Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Merkin »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:17 pm Player development and gameday execution have been top notch. Now he just needs his US recruiting to match his overseas recruiting and we might just have a second Lute on our hands.
I'd settle for locking up state of Arizona recruits at this point.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Lloyd's team building and player development have been off the charts. I would like to know how many player's he has recruited and backed off of because of the fit.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

NIL has changed the game especially among the 5 star athletes imo. Zags believed right up to the end Anthony Black was in the bag for Bulldogs and bam Arkansas. scouting services had him going to GU. The guess was NIL money was too big to turn down.
Every time I’ve heard a player was coming to GU it’s been solid insider great info and been correct and this time WRONG.
Plus Arkansas already had Smith committed and he’s even higher ranked Freshman PG than Black.

AZ losing out to Buffs doesn’t add up unless kid had family ties to Colorado.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ZagCatFan wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:11 pm
AZ losing out to Buffs doesn’t add up unless kid had family ties to Colorado.
Yeah. And I get that some kids just "click" with a particular coach, and maybe that happened with Boyle. But choosing Colorado over AZ is like a valedictorian choosing ASU over Stanford.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Sure NIL has changed the landscape of recruiting but I’d argue the change to the transfer rules will continue to have an even greater impact on recruiting and roster configuration.

Lloyd may miss on some big time HS recruits but his system will always be attractive. it’s Early but Ramey and Henderson look like great gets. If success continues to follow Lloyd and Arizona, he will end up getting his pick of the transfer portal.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Frybry02 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:56 pm Sure NIL has changed the landscape of recruiting but I’d argue the change to the transfer rules will continue to have an even greater impact on recruiting and roster configuration.

Lloyd may miss on some big time HS recruits but his system will always be attractive. it’s Early but Ramey and Henderson look like great gets. If success continues to follow Lloyd and Arizona, he will end up getting his pick of the transfer portal.
This is an excellent point about transfers, Fry.

Ballo, Larsson, Kier, Ramey and Henderson. Transfers are having a huge impact on our program right now, and it's easy to imagine this continuing. The better Ramey/Henderson do this year (and the team more generally), the more attractive we look to guys looking to upgrade to a better program next summer.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Pretty soon recruits are going to be calling us. I am surprised it hasn't already started.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

My 9 yo already wants to play for Tommy!

Thing is, he'll be 5'10, 135 when he's 18 if he's lucky, I was a swimmer, so I'm not the best coach, but hey, you never know!!!

I'm sure he'll call in 7 years if he's good. Or if he's not.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Dave

Post by Dave »

That’s awesome! You never know.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

What Tommy Lloyd said after Arizona’s win over Cal

On bouncing back from the Utah loss: “We just didn’t step up to the plate (against Utah). “To get back out there today was good. And I knew it wasn’t going to be a game where it felt good, it felt comfortable. I’ve known Coach (Mark) Fox for a long time. He’s a good coach and his team is struggling, I knew they were gonna come in here and fight. I know fans and people are gonna see the record, and maybe our players too, and think it’s gonna come easy. It’s not how it goes and it’s not how you want it to go. I knew it was gonna be a grindy game, and I was on the guys pretty hard the last couple days, and anytime a coach guy kinda turns the heat up, you get some response but you also get some guys that are a little bit tentative, and they got to work themselves through it, and we did today. So all in all, I’m happy with the way it turned out.”
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... ments-2022
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona Basketball drops to No. 10 in updated AP Poll
by Eric Townsend 2 hours ago

After climbing to No. 4 last week, Arizona Basketball (7-1, 1-1) had a bit of humble pie this week, dropping to No. 10 in the latest AP Poll. 

The 2022-23 Arizona Basketball season is steadily rolling along, and one week after their dominant showing in Maui, the Wildcats came crashing back down to reality.

Having a bit of an up-and-down week as they began Pac-12 play, the Wildcats were humbled when they took to the hardwood in Salt Lake City last Thursday.

Taking on a capable Utah team, the Utes crushed the Wildcats, winning convincingly by an 81-66 final.

Luckily, the Wildcats did salvage their week, splitting the Pac-12 action as they earned a comfortable, but not necessarily pretty win against winless Cal on Sunday afternoon.

And after an up-and-down week, Arizona made news on Monday afternoon as in the latest AP Poll, the Wildcats fell to No. 10.

https://zonazealots.com/2022/12/05/ariz ... d-ap-poll/
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Like Lute used to say, split the away games, and win the home games.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

4-star guard Jamari Phillips, 5-star forward Carter Bryant to take official visits to Arizona for Tennessee game
By Ezra Amacher Dec 6, 2022, 5:42pm PST

Arizona men’s basketball will have two big visitors on hand when it hosts Tennessee in two weeks.

Four-star class of 2024 shooting guard Jamari Phillips will take an official visit to Arizona on the weekend of Dec. 17th, he told On3.

Phillips’ EYBL teammate Carter Bryant, a five-star small forward in the 2024 class, will also be visiting.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruitin ... class-2024

Carter Bryant
https://247sports.com/player/carter-bryant-46117580/

Jamari Phillips
https://247sports.com/player/jamari-phillips-46117604/
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Last year I would have told you he was enjoying the benefit of Sean Miller’s relentless recruiting and player development.

Today I have to admit this is Tommy’s team. He may not have recruited all these kids, but he has definitely molded them.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I don't know, or care, what others think (I will listen), but this season's team is one of my favorite of all time. Right now it has incredible potential. There is room for a ton of growth. The biggest thing that stands out about Tommy Lloyd is how he develops talent. It's the #1 talent Where Tommy Lloyd really stands out. Dalen Terry is a perfect example. I can't blame him for declaring for the NBA, but I wonder if he wished he had come back and develop more. Kriisa is maturing before our eyes (and still shows he has work to do). Ballo is the poster player of what development can do.

I said this before. Arizona has the best coaching staff in the country. Jack Murphy, Steve Robinson, And Riccardo Fois. All skilled in their own ways. From what

Marphy coached for 7 years, show he can really recriut (for a branded program), and spent time as a scout in the NBA. He understands what NBA teams are looking for. He helped develop Mathurin, Terry, and Koloko into draft picks. Think of Ballo, Kriisa, Boswell this year.

Steve Robinson is another outstanding recruiter. He has been with Roy Williams since Roy started coaching for UNC. And he is really good with in-game strategy. I can see a Roy Williams stamp all over the current Wildcats team. Roy Williams and Lute Olson played very similar types of basketball. Perfect fit for Arizona.

Ricacardo Fois knows European basketball And he also knows how to develop talent. He played professionally in Europe and has a history in Italy. He also worked with the Phoenix Suns. I think he is a great second assistant to this staff.

Tommy Lloyd may be better than a great coach. He knows how to put a program together. He is special. I want to see the oother top teams. I need to compare their players and coaching. I see so much potential, still, in the Wildcats. When the Cats are hitting on all cylinders I want to see who has the game to compete. Right now I want to watch Purdue and Houston some.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

ESPN college basketball fantasy draft. Tommy, Zu, and Ballo taken.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -zach-edey
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Endearing, engaging Tommy Lloyd is the Star's top sports figure of 2022

Tommy Lloyd was enjoying lunch on the outdoor patio at a midtown restaurant last spring when a man walked by with his 4-year-old son. Lloyd noticed the boy was wearing an Arizona T-shirt.

Arizona’s men’s basketball coach stood, shook hands with the little boy’s father and was told the boy is named Lute.

https://tucson.com/sports/subscriber/gr ... ign=sports
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azgreg wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:14 pm
Word.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am replaying some of the games we played this year. I can see the progression the players have made after Maui. I am enjoying college basketball better this year in a long time. I love the player development the best. It is the reason college basketball is my favorite sport. That was missing with Sean Miller. Some of his players developed, but not near the rate I'm seeing now under Tommy Lloyd. He just put 3 players into the pros last season. And look what he has done this year. I just read only one player (Kylan Boswell) was a top 50 pick.

I like the chemistry of this team. Players are getting better, especially on the bench. This team oozes with potential. Rewatching Maui now is showing the improvement of Veesaar and Boswell. If their development keeps increasing at the same rate they will be valuable come March. Boswell is 17 right now and the speed he plays the game is fantastic. It is a matter of how much he needs to become more confident. I want him in our 8 man rotation. I believe right now he could take over PG if needed.

-----------------------------------

I don't know what to make of Bal. I feel he has regressed. I love the speed he plays but he can't make the 3 now for some reason. I don't see improvement. He seems to be in a funk. I am cheering for every shot as it clanks. I feel if he can get on track he can be very valuable to the team. He is able to handle the ball and make good plays at times. I see potential in him but he doesn't seem to be in the right frame of mind to capitalize on it. If Bal can hit 3 threes in a row it might set him off. He has the potential to make a difference in March. I am willing to give him time when it is avalaible, because we can see what he can do. We need to depend on him. I say give him more time to develop.

----------------------------

I can't see games live because of my job. But I enjoy watching them when I get home. I am enjoying college basketball the most this season than I have in a long time. Arizona plays entertaining basketball. Tommy Lloyd knows the game. The ability to develop players makes Arizona a desirable destination. Arizona doesn't need selfish players, they need players who have the potential to play elite basketball, and the willingness to learn how to play it.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Catintheheat wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:27 pm I love the player development the best. It is the reason college basketball is my favorite sport. That was missing with Sean Miller. Some of his players developed, but not near the rate I'm seeing now under Tommy Lloyd.
I will never understand people’s desire to do this. Miller got 13 guys drafted into the pros in 11 years, 6 guys who played under him for 2+ years got drafted, he recruited and coached the 3 guys you mentioned, and also put a guy like TJ McConnell in the position not just to make it to the NBA but have a substantial career.

I’m happy you like Tommy Lloyd. I like him too. You don’t have to shit on Sean Miller to tell us how much you like Tommy Lloyd. Because then guys like me come along and get all bent out of shape about it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:51 pm
Catintheheat wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:27 pm I love the player development the best. It is the reason college basketball is my favorite sport. That was missing with Sean Miller. Some of his players developed, but not near the rate I'm seeing now under Tommy Lloyd.
I will never understand people’s desire to do this. Miller got 13 guys drafted into the pros in 11 years, 6 guys who played under him for 2+ years got drafted, he recruited and coached the 3 guys you mentioned, and also put a guy like TJ McConnell in the position not just to make it to the NBA but have a substantial career.

I’m happy you like Tommy Lloyd. I like him too. You don’t have to shit on Sean Miller to tell us how much you like Tommy Lloyd. Because then guys like me come along and get all bent out of shape about it.
Miller's player development is undeniable. It's not his fault that Nico and Jerrett and others left much too early.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:26 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:51 pm

Miller's player development is undeniable. It's not his fault that Nico and Jerrett and others left much too early.
100%

And for a guy like Dalen Terry, you have to admit it was his development on the defensive end under Miller that initially caught scouts’ eyes, and that had he spent another year under Lloyd his development on the offensive end would have made him a top-10 pick looking at a nice long NBA career.

Both Miller and Lloyd are great coaches. It’s not one or the other. And in many ways guys like Koloko, Mathurin, Tubelis, and Kriisa benefitted greatly from having both coach them.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The stories about Phillips' recruitment give some clue as to why CTL isn't just ripping a bunch of 5 stars. It doesn't have anything to do with personality, or desire, or salesmanship. As some alluded to last year, he doesn't offer a bunch of kids for the same position with stories of how they will all succeed...he and his staff analyze fit maybe a little more than other staffs, to the annoyance, at times, of the recruit and their support system (Phillips' dad commented that it had them turned off for a while, that an offer was so delayed, but of course, now that it was made, he is thrilled CTL is so deliberate and thoughtful). It's more of a curated class based on fit, need, and any other intangibles they are looking for. So maybe some 5 stars are upset that we weren't quick to the punch, seemed "disinterested" (read: didn't slobber all over them from day one in 8th grade AAU), but from all accounts, once our staff decides a player is our guy, we are relentless in our recruiting efforts. And I can see CTL being excellent in the closing of a recruit.

One thing I have heard about Lloyd is he still hasn't settled into being the head coach...he still does a lot of the duties that he performed as a lead assistant. Control, familiarity with that part of the process...I am sure it is a security blanket to do advance scouting and those types of duties. I imagine that bleeds over into recruiting, as well. But dude will burn out if he doesn't find some balance...and I am sure he will. But from what I am hearing, he is really both a lead assistant and head coach...and clearly the head coach. This isn't a situation where he is leading like an assistant...he is clearly the top dog, and is respected as such. Just likes to keep his sleeves rolled up, and maybe needs to trust his assistants a bit more, though it doesn't sound like a trust issue for him as much as it is a habit.
arizonawildcats

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

You will never guess who Texas has its sights on as a potential replacement coach? That is right ole Tommy. Before everyone says he would not go.....imagine you could double your salary it a flash. https://www.yahoo.com/sports/texas-bask ... 05336.html
Dave

Post by Dave »

Double?
Beard was at $5M a year.

Here's what UA will pay him each season: 2022-23: $3.6 million ($2.9 million base + $700,000 additional duties). 2023-24: $3.7 million ($3.0 million base + $700,000 additional duties). 2024-25: $3.8 million ($3.1 million base + $700,000 additional duties).
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Texas could afford to pay Lloyd 10m a year and not even notice that it changed from 5m
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

While anything can happen I just don’t see Lloyd chasing dollars. He seems like the type of guy that really values quality of life. 3m in Tucson goes a long way. I think he also has a home in San Diego.

With the loss of the LA schools he will win 30 games a year and get all the recruits he wants. Just don’t see him being their guy
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

If, for the sake of argument, he does decide to take the Texas job (or maybe a blue blood that comes open like Indiana if they collapse down the stretch here), Arizona immediately becomes the best open job in America. We’d have coaches knocking over their grandmothers to get in line to be considered for the position.

Lloyd and Miller proved that our program has staying power and will continue to be one where the best players want to succeed. We’ll be fine as long as we hire the right guy.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Objectively speaking, AZ is the better job. If the money is outrageous, maybe he considers it, but I don’t see him leaving for Austin.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Going to a football school when you are king in Tucson has to be taken into consideration.

Like was said several decades ago, there are two basketball coaches that could walk into a restaurant and everyone would stop talking. Bobby Knight and Lute Olson. Although no doubt there were many others, Ratface for one.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

There's no way he's leaving for UT. UT isn't Kansas or UNC or even Gonzaga. UT is an outstanding university and athletic program, but hoops-wise, they are clearly a step down from AZ. It's not only about money. If it were, Few would've left Gonzaga years ago.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

If he’s smart, and the team continues to be one of the top squads this year, Tommy could parlay UT interest into a nice fat raise. Maybe not all the way up to $5M+, but still somewhere on the order of a 25-30% bump.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

If money was his priority, he'd have left Gonzaga a decade ago...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
arizonawildcats

He's a west coast guy. Texas is a different ball of wax.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

arizonawildcats wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:04 pm He's a west coast guy. Texas is a different ball of wax.
And it's also just not an elite job. Sorry, Beard. Sorry, Shaka. Sorry, Barnes. UT hoops has never won shit, and it's not a career "destination" the way that many other jobs would be, were they open.

When Few retires, that's the opening that could impact us, provided Lloyd is still our coach when that happens.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Rhetorical question - Would you rather have $15m guaranteed over 5 years or $60m over 10 for what you do?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Dave wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:01 pm Double?
Beard was at $5M a year.

Here's what UA will pay him each season: 2022-23: $3.6 million ($2.9 million base + $700,000 additional duties). 2023-24: $3.7 million ($3.0 million base + $700,000 additional duties). 2024-25: $3.8 million ($3.1 million base + $700,000 additional duties).
Not sure what his incentives were but a base of $5M (vs. our 2.9) and I bet his 'additional duties" pay was substantial.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

KaibabKat wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:17 pm Rhetorical question - Would you rather have $15m guaranteed over 5 years or $60m over 10 for what you do?
If the $60M is guaranteed I would take the $60M. $60M would set up your kids and probably their kids for a nice life.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Don't get me wrong but UT can offer whatever they want and after the PR nightmare they will pay more to have the aw shucks killer. They could even make a run at Sean but it is a little to early for that.
I don't think CTL is going anywhere but just posted that so everyone was aware he had been mentioned.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:48 pm When Few retires, that's the opening that could impact us, provided Lloyd is still our coach when that happens.
After spending a winter in Tucson, it would be pretty darn hard to live in Spokane again during the school year. Well, at least for me who hates snow and the cold.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Other than just competing with his peers for salary, it mostly becomes an academic exercise. He's already got the great houses, cars, travel, retirement, and any college his kids want. So, it's mostly pass-through to the next generation or two. It's great that there's a safety net, but you also have to be careful not to ruin their lives by throwing money at them too early and taking away their life's meaning and their pride in accomplishments and achievements. Stacking the mountain of gold even higher loses a lot of meaning at that point. Meanwhile, Arizona Basketball > Texas Basketball. That's attendance and the resulting environment, but also history and brand. Then there's Tucson. If you have a summer getaway, and you spend most of your time on the UArizona campus and north of River, it's pretty damned nice. Between family and business, I've spent plenty of time in Texas. It's gross. The best part is the hill country northwest of San Antonio and up to Austin. But it's still muggy as hell and they've got green wet bugs the size of Volkswagens that cover your windshield and grill. SXSW is still just once a year, and the big getaways are Corpus Christi, South Padre Island and the Bolivar Peninsula? Uh...no. That's pickup trucks on mud beaches while you sweat and swat mosquitoes. I'll take coastal SoCal, thank you very much.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:59 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:48 pm When Few retires, that's the opening that could impact us, provided Lloyd is still our coach when that happens.
After spending a winter in Tucson, it would be pretty darn hard to live in Spokane again during the school year. Well, at least for me who hates snow and the cold.
I hear ya, Merk. But Tommy spent 20+ years there, so it's not as though Spokane is some kind of desolate wintry backwoods that would be totally new for him. In fact, I think he likes that area and will probably always feel some attachment to it. It's just something that happens when you live/work somewhere for that long, right?

Still, Tucson has a great deal to offer as well, as many have described in this thread. Each year Tommy stays at UofA, it becomes less likely he'd leave for another college job, even Gonzaga. The curveball would be if Few retires relatively soon, like before Tommy has formed a deeper attachment to Tucson and UofA.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:07 pm Meanwhile, Arizona Basketball > Texas Basketball. That's attendance and the resulting environment, but also history and brand. Then there's Tucson. If you have a summer getaway, and you spend most of your time on the UArizona campus and north of River, it's pretty damned nice. Between family and business, I've spent plenty of time in Texas. It's gross. The best part is the hill country northwest of San Antonio and up to Austin. But it's still muggy as hell and they've got green wet bugs the size of Volkswagens that cover your windshield and grill. SXSW is still just once a year, and the big getaways are Corpus Christi, South Padre Island and the Bolivar Peninsula? Uh...no. That's pickup trucks on mud beaches while you sweat and swat mosquitoes. I'll take coastal SoCal, thank you very much.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand CUT!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Tommy Lloyd isn't going to leave Arizona for Texas. He's not money motivated.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I can’t see Tommy Lloyd leaving Arizona for another college, and definitely not Texas. The only elite college that fits his style is UNC, but, I don’t believe he wants to live on the east coast. The only job I see he might take is the NBA. But even that decision would be down the road.