Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Beachcat97 »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:30 pm Who is guy wearing mask with Kerr, Geary and Gardner?
Pretty sure it’s Bruce Fraser.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:30 pm Who is guy wearing mask with Kerr, Geary and Gardner?
Warriors asst coach Bruce Frazier. He's one of the original gumbies. He was here from 84 - 87
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

IDK - is that Jud Buechler maybe?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

MountainCat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:06 am
IDK - is that Jud Buechler maybe?

It's Bruce Fraser, like 84Cat said one post above.

He was the first walk-on I remember that got so much love from McKale when he would score.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Pascoe interview with Steve Kerr

Steve Kerr calls Tommy Lloyd 'a great guy, great coach' — and loves what he's seen from the Cats
Bruce Pascoe Jan 25, 2022 Updated 10 min ago

Former UA basketball star Steve Kerr says he's been impressed with coach Tommy Lloyd's basketball mind and the Wildcats' on-court play so far this season.

Bruce Pascoe

SAN FRANCISCO — After the Arizona Wildcats took in the Warriors-Rockets game last Friday, Golden State coach Steve Kerr invited UA coach Tommy Lloyd and his staff to his office.

It wasn’t just about talking hoops. Or even their shared Wildcat bond, with Lloyd now running a program that retired Kerr’s jersey for his standout playing days under legendary coach Lute Olson.

It was also just about friendship.

'We had a few beers and hung out," Kerr said. "Tommy’s become a really good friend. What a great guy, great coach. And fun to watch."

In an interview with the Star after the Warriors defeated the Utah Jazz on Sunday at the Chase Center, Kerr elaborated on Lloyd and this season’s Wildcats.

Did you know Lloyd before?

A: "Never met him until this summer, when we went to Coach Olson’s service (last September). I had a chance to visit with him and I was really impressed. And then I obviously watch the games anytime I can. I’m loving the energy, the creativity on the floor. And there’s a lot of interesting things they’re doing defensively.”

What do you see there?

A: "I know (Gonzaga coach) Mark Few pretty well. I think Mark’s got a great basketball mind, and obviously Tommy clearly has picked up on a lot of things. They have some interesting schemes and coverages, and they play really hard. And when you get stops, you get out and run and all of a sudden the offense gets a lot easier.”

Steve Kerr said he befriended Tommy Lloyd after spending time with the coach before and after Lute Olson's memorial service in September.

Offensively, when you look at them, are they similar to what you guys do or what Lute’s teams did back in the day?

A: "You know, (Lloyd) came out here during training camp and spent a night, and went to a game and a practice. We sat in my office with 'Q' (Warriors assistant coach Bruce Fraser, who played with Kerr at UA). We talked about a lot of stuff and compared notes. I think we share a very similar view of the game. Not just schematically, but in terms of how to play with passion and joy, and playing together. That stuff really matters to both of us.

"You can see when you watch them play, there’s a lot of smiles and a lot of energy, and I think that’s something that we really shoot for as well. We try to generate a really good vibe with the group and it matters. It manifests itself on the court. for sure.”

So did you talk about that kind of thing more than about X's and O's, or half and half?

A: "Both, yeah. And he asked me about some of the stuff we were working on in camp. The NBA and college are pretty different, but basketball is still about five guys being connected and moving the ball. So there were a lot of things that we really shared."

Have you seen a difference between what he’s doing and what Mark’s done at Gonzaga? Pretty similar?

A: "I think it’s very similar. I haven’t examined it closely enough or anything, but it’s only natural when you’re with a guy for 20 years that you’re going to pick up a lot."

You say you’ve watched a lot of (Arizona) games. Are you surprised at how they’ve been doing?

A: "I have no idea. I really don’t follow college basketball much. I watch Arizona any chance I get, but I don’t watch any other games because I’m busy watching NBA games. When the season started, I think I looked at the rankings to see if they were picked. (They received votes in the preseason AP Top 25 but were not ranked)."

Curious about one other thing: The point guard (Kerr Kriisa). Is he living up to his name?

A: "(Laughs). He’s got way more swag than I ever had. Man, I love watching him play. The guy plays with a lot of confidence. Good young player. He runs the team and he’s fun to watch."

Seems like he’s embraced not only being out there as a personality but also being named after you, wearing the Kerr name on his back.

A: "It’s pretty cool."

So you had them all over here (on Friday). Was it a surprise that all worked out?

A: "I’m just glad it worked out. Tommy called me and we put our groups together and they arranged the tickets. They came into this (interview) room and Andre (Iguodala) talked to them.

"I think all of us are just really proud. As an alum, you take great pride in the school and when your team is doing well, there’s something really special about that. I’m just excited that Tommy’s doing such a great job."
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It pains me to say this: Bruce, those questions didn't suck.

It is wise of Lloyd to blend brands with ex-Arizona NBA/Warriors basketball. Let's hope a ton of recruits who love the Dubs read this.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It definitely doesn't suck to have the best team in the NBA coached by an AZ legend.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

There was one thing Mike Montgomery said during our broadcast. He said that the way Az plays is going to be very attractive to the transfer portal. Tommy's strategy might be only take transfer portal guys next year with sanctions uncertain and then all in on 2023. All we are lacking in my mind is a deadeye shooter depending on who goes and who stays.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:07 pm There was one thing Mike Montgomery said during our broadcast. He said that the way Az plays is going to be very attractive to the transfer portal. Tommy's strategy might be only take transfer portal guys next year with sanctions uncertain and then all in on 2023. All we are lacking in my mind is a deadeye shooter depending on who goes and who stays.
If I had to guess right now, BM and CK are gone. Everyone else back.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Agree on BM don't agree to C-Lo.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:00 pm It definitely doesn't suck to have the best team in the NBA coached by an AZ legend.
I had no idea Monty Williams was a former UA legend! When did he play for us? Before Lute? Because I can't place him.

And who knew Fraser was Q?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

EVCat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:19 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:00 pm It definitely doesn't suck to have the best team in the NBA coached by an AZ legend.
I had no idea Monty Williams was a former UA legend! When did he play for us? Before Lute? Because I can't place him.

I think he was referring to Steve Kerr... ... not Monty :roll:
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Not to start an shit storm with the last remaining Miller die hards, but it's Incredible how Archie's and Mack's systems and play styles, which were essentially the same as Sean's, looked so archaic and outdated (and with much less talent).

I think that Arizona would've been in a similar situation if Miller couldn't recruit from the get go or going forward. I think we got out at the perfect time.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Huh? He recruited the team you are cheering for.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:13 pm Huh? He recruited the team you are cheering for.
I've tried this approach with Miller haters. Highly ineffective.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

MountainCat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:45 pm
EVCat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:19 pm

I think he was referring to Steve Kerr... ... not Monty :roll:

I think he was making a joke.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

First time since he’s had this job that the job looked too big for him. Didn’t reign in his point guard, didn’t call enough timeouts, took too long to try to adjust. Hopefully Tommy learned something today.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:16 pm First time since he’s had this job that the job looked too big for him. Didn’t reign in his point guard, didn’t call enough timeouts, took too long to try to adjust. Hopefully Tommy learned something today.
Disagree.

The Wichita St. game he got lucky doing the same thing, albeit we lost a lead instead of being in a hole.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:01 pm Not to start an shit storm with the last remaining Miller die hards, but it's Incredible how Archie's and Mack's systems and play styles, which were essentially the same as Sean's, looked so archaic and outdated (and with much less talent).

I think that Arizona would've been in a similar situation if Miller couldn't recruit from the get go or going forward. I think we got out at the perfect time.
Right after this post we played a game in which Miller's play style would have given us a better chance to win than Lloyd's. Fewer possessions and fewer to's help you stay close when your stars are shooting poorly where higher tempo and to's exacerbate the impact of cold shooting.

Not that I'm slamming Lloyd, the reality is every style leaves something on the table. Miller's makes it harder to separate but keeps you closer on bad nights. Lloyd's makes it easier to separate but harder to keep close on off nights.

There was a great post the other day on metrics of NC teams, and teams that won nattys had an average pace rank of #130 nationally. Of course I like it because it supports me, but I do heavily believe style is overrated. You see Tony Bennett winning a natty with a Miller like style fairly soon after Roy Williams won one with a much higher tempo style.

One other point, a lot of people here sort of act like recruiting is separate from coaching. Recruiting is non-optional if you hope to win big. Name me an NC team without a few future pros.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

A lot of deep runs in the tourney are also just a lot of tiny things and coincidences snowballing into something much bigger 🤷‍♂️
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Fishclamps wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:56 am A lot of deep runs in the tourney are also just a lot of tiny things and coincidences snowballing into something much bigger 🤷‍♂️
Hey man, you don't need to get personal with Wayne Tinkle like that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:16 pm Didn’t reign in his point guard, didn’t call enough timeouts, took too long to try to adjust.
I think even Lute would have given Kriisa the hook after Kriisa kept chucking up 3s without even trying to run a play. Not just Nico, but reminded me of Jason Gardner shooting the Cats out of a game.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I know Tommy is trying to keep his PG’s confidence high but from a team-cohesiveness standpoint and wanting to win as many games as possible, he cannot be serious.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
prh

Post by prh »

I am sure Tommy is having plenty of conversations behind closed doors while keeping the external waters calm
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lute wasn't afraid to call out players post game, and obviously Miller did too.

Obviously Mr. Nice Guy is working out well this season, but it's not like Kriisa didn't know he sucked.

Never did like the "shoot yourself out of a slump" mentality that some players have.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:45 am
RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:01 pm Not to start an shit storm with the last remaining Miller die hards, but it's Incredible how Archie's and Mack's systems and play styles, which were essentially the same as Sean's, looked so archaic and outdated (and with much less talent).

Right after this post we played a game in which Miller's play style would have given us a better chance to win than Lloyd's. Fewer possessions and fewer to's help you stay close when your stars are shooting poorly where higher tempo and to's exacerbate the impact of cold shooting.

Not that I'm slamming Lloyd, the reality is every style leaves something on the table. Miller's makes it harder to separate but keeps you closer on bad nights. Lloyd's makes it easier to separate but harder to keep close on off nights.

There was a great post the other day on metrics of NC teams, and teams that won nattys had an average pace rank of #130 nationally. Of course I like it because it supports me, but I do heavily believe style is overrated. You see Tony Bennett winning a natty with a Miller like style fairly soon after Roy Williams won one with a much higher tempo style.

One other point, a lot of people here sort of act like recruiting is separate from coaching. Recruiting is non-optional if you hope to win big. Name me an NC team without a few future pros.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I still don't understand how fans and outside people celebrate style of play as if its some kind of moral virtue. There are a million different systems and styles that are effective and win natty's. That being said, in regards to last night's game, I hate to say I told you so.

Lloyd needs to scavenge the transfer market for PG talent for next year. Miller was on the right track last season when our third string PG was Terrell Brown, who was is leading the Pac in scoring. You need quality depth in games when you're playing teams with equal talent level and your main guy is having an off night.

If you have two other options that can fill in on any given night, it would be impossible to get rattled the way that we did. Also, UCLA is good, but not that good. We missed far too many chippies and played a step slow the entire game. Lloyd's schemes and adjustments didn't help either.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RawleArenas wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:06 am

Couldn't have said it better myself. I still don't understand how fans and outside people celebrate style of play as if its some kind of moral virtue. There are a million different systems and styles that are effective and win natty's. That being said, in regards to last night's game, I hate to say I told you so.

Lloyd needs to scavenge the transfer market for PG talent for next year. Miller was on the right track last season when our third string PG was Terrell Brown, who was is leading the Pac in scoring. You need quality depth in games when you're playing teams with equal talent level and your main guy is having an off night.

If you have two other options that can fill in on any given night, it would be impossible to get rattled the way that we did. Also, UCLA is good, but not that good. We missed far too many chippies and played a step slow the entire game. Lloyd's schemes and adjustments didn't help either.
Last night was a bad confluence of some things. We rely a lot on Benn, Kerr and Tubelis to put pressure on the D. Benn and Kerr shot terribly and Tubelis was limited.

I'd always liked the idea of Akinjo and Kerr together because Akinjo could get to the rim and create things in a way Kerr really doesn't. I like Kerr and he has definite strengths, but his offensive game is heavily dependent on the 3 ball and an 0-9 game like last night obviously really sets back his effectiveness.

That's why I say Lloyd's long term here has so much to do with recruiting. We have legit talent on this team and you see how it turns into a decisive loss on an off night. If you want to compete with the big dogs, talent isn't a guarantee, it's a prerequisite.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I wish we would have brought Bal along more aggressively. Kier is a nice piece but isn’t really a PG. when Krissa has struggled, we haven’t really had a great option behind him.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RawleArenas wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:06 am

Assuming we get the minimum punishment from the NCAA/IARP process (no post season ban but a loss of 2 scholarships which seems to be what the other teams caught up in the FBI mess are getting) we are one scholarship over for next year assuming Mathurin leaves. At the moment we don't have the scholies to be looking for any new players for 2023.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I mean Koloko was missing some really easy layups too
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Lute also let his teams play themselves into a hole to make a point.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

A couple of Mathurin comments that surprised me about our game prep. I get we had one day and they had an extra day plus we were on the backend of a three game road trip but we looked like we never watched any film

Mathurin on what made UCLA so effective on offense: “They have a pretty good offense to be honest. They play a lot of iso and we were not really prepared for the iso. But we said as a team we just go from there.”

Mathurin on whether Arizona was unprepared: “They had a pretty good plan against us. We needed to prepare a little bit better. That’s the first game but we’ll play them in a week. We’ll adjust.”

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/platform/ ... ins-pac-12
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:48 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:16 pm Didn’t reign in his point guard, didn’t call enough timeouts, took too long to try to adjust.
I think even Lute would have given Kriisa the hook after Kriisa kept chucking up 3s without even trying to run a play. Not just Nico, but reminded me of Jason Gardner shooting the Cats out of a game.

Maybe we should call him Tommy Gun.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

its the right thing to say but Kriisa's problems were much more than just his shot - he was physically outplayed and operated weak and careless with the ball. on defense Campbell abused him which is almost hard to type...he was tired mentally and physically and had almost no legs so im gonna give him a mulligan on this one, just like his coach.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:34 am I wish we would have brought Bal along more aggressively. Kier is a nice piece but isn’t really a PG. when Krissa has struggled, we haven’t really had a great option behind him.
Bal is just young and a ways away.

I think Lloyd did the right thing by being positive about Kerr in the media. Good coaches are only negative with a player in the media to send a message to the player when they need it delivered that way.

There's also a difference between negativity and just directness. I wouldn't have faulted Lloyd for saying Kerr missed a lot of shots. He did, everyone knows it. In a broader sense, Kerr, Mathurin and Terry shot a combined 5-39. You can't win like that and everyone knows it.

But unless a player NEEDS an ego check, I think Lloyd took the right tack. You build players up when they struggle so they don't lose confidence. You only call them out when they need a public message delivered to them.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:38 am
azcat49 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:34 am I wish we would have brought Bal along more aggressively. Kier is a nice piece but isn’t really a PG. when Krissa has struggled, we haven’t really had a great option behind him.

I think Lloyd did the right thing by being positive about Kerr in the media. Good coaches are only negative with a player in the media to send a message to the player when they need it delivered that way.

There's also a difference between negativity and just directness. I wouldn't have faulted Lloyd for saying Kerr missed a lot of shots. He did, everyone knows it. In a broader sense, Kerr, Mathurin and Terry shot a combined 5-39. You can't win like that and everyone knows it.

But unless a player NEEDS an ego check, I think Lloyd took the right tack. You build players up when they struggle so they don't lose confidence. You only call them out when they need a public message delivered to them.
Yup, praise in public and admonish/reprimand in private.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:38 am

Yup, praise in public and admonish/reprimand in private.
100%. The only time a coach should admonish in public is when private admonishment isn't getting the job done. There's a time for it, but it isn't after a single off game by any means.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Glad to see this site doesn't overreact. We had a bad game. Kerr was terrible but what did us in was defense. UCLA has four scorers on the floor that can iso at any time. They were also more physical. Tell me Tommy would be 14-2 half way thru the season and tied for first in the PAC I would say sign me up. Guys bad games do happen and we were playing a top ten team. Ill. after their win over Mich St. without Cockburn is tops in there league. We play UCLA in another week or so and we will see if we have learned anything. Kerr is always going to be picked on in ISO and quite frankly Terry is not a scorer. Have some perspective and if you think the job looked to big for him what did you think the other 14 games.

Just a reminder Kerr had 2 points at half against Ill. and basically provided the punch we needed to get over the top in the second half. Oh and one last thing. Kerr missed 5 less shots than Benn. Not a good game for us.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We're 16-2. I'm good.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:24 pm We're 16-2. I'm good.
I hear you, azgreg. This is WAY beyond what most expected. It just irks that the two losses came in arguably our two hardest games. Maybe Illinois was harder. Not sure.

Also, I think some of us were bothered by the WAY we lost yesterday. We're now past the midway point of the season, and to come up that flat, in such a big game, it's troubling.

On the other hand, we played on two days' rest and Tubelis is clearly not 100% (not even close), so yesterday shouldn't be overblown.

I'm happy to suspend my concern till after next Thursday. If we get payback at McKale, it's all good. If we don't, our seed situation starts changing.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m starting to get “hot MLB rookie” vibes here.

Like how halfway through the baseball season hot rookies get figured out and come back to earth. Then it’s all about the adjustments they make to counter the adjustments made against what made them successful.

Can Tommy counter how other teams have taken away what made us successful to this point? I guess we are about to find out.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Perfect analogy Chi. Not sure I have been impressed yet with any of the adjustments he has made all year. We just run our stuff it seems and if we make a few, we look good.

UCLA took away certain things and our answer was just get it inside. At least today ge tried some different combinations. Hoping he comes up big next week with his game plan
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I never for once, even when we were crushing teams, assumed we wouldn’t face a lull.

Let’s see how Tommy, his coaching staff, and this team collectively responds.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He can really send a message Thursday’s we adjust and win against the Bruins. Today seemed more of the same but it might be because we looked tired like we did again at UCLA. Let them rest and tweek a few things
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Team seems out of sync.
There was a play in 2nd where someone drove the lane (Pelle) and then threw up a lob to one of the Bigs. The pass was behind and they couldn’t convert.
They were making those plays 2 weeks ago.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Yeah those lobs really stood out to me. They had been making all of those and making them look so easy. The last 2 games those easy plays were all over the place… and even the ones we converted looked more difficult than in the past

Little things are just off…. Including Kerry’s shooting. I know he was completely off but even the shots that looked perfect found a way to bounce out

I’m hopeful that Tommy is right and that what this team really needs right now is a little rest
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not just the lobs for dunks, but several entry passes went too far under the basket where the big didn't have enough room to put it up.

Entry passes are going to get harder too, as teams pack the paint making the guards beat them on perimeter shooting.

In what world does the tallest team in the NCAA need to shoot 23 3-point shots? Every team will give that to the UA every day.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:02 am
In what world does the tallest team in the NCAA need to shoot 23 3-point shots? Every team will give that to the UA every day.
In the world where that tall team has at least one lights out 3-point shooter, which we don’t.

So you’re right, Merk. We’re holding ourselves back by not taking advantage of our size. I do think Tubelis’ injury has been a factor. When he and CK are at 100%, as they were vs. Illinois, not even the nation’s best big man can slow us down.

Would like to see CK and OB play more minutes together on Thursday. We are bigger than ucla!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat and I have a little wager going on CTL being named National Coach of the Year

I really think Tommy and the Cats need to go 2-0 this week to have a realistic shot of that happening

Go Cats!