Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Merkin »

^ Good point about WBB. It's a no risk venture. Niya Butts was head coach at Arizona for 8 years, never made a NCAA appearance and couldn't beat ASU and no one cared. Just a Title IX losing money program.

Adia made fans care about the program.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:26 pm
BibbysTowelDude wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:00 pm I can't wait until everyone pretends Lloyd is their guy.
Don't worry about me.

Until Robbins and Heeke are gone, I'm done with support of Arizona Athletics.
Same here.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I'm very pessimistic right now. I think whoever we hire we'll screw over somehow anyway, so maybe it's best to hire someone horrible so we don't ruin a good person's career. Now I know why some people always date assholes. I don't know if we deserve a good coach with our current president/ad. What a horrible mindset. I need counseling.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The only reason I’m marginally ok with the Lloyd hire is that with sanctions coming it’s probably a lame duck hiring for anyone unless they really hit it out of the park
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Tommy (or whoever the coach is) better hope more than half the team defects. Because if he keeps the core intact and then flops next year he will always be the guy that fucked up Miller’s next great team.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

https://www.si.com/college/2021/04/02/g ... e-mark-few
"That evolution, though, does not stop with the players. Few and Lloyd have improved their style, particularly on offense, over the years, too. Morrison pointed that out in SI’s daily cover story on the Zags from February, saying that the coaches came to embrace an offensive tao that more resembled the NBA in terms of spacing and versatile players who can all run and shoot and rebound and play at a faster tempo. Suggs told SI that the way the Zags play factored heavily in his decision to turn down a football scholarship from Ohio State."

"In most instances the head coach of a program like Gonzaga would best symbolize the soul of this special thing that had been built. Few does, of course. But, in this case, so does his most loyal assistant. From the international recruiting pipeline to the culture of Gonzaga’s now-massive brand to the players who are not stars but become them—Lloyd played a significant role in each step of the evolution. “The style changed over the last decade, and a lot of that has to do with Tommy,” Morrison continues. “And I’m not just saying that to make him sound good in an article. They run pro-style, European-style stuff—space, movement, efficiency—and that’s Tommy Lloyd, the influence.”
https://www.si.com/college/2021/02/11/h ... aily-cover
"He (Morrison) also says Few and Lloyd are better coaches than they were during his tenure—and he doesn’t say that to slight their coaching of his squads. They now run an NBA-style offense that features cutters, high-ball screens, fast tempo, floor spacing and decisions based on reads, which Suggs points to as a major factor in his decision to play there. On nights off, Morrison sometimes watches other games, so many 58–55 scores and inept offenses that make him “want to stab my eyes out.”
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:17 am Tommy (or whoever the coach is) better hope more than half the team defects. Because if he keeps the core intact and then flops next year he will always be the guy that fucked up Miller’s next great team.
Great is going a bit too far, IMO.

I still think we were another versatile, defensive 4 and shot creator who can score, or quality development from a handful of guys, away from being a definitely top 10 team with high asperations.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:17 am Tommy (or whoever the coach is) better hope more than half the team defects. Because if he keeps the core intact and then flops next year he will always be the guy that fucked up Miller’s next great team.
The average idiot fan looks at us not being in the tournament for three years and thinks we have a shitty roster. Us diehards know we have some really good players returning. Our next coach if they keep those players will have the chance to land with their feet running and if he sucks, the average fan will think it was Millers fault for leaving him with crappy players.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Been reading some Gonzaga boards today. Some of their posters are saying Lloyd agreed at 3 mill a year, for 7 years. Just having interviews with other guys to make it seem like a legitimate search. Looks like it's Lloyd
I said what I said and I mean it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I thought Arizona universities can't give more than a 5 year contract?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BeardownZonaZona

No clue. Just saying what I have been reading. This thing is a disaster. Time to watch the Masters and not worry about the shit show that is coaching hires here at uofa
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:30 am Been reading some Gonzaga boards today. Some of their posters are saying Lloyd agreed at 3 mill a year, for 7 years. Just having interviews with other guys to make it seem like a legitimate search. Looks like it's Lloyd
Can't be true. Can't give 7 year contracts in Arizona from my understanding.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:30 am Been reading some Gonzaga boards today. Some of their posters are saying Lloyd agreed at 3 mill a year, for 7 years. Just having interviews with other guys to make it seem like a legitimate search. Looks like it's Lloyd
If true, that's crazy.

I'll say, guys: as lousy as most here are feeling, I can't help but look forward to the announcement of the new coach, whether it's Lloyd or someone else. I want some certainty about what's coming next, and I want to see the new coach start getting this house in order. I want to see our roster situation for next year become clearer, and most of all, I just want to start having some good vibes about this program again. Winning cures everything. If you don't believe it, ask Bill Self.

AZ remains the flagship program of the Pac 12. ESPN can't change that. I'm looking forward to reclaiming our throne.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

If true, is that enough to get Musselman?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:41 am
Would put him around 21-22 nationally in line with Sampson & Holtman. Altman makes 3.125 Mil & Larry Krystkowiak was making 3.77 mill. Sean had a base pay of 2.8 last year. Cronin makes over 5 mill

https://www.thestreet.com/lifestyle/spo ... s-14774331

Here is Musselman's salary

https://watchstadium.com/arkansas-coach ... 4-09-2019/
Last edited by 84Cat on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Choo said if there's no news by Monday, it probably means Lloyd turned us down and we're moving on to Plan B, C and D.
BeardownZonaZona

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:41 am
Doubtful. Arkansas can easily outbid us. SEC schools got all the money in the world. His buyout is 5 mill right now and drops to 1.5 mill on May 1st. Not sure we can wait that long nor afford the buyout now and pay that salary.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’m surprisingly cool with Tommy Lloyd, if it’s him.

He’s probably the type of character guy that could hold Miller’s team together and have some success next year to really kick off his tenure.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:50 am Choo said if there's no news by Monday, it probably means Lloyd turned us down and we're moving on to Plan B, C and D.
One suspects the only thing that would turn him off is the likelihood of additional sanctions to deal with in his first couple years (that didn’t stop Mack from going to Louisville). Other than that, Arizona is one of the biggest brands in college basketball, a potential recruiting hotbed, and a team with a current roster that can compete if he can keep it intact.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I know, midnight...I know! I think some of our general malaise from the last few years has maybe distorted our own perception of AZ hoops. This is an ELITE job. Nationally. I think that we have some natural advantages (warm climate, proximity to prime recruiting regions, golf resorts everywhere, relatively low cost of living, et al.) that other historically elite programs may not. Thinking of Indiana, mainly, but there are others.

Anyway, Lloyd would be nuts to turn down a freaking 7 year contract at 3 million per, considering he's NEVER been a head coach before. I think it's very unlikely those are the actual terms.
BeardownZonaZona

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/sho ... izona/page
This is where I saw someone saying that. I'm taking it as a grain of salt but do with it as you please
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:09 pm How do you justify Kansas ever hiring Assistant coach Roy Williams? Or UNC bumping up Herbert? What better experienced head coach can Arizona land? I mean it’s Lloyd or Damon. Come on. The market depends on what is available and some coaches are unavailable due to upcoming sanctions or racism or you name it.
To answer what better coach, simple, Sean Miller's done better than Lloyd or Damon.

That's the first distinction between Roy at KU, Davis at UNC and us. KU and UNC had coaches leave and did not fire someone to create a vacancy. I'm of the mind when you fire someone, it matters how the replacement stacks up to the guy who was fired.

If the market is bad (and I agree it is) that makes it even dumber to make a move. In the real world, sometimes you keep people who are suboptimal because they're the best you can get. That's my opinion on Miller vs Damon/Lloyd. Miller's better.

If it was Mussleman, I can make a straight faced case he could be an upgrade over Miller. I do not feel the same about Lloyd and Damon. Anything is possible, but I don't see objective evidence of that like I do with Mussleman.

Roy is the last assistant coach from outside to work out for a major program. Our Plan A appears to be something that hasn't worked in 32 years. If it was easy or simple to replicate, it would have been done in the 3 (technically 4) decades since.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:37 am I thought Arizona universities can't give more than a 5 year contract?
https://public.azregents.edu/Policy%20M ... ectors.pdf
E. No contractual commitment to a coach or athletics director may exceed a
term of 5 years.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Tommy Lloyd is the exact opposite of Sean Miller in every way - from his style of game to his personality

exact opposite

surprised?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I am good with that in every way, as long as the results are not the opposite.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Choo.. if it is Lloyd do you think he’d be able to keep the roster intact?
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

NickyBCats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:10 pm Choo.. if it is Lloyd do you think he’d be able to keep the roster intact?
This is my question as well
BeardownZonaZona

Not Choo but I'm assuming he could possibly do it. All the euro kids probably know him. He's pretty respected over there. Akinjo probably not, he was very tight with CSM. I could see Kerr and Tubelis knowing him already
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:31 pm Not Choo but I'm assuming he could possibly do it. All the euro kids probably know him. He's pretty respected over there. Akinjo probably not, he was very tight with CSM. I could see Kerr and Tubelis knowing him already
Makes sense. By that logic then mathurin, terry, akinjo likely gone :(. Sooner the better to make it official so they can get to work trying to keep as many as possible. Overall just shitty situation
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

A1RZONA wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:47 pm
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:31 pm Not Choo but I'm assuming he could possibly do it. All the euro kids probably know him. He's pretty respected over there. Akinjo probably not, he was very tight with CSM. I could see Kerr and Tubelis knowing him already
Makes sense. By that logic then mathurin, terry, akinjo likely gone :(. Sooner the better to make it official so they can get to work trying to keep as many as possible. Overall just shitty situation
This is why firing Sean now, instead of a year from now, was such a terrible idea.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:49 pm
This is why firing Sean now, instead of a year from now, was such a terrible idea.
Ya just a colossal fuck up on all accounts
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:28 am
The average idiot fan looks at us not being in the tournament for three years and thinks we have a shitty roster. Us diehards know we have some really good players returning. Our next coach if they keep those players will have the chance to land with their feet running and if he sucks, the average fan will think it was Millers fault for leaving him with crappy players.
And if you’ve looked at Facebook the past 24+ hours, you’ll quickly verify there are a shit ton of average, idiot fans out there.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

True. But what do Robbins and Heeke do if Miller wins the PAC again and makes a deep run in March? Let him go after potentially making another Sweet 16 appearance and potentially his first Final Four? Robbins and Heeke couldn't take that risk, and had to fire Miller now, before he had the chance to succeed, and leave the Arizona "brainless trust" with no choice but to extend.
BeardownZonaZona

Ya never know tho. Akinjo could come back because of his relationships with the team. This team really loved playing for each other. Maybe Lloyd recruited those goes too when they were in high school. Ya never know. They could also talk to him and by in. No clue. It's always a crap shoot with this type of stuff
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:07 pm
True. But what do Robbins and Heeke do if Miller wins the PAC again and makes a deep run in March? Let him go after potentially making another Sweet 16 appearance and potentially his first Final Four? Robbins and Heeke couldn't take that risk, and had to fire Miller now, before he had the chance to succeed, and leave the Arizona "brainless trust" with no choice but to extend.
I've foolishly assumed that our AD and university president would be happy if our men's team were winning their league and getting far in the tournament; didn't realize that's actually contrary to their aspirations for the basketball program.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:07 pm True. But what do Robbins and Heeke do if Miller wins the PAC again and makes a deep run in March? Let him go after potentially making another Sweet 16 appearance and potentially his first Final Four? Robbins and Heeke couldn't take that risk, and had to fire Miller now, before he had the chance to succeed, and leave the Arizona "brainless trust" with no choice but to extend.
I agree 100% of that assessment, and purposely destroying the basketball program certainly is a good reason to fire Robbins and Heeke.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:11 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:07 pm
I've foolishly assumed that our AD and university president would be happy if our men's team were winning their league and getting far in the tournament; didn't realize that's actually contrary to their aspirations for the basketball program.
This is how a Narcissist like Robbins thinks.

If the team had reached the 2nd Weekend or the Final Four next year Miller would get all the credit for saving the program from the trash heap.

Now if the team reaches the 2nd weekend/Final Four next year Robbins will be praised as a genius for bringing in Lloyd.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

and why do you think the UofA braintrust never let Miller get a chance in the NCAA Tournament this year?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:18 pm and why do you think the UofA braintrust never let Miller get a chance in the NCAA Tournament this year?
And why did they not tell Miller before taking away the chance?

Why did they fire Phelps randomly one day?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:06 pm Tommy Lloyd is the exact opposite of Sean Miller in every way - from his style of game to his personality

exact opposite

surprised?
Not every way, he’s passionate about recruiting
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

cause they wanted to fire Miller in April 2018 and didnt have the guts, just like the didnt have the guts the following year and the following.

the let him hang himself routine didnt work, and COVID didnt help.

lets just say after the NOD it was cancel the season and get him out.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:24 pm cause they wanted to fire Miller in April 2018 and didnt have the guts, just like the didnt have the guts the following year and the following.

Which is almost so pathetic it’s truly unreal.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:23 pm
97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:06 pm Tommy Lloyd is the exact opposite of Sean Miller in every way - from his style of game to his personality

exact opposite

surprised?
yes, but different completely there as well- Miller was the king of the five star highjack, obsessed with the top 10 - Lloyd is an under the radar assassin on the trail. amazing evaluator. predictor and developer.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:18 pm and why do you think the UofA braintrust never let Miller get a chance in the NCAA Tournament this year?
At the end of regular season, our resume was almost identical to UCLA's. If we were eligible, beat CAL on the first day of the PAC-12 Tournament, we would have faced UCLA again in what would be a de facto play-in game for the tournament. The winner would have another Q1 victory to add to the resume, and the loser would be bubble sweating hoping an Oregon State didn't win the PAC-12 Tournament. Never know what might have happened, but maybe instead of Juzang going off, Akinjo gets hot and becomes the darling of the tournament. And Heeke/Robbins would be in a position of having to extend Miller, which they did everything in their power to stop.

Makes no sense. Want to get rid of Miller, do it three years ago. Or do it when the NOA comes out. Not now.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:26 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:23 pm

exact opposite

surprised?
yes, but different completely there as well- Miller was the king of the five star highjack, obsessed with the top 10 - Lloyd is an under the radar assassin on the trail. amazing evaluator. predictor and developer.
Agreed. Which is the style Miller was seemingly looking towards to some degree.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:27 pm
At the end of regular season, our resume was almost identical to UCLA's. If we were eligible, beat CAL on the first day of the PAC-12 Tournament, we would have faced UCLA again in what would be a de facto play-in game for the tournament. The winner would have another Q1 victory to add to the resume, and the loser would be bubble sweating hoping an Oregon State didn't win the PAC-12 Tournament. Never know what might have happened, but maybe instead of Juzang going off, Akinjo gets hot and becomes the darling of the tournament. And Heeke/Robbins would be in a position of having to extend Miller, which they did everything in their power to stop.

Makes no sense. Want to get rid of Miller, do it three years ago. Or do it when the NOA comes out. Not now.
It does make sense when boosters and majority of fans supported Miller.

Handicap him and make him want to leave. Miller went back to work and dug deeper.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:24 pm cause they wanted to fire Miller in April 2018 and didnt have the guts, just like the didnt have the guts the following year and the following.

Robbins really has the student athlete's best interest at heart doesn't he?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:27 pm

astute observation and i agree - consider the reason he shifted?

the same thing Arizona is going for now was the thing Miller was trying to do to save his ass.......but make no mistake, as i know you already are well versed and know, if Miller fires the clown and he never gets clipped, Sean Miller TODAY is still the king of the five star highjack; you can take that all the way to the bank.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:33 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:27 pm

astute observation and i agree - consider the reason he shifted?

the same thing Arizona is going for now was the thing Miller was trying to do to save his ass.......but make no mistake, as i know you already are well versed and know, if Miller fires the clown and he never gets clipped, Sean Miller TODAY is still the king of the five star highjack; you can take that all the way to the bank.
Ironically the Zags had just high jacked their best 5 star in history.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

UofAlum05 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:31 pm

Robbins really has the student athlete's best interest at heart doesn't he?
:lol: lmmfao :lol: