Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Olsondogg »

So 97....

Why the loyalty. Is it just miller’s dna?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

I like the fact he looks kind of like a thinner Andy Richter
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:34 pm

Ironically the Zags had just high jacked their best 5 star in history.
yes and from what i understand he came to Gonzaga, he came to them and said he wanted to be a visionary, the first to win a title at Gonzaga....Duke and Kansas and Kentucky and North Carolina are not competing with Gonzaga 8 out of 10 times.

sprinkle a five star now due to increased street cred and get the committed developable skilled college player and scour all things international

its the Gonzaga way.

PS - ya know what hilarious, i used to bring up Gonzaga and how continuing to treat them like our little brother was so important to the heath and growth of the Arizona program particularly in the west especially in the Sean Miller early years and here is exactly what i was told:

"Gonzaga is totally irrelevant. We could care less about Gonzaga"

pretty fucking hilarious......Arizona gonna copy what was once irrelevant

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me how we have fallin
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:39 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:34 pm

Ironically the Zags had just high jacked their best 5 star in history.
yes and from what i understand he came to Gonzaga, he came to them and said he wanted to be a visionary, the first to win a title at Gonzaga....Duke and Kansas and Kentucky and North Carolina are not competing with Gonzaga 8 out of 10 times.

sprinkle a five star now due to increased street cred and get the committed developable skilled college player and scour all things international

its the Gonzaga way.

PS - ya know what hilarious, i used to bring up Gonzaga and how continuing to treat them like our little brother was so important to the heath and growth of the Arizona program particularly in the west especially in the Sean Miller early years and here is exactly what i was told:

"Gonzaga is totally irrelevant. We could care less about Gonzaga"

pretty fucking hilarious......Arizona gonna copy what was once irrelevant

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me how we have fallin
I’d argue the game has changed. The transfer market is where the real recruiting is. IMO
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

it is now even moreso - Kentucky recruit stars for UCLA in second year

its a totally different ballgame now its just funny that they are coming to Gonzaga for help....Arizona was the example. Arizona was the benchmark. Arizona was the standard.

sad
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:43 pm it is now even moreso - Kentucky recruit stars for UCLA in second year

its a totally different ballgame now its just funny that they are coming to Gonzaga for help....Arizona was the example. Arizona was the benchmark. Arizona was the standard.

sad
I get the sadness but due credit to the Zags.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:45 pm
97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:43 pm it is now even moreso - Kentucky recruit stars for UCLA in second year

sad
I get the sadness but due credit to the Zags.
oh man i agree and having humility to respect and appreciate a new path and way is half the part of life, IMO.

no shame in joining the new kid way...but as a self described "get off my lawn" guy in this post its tough for me as an old School Arizona guy to see us clamoring to Gonzaga for leadership, guidance, and process.

Arizona dominated the west in this area for so many years, and all the way up to July 2017 when the wheels officially came off....nothing was ever going to change that if Book didnt happen

i know i need to get over it. i know i need to move on.

but Sean Miller being fired to be replaced by an assistant on Gonzaga's bench just makes me realize how far Arizona has fallen since Thursday Mar 17, 2016....the date when things all began to start to break apart at Arizona for Miller & Co
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

True man. But hindsight is always rosy. I remember how I felt as we hired a Xavier coach (albeit he did get to Elite 8s there) with no west coast ties and a style of game that was odd to anyone who loved AZ basketball.

The 3 coaches in 3 years stuff with nobody decent on the roster outside of Nic Wise was a scary time.

Better days lie ahead for sure. Those that have fallen can always get back up and become what they were. Redemption stories are key in America.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well we are scheduled to play Gonzaga and a bunch of other heavy weights next year so we will get to see what we are made of early.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:56 pm True man. But hindsight is always rosy. I remember how I felt as we hired a Xavier coach (albeit he did get to Elite 8s there) with no west coast ties and a style of game that was odd to anyone who loved AZ basketball.

The 3 coaches in 3 years stuff with nobody decent on the roster outside of Nic Wise was a scary time.

Better days lie ahead for sure. Those that have fallen can always get back up and become what they were. Redemption stories are key in America.
well said and true that...but when Sean Miller was hired to be Arizona's next head coach, i was overwrought with happiness, excitement, and joy.

i cant say the same here
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I’d be lying to say I knew anything about Lloyd outside of a few articles and watching the zags play a few times a year. My buddy, Zags guy, says Arizona will love him and what he will bring. He basically blamed the natty game and how the zags started in the rumors flowing within the program about the Arizona job opening and hearing Lloyd was gonna leave. A huge loss to the zags when he goes.

I said earlier I’d rather go with him than a retread. After all the shit we’ve been through as fans over the last 5 years, we are due for some good karma. I will hope he does well.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:58 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:56 pm True man. But hindsight is always rosy. I remember how I felt as we hired a Xavier coach (albeit he did get to Elite 8s there) with no west coast ties and a style of game that was odd to anyone who loved AZ basketball.

well said and true that...but when Sean Miller was hired to be Arizona's next head coach, i was overwrought with happiness, excitement, and joy.

i cant say the same here
Well, I’m not as knowledgeable or connected as you...but after the first presser I was all in.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Recruiting has seemed to become really fragmented; you really have to have a plan/vision for the type of player you’re looking to recruit. Lloyd really seems to have that has been able to execute it well.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:01 pm
Well, I’m not as knowledgeable or connected as you...but after the first presser I was all in.
you are more connected than i am now or the last two years and easily as knowledgeable...IMO, as i mentioned in the past, i thought Miller shoulda been gone in April 2017 and in no event no later than April 2018. at that point when the administration proved by their actions they had no backbone or guts i severely pulled back......like many many many many many many other Arizona Basketball supporters i didnt care and couldnt take it seriously with the circus it had become. it was embarrassing on every level.

Miller had to go, there was never a doubt in my mind, but he shoulda been fired at least three years ago.

what the administration did trying to get him to hang itself was worse and more negatively impactful than anything Book or Sean ever did
Last edited by 97cats on Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:08 pm
you are more connected than i am now or the last two years and easily as knowledgeable...IMO, as i mentioned in the past, i thought Miller shoulda been gone in April 2017 and in no event no later than April 2018. at that point when the administration proved by their actions they had no backbone or guts i severely pulled back......like many many many many many many other Arizona Basketball supporters i didnt care and couldnt take it seriously with the circus it had become. it was embarrassing on every level.

Miller had to go, there was never a doubt in my mind, but he shoulda been fired at least three years ago.
So aside from the sadness over the level Arizona is at...feelings on Lloyd?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This is what's so twisted and maddening about the whole thing. Most agree that he needed to go, but the timing and circumstances could not have been worse. It made no sense to pull the trigger right as we were gaining steam again; it's not fair to our current players. The impact on our players has turned out to be collateral damage in a high stakes 3D chess match between the ABOR, Robbins and Miller.

The better move would've been to let him coach next season, let these players have another season together, and then, if warranted, make the change in '22.

But I'm tired of being pissed about this and am ready to shift all attention to our new hire. I hope we don't have to wait too long for news.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:10 pm

So aside from the sadness over the level Arizona is at...feelings on Lloyd?
i like that hes different in almost everyway...you said no retread i believe and i agree with that 100%. Lloyd is fresh and new.

plus i want up and down basketball and not so much Bobby Knight...Arizona got a little taste of Bobby Knight the last three years in Tucson and id like less of that and more Dean Smith...Lloyd's style is more Dean Smith and Miller's had become more Bobby Knight
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

My only hope is that whoever comes in next is successful. The last thing I want is for us to fade into obscurity and be an afterthought. Which after yesterday feels like a possibility.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:26 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:23 pm
97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:06 pm Tommy Lloyd is the exact opposite of Sean Miller in every way - from his style of game to his personality

exact opposite

surprised?
Not every way, he’s passionate about recruiting
yes, but different completely there as well- Miller was the king of the five star highjack, obsessed with the top 10 - Lloyd is an under the radar assassin on the trail. amazing evaluator. predictor and developer.
I've gotta disagree on Miller. Just recently, the following guys weren't 5 stars.

Tubelis, Mathurin, Kriisa, Nnaji, Markannen, Ristic, York, Kadeem. The only one I'm stretching a bit for is Kadeem because he was JUCO POY, for whatever star you'd assign to that.

All those guys were very productive Arizona players, some of whom went from not mentioned to NBA first round and lottery in a single year. If you look further back, guys like DWill, Parrom, etc. were all major success stories.

Plus, it's not like our top ten guys sucked. Zeus and Ashley were probably the two who did the least and they were 3 and 4 year starters on great teams.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Miller pre 2017-18 was on the path to a 25 year tenured career at Arizona - his recruiting wins and results on the floor prove that.

after the fiasco started, the model was broken and the end was here for Miller & Co
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:13 pm

This is what's so twisted and maddening about the whole thing. Most agree that he needed to go, but the timing and circumstances could not have been worse. It made no sense to pull the trigger right as we were gaining steam again; it's not fair to our current players. The impact on our players has turned out to be collateral damage in a high stakes 3D chess match between the ABOR, Robbins and Miller.

The better move would've been to let him coach next season, let these players have another season together, and then, if warranted, make the change in '22.

But I'm tired of being pissed about this and am ready to shift all attention to our new hire. I hope we don't have to wait too long for news.
Pretty much where I'm at. All day yesterday I kept being called a Miller loyalist, etc. etc. Listen if a new coach can come in and energize a few things that's fine by me. I just felt this whole game that Robbins tried to play was severely unfair to the current players. They had to play in a weird season, with no fans, not enjoy the college experience, & had the tournament taken away from them. Despite that they kept working their butts off.

Akinjo had a really rough upbringing, was mocked by Beheim (total prick), and wrongfully had his name included in a release Georgetown did about a players being accused of rape. He finally had a coach/mentor who he believed in and who believed in him. He worked his butt off and signs pointed that he would go through the NBA process and come back.

We had international players come here during a freaking pandemic. Asked to sacrifice a year of their lives and careers.

Jordan Brown transferred here so he could finally pursue his dream of playing major basketball despite his dad being unable to travel to see him play.

I liked Miller and I had some issues with Miller. But I do think he worked his ass off and I do think he did all that he could do. It wasn't fair to him and his family to leave him twisting in the wind like that. But he will be fine. It is the treatment of the players that bothers me and I still get the impression that Robbins/Heeke do not give a fuck even when they try to pretend they do. That just doesn't sit right with me and I'm really humiliated that my University did that to them.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

i cant say the same here
I was in when he landed his first two major classes. I remember seeing 3 top ten guys as AZ commits (Grant, Bash, and Tarc) and thinking a title was forthcoming, and that AZ was truly competing with Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and Carolina annually for the best talent in America. It only lasted a couple of years.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:26 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:23 pm
97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:06 pm Tommy Lloyd is the exact opposite of Sean Miller in every way - from his style of game to his personality

exact opposite

surprised?
Not every way, he’s passionate about recruiting
yes, but different completely there as well- Miller was the king of the five star highjack, obsessed with the top 10 - Lloyd is an under the radar assassin on the trail. amazing evaluator. predictor and developer.
after having lived through the last few years, I much prefer Lloyd's style...
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

So, is this Tommy Lloyd thing really happening?

If Lloyd can truly emulate the Gonzaga consistency and success, plus utilize AZ’s recruiting advantages, it might work.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

is Mark Few coming too?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:46 pm is Mark Few coming too?
You think it is that bad of a potential hire?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Yes, and they are bringing Chet Holmgren. We're back baby!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UofAlum05 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:28 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:13 pm

Pretty much where I'm at. All day yesterday I kept being called a Miller loyalist, etc. etc. Listen if a new coach can come in and energize a few things that's fine by me. I just felt this whole game that Robbins tried to play was severely unfair to the current players. They had to play in a weird season, with no fans, not enjoy the college experience, & had the tournament taken away from them. Despite that they kept working their butts off.

Akinjo had a really rough upbringing, was mocked by Beheim (total prick), and wrongfully had his name included in a release Georgetown did about a players being accused of rape. He finally had a coach/mentor who he believed in and who believed in him. He worked his butt off and signs pointed that he would go through the NBA process and come back.

We had international players come here during a freaking pandemic. Asked to sacrifice a year of their lives and careers.

Jordan Brown transferred here so he could finally pursue his dream of playing major basketball despite his dad being unable to travel to see him play.

I liked Miller and I had some issues with Miller. But I do think he worked his ass off and I do think he did all that he could do. It wasn't fair to him and his family to leave him twisting in the wind like that. But he will be fine. It is the treatment of the players that bothers me and I still get the impression that Robbins/Heeke do not give a fuck even when they try to pretend they do. That just doesn't sit right with me and I'm really humiliated that my University did that to them.
Fantastic post, man.

If Robbins and Heeke thought Miller should have been fired in 2018, they should have done it then and I could have respected that.

They didn't, so I think you have to give Miller and the team a fair shot after that point. I don't think that ever happened. It got to a point Miller and our roster would have been back in the top ten again, so he had to be fired so Robbins could get his guy before Robbins himself was out.

I share your judgment that we had decent success given the now apparent lack of support for the process.

I guess in some ways it's unfair to the incoming coach that this is the birth of his time at Arizona, but that's ultimately on Robbins and Heeke. If the head is rotting, it infects the body.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's funny, I remember a few years ago when people would talk Miller replacements, Few would come up.

Now, we've maybe hired Mark Few...'s assistant. Cannot say I'm hyped.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:52 pm
It's funny, I remember a few years ago when people would talk Miller replacements, Few would come up.

I recall back in those days Musselman's name was also bandied about. To a "meh" response.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:52 pm

Few was never coming to Arizona. There was a time when people thought he was almost a guarantee to be Lute’s successor.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Many will be interviewed; Few will turn us down.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

midnightx wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:37 pm

i cant say the same here
I was in when he landed his first two major classes. I remember seeing 3 top ten guys as AZ commits (Grant, Bash, and Tarc) and thinking a title was forthcoming, and that AZ was truly competing with Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and Carolina annually for the best talent in America. It only lasted a couple of years.
I will go to my deathbed thinking they win the title if Bash doesn’t break his foot, or event if Grant had been here to fill in.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:21 pm
I will go to my deathbed thinking they win the title if Bash doesn’t break his foot, or event if Grant had been here to fill in.
It's going to be so damn nice when we can hang our hats on something other than "if only Ashley hadn't been injured."
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I'm gonna make a guess and say Lloyd isn't coming right now either...

If I had just built a new house, was guaranteed the HC job is I stayed, had been entrenched in the community for years and was looking at an offer from a school with a LOT of NCAA baggage over its head and a Prez who doesn't give a fuck about the HC or his players...and ALL of this was in a pandemic...I'd pump the breaks as ANY reasonable person would and say..."Naw, I'll wait it out"...

Remember Gonzaga is a Catholic school...its more than just some basketball hotspot that Few has created...its the same reason Mark has turned down MAJOR bling to stay where he is...its a sweet gig with a focus on other things in life than basketball...I can promise you Lloyd has that in his veins since he's been there so long.

Robbins thinks money can make anything happen so he throws it at everything...problem is, LOTS of people value other things more than millions in the bank...Lloyd is one of them.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Sounds like Lloyd is pretty much a done deal. Just have to hope for the best. Bear down
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:29 pm I'm gonna make a guess and say Lloyd isn't coming right now either...

If I had just built a new house, was guaranteed the HC job is I stayed, had been entrenched in the community for years and was looking at an offer from a school with a LOT of NCAA baggage over its head and a Prez who doesn't give a fuck about the HC or his players...and ALL of this was in a pandemic...I'd pump the breaks as ANY reasonable person would and say..."Naw, I'll wait it out"...

Remember Gonzaga is a Catholic school...its more than just some basketball hotspot that Few has created...its the same reason Mark has turned down MAJOR bling to stay where he is...its a sweet gig with a focus on other things in life than basketball...I can promise you Lloyd has that in his veins since he's been there so long.

Robbins thinks money can make anything happen so he throws it at everything...problem is, LOTS of people value other things more than millions in the bank...Lloyd is one of them.
So you would turn down a pay raise of multiple proportions at a school with one of the most loyal fan bases and deepest histories on the West Coast because you just built a house and you will be promoted in a decade or two? I can't think of any reasonable person who would turn that down.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Dosia wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 pm Sounds like Lloyd is pretty much a done deal. Just have to hope for the best. Bear down
Because Scheer said so, or...?
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:47 pm
Dosia wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 pm Sounds like Lloyd is pretty much a done deal. Just have to hope for the best. Bear down
Playersprogramu just tweeted it whatever that’s worth
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Painfully obvious the Miller was played from the time Robbins self banned.

Time to move on and hope Miller doesn’t take the ASSU job someday and kick our ass
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Pretty much implied, gonzaga mods going to Jasons site. Where theres smoke...
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

A1RZONA wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:49 pm
Playersprogramu just tweeted it whatever that’s worth
They notoriously steal info from premium.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not sure how credible that site is. Guess we'll know soon.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Also, I need this shit to wrap up soon because my work productivity is at an all time low this week. And I'm on a damn deadline.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

So when do we ask if there is any chance he brings Chet Holmgren with him?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:02 pm So when do we ask if there is any chance he brings Chet Holmgren with him?
I'd much rather have him convince Tubelis and Kriisa to stay.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:04 pm
gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:02 pm So when do we ask if there is any chance he brings Chet Holmgren with him?
Why not be greedy? I have heard rumors that he has already been in contact with some of the players so step 1 may already be underway.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Yes please. Unfortunately that seems really unlikely. I bet he can bring some role players from zaga over. Work the transfer market. Maybe he can get Fanbo Zeng. I'd love chet but I just don't see it. Their whole staff focused on him, not just him
I said what I said and I mean it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:04 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:04 pm
Why not be greedy? I have heard rumors that he has already been in contact with some of the players so step 1 may already be underway.
I feel you, but I'm also being realistic. Gonzaga is coming off a national title game appearance and could have some key pieces back. Holmgren has a golden opportunity with that team. Might be a tough sell to sway him to Tucson.