.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:33 pm Just watched Tommy’s post game presser after Northern Colorado… he could be the most even keeled man in the world.
Arizona Basketball Press Conference - Tommy Lloyd
Dec 15, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu09w1kxmoA
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona, Iowa State among college basketball's top surprise teams so far in 2021-22 season
These teams have stuck out above the rest for exceeding expectations early this season
By David Cobb
23 hrs ago
4 min read

Arizona

This is all on a sliding scale, as I'm not surprised by Arizona being good enough to easily make the NCAA Tournament. I did anticipate that, as I ranked the Wildcats in the top 30 in the preseason. But did I -- or anyone for that matter -- think Arizona would be looking like a No. 1 seed through the first month-plus of the season? That would be a no. No, no, no. Tommy Lloyd has come in and done a marvelous job to date, and even if some of the wins might be good as opposed to great (Michigan, Illinois are a combined 13-7; meh), we're still going to give credit to a retooled team with a new coach that went 17-9 a season ago.

U of A is No. 1 in the NET and is only one of two schools with three Quad 1 wins already (Providence being the other). It rates among the best offenses and has a defense that's formidable around the rim. Sophomore wing Bennedict Mathurin is averaging 27.7 points and 7.7 rebounds on 60.8% shooting. The combination of Sean Miller bringing in so much international talent and then Lloyd, who thrived in recruiting those players at Gonzaga for more than a decade, coaching that talent has been a beautiful fit. Lloyd is on my top three for coach of the year so far, and Arizona looks like it has the components to make the Final Four. Surprising indeed. -- Matt Norlander

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... 22-season/
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Love how Norlander says the wins over BIG teams away from McKale are “meh” and in the next paragraph states we are the only team besides providence to have 3 quad 1 wins.

He should stick to his lousy musical opinions
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

HiCat wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:05 am Tommy Lloyd has come in and done a marvelous job to date, and even if some of the wins might be good as opposed to great (Michigan, Illinois are a combined 13-7; meh), we're still going to give credit to a retooled team with a new coach that went 17-9 a season ago.

And they'd be 15-5 (.750) if the Cats hadn't beat them both.
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:11 am Love how Norlander says the wins over BIG teams away from McKale are “meh” and in the next paragraph states we are the only team besides providence to have 3 quad 1 wins.

He should stick to his lousy musical opinions
Michigan's been pretty disappointing this year and Illinois's only potential good win is Kansas State.

But you can only beat who you play. It's no big deal. I'd disagree more that this is shocking. Mathurin, Tubelis, Kriisa and Koloko were all pretty much known quantities in terms of talent. Sure, there were a lot of new roles, a short bench and a new coaching staff, but I never think it's shocking when really talented players play like they're talented.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Tommy really should rehire Sean Miller as his head recruiter.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:00 pm Tommy really should rehire Sean Miller as his head recruiter.
Then we'd get put on double secret probation.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

When I look at this team, I see the Warriors. You’ve got a first time coach (Kerr) who inherits a team (from Mark Jackson) with a great defensive foundation. And they turned into this juggermaut. Lloyd comes in and Inherits a team with a great defensive foundation. So far, so good. (They kind of play like them, too, don’t you think?)

If this type if success and style of play continues, (and I don’t mean undefeated) I don’t see why there is any doubt that there will be a pipeline of Gonzaga type players coming to AZ. Heck, seems to me some of those guys that would have gone to Gonzaga will take a look at the weather reports -about any day during the season- for Eastern Washington and Tucson and hmmmmmm......
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona Basketball Press Conference - Tommy Lloyd
Dec 18, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0aQ8ORsKng
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

As most of you know, I was not on the Tommy Boy Train pretty much at all before the season started.

After this loss, I’m actually about 95% convinced he’s the right guy for the job.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:41 am As most of you know, I was not on the Tommy Boy Train pretty much at all before the season started.

After this loss, I’m actually about 95% convinced he’s the right guy for the job.
Pumped to hear you say that, Chi!

BTFD! And happy holidays!
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:41 am As most of you know, I was not on the Tommy Boy Train pretty much at all before the season started.

Agree, with the remaining open questions being solely about roster management and recruiting.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:58 am

Agree, with the remaining open questions being solely about roster management and recruiting.
Yeah, pretty much.

I was very concerned with game day management but our three true road games were blowout win, comeback victory, and close loss after another great comeback. I’d say he and his team are very mentally tough and adjust fairly well to difficult circumstances.

Recruiting and constructing well-balanced rosters are about the only question marks but we won’t know the answer to the first for at least a couple of years and may not know the answer to the second for five+. So for now, I’m going to enjoy the ride. Well done Tommy Boy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Can he still be Tommy Boy, though?

Coaching-wise, there's only so much you can do to prepare your team for an elite defense like you've never faced in a true road game. This team didn't just get punched in the mouth. They got knocked down for an 8-count. And Tommy Boy coached them through it and is still coaching them through the lessons learned. We'll be ready for the LA schools.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm not sure this game moved me closer to believing in Lloyd, but it doesn't change my estimation he's done very well with this group of players.

I don't think the L made me believe more, but it didn't make me believe less.

Every team and every coach has adversity. He's done very well to this point, now we get to see how he guides a team through adversity.

And even if he doesn't guide us through adversity perfectly, he's a first year HC. He's doing fine even if there's still stuff he has to learn and develop.

The only way this is bad is if we tailspin in the face of adversity. Then I'd worry.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:05 pm Can he still be Tommy Boy, though?
I promised Choo I’d call him Tommy Boy 600 more times three weeks ago so I’m guessing I’ve got at least 580 left in me.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:31 pm
I promised Choo I’d call him Tommy Boy 600 more times three weeks ago so I’m guessing I’ve got at least 580 left in me.
I say if he knocks off the LA schools next week you cut that in half.

:)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:34 pm

It’s a term of endearment. Like when I call my friends “Champ” or “Needle Dick”.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's only an insult when you call Tommy Lloyd by the name Timmy Floyd.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:41 pm

It’s a term of endearment. Like when I call my friends “Champ” or “Needle Dick”.
I know I’m going to regret asking…but what do you call your enemies?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:44 pm

Enemies? Everybody loves me.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:48 pm

Sure, let's run with that..................
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:48 pm

Huzzah!

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Sundevil, blue devil, Illini, Jayhawk, and rich Herrera.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Based on some messages I'm getting about that pic I posted above, some of you need to start watching The Great. If you can survive season 1, which rates only 999.9999 out of 1000, season 2 is perfect television. Aliens will visit our planet when they caught some episodes The Great on their intergalactic wave signals.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Coach Lloyd made a warriors game during his stop in the bay area
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Love seeing the different era's bonding!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Wouldn't it be cool if his middle initial was B? I did a search. I got nuthin'.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
mofo

Post by mofo »

Who’s the dude with Muelbach in the last pic? The name’s not coming to mind.
ralmom22

Post by ralmom22 »

Reggie Geary
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ralmom22 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:36 pm Reggie Geary
He was the radio color analyst Sunday.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:39 pm
How was he? Might have to find an audio stream with Walton/Pasch doing the UCLA game.

Although syncing up the streams is pretty hard.
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:53 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:39 pm
How was he? Might have to find an audio stream with Walton/Pasch doing the UCLA game.

Although syncing up the streams is pretty hard.
One of the apps for radio streaming helps sync it up, I saw it advertised for college basketball a few weeks ago. Can't remember what it was though.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Who is guy wearing mask with Kerr, Geary and Gardner?