Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BeardownZonaZona

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Now Ayayi? That's a guy we can steal. Wasn't happy as the third option this year, but is supposedly looking to transfer and will announce that soon, according to Gonzaga boards, that's a guy who Lloyd should try to bring over. He'd be great here
I said what I said and I mean it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:52 pm
A1RZONA wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:49 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:47 pm
Dosia wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 pm Sounds like Lloyd is pretty much a done deal. Just have to hope for the best. Bear down
Because Scheer said so, or...?
Playersprogramu just tweeted it whatever that’s worth
They notoriously steal info from premium.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

I'm not as wise on coaching acumen as most of you all, so how would you assess Lloyd in these 5 traits?

1) Ability to retain current players - A short term benefit but simply putting talent out there is 70% of college bball game.

2) X and Os - Miller had a solid strategy, but was often too rigid.

3) Player Development - Miller overly trusted his favorites and let the bench stall in neutral. Gonzaga often has multi year players that got better?

4) Recruiting /Scouting - Seems like Lloyd has a good eye. Retaining a top 15ish UA team could only help.

5) Management - Probably the most questionable, as Lloyd hasn't ever been HC.
Good team chemistry? Reign in assistants? Relations with the press, fans and UA admin?

Am I missing any other key attributes?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

1stNGrant Frys wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:43 pm I'm not as wise on coaching acumen as most of you all, so how would you assess Lloyd in these 5 traits?

1) Ability to retain current players - A short term benefit but simply putting talent out there is 70% of college bball game.

3) Player Development - Miller overly trusted his favorites and let the bench stall in neutral. Gonzaga often has multi year players that got better?

4) Recruiting /Scouting - Seems like Lloyd has a good eye. Retaining a top 15ish UA team could only help.

Good team chemistry? Reign in assistants? Relations with the press, fans and UA admin?

I think your post spotlights what I see as the futility of a comparison (for better or worse).

Your Arizona list presumes (probably correctly) Miller's action. Your Gonzaga list requires setting aside Few.

It's extraordinarily difficult to divorce an assistant from a HC, IMO, without really having a close view, which I won't pretend to have.

I'm not a huge fan of hiring a good assistant coach simply because it means you missed on a good HC to get there, and I would class Miller as a good HC. That's not a slam on Lloyd, though. I had zero clue who he was until he was basically Arizona's coach, and I like college basketball and follow it pretty closely.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

A players program website saying Lloyd has agreed to be the UofA"a next coach.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Irish27 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:34 pm A players program website saying Lloyd has agreed to be the UofA"a next coach.
They stole it from Scheer.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:46 pm
CatFanOneMil wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:29 pm I'm gonna make a guess and say Lloyd isn't coming right now either...

If I had just built a new house, was guaranteed the HC job is I stayed, had been entrenched in the community for years and was looking at an offer from a school with a LOT of NCAA baggage over its head and a Prez who doesn't give a fuck about the HC or his players...and ALL of this was in a pandemic...I'd pump the breaks as ANY reasonable person would and say..."Naw, I'll wait it out"...

Remember Gonzaga is a Catholic school...its more than just some basketball hotspot that Few has created...its the same reason Mark has turned down MAJOR bling to stay where he is...its a sweet gig with a focus on other things in life than basketball...I can promise you Lloyd has that in his veins since he's been there so long.

Robbins thinks money can make anything happen so he throws it at everything...problem is, LOTS of people value other things more than millions in the bank...Lloyd is one of them.
So you would turn down a pay raise of multiple proportions at a school with one of the most loyal fan bases and deepest histories on the West Coast because you just built a house and you will be promoted in a decade or two? I can't think of any reasonable person who would turn that down.
Mark Few would turn it down in a heartbeat and I suspect has, if his assistants are anything like him then yes they will turn it down.

You cannot unpolish the turn that Robbins and Heeke have laid in the way they handled Miller, NO SERIOUS HC CANDIDATE can ignore that...

The best you can get out of contract here is 5 years...and what if leaving Gonzaga means his contract with the school to be HC is null and void? So he takes a few millions and in five years is looking for a job if he cannot please the boosters here because we end up with some serious penalties that cannot be appealed?

Between Robbins and the NCAA this job has about as much stability as old nissan maximas paint job in Tucson...5 years from now it could be nothing but dust and rust, especially if we end up with another end-o-season ban, lose some scholarships or worse NOTHING gets decided this year and we stay in limbo for recruits another year.

Sure Arizona is a marquee program...but its sitting in the garage with oil dripping out of its engine and the garage owner saying take her for a spin the tags are due and no insurance but I know the cops.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

The house is a good bargaining chip.

“But I love the area, I just built this new forever home...”

“So three million?”

“Three million sounds good.”
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:06 pm
gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:02 pm So when do we ask if there is any chance he brings Chet Holmgren with him?
Yes please. Unfortunately that seems really unlikely. I bet he can bring some role players from zaga over. Work the transfer market. Maybe he can get Fanbo Zeng. I'd love chet but I just don't see it. Their whole staff focused on him, not just him
Jesus....just what I want. A coach so loyal that he raids the program he just spent 20 years at. If he was contacted earlier and did not tell Arizona to stand down till the Natty was over I want no part of a person like that. Personally I don't believe any coach with any honor would do that to the program he was working for and I don't know llyod but will give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.
BeardownZonaZona

TheCat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:47 pm
gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:02 pm So when do we ask if there is any chance he brings Chet Holmgren with him?
Yes please. Unfortunately that seems really unlikely. I bet he can bring some role players from zaga over. Work the transfer market. Maybe he can get Fanbo Zeng. I'd love chet but I just don't see it. Their whole staff focused on him, not just him
Jesus....just what I want. A coach so loyal that he raids the program he just spent 20 years at. If he was contacted earlier and did not tell Arizona to stand down till the Natty was over I want no part of a person like that. Personally I don't believe any coach with any honor would do that to the program he was working for and I don't know llyod but will give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.
They just had a guy or two enter the transfer portal. Wouldn't doubt they follow him
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:38 pm
gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:46 pm
CatFanOneMil wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:29 pm I'm gonna make a guess and say Lloyd isn't coming right now either...

If I had just built a new house, was guaranteed the HC job is I stayed, had been entrenched in the community for years and was looking at an offer from a school with a LOT of NCAA baggage over its head and a Prez who doesn't give a fuck about the HC or his players...and ALL of this was in a pandemic...I'd pump the breaks as ANY reasonable person would and say..."Naw, I'll wait it out"...

Remember Gonzaga is a Catholic school...its more than just some basketball hotspot that Few has created...its the same reason Mark has turned down MAJOR bling to stay where he is...its a sweet gig with a focus on other things in life than basketball...I can promise you Lloyd has that in his veins since he's been there so long.

Robbins thinks money can make anything happen so he throws it at everything...problem is, LOTS of people value other things more than millions in the bank...Lloyd is one of them.
So you would turn down a pay raise of multiple proportions at a school with one of the most loyal fan bases and deepest histories on the West Coast because you just built a house and you will be promoted in a decade or two? I can't think of any reasonable person who would turn that down.
Mark Few would turn it down in a heartbeat and I suspect has, if his assistants are anything like him then yes they will turn it down.

You cannot unpolish the turn that Robbins and Heeke have laid in the way they handled Miller, NO SERIOUS HC CANDIDATE can ignore that...

The best you can get out of contract here is 5 years...and what if leaving Gonzaga means his contract with the school to be HC is null and void? So he takes a few millions and in five years is looking for a job if he cannot please the boosters here because we end up with some serious penalties that cannot be appealed?

Between Robbins and the NCAA this job has about as much stability as old nissan maximas paint job in Tucson...5 years from now it could be nothing but dust and rust, especially if we end up with another end-o-season ban, lose some scholarships or worse NOTHING gets decided this year and we stay in limbo for recruits another year.

Sure Arizona is a marquee program...but its sitting in the garage with oil dripping out of its engine and the garage owner saying take her for a spin the tags are due and no insurance but I know the cops.
If you look at what has been said about Llyod by the Zag's AD the contrast is startling. There is a ton of trust built up there and many folks will not walk away from that easily. Especially when they see trust would be impossible to build with this Administration.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:45 pm The house is a good bargaining chip.

“So three million?”

No married man builds a house by himself and stays married...if you think Lloyds wife has nothing to say in this decision you don't know jack shit about how marriages work.

SHE just got her dream home...

I'm not saying thats enough to stop a deal, but it is certainly enough to pump the brakes.

It's possible they have discussed his desire to be a head coach, that is the goal after all and this is a great stepping stone opportunity towards that goal...it seems like a faster track and if he really believes in his own skillset he will accept the offer because while Gonzaga is a great school for basketball, it is MARK FEWS school and will remain that forever...even after he retires, same as this is Lute Olson's school...

But make no mistake, if the Admin with Heeke and Robbins shit the bed with Lloyd it will be years before our program rises from the ashes...

This is an important moment in both the head coach and the administrations life...its a razor thin margin for everyone.

It sounds like everyone is pretty much decided it IS Lloyd...we shall see.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

My wife has her dream house now too. Until I become head coach of the Arizona Fucking Wildcats.

Gtfo with that shit.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:31 pm My wife has her dream house now too. Until I become head coach of the Arizona Fucking Wildcats.

Gtfo with that shit.
Hahahaha
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am getting a kick out of the Gonzaga fan forum because I can see us doing the same thing. Rationalizing without knowing what is happening. For one they have no idea who Robbins and Heeke are, and how our president and AD are absolute jerks. Then they believe that UA is going to be sanctioned severely, not realizing the hatchet job by ESPN.

Institutional control is the real issue with Book Richardson. That is the only thing Miller did wrong, not firing him after the ACE incident and PointGuardU. It cost him a lifetime job as UA's coach.

I believe we might receive another season ban and a couple lost scholarships for a couple of years. As for the University I don't know. CSM will get on his feet again soon.
BeardownZonaZona

Catintheheat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:52 pm I am getting a kick out of the Gonzaga fan forum because I can see us doing the same thing. Rationalizing without knowing what is happening. For one they have no idea who Robbins and Heeke are, and how our president and AD are absolute jerks. Then they believe that UA is going to be sanctioned severely, not realizing the hatchet job by ESPN.

Institutional control is the real issue with Book Richardson. That is the only thing Miller did wrong, not firing him after the ACE incident and PointGuardU. It cost him a lifetime job as UA's coach.

I believe we might receive another season ban and a couple lost scholarships for a couple of years. As for the University I don't know. CSM will get on his feet again soon.
Agreed. If I knew nothing and only read what their fans are saying I'd think we were about to be bannen from the whole NCAA. They make it out as if Miller murdered about 20 people
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:56 pm
Catintheheat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:52 pm I am getting a kick out of the Gonzaga fan forum because I can see us doing the same thing. Rationalizing without knowing what is happening. For one they have no idea who Robbins and Heeke are, and how our president and AD are absolute jerks. Then they believe that UA is going to be sanctioned severely, not realizing the hatchet job by ESPN.

Agreed. If I knew nothing and only read what their fans are saying I'd think we were about to be bannen from the whole NCAA. They make it out as if Miller murdered about 20 people
This is the ESPN lie effect. They murdered the fuck out of his rep.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Can we get a show cause decision on Robbins?
BeardownZonaZona

So anyone got any ideas when this could be announced? Tomorrow maybe?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:26 pm So anyone got any ideas when this could be announced? Tomorrow maybe?
Monday
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:26 pm So anyone got any ideas when this could be announced? Tomorrow maybe?
As soon as everyone announces they will transfer out
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:30 pm
Monday
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It’s going to be pants-shitting hilarious if Tommy Boy turns us down.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I'm personally fine with this. And kind of excited to see what he can do. Sure it's a flier, but this decision has merit. And it beats the F out of a retread, which is what we would have ended up with given the situation w/the NCAA.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

1stNGrant Frys wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:43 pm I'm not as wise on coaching acumen as most of you all, so how would you assess Lloyd in these 5 traits?

There is only one attribute that matters to this Athletic Dept and our University President.

WIN THE PRESS CONFERENCE......PERIOD.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dosia wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 pm Sounds like Lloyd is pretty much a done deal. Just have to hope for the best. Bear down
Ahhhh, the old remnants of Ace Thakore's PointGuardU which had no UA press credentials and ended up causing Book to get suspended by Book passing Ace information that other sites didn't have.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Merkin wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:04 am
Ahhhh, the old remnants of Ace Thakore's PointGuardU which had no UA press credentials and ended up causing Book to get suspended by Book passing Ace information that other sites didn't have.
Which is the specific event that probably should've got Book fired, avoiding ALL THIS.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:26 pm

“So three million?”

No married man builds a house by himself and stays married...if you think Lloyds wife has nothing to say in this decision you don't know jack shit about how marriages work.

Step 1: go to Zillow
Step 2: search homes in Tucson that you can afford when guaranteed 15m over the next five years

Now what was that you were saying about Tommy’s wife and her dream home?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So the Oregon press says it’s Damon. So WTF is it people?
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
BeardownZonaZona

azcat49 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:17 am So the Oregon press says it’s Damon. Do WTF is it people?
I think that's just wishful thinking. At least I'm hoping so
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

RaisingArizona wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:15 am
CatFanOneMil wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:26 pm

“So three million?”

Step 1: go to Zillow
Step 2: search homes in Tucson that you can afford when guaranteed 15m over the next five years

Now what was that you were saying about Tommy’s wife and her dream home?
They could afford any house in tucson and still not need to sell their dream home
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:17 am So the Oregon press says it’s Damon. So WTF is it people?
It makes me sad to say this, bc I loved Damon as a player, but Miller to Damon would be a laughable downgrade.

With Lloyd, you don't really know because he's never been a HC. He seems like a bright guy and can pick it up.

Damon's been a HC for 5 years. He has one winning season, an overall win % of .480, is coming off a 9-9 season and did all that at Pacific.

The only people who could be happy about that are people who think any alum is awesome. Nothing about the remainder of his resume is close.

Like the lady on FB who said Damon would get big time recruits the right way. Overlooking that Damon was on staff at Arizona recruiting alongside the guys who got us into recruiting trouble from 2013-15.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

TheCat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:47 pm
Did you have a problem when Sean Miller did it?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:38 am
azcat49 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:17 am So the Oregon press says it’s Damon. So WTF is it people?
It makes me sad to say this, bc I loved Damon as a player, but Miller to Damon would be a laughable downgrade.

With Lloyd, you don't really know because he's never been a HC. He seems like a bright guy and can pick it up.

Damon's been a HC for 5 years. He has one winning season, an overall win % of .480, is coming off a 9-9 season and did all that at Pacific.

The only people who could be happy about that are people who think any alum is awesome. Nothing about the remainder of his resume is close.

Like the lady on FB who said Damon would get big time recruits the right way. Overlooking that Damon was on staff at Arizona recruiting alongside the guys who got us into recruiting trouble from 2013-15.
If we're firing Miller, give me someone who -- at the very least -- is coming from a program that has recently been deep in the tournament. This is where Lloyd gets the edge over Damon, Miles and any other AZ name you wanna throw in. Lloyd isn't Few; we know that. But he has been by Few's side for the entire rise of that program, and he's also been a key part of their recruiting success. That is vastly more appealing to me than hiring someone simply because they were a great player under Lute and have shown early potential in low-profile coaching roles.

I love Damon, but he is not the answer.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Lets be real, no one is turning down what could be the difference between at the absolute least $800K (assuming Tommy Lloyd is the highest paid assistant in CBB, which he is not) and $3M a year to sit around and wait for a coach for 10-15 years because they have a "dream home". Most likely Tommy is making around $200-$300K a year. That's just an asinine argument. Culture and a company buying into you only goes so far for any sane man. The only thing that would get Tommy to stay would be Few saying he was going to retire in the next 5 years.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I see nothing on this anywhere, other than re-reporting Damon interviewed.

I only found this, guy from the Oregonian saying it should be Damon
Sounds like wishful thinking, not reporting its Damon. I hope it's not Damon.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:08 am
If Damon Stoudamire's name was Joe Stoudamire with his resume he would not even be considered for the GCU job. The only people that want Damon at Arizona are people who know nothing about basketball and other schools hoping we fail into obscurity.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:10 am
If Damon Stoudamire's name was Joe Stoudamire with his resume he would not even be considered for the GCU job.
Exactly. To be honest, I don't even like Luke Walton as a candidate. Look at his track record. He's lost spectacularly everywhere he's coached. At present, he's stinking it up in Sacramento.

I love Luke. He's one of my all-time favorite Wildcats. But his coaching is dubious af.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

This thread is just so hilarious!!!

For some years now, "some" people here have been saying how Mark Few is such a better coach than Miller. Now we have people saying that Lloyd is the one who has really been running the program, not Few, so we should just jump to hire him ASAP. Fkn mind boggling to me.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:38 am

I have to agree with you Spiff. Further, I have not felt that there is a former Arizona player capable of making the transition from player to coach since the early 90's. I don't think that they actually paid attention to the little things involved with being a coach. They were too busy being players and focusing on the path to the NBA.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Except TJ. He will make an excellent coach someday
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:19 am This thread is just so hilarious!!!

For some years now, "some" people here have been saying how Mark Few is such a better coach than Miller. Now we have people saying that Lloyd is the one who has really been running the program, not Few, so we should just jump to hire him ASAP. Fkn mind boggling to me.
I have not heard one person say Lloyd is a great hire and better then Few. I and others have stated based on the shit sandwich we were dealt, the best outcome of the choices of Pastner, Simon, Stoudamire and Lloyd is far an away Lloyd. Eric Musselman is the only realistic option that would be what I consider a "good" hire, but apparently we aren't going down that street.

What I find hilarious is 12 years ago we were discussing whether we should go after Few or not, now we have some people arguing that we can't even land Few's assistant.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:12 am
If Damon Stoudamire's name was Joe Stoudamire with his resume he would not even be considered for the GCU job.
Exactly. To be honest, I don't even like Luke Walton as a candidate. Look at his track record. He's lost spectacularly everywhere he's coached. At present, he's stinking it up in Sacramento.

I love Luke. He's one of my all-time favorite Wildcats. But his coaching is dubious af.
There's no one with Arizona ties that's good enough to coach Arizona. Maybe Kerr but he hates college and recruiting.

And there's no Brad Stevens, Thad Matta, Billy Donovan, etc out there that's young and on the rise.

Lloyd is probably the best candidate Arizona could get even if this whole Miller/FBI/Book situation wasn't happening.

Who else is out there? All the past hot shot young coaches have flamed out in recent years.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:12 am

He did well when he took over for Kerr.
The NBA is a lot about players.
IMO you go into playoffs if you have players. The coach can give you a boost, and a top coach can take you to the top
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Muss has a $5 million buyout at Arkansas. After paying Sumlin's and Miller's buyouts, we don't have the cash to afford Muss. Sad, but true.

Lloyd has been a career assistant. We know nothing about how he would handle the big chair. Jim Rosborough was one of the best assistants Arizona ever had. Lute's right hand man, and helped us win many games. But would I want Ros to ever lead the program? Great guy, great basketball mind, but just not right to be a head coach. Would have been a disaster. Truth is, we have no idea if Lloyd will be the next Roy Williams who went from UNC assistant to Kansas, or the next Ros.

With that said, Lloyd is likely our best option. And that's sad to say, going from Miller, a guy who even with a FBI cloud hanging overhead, built a tournament quality team last year, and a bubble team this year, even after the rug was pulled out from underneath when we declared a self-imposed 1-year post season ban. That's impressive coaching.

I also don't understand those who said the last few years didn't live up to Arizona quality basketball. Yes, we played only 1 NCAA game, and lost to Buffalo, who ended up shooting 50% from 3 that game. Anyone remember Buffalo's next game? A true regression to the mean, as they shot only 22% from deep, and lost by 20 to Kentucky. If Buffalo shoots their average against us, it's a close game. If Buffalo shoots like they did against Kentucky against us, we win going away. But it's just the nature of the 1 loss tournament. The 1 game we played against Buffalo, they did shoot 50% from 3, and beat us. It's part of what makes March Madness so much fun.

The last two years, Miller should get an incomplete. We were no worse than a 7-seed, with a chance to move up if we made a run in Vegas before the entire tournament gets canceled. This year, we were on the bubble and beat CAL in Vegas, we play UCLA to try and secure a spot, and even if we lost, still had a chance. As this year's tournament proved, anyone in the field other then 16 seeds have a chance to get to a Sweet 16. Could have been us the last two years? We'll never know.

And now, with Miller's best roster in 5 years returning, we pull the plug? And replace Miller with either a career assistant with no head coaching experience, or an alum with a less than .500 overall record that wouldn't get a sniff if he wasn't an alum? Stupid.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

There are rumblings of 2nd thoughts by Lloyd.
BeardownZonaZona

UofAlum05 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:55 am There are rumblings of 2nd thoughts by Lloyd.
Was gonna say the same thing... Damon Stoudamire better not be our coach
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

What about Gregg Marshall? I mean...we are about to venture into a dark period for the program. He has some baggage I know, but what better place (and time) to prove yourself worthy of another HC position by fixing yourself while rebuilding a program?
Last edited by Basketcats on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If Damon is the hire, it means the AZ job is about as appealing as moldy pizza.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If Damon Stoudamire's name was Joe Stoudamire with his resume he would not even be considered for the GCU job. The only people that want Damon at Arizona are people who know nothing about basketball and other schools hoping we fail into obscurity.
I'm going to go ahead and put you down for "On the fence".