Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RondaeShimmy

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine Sean Miller would never make that list.

Seems after one of this TOs, the team was so tense they created a turnover.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Except when Gordon was here, then it was just throw it towards the rim and he dunks it.

Man that was a great team!!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Miller had some killer in-bounds plays - loved to send the oop out of the in bound.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm sort of low-key hoping that Lloyd is so effing successful for us that he becomes the first person anyone thinks of when the question arises: can a long-term assistant actually move into a HC role at an elite program and meet expectations?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:47 am I'm sort of low-key hoping that Lloyd is so effing successful for us that he becomes the first person anyone thinks of when the question arises: can a long-term assistant actually move into a HC role at an elite program and meet expectations?
Hubert Davis got his team to the championship game so right now he's probably the guy people think about in that context.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:51 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:47 am I'm sort of low-key hoping that Lloyd is so effing successful for us that he becomes the first person anyone thinks of when the question arises: can a long-term assistant actually move into a HC role at an elite program and meet expectations?
Hubert Davis got his team to the championship game so right now he's probably the guy people think about in that context.
True, but Tommy was an assistant for twice as long at Gonzaga. It seems like the suspicion directed at assistants is deeper, the longer they've been in that role.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Scheyer hasn’t even coached a game and he makes the list. So Duke like
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not sure how he can be rising when he peaked last season. Cats won't go near as far this season.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:00 pm Not sure how he can be rising when he peaked last season. Cats won't go near as far this season.
"peaked" - ROTFLMAO!!!

Even if this proved to be true 5-to-10 years from now, you have absolutely NO EVIDENCE to support this today!!!

Almost every coach whose team is ranked #2 at end of a season, and a #1 NCAA seed, "won't go near as far" in the next season!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Why isn't Sean Miller on that list.

That's the real issue with the list.
X already has "Drip" t shirts made for him.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:00 pm Not sure how he can be rising when he peaked last season. Cats won't go near as far this season.
I'm inclined to agree, but no one -- and I mean NO one -- had as being a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney last season + Pac champs.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:32 pm Scheyer hasn’t even coached a game and he makes the list. So Duke like
I heard that Puke is recruiting really well.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Press Conference - Tommy Lloyd
post Southern

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyoLNSCFZuE
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

HiCat wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:25 am Press Conference - Tommy Lloyd
post Southern

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyoLNSCFZuE
Love our coach
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

He seems to have a unique perspective on games won or lost. Does not seem to be bothered by a loss as most but views it as a learning experience. It will be interesting if any of that changes as pressures increase. Like his approach and I think most players will too.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think fans always take losses harder than coaches do which is ironic as it’s their neck’s on the line.

We just keep coming back to the trough for more and say “feed me now dammit!”
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Funny going back to the original posts in this thread and how now so many, including myself, were not pleased hiring a man with no P5 or even any head coaching experience.

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Could be wrong but I would suppose that everyone that made any less-than-complimentary comments about the hire has by now sent sincere apologies to Dave Heeke and Dr. Robbins.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

KaibabKat wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:33 pm Could be wrong but I would suppose that everyone that made any less-than-complimentary comments about the hire has by now sent sincere apologies to Dave Heeke and Dr. Robbins.
You are wrong.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

F Heeke and Robbins.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

TheCat wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:52 pm F Heeke and Robbins.
For hiring Sumlin and the self-imposed post-season ban under Miller? Good hires otherwise.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Not going to give those assholes any credit.

All the props go out to Sean Miller for working his ass off for this program even as Heeke and Robbins sabotaged him, and to Lloyd for understanding that he was handed the keys to a Ferrari and he had to drive it like an expert and not crash it. We’ve been blessed with some amazing coaches.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Watching the growth of our players and the style of play that we employ, I don't understand how we lose any recruiting battles. We put 3 guys in the NBA last year and we are still a top 10 team this year
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Coaches have different strengths. Miller was a beast on the recruiting trail and learned lessons with each class. His final class was a complete home run - - Kriisa, Tubelis, Mathurin, Terry and Batcho (who is killing it at Texas Tech, people are saying he can guard 1-5 at 7 feet). Was a good developer (contrary to popular belief) but Lloyd is better. He 's likely one of the best in the country.

CTL doesn't have to be good at everything, but we need some good ol' athletic American talent to shore up our defense and raise our ceiling. He may need to bring in somebody to help him or change his strategies. At the end of the day, players may like his style but they have to connect with him as well.

Funny thing, Ballo was in the doghouse at Gonzaga and nobody really wanted him, he was considering transferring to Cal Baptist. Lloyd took a flyer on him and look at the results. Consensus from everyone is that if he keeps up this pace he'll be an All American this year.

If Lloyd can't get the guys we need, then he needs to create some opportunities on the portal and find guys that other people have missed. We all know its just a matter of them getting on campus and allowing the staff to work with them. The results speak for themselves.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

This is completely insane. Small sample size for sure but an effective FG % that is 17% better than number 2? 😱

[tweet][/tweet]https://twitter.com/samgoaley/status/15 ... tFqGg7fThw
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RaisingArizona wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:57 pm This is completely insane. Small sample size for sure but an effective FG % that is 17% better than number 2? 😱

[tweet][/tweet]https://twitter.com/samgoaley/status/15 ... tFqGg7fThw
Link fixed, and you are right, that's nuts!
arizonawildcats

RawleArenas wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:28 pm Coaches have different strengths. Miller was a beast on the recruiting trail and learned lessons with each class. His final class was a complete home run - - Kriisa, Tubelis, Mathurin, Terry and Batcho (who is killing it at Texas Tech, people are saying he can guard 1-5 at 7 feet). Was a good developer (contrary to popular belief) but Lloyd is better. He 's likely one of the best in the country.

CTL doesn't have to be good at everything, but we need some good ol' athletic American talent to shore up our defense and raise our ceiling. He may need to bring in somebody to help him or change his strategies. At the end of the day, players may like his style but they have to connect with him as well.

Funny thing, Ballo was in the doghouse at Gonzaga and nobody really wanted him, he was considering transferring to Cal Baptist. Lloyd took a flyer on him and look at the results. Consensus from everyone is that if he keeps up this pace he'll be an All American this year.

If Lloyd can't get the guys we need, then he needs to create some opportunities on the portal and find guys that other people have missed. We all know its just a matter of them getting on campus and allowing the staff to work with them. The results speak for themselves.
Nothing against Miller as a recruiter. He was in on Ballo and lost him to Gonzaga. Ballo was recruited over with Timme and Holmgren and came to Arizona with Tommy. Glad we ended up with Ballo and Tommy.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am really starting to get on the Tommy Lloyd bandwagon fully. Lute Olson was a great player developer. Tommy Lloyd may be on another level. For the first time I've heard "blue blood" talk of Arizona, and believe it is deserved. The entire program seems to be well oiled now. All we need is to get to a final four, and especially NCAA championship, and we will rise. Overall Arizona has been good since the mid 80s. That is over 35 years ago. Most people alive won't remember when Arizona was bad. Lloyd can really get on his players and I love it. And he is all class in front of the microphone.

If CTL is treated the right way I believe he will stay at Arizona. And I also believe he will build the UA brand of basketball to a higher level. Arizona struck lightning twice.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Apropos your last remark, my sense of Tommy is that he's self-contained and humble such that the only temptation to leave would be a return to Spokane. But he's also his own man and wants to make his own dent in the universe. I think we have him for the duration.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Then there's the money too....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:47 am Apropos your last remark, my sense of Tommy is that he's self-contained and humble such that the only temptation to leave would be a return to Spokane. But he's also his own man and wants to make his own dent in the universe. I think we have him for the duration.
I haven't heard one way or the other from Tommy about that, but I recall Few is an avid fly fisherman so leaving Spokane would be harder for him.

But now having spent a nice warm sunny winter and then some in Tucson, those long brutal Spokane winters are probably just a memory he would like to forget. Besides being in the middle of frickin' nowhere without a large urban environment nearby.
arizonawildcats

I got the impression that Tommy took this job because he considered Arizona a blue blood. We've got arguably the best combination of players and coaches in the NBA right now.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If Few retired in three years, and Gonzaga offered to make Tommy the highest paid coach in the sport, anyone think he's turning that down?

Arizona is Arizona, and that's well understood. But we're talking about the guy's dream job.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:14 pm If Few retired in three years, and Gonzaga offered to make Tommy the highest paid coach in the sport, anyone think he's turning that down?

Arizona is Arizona, and that's well understood. But we're talking about the guy's dream job.
First of all Gonzaga does not have that kind of money to throw around. Second, if CTL takes us to a FF or even a championship in 3 years, which is possible, we become the dream job.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:47 am Apropos your last remark, my sense of Tommy is that he's self-contained and humble such that the only temptation to leave would be a return to Spokane. But he's also his own man and wants to make his own dent in the universe. I think we have him for the duration.
Maybe….not saying AZ fans are the same but look how quick Kentucky fans turned on Calipari after giving him lifetime contract. Most coaches are 1 or 2 years away from same treatment if they lose big in post season.
Lloyd was not received well by a lot of AZ fans,donors,and former players which tells me they would turn on a dime if times turned tough.
Tommy’s built expectations high and we all know winning a natty takes talent and a little luck…..stay healthy and hopefully ball bounces your way and you don’t get jobbed by refs.
Good Luck Wildcats!
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ZagCatFan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:33 am
Maybe….not saying AZ fans are the same but look how quick Kentucky fans turned on Calipari after giving him lifetime contract. Most coaches are 1 or 2 years away from same treatment if they lose big in post season.
Lloyd was not received well by a lot of AZ fans,donors,and former players which tells me they would turn on a dime if times turned tough.
Tommy’s built expectations high and we all know winning a natty takes talent and a little luck…..stay healthy and hopefully ball bounces your way and you don’t get jobbed by refs.
Good Luck Wildcats!
I don't agree that Tommy was not received well, I think a lot of people (and rightfully so) had a problem with the way the AD and Robbins handled the whole Miller situation and felt they gave him a big fuck you.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:11 am
ZagCatFan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:33 am
Good Luck Wildcats!
I don't agree that Tommy was not received well, I think a lot of people (and rightfully so) had a problem with the way the AD and Robbins handled the whole Miller situation and felt they gave him a big fuck you.
I do recall these alums saying

Former Wildcat star Richard Jefferson called the search a debacle, while Gilbert Arenas said Lloyd was unqualified.

I’m guessing a lot more were quietly agreeing as an assistant from West Coast Conference was given the keys to P5 program.

I don’t blame them a guy that attended Walla Walla community college is the first choice to lead Arizona basketball.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:25 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:14 pm If Few retired in three years, and Gonzaga offered to make Tommy the highest paid coach in the sport, anyone think he's turning that down?

First of all Gonzaga does not have that kind of money to throw around. Second, if CTL takes us to a FF or even a championship in 3 years, which is possible, we become the dream job.
Third, what kind of in season weather does Tommy's wife prefer?

I like Spokane quite a bit as small cities go but those winters are no joke.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

For all of his success at Gonzaga, Mark Few ranks very low among the highest paid college hoops coaches. So those making the point about Gonzaga not being able to pay for someone like Lloyd may be onto something. Gonzaga just doesn't have the kind of purchasing power as a strong Pac program.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

RaisingArizona wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:53 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:25 pm

Third, what kind of in season weather does Tommy's wife prefer?

I like Spokane quite a bit as small cities go but those winters are no joke.
The one factor Tucson will never overcome is the fact that Tommy’s extended family lives in eastern Washington.

I still believe Tommy will only leave Arizona when Arizona terminates him. Tommy is loyal and believes he was given a great opportunity and won’t jump ship because of that loyalty.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The fans were angry at Robbins and Heeke, the school president and has AD puppet. Fans still like Sean Miller and didn't want to see him go. Then, we had coaches lined up for interviewing and it didn't matter. Robbins was going to hire Tommy Lloyd. It happend with our football coach before CTL was hired. The fans did not want Jedd Fisch because their were other experienced coaches available. Fisch handn't coaced a single game. But what Robbins wants he gets.

This turned out okay in both circumstances. The aggression against Lloyd was causes because fans (and donors) didn't have a say in the selection process. It turned out Robbins gamble paid off. But many of us are still upset about the way he treated Sean Miller. They implied he was a bad coach because of not making the tourney for a few years. One year was because of Covid and the next year was a self imposed ban from the NCAA tourney. Sean Miller was treated very unfairly.

I will say CTL is loved now. He is the best developer of players I've witnessed. And he is a good X/O coach. His brand of basketball is beautiful to watch. It's based on Lute Olson and Roy Williams style of ball. The basketball program is now set up beautifully from top to bottom. Arizona has been a high level program before, but what CTL has done in the last couple of years is amazing. He coaches basketball the way it is meant to be played.

I want to thank Gonzaga and Mark Few for allowing Tommy Lloyd to come to Arizona.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ZagCatFan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:31 am

Former Wildcat star Richard Jefferson called the search a debacle, while Gilbert Arenas said Lloyd was unqualified.

I’m guessing a lot more were quietly agreeing as an assistant from West Coast Conference was given the keys to P5 program.

I don’t blame them a guy that attended Walla Walla community college is the first choice to lead Arizona basketball.
Richard Jefferson is correct, the search was a debacle in the sense that they had already chose their guy but were interviewing alums for optics. And Gilbert talking should always be taken with a huge grain of salt, dude is crazy. You are also quoting guys who definitely had a bias towards particular teammates and former players they are close with.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:34 am
ZagCatFan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:31 am

Richard Jefferson is correct, the search was a debacle in the sense that they had already chose their guy but were interviewing alums for optics. And Gilbert talking should always be taken with a huge grain of salt, dude is crazy. You are also quoting guys who definitely had a bias towards particular teammates and former players they are close with.
I hear ya and don’t disagree but when you heard the name Tommy Lloyd for the first time in reference to Arizona job what was your reaction?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I preferred Musselman of the names being thrown out but knew that was not happening, and I felt at the very least with Lloyd we could have some fun basketball to watch. I did have worry that he had the potential to flop like Mike Hopkins.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I agree with ZagCatFan. A whole lot of people here, myself included, were very skeptical of the hire, to say the least. So it is correct, Lloyd was not very well received. Even during last year, there was still skepticism about his recruiting and whether he would be able to put the pieces together that would really mesh. So far, I am impressed, but the real test will be in years 3,4, and beyond. He still seems to miss a lot on recruiting.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Player development and gameday execution have been top notch. Now he just needs his US recruiting to match his overseas recruiting and we might just have a second Lute on our hands.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:17 pm Player development and gameday execution have been top notch. Now he just needs his US recruiting to match his overseas recruiting and we might just have a second Lute on our hands.
I'm still a little perplexed about the Cody Williams recruitment. That one felt like a slam dunk, and he ended up at...Colorado?? Makes zero sense to me. Unless NIL deals are impacting recruiting in ways we can't fully observe.

But yeah, we need the domestic recruiting to pick back up. It's pretty mind-blowing that Tommy's done as well as he has with so many international players. Don't wanna forget Boswell, who was a high-level US recruit, and I expect he'll be in Tucson for a few years.