Thoughts on who would be worth a try as new coach

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCat

Thoughts on who would be worth a try as new coach

Post by TheCat »

I can not think of many realistic coaches but I will throw out one.

Brian Dutcher at San Diego State. He has a winning percentage of (.756) as a head coach. Small sample size but he is 96-31 as a head coach. Instrumental in recruiting the FAB 5 at Michigan and brought in Kawhi Leonard to SDSU. Thought he had a real chance at the Michigan job before Howard got it. Steve Fisher made him the coach in waiting and San Diego State agreed.
U.P. Zona Fan

Re: Thoughts on who would be worth a try as new coach

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:31 am Why aren't we talking about Bryce Drew?

He's done really well against his league, his brother just rehabbed a program in way worse shape than ours with way less tradition and took them to a Natty.

The Lopes made the tourney this year, the fans love him, can't believe nobody has mentioned his name.

Forgive me if someone has but I can't remember his name coming up recently.
I put this in the tommy lloyd thread but it fits better here.

Ps I don't know anything about this stuff, but it makes me feel better to throw darts at a map with a blindfold on.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Arizona is the second-best job in the Pac-12, behind UCLA
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Realistically, I feel we are bound for a mid-major conference assistant head coach type. With all the money that has had to have been shelled out this year and the stupid pandemic knee capping funds, UofA can't afford to swing for the fences.

Honestly, I would like to see Ben Howland get a shot. Not a popular choice I know.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Pretty sure Miles Simon wants the job. That's a not for me. Whole administration would have to hide their wives
I said what I said and I mean it.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

It appears that Heeke, excuse me...Robbins, has already picked the new coach so this is probably a moot discussion.

That being said, I think that the UA will have to settle for a Non-Elite coach for several reasons.

1) We are broke
2) The IARP/NCAA mess is still hanging over our heads. Not too many elite coaches want to deal with someone elses dirty laundry
3) Most elite coaches probably don't appreciate the way Miller has been treated by the UA admin.

In 2018 I suggested parting ways with Miller, self sanctioning and pursuing either Musselman or Beard. Unfortunately, that ship sailed and both Musselman & Beard are in much better positions. Getting either one away from Arkansas/Texas would be very difficult and financially painful.

I like Mark Pope.

We can afford him and he has a solid track record.
ekat

Post by ekat »

In fairness, opening up the vault here would reveal nothing but cobwebs and dust at this point.

I take Wilner’s opinion with a mountain of salt since he hates Arizona so much.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Was listening to Jody Oehler this morning and he had Goodman on. Goodman saying he thinks it would be someone like Damon or Lloyd. After he got off Oehler gave his remarks and was spot on. Oehler wasn't sold on any of the guys Goodman recommended. At this point, I'd let Murphy just grind out next year and then have more options for a long term shot at a coach. Are we really going to get a long term coach that is a good fit for us by rushing to get a hire right now? Our core group is probably going to transfer, but if they let Murphy just keep the interim job for next year I think we have a better pool of candidates to choose from.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I don't want a year of Murphy-as-interim. It just slows down our recovery. If we can get Lloyd or Musselman or Pope right now, do it.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Man those Mussleman trajectories look really good. Interesting.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SCCats wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:36 am
Musselman has proven he can win. Granted, I've never been to Fayetteville, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Tucson is a more desirable place to be, for a variety of reasons. UofA is also a considerable step up from Arkansas.

Still, it would very much surprise me to see him leave, unless the UofA could offer him a sizable pay raise.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:41 am
Musselman has proven he can win. Granted, I've never been to Fayetteville, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Tucson is a more desirable place to be, for a variety of reasons. UofA is also a considerable step up from Arkansas.

Still, it would very much surprise me to see him leave, unless the UofA could offer him a sizable pay raise.

Same with Drew in Waco, and Few in Spokane. Not very desirable places, at least for me. Spokane is probably a nice city, but in the middle of nowhere and winter seems like half the year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:50 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:41 am

Same with Drew in Waco, and Few in Spokane. Not very desirable places, at least for me. Spokane is probably a nice city, but in the middle of nowhere and winter seems like half the year.
I'd say the difference is that Drew has now won Baylor's first title in school history, and Few's name is synonymous with Gonzaga hoops. He is their Lute. So you're talking about two guys who've taken their respective programs to heights hitherto unknown. It is VERY unlikely guys like this would leave for another job, unless it's their alma mater, which UofA is not.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:14 am I don't want a year of Murphy-as-interim. It just slows down our recovery. If we can get Lloyd or Musselman or Pope right now, do it.
It would be like Russ Pennell but I feel it's an upgrade from that. If we get handed more sanctions does it even matter who the coach is? If we go hire some mediocre coach and then find out we have more sanctions, we might as well have Murphy around and then really go after a coach we want that is elite when things start to clear up. I've accepted the fact that no matter who comes in next year, we are going to be bad.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I would take Musselman in a heartbeat but I just don't think he is a realistic target.

First we would need to outbid an SEC school........highly unlikely given the UA's financial position
Second, Musselman would have to want to move to a school with potential NCAA sanctions about to fall...not too many elite coaches go for that.

He is certainly worth making inquires.........but I would not get my hopes up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If the decision is a quick one (early next week), I don’t think anyone transfers yet. To many kids in the portal already. Look at the football kids
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:16 am If the decision is a quick one (early next week), I don’t think anyone transfers yet. To many kids in the portal already. Look at the football kids
As much as I would want the players to stick around, I feel like they've all been cheated and the process has been dishonest. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of them go regardless of who comes in, unless it is a home run hire.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:16 am If the decision is a quick one (early next week), I don’t think anyone transfers yet. To many kids in the portal already. Look at the football kids
The guys we don't want to lose would have no problem finding a home even if there were 5000 people in the portal.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yeah. Musselman makes no sense. Timing is wrong.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:50 am Same with Drew in Waco, and Few in Spokane. Not very desirable places, at least for me. Spokane is probably a nice city, but in the middle of nowhere and winter seems like half the year.
Due to odd travel arrangements, I drove through Spokane once. I stopped for gas, and being a sports fan, took a little side trip to look at the Gonzaga campus. My impression was not good. I assume the surrounding countryside is fairly nice, with some rolling hills and woods. But my recollection of Spokane was pretty flat, with not that many trees, and kind of economically depressed. Just lots of low-end strip malls. Their convention center/arena seems to be the social center, and their campus seemed to mostly consist of converted old houses. So the Zags are everything there, and I'm sure they've got an "us against the world" mentality. But there's nothing else for hundreds of miles in any direction. And that was in the nicest time of the year without dealing with the endless winter. It's all about the cult of Few. Beats me how he's done it, but I wouldn't bet a nickel that whoever succeeds him can maintain what he's done there.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

phxcat23 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 am Was listening to Jody Oehler this morning and he had Goodman on. Goodman saying he thinks it would be someone like Damon or Lloyd. After he got off Oehler gave his remarks and was spot on. Oehler wasn't sold on any of the guys Goodman recommended. At this point, I'd let Murphy just grind out next year and then have more options for a long term shot at a coach. Are we really going to get a long term coach that is a good fit for us by rushing to get a hire right now? Our core group is probably going to transfer, but if they let Murphy just keep the interim job for next year I think we have a better pool of candidates to choose from.
Uh, nope. If you don't make a hire within a week -- your whole roster collapses. Nobody is coming to Tucson to play for interim coach Jack Murphy for a season. And nobody is renewing their season tickets for that product on the hallowed floor of McKale.

Musselman, Lloyd, and Stoudamire. Right now, those are the options and the only options. And if Robbins didn't have some type of acknowledgement from any of those three before he fired Miller, well then, he's a bigger idiot than anyone thought.

I don't think Arizona will be in Tim Floyd, Jim Boylen territory. Stoudamire would take the job in a heartbeat. But my guess is that he's a third or fourth option.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

zonagrad wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:01 pm
phxcat23 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 am Was listening to Jody Oehler this morning and he had Goodman on. Goodman saying he thinks it would be someone like Damon or Lloyd. After he got off Oehler gave his remarks and was spot on. Oehler wasn't sold on any of the guys Goodman recommended. At this point, I'd let Murphy just grind out next year and then have more options for a long term shot at a coach. Are we really going to get a long term coach that is a good fit for us by rushing to get a hire right now? Our core group is probably going to transfer, but if they let Murphy just keep the interim job for next year I think we have a better pool of candidates to choose from.
Uh, nope. If you don't make a hire within a week -- your whole roster collapses. Nobody is coming to Tucson to play for interim coach Jack Murphy for a season. And nobody is renewing their season tickets for that product on the hallowed floor of McKale.

Musselman, Lloyd, and Stoudamire. Right now, those are the options and the only options. And if Robbins didn't have some type of acknowledgement from any of those three before he fired Miller, well then, he's a bigger idiot than anyone thought.

I don't think Arizona will be in Tim Floyd, Jim Boylen territory. Stoudamire would take the job in a heartbeat. But my guess is that he's a third or fourth option.
Stoudamire is not Tim Floyd, Jim Boylen territory?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

zonagrad wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:01 pm Uh, nope. If you don't make a hire within a week -- your whole roster collapses. Nobody is coming to Tucson to play for interim coach Jack Murphy for a season. And nobody is renewing their season tickets for that product on the hallowed floor of McKale.

Unless something changed, you need to keep the position open for 2 weeks under state law.

Job opened today https://arizona.csod.com/ux/ats/careers ... ?c=arizona

I saw someone selling their season tickets on FB, but not the rights to them, which cost an additional $10K.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:21 pm
zonagrad wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:01 pm Uh, nope. If you don't make a hire within a week -- your whole roster collapses. Nobody is coming to Tucson to play for interim coach Jack Murphy for a season. And nobody is renewing their season tickets for that product on the hallowed floor of McKale.

Unless something changed, you need to keep the position open for 2 weeks under state law.

Job opened https://arizona.csod.com/ux/ats/careers ... ?c=arizona

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ekat

Post by ekat »

Job opened today https://arizona.csod.com/ux/ats/careers ... ?c=arizona

I saw someone selling their season tickets on FB, but not the rights to them, which cost an additional $10K.
It’s an open till filled posting, so the 10 day requirement doesn’t apply. The university has weird rules around that, and around head coaching jobs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So the Carter gif means they've already got a verbal agreement with someone, I'm guessing.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:23 pm

So what's every ones thought on the 2nd tweet. The search is over and we got our guy?
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

84Cat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:27 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:23 pm

So what's every ones thought on the 2nd tweet. The search is over and we got our guy?
Thats how I read it
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Yup. That's how I took it
I said what I said and I mean it.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I can’t seen him hiring an AZ GUY.
Doesn’t fit the ego trip. Just like football.
Also can’t see anyone from Miller’s staff being kept around. But I feel like there was a 🥕 shown to the staff, since nobody has commented.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I took it as Turnkey's search process is asking Robbins who he wants then saying that is who they recommend and presenting a bill for $200K.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I did reach out to both the JET and Murphy before Sean was fired and neither has answered.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Look, this won't happen in a million years, but easily the best coach with Arizona ties who would take a step up here is Joe Pasternack.

Arizona ties either means guys like Kerr who would never do it or guys who don't deserve it, and Pasternack is the only exception.

This also will never happen in a million years.
ekat

Post by ekat »

I say we go all in on the USC/ASsU model of hiring the dads of recruits as Assistant coaches, and just elevate them to Head coach and staff. Rotate every time a new recruit catches your eye.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:39 am Look, this won't happen in a million years, but easily the best coach with Arizona ties who would take a step up here is Joe Pasternack.

Arizona ties either means guys like Kerr who would never do it or guys who don't deserve it, and Pasternack is the only exception.

I was confused already this week about why Joe Pasternack doesn't seem to be in consideration. Is he caught up in the scandal too?
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:43 am
I like Mark Pope.

We can afford him and he has a solid track record.
I'm alright with hiring Mark Pope.

Will also play the waiting game with Murphy as temporary HC through next season.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bruins01 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:43 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:39 am Look, this won't happen in a million years, but easily the best coach with Arizona ties who would take a step up here is Joe Pasternack.

I was confused already this week about why Joe Pasternack doesn't seem to be in consideration. Is he caught up in the scandal too?
He's named in the FBI reports, not in the NCAA NOA. So he's safe to hire, but the ties to Miller and being in the FBI reports make for zero chance.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other on Mark Pope? Just trying to look beyond the group we're already aware of. How about Greg McDermott?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:55 pm Anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other on Mark Pope? Just trying to look beyond the group we're already aware of. How about Greg McDermott?
Both would be way ahead of the alumns we are interviewing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:55 pm Anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other on Mark Pope? Just trying to look beyond the group we're already aware of. How about Greg McDermott?
Pope has done well in a limited history. McDermott is a solid coach whose biggest problem is FBI link and the race issue this last year.
ekat

Post by ekat »

McDermott’s got his own NOA to deal with at Creighton. Plus the whole plantation comments have turned people off.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

azgreg wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:13 pm Job's posted.

https://arizona.csod.com/ux/ats/careers ... ?c=arizona
I need a couple letters of recommendation. Anyone interested in supplying me with one?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m going to apply since I have just as much head coaching experience as Booby Bobbins’ favored son.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

They usually don't post the opening until they get their guy right?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

All courtesy interviews I hope.