Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by zonagrad »

If you're a longtime assistant and have no guarantee of Few leaving within a year or two -- then my confidence in Lloyd getting the job done here is waning. Some guys are great lieutenants but shitty generals. And that just might be the make-up of Lloyd: great behind the scenes but not a guy who can take the reins. It takes a special personality to be the head guy and be successful as the head guy.

If Lloyd is balking -- that's worrisome. If you're an assistant and really want to be "the guy" then you don't balk when a program like Arizona calls you. You aren't afraid or having second thoughts. You're begging for that opportunity. Yes, there's some ego involved. You have to believe that you know you have what it takes to do it better than someone else.

I recruit quite a bit for my company and do a lot of hiring. When I make an offer and I don't get an acceptance with confidence but instead coolness or trepidation -- I may pull that offer. It's really telling if someone doesn't have the confidence in themselves to do the job.

If you aren't the lead dog the view never changes.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

UofAlum05 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:55 am There are rumblings of 2nd thoughts by Lloyd.
Robbins deserves nothing less tbh
ekat

Post by ekat »

Basketcats wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:00 am What about Greg Marshall? I mean...we are about to venture into a dark period for the program. He has some baggage I know, but what better place (and time) to prove yourself worthy of another HC position by fixing yourself while rebuilding a program?
Say what you want about Miller, but he wasn’t run out of Tucson on accusations of assaulting his players. Plus, Marshall’s wife is nuts. No way in hell should he be a consideration
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:56 am
UofAlum05 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:55 am There are rumblings of 2nd thoughts by Lloyd.
Was gonna say the same thing... Damon Stoudamire better not be our coach
If Lloyd turns us down, the simplest answer is rehiring Miller. If we're down into the Damon Stoudamire tier, things are bad.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Feels like maybe we need Lloyd more than he needs us. Not a good spot to be in. I only say this because I'm not seeing better options. I've only seen confirmed that we're interviewing Miles and Damon (maybe Pastner). Am I nuts to think that Lloyd stands head and shoulders above these other candidates? Are we really going to roll the dice on a legacy hire?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I hate to say it but if Lloyd says no the remaining choices are not Arizona worthy. Wondering if hiring the search firm was a backup in case Lloyd renig’s on his secret handshake with dumb and dumber.

Jesus what a dumpster fire.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Only legacy hire I'd want now would be Kerr. And there's no way in hell that's happening. Gotta go outside the Arizona family here. I get the players want their guy but none of them donate money but RJ. Barely any of them should really get a say as they really aren't that connected to the program or university anymore
I said what I said and I mean it.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:14 am
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:56 am
Was gonna say the same thing... Damon Stoudamire better not be our coach
If Lloyd turns us down, the simplest answer is rehiring Miller. If we're down into the Damon Stoudamire tier, things are bad.
I freaking love the Mighty Mouse. I don’t want to have to watch his career ruined as the program tanks.

Miller would give an epic profanity filled emphatic NO ago that proposition. That would be fun to watch.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:16 am I hate to say it but if Lloyd says no the remaining choices are not Arizona worthy. Wondering if hiring the search firm was a backup in case Lloyd renig’s on his secret handshake with dumb and dumber.

Jesus what a dumpster fire.
Nope. Search firm been hired since about January or February. Multiple people have said that. They worked under Miller's nose
I said what I said and I mean it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

IF Lloyd turns us down then Robbins should be publicly castrated and we should all get to step on his wrinkly nut sack. Then we can make Heeke clean it up
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

What's Tim Floyd up to.... Floyd / Lloyd..... most fans probably wouldn't know the difference
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:03 am
TheCat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:47 pm
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:06 pm
gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:02 pm So when do we ask if there is any chance he brings Chet Holmgren with him?
Yes please. Unfortunately that seems really unlikely. I bet he can bring some role players from zaga over. Work the transfer market. Maybe he can get Fanbo Zeng. I'd love chet but I just don't see it. Their whole staff focused on him, not just him
Jesus....just what I want. A coach so loyal that he raids the program he just spent 20 years at. If he was contacted earlier and did not tell Arizona to stand down till the Natty was over I want no part of a person like that. Personally I don't believe any coach with any honor would do that to the program he was working for and I don't know llyod but will give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.
Did you have a problem when Sean Miller did it?
I don't recall the players that Sean brought from Xavier? Who were they?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:19 am What's Tim Floyd up to.... Floyd / Lloyd..... most fans probably wouldn't know the difference
Last coached at UTEP and didn't make a single NCAA tourney.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:15 am Feels like maybe we need Lloyd more than he needs us. Not a good spot to be in. I only say this because I'm not seeing better options. I've only seen confirmed that we're interviewing Miles and Damon (maybe Pastner). Am I nuts to think that Lloyd stands head and shoulders above these other candidates? Are we really going to roll the dice on a legacy hire?
With Lloyd, you bet on upside. Downside of no HC experience is he hasn't proved he can do it. Upside of no HC experience is he hasn't proved he CAN'T do it.

So far Damon has shown he can be average by Pacific's standards. Pastner has shown he's below average. Miles...it concerns me he was an assistant here from 05-08 as the program hit the skids.

Mussleman would be qualified. Lloyd, you can make an upside case. Everyone else has had a chance and not shown they're qualified.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:20 am
gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:02 pm So when do we ask if there is any chance he brings Chet Holmgren with him?
Yes please. Unfortunately that seems really unlikely. I bet he can bring some role players from zaga over. Work the transfer market. Maybe he can get Fanbo Zeng. I'd love chet but I just don't see it. Their whole staff focused on him, not just him
Jesus....just what I want. A coach so loyal that he raids the program he just spent 20 years at. If he was contacted earlier and did not tell Arizona to stand down till the Natty was over I want no part of a person like that. Personally I don't believe any coach with any honor would do that to the program he was working for and I don't know llyod but will give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.
Only one, Parrom.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Kyryl, Parrom and later Mark Lyons.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:22 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:15 am Feels like maybe we need Lloyd more than he needs us. Not a good spot to be in. I only say this because I'm not seeing better options. I've only seen confirmed that we're interviewing Miles and Damon (maybe Pastner). Am I nuts to think that Lloyd stands head and shoulders above these other candidates? Are we really going to roll the dice on a legacy hire?
With Lloyd, you bet on upside. Downside of no HC experience is he hasn't proved he can do it. Upside of no HC experience is he hasn't proved he CAN'T do it.

So far Damon has shown he can be average by Pacific's standards. Pastner has shown he's below average. Miles...it concerns me he was an assistant here from 05-08 as the program hit the skids.

Mussleman would be qualified. Lloyd, you can make an upside case. Everyone else has had a chance and not shown they're qualified.
I agree with every word of that, Spiff.

If we traded Miller for Damon -- and in the process end up losing Mathurin, Akinjo and who knows who else -- it is a colossal failure, imo. We're looking at a three to five year rebuild, and that's *best* case scenario.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If we get turned down.... by an ASSISTANT coach....
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

ekat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:07 am
Basketcats wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:00 am What about Greg Marshall? I mean...we are about to venture into a dark period for the program. He has some baggage I know, but what better place (and time) to prove yourself worthy of another HC position by fixing yourself while rebuilding a program?
Say what you want about Miller, but he wasn’t run out of Tucson on accusations of assaulting his players. Plus, Marshall’s wife is nuts. No way in hell should he be a consideration
UofA doesn't have anything to lose right now. Rep is quickly getting trashed because of all the turmoil it has had stirred up. People can change. Especially when they are given a second chance. Look at Mike Leach. He went from assault accusations at Texas Tech to rebuilding a successful program at Wazzu without any controversy. For that matter, CSM went back to what he was doing when he first came to Arizona. He went out and found kids that weren't 5*s. Brought them in and got them to work together. They started developing chemistry that would have taken them far next season. Change can happen.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

This better be a joke....not necessarily Llyod but if you did not have at a minimum a handshake agreement with someone before firing Miller you are the FN dumbest person alive. If we end up with Damon....you are the dumbest person alive.....or didn't do your due diligence. Anyone remember Damon strolling thru Airports with marijuana in tin foil? Love the guy but he is not a strong candidate.

My thoughts if Llyod isn't the guy:
1. SDSU current coach
2. Mussleman
3. Kelvin Sampson
4. Michigan's old coach or maybe Thad Matta for short term.

Heard Bobby Hurley will be available soon.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:33 am This better be a joke....not necessarily Llyod but if you did not have at a minimum a handshake agreement with someone before firing Miller you are the FN dumbest person alive. If we end up with Damon....you are the dumbest person alive.....or didn't do your due diligence. Anyone remember Damon strolling thru Airports with marijuana in tin foil? Love the guy but he is not a strong candidate.

My thoughts if Llyod isn't the guy:
1. SDSU current coach
2. Mussleman
3. Kelvin Sampson
4. Michigan's old coach or maybe Thad Matta for short term.

Heard Bobby Hurley will be available soon.
I can make a list of 50 guys I would take prior to Damon, Miles or Pastner not including unrealistic choices.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I kind of like Pope from BYU.

Kind of is the operative words...
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

He raided Kyryl as a recruit, was committed to Xavier.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Basketcats wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:30 am
UofA doesn't have anything to lose right now. Rep is quickly getting trashed because of all the turmoil it has had stirred up. People can change. Especially when they are given a second chance. Look at Mike Leach. He went from assault accusations at Texas Tech to rebuilding a successful program at Wazzu without any controversy. For that matter, CSM went back to what he was doing when he first came to Arizona. He went out and found kids that weren't 5*s. Brought them in and got them to work together. They started developing chemistry that would have taken them far next season. Change can happen.
There’s a huge difference between having a kid sit in a dark shed and pissing off said kid’s dad, and literally punching players, putting hands around the neck of the assistant coach, etc.....

If the university let Miller (who was clearly loved by his former players) go “in the interest of the student-athletes” and the direction of the program and ethics and all that crap Heeke and Robbins spouted, they cannot, should not turn around and hire someone who literally punched his players.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:22 am

Kyryl, Parrom and later Mark Lyons.
I don't think Parrom or Kyryl ever enrolled in Xavier. Maybe I'm wrong. Following the coach that has been recruiting you to there new home is different than actively taking players that were established at Xavier. Anyway I don't remember if they were current players or not because I don't remember them sitting out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:39 am
I don't think Parrom or Kyryl ever enrolled in Xavier. Maybe I'm wrong. Following the coach that has been recruiting you to there new home is different than actively taking players that were established at Xavier. Anyway I don't remember if they were current players or not because I don't remember them sitting out.
If I remember right, Parrom was a verbal, but Kyryl wasn't.

Lyons, I don't really tend to count him bc he spent 3 full years at Xavier before grad transferring.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:38 am

He raided Kyryl as a recruit, was committed to Xavier.
I list that as a negative for Miller. Kyryl was awful -- a guy you'd see on the end of the bench at Wazzu or in the Big Sky.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Parrom had a signed LOI to play at Xavier but got out of it when Miller left. He came to a FIGI Pool party and it was a done deal to Arizona.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:44 am
TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:39 am
If I remember right, Parrom was a verbal, but Kyryl wasn't.

Lyons, I don't really tend to count him bc he spent 3 full years at Xavier before grad transferring.
The discussion began regarding Chet Holmgren who is not even committed to Gonzaga. I do not see any issue with Lloyd, if he comes here, going all in on getting him to Arizona. And if Ayayi transfers (no idea why he would do that, but it has been thrown around) I would be disappointed if he was not all in on him as well.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:22 am So far Damon has shown he can be average by Pacific's standards.
I can't imagine it being easy to recruit or coach at Pacific for anyone.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:09 am Lets be real, no one is turning down what could be the difference between at the absolute least $800K (assuming Tommy Lloyd is the highest paid assistant in CBB, which he is not) and $3M a year to sit around and wait for a coach for 10-15 years because they have a "dream home". Most likely Tommy is making around $200-$300K a year. That's just an asinine argument. Culture and a company buying into you only goes so far for any sane man. The only thing that would get Tommy to stay would be Few saying he was going to retire in the next 5 years.
Read what his AD said about his salary. It is more than 200-300K / year. The AD said that it preclude a lot of teams trying to hire him. Mid majors pay way more than 200K.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

ekat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:38 am
There’s a huge difference between having a kid sit in a dark shed and pissing off said kid’s dad, and literally punching players, putting hands around the neck of the assistant coach, etc.....

If the university let Miller (who was clearly loved by his former players) go “in the interest of the student-athletes” and the direction of the program and ethics and all that crap Heeke and Robbins spouted, they cannot, should not turn around and hire someone who literally punched his players.
Fair enough. You have your opinion and I respect that :). I still believe that change can happen given the right circumstances and I wouldn't be opposed to the new coach having baggage as long as they have proven they can win.

Dammit, the UofA needs to just make nice with CSM and bring him back already. Asshats.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

From what someone else said, Damon is a below average recruiter. You can't just let the school recruit itself.

Not sure if his drug arrests will affect the goal of a squeaky clean coach, since they were just for weed, although one was a felony arrest for 5 ounces.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:49 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:22 am So far Damon has shown he can be average by Pacific's standards.
Damon has won 48% of his games. The guy before him, Ron Verlin, won .405%. Before Verlin, Bob Thomason won .575%.

I think it's fair to regard Damon as middle of the road for Pacific's standards.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:52 am
Damon has won 48% of his games. The guy before him, Ron Verlin, won .405%. Before Verlin, Bob Thomason won .575%.

I think it's fair to regard Damon as middle of the road for Pacific's standards.
I don't disagree, just making a point it's a tough gig.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Basketcats wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:52 am
ekat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:38 am

Fair enough. You have your opinion and I respect that :). I still believe that change can happen given the right circumstances and I wouldn't be opposed to the new coach having baggage as long as they have proven they can win.

Dammit, the UofA needs to just make nice with CSM and bring him back already. Asshats.
I respect your opinion as well. I just would be vehemently opposed (not that it matters much) to letting Miller go and blowing up a top 15 team in the manner they did for optics and then hiring someone with Marshall’s baggage. Robbins has already treated the student athletes horridly. They deserve better.

After riding with Miller the last 3 years, they never should have done this.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:49 am
gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:09 am Lets be real, no one is turning down what could be the difference between at the absolute least $800K (assuming Tommy Lloyd is the highest paid assistant in CBB, which he is not) and $3M a year to sit around and wait for a coach for 10-15 years because they have a "dream home". Most likely Tommy is making around $200-$300K a year. That's just an asinine argument. Culture and a company buying into you only goes so far for any sane man. The only thing that would get Tommy to stay would be Few saying he was going to retire in the next 5 years.
Read what his AD said about his salary. It is more than 200-300K / year. The AD said that it preclude a lot of teams trying to hire him. Mid majors pay way more than 200K.
Realistically, Gonzaga will likely bump him if they have a shot to retain him. Obviously probably not to the level he'd get as an HC at Arizona, but enough to be pretty comfortable in Spokane.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's crazy how quickly I've changed to being all in for Lloyd. The alternatives are just too repulsive.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I would hire Don McLean before Damon.....lol
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:00 am I would hire Don McLean before Damon.....lol
I would hire Kevin O'Neill before Damon.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I can hear the pressor now. Welcome Lloyd your new head coach at the University of Arizona. I can honestly say he was the only person offered the job and clearly represented the lessor of all known evils.

Q: Did you look at player's in the family so to speak.
A. Yes but we couldn't get by the felony convictions or how stoned you would have to be to put pot in tin foil at the airport.
Last edited by TheCat on Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:02 am
TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:00 am I would hire Don McLean before Damon.....lol
I would hire Kevin O'Neill before Damon.
I would hire Mike Dunlap before Damon.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It can always get worse.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

what about Ray Bolger?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Are there no other D1/P5 assistants out there worthy of a shot at the Arizona gig?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Which was the typical records at Gonzaga before Monson made it elite and Few continued the tradition.

If Monson could recruit into a super white city in the middle of nowhere with a very cold and snowy climate, then someone can recruit in Stockton. Yes, Stockton is a shithole, but close to the Sierras and the Bay Area.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:17 am

Which was the typical records at Gonzaga before Monson made it elite and Few continued the tradition.

If Monson could recruit into a super white city in the middle of nowhere with a very cold and snowy climate, then someone can recruit in Stockton. Yes, Stockton is a shithole, but close to the Sierras and the Bay Area.
I believe U of P has some of the worst facilities in the WCC. I just don't think you can measure recruiting at Pacific to how well you'll recruit at Arizona. You're targeting completely different players (at least I hope so!!!).

If Damon is the guy, I have to believe that Terry will likely be retained. Perhaps Murphy as well. I don't know what kind of staff you put together with Stoudamire in charge.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Scorecard for candidates.

Weed is legal in Arizona now. Point, Damon.

Robbins loves assistant coaches because they know how to take directions. Point, Lloyd.

Being swole can't hurt. Point, Bibby.

Indiana just hired a random NBA assistant alumni. Point, Miles.

An alum who connects with international players would help retain guys. Point, Kyryl.

Need someone looking for a step up. Point, Jason Gardner.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Robbins likes names like Jed- point Jud Buechler
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:23 am
Merkin wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:17 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:52 am Damon has won 48% of his games. The guy before him, Ron Verlin, won .405%. Before Verlin, Bob Thomason won .575%.

I believe U of P has some of the worst facilities in the WCC. I just don't think you can measure recruiting at Pacific to how well you'll recruit at Arizona. You're targeting completely different players (at least I hope so!!!).

If Damon is the guy, I have to believe that Terry will likely be retained. Perhaps Murphy as well. I don't know what kind of staff you put together with Stoudamire in charge.
Yeah, but there are also coaches at mid-low majors who have succeeded.

That's my thing with Damon, more resources help anyone, but he isn't particularly successful vs most midmajor coaches. You're hiring an alum, but he wouldn't crack a top 20 midmajor coach list at this point.

Damon isn't a top 4 coach in the WCC at this point. Few, Romar, Pope and Bennett at least ahead of him. Heck, Herb Sendek has been better at Santa Clara than Damon has been at Pacific.