Kerr Kriisa

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

prh

Re: Kerr Kriisa

Post by prh »

They better be assembling all sports PTs and sports docs in Tucson lol. My sports doc does stem cell treatment and has worked with Bama football and a bunch of others. Work some miracles guys
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

97cats wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:26 pm
Alieberman wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:20 pm You all think Kerr is going to let this end his season?

He’s not done
see i dont think hes done, not by a long shot. if anyone cared less about themselves and their own self preservation less than Kriisa please show them to me. he would pull a Kevin McHale and ruin his career (if Lloyd would let him which he wont) and play bone on bone just to help the TEAM.

he is a total warrior but regardless lateral movement and explosion on jumpers and with the ball will be effected, tough or not, and i worry not that he wont play or try, he most certainly will, its how effective can he be without taking away from the TEAM.
This is the KEY point here. If he cant get his shot off then were playing 4 on 5 on both ends.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I got hammered drunk one time in vegas and they had this magical shop below MGM that gave you fluids. Got a bag and was good to go that night!

Maybe with everything there is in Vegas they have a shop just for turned ankles. :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:31 pm I got hammered drunk one time in vegas....
come on, John - that wasnt just that one time.......
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:20 pm You all think Kerr is going to let this end his season?

He’s not done
see i dont think hes done, not by a long shot. if anyone cared less about themselves and their own self preservation less than Kriisa please show them to me. he would pull a Kevin McHale and ruin his career (if Lloyd would let him which he wont) and play bone on bone just to help the TEAM.

he is a total warrior but regardless lateral movement and explosion on jumpers and with the ball will be effected, tough or not, and i worry not that he wont play or try, he most certainly will, its how effective can he be without taking away from the TEAM.
Absolutely. Go back to what CSM said about Kriisa on that podcast. He wasn't afraid of competing and in fact embraces it. I can't wait for all of the dimwits to write their articles or get on shows and talk about how Arizona is now dead. I think it will make him heal faster and it will certainly give this team another incentive to show everyone wrong.

But the thing that hasn't been mentioned is that our kick-ass trainer Kokoskie will not put him out there until he's ready. It feels like CTL will rely on that more than anything.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:54 pm

Absolutely. Go back to what CSM said about Kriisa on that podcast. He wasn't afraid of competing and in fact embraces it. I can't wait for all of the dimwits to write their articles or get on shows and talk about how Arizona is now dead. I think it will make him heal faster and it will certainly give this team another incentive to show everyone wrong.

But the thing that hasn't been mentioned is that our kick-ass trainer Kokoskie will not put him out there until he's ready. It feels like CTL will rely on that more than anything.
good post i totally agree and now its time to trust the team doctors and the head man, as you know i am in favor of having him rest as much as possible heading into the NCAA's
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

This is how you leave in a wheelchair!

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

97cats wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:57 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:54 pm

good post i totally agree and now its time to trust the team doctors and the head man, as you know i am in favor of having him rest as much as possible heading into the NCAA's
I would be ecstatic if all he needed was a week off to be primed for the big dance. Fuckkk the p12 tournament and these one or two more games. I think we should stay positive though.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:01 pm This is how you leave in a wheelchair!

Well when you have to poop it's justifiable
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Because I think he will come back and play this year I am more worried about the fact we let Stanford shoot almost 60% in the second half. They shot better than everyone we played all year. Not good timing on that
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Being optimistic, i am going to take it as a good sign that he is leaving on the team bus and not headed to the hospital for an mri/x ray.

(Or does T mobile have those on site… or it is pointless to do either because of the swelling?)
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:20 pm Because I think he will come back and play this year I am more worried about the fact we let Stanford shoot almost 60% in the second half. They shot better than everyone we played all year. Not good timing on that
I think you are wrong. This is not a tell-tale sign. Stanford made EVERYTHING and played above their usual. Shit, they were making double-pump, step back 3's over people.

And I give them credit and tip my hat.

But our defense wasn't different than any other game. That's what happens this time of year.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:20 pm Because I think he will come back and play this year I am more worried about the fact we let Stanford shoot almost 60% in the second half. They shot better than everyone we played all year. Not good timing on that
People always shoot out of their minds against us. But just like that Illinois game where they made a bunch of heat checks, if should be more amazing that Arizona can overcome these unbelievable shooting nights from other teams.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The 3 is the only thing other teams can do against us… they aren’t scoring in the paint. If teams are shooting lights out from 3 it will be a game. If not we crush them
prh

Post by prh »

That's a career game for Jones and probably the best Stanford has shot all season. Not worried about the ridiculous shots they hit today
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Agreed on tipping your hat to Furd but we need to up our play on that end because we let a team shoot like that in the 16 or 8 game and we won’t survive. Hopefully tomorrow we can hold CU below 40%
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

Also remember that it is very tough to beat someone 3 times in a season, and that's a huge advantage to the lesser team. They should be getting closer and closer. Case in point, our women against them last year
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

prh wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:55 pm That's a career game for Jones and probably the best Stanford has shot all season. Not worried about the ridiculous shots they hit today
It's the third time Furd shot over 50%. They won the other two.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It is a testament to our talent that we won against that type of shooting exhibition.

I thought we played really pretty good in most areas of the game but they just kept hitting tough shots and staying confident.

Tomorrow’s game should be outstanding. CU will play with great confidence and will be ready for us. We know we will get their best shot and it should prepare us well for the first two rounds of next week’s tournament, at least from understanding our opponents mentality
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

He’s not done

Jim Rappis.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Should show the team the Kevin ware injury from 2013 and then they can rally around Kerr like that Louisville team did and won the Natty!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think this game showed we don't panic when it is close. Guys did not play outside the offense they just kept plugging.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

https://theathletic.com/3176405/2022/03 ... ed_article

Makes me sad…
The angst is understandable. The angst is justifiable. Kerr Kriisa hopped off a wheelchair in the middle of the afternoon Thursday, under the sun but with clouds building around him, and hopped on one foot toward the bus doors. He needed helping hands in front of him and some support from the back to maintain balance as he climbed the stairs. Then Arizona’s point guard shuffled in, disappearing behind the tinted windows, everyone very much wondering when they’ll see him next.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I have all the angst in the world for both Bay Area schools.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:42 pm I have all the angst in the world for both Bay Area schools.
Stanford is always the same every year - bull in a china shop
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

97cats wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:45 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:42 pm I have all the angst in the world for both Bay Area schools.
Stanford is always the same every year - bull in a china shop
Which makes sense bc that's how Haase played.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Oregon State and the Tinkle kids actively tried to hurt Arizona players but yeah F the NorCal Schools.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

In an interview with McLean, Lloyd said Mathurin was his best player but Kerr was his most important player.

When we lose it seems that the other team jammed snd clogged the lane and dared us to beat them from three. When we tried and missed, they just kept sagging and digging down on our bigs.

Kerr brought attitude and the threat for the three. That’s what we will miss over the next few games. He will be back though
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

The Kerr injury was a result of him landing on a jump pass on Koloko's foot and ankle bending in.

However, the way they box out aggressively lead to some horrible falls from other players, Koloko had a particularly bad fall when it looked like he was undercut in a box out.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:12 pm In an interview with McLean, Lloyd said Mathurin was his best player but Kerr was his most important player.

When we lose it seems that the other team jammed snd clogged the lane and dared us to beat them from three. When we tried and missed, they just kept sagging and digging down on our bigs.

Kerr brought attitude and the threat for the three. That’s what we will miss over the next few games. He will be back though
Agree 100% with this except I'd add he also is easily our best distributor and PG defender.

PG is probably your most important role and there really isn't a replacement. Kier is more a combo, and a downgrade in distribution and defense. Kerr's the hardest player for us to work around both because of what he brings and the fact we don't have near as easy a patch as we do for other guys.

If you lose Mathurin, you elevate Larsson and tell Tubelis and Terry they need to look to score more. Lose Tubelis or Koloko and Ballo has a bigger role and you play Terry at the 4 a lot. Losing Kerr, the solution is nowhere near as simple.

And damn, I hope he's back, but that injury looked so bad.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the day after for the player is always the most telling day especially with ankle injuries. after we all hear exactly how bad it was and how he feels today you just dont know. high ankle is a killer whether you get it not so bad or really bad its difficult to return from. a lower or mid ankle heals faster and responds to tape and protocol quicker.

anyway you slice it not ideal for Arizona - but one guy who could pound through and be effective is BIG Balls Kriisa - he prob has a different tolerance for pain.

fuck Vegas and fuck the smart kids - rest rehab rest rehab.....
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

How do you think we will hear the news today? Do you think it will come from a leak or will CTL say something?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

From internet doctors and message board geeks
97cats

Post by 97cats »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:15 am How do you think we will hear the news today? Do you think it will come from a leak or will CTL say something?
i think there will be something that reports how hes moving and by walkthrough the media will know - if hes in a boot they will ask whats the prognosis.

for him, waking up this morning and how the ankle is today is big for the overall recovery whatever the severity of the sprain...with todays medicine if you get to it early and properly you can mitigate some of the impact long term but its all incumbent on how bad the sprain actually was, every body and player is different.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:10 am the day after for the player is always the most telling day especially with ankle injuries. after we all hear exactly how bad it was and how he feels today you just dont know. high ankle is a killer whether you get it not so bad or really bad its difficult to return from. a lower or mid ankle heals faster and responds to tape and protocol quicker.

anyway you slice it not ideal for Arizona - but one guy who could pound through and be effective is BIG Balls Kriisa - he prob has a different tolerance for pain.

fuck Vegas and fuck the smart kids - rest rehab rest rehab.....
I worry about a high ankle (this is peak broscience by the way) because rolling it in usually seems more likely to produce a high ankle sprain where rolling outward gives a low sprain.

Like when Solo rolled LeBron up last year, it took LeBron over a month and that was an internal roll leading to a higher injury. High ankles...it's alkost better to break your ankle.

So many variables, it's hard to tell. A break or high ankle sprain and I'd be surprised if he plays again this year...maybe Final Four if we make it, but unlikely. Low ankle sprain and maybe he makes it back for the round of 32 (no belief Lloyd would rush him into a 1/16 matchup).
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:43 am
I worry about a high ankle (this is peak broscience by the way) because rolling it in usually seems more likely to produce a high ankle sprain where rolling outward gives a low sprain.

Like when Solo rolled LeBron up last year, it took LeBron over a month and that was an internal roll leading to a higher injury. High ankles...it's almost better to break your ankle.

So many variables, it's hard to tell. A break or high ankle sprain and I'd be surprised if he plays again this year...maybe Final Four if we make it, but unlikely. Low ankle sprain and maybe he makes it back for the round of 32 (no belief Lloyd would rush him into a 1/16 matchup).
good post i agree something else to consider, Kriisa isnt 6'9 270lbs so the impact on that part of the body during recovery and the ultimately playing on the floor is different to a certain extent, from impact to playing with pain. a larger man has problems with it like Bill Walton, Greg Oden, Kevin McHale, etc while smaller guys like Isaiah Thomas or Steph Curry can come back immediately and get by.

high ankle or a break and its an issue, otherwise wait till the second game of the NCAA's and even then as fans we should curb our expectations for him out of the gate.

there is a gigantic difference between 100% healthy and in peak season form and coming back cold on a bum wheel.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Well he landed on Koloko's feet off a jump and rolling it in. Almost bearing full weight on it after the jump.

Kind of crazy how I can't find a clip anywhere, probably because it was on a shit network that no one gets in the middle of the day.

This is the only thing I could find -- STARTS AT 21:09 IF IT DOESNT TAKE YOU DIRECTLY TO THE THE TIMESTAMP

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:04 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:43 am

Like when Solo rolled LeBron up last year, it took LeBron over a month and that was an internal roll leading to a higher injury. High ankles...it's almost better to break your ankle.

good post i agree something else to consider, Kriisa isnt 6'9 270lbs so the impact on that part of the body during recovery and the ultimately playing on the floor is different to a certain extent, from impact to playing with pain. a larger man has problems with it like Bill Walton, Greg Oden, Kevin McHale, etc while smaller guys like Isaiah Thomas or Steoh Curry can come back immediately and get by.

high ankle or a break and its an issue, otherwise wait till the second game of the NCAA's and even then as fans we should curb our expectations for him out of the gate.

there is a gigantic difference between 100% healthy and in peak season form and coming back cold on a bum wheel.
With a guard, you have to worry more about whether he can handle changes of direction and less about the pounding you talk about with bigger guys.

A break, it's just not healing in time. A high ankle, and I struggle to see how he acquires enough lateral mobility to not be a liability even if he can play through the pain.

A more generic sprain and I think you're dead on that it can be managed with aggressive rehab and controlling his minutes as you can. I just don't want to set the bar too high and talk about him playing through pain. A break or high ankle sprain and it isn't fair to Kerr. He can be world class tough and he won't be contributing for 4 weeks minimum.

People talk about Willis Reed, but they forget he played like 15 minutes, was basically immobile and scored 4 points. It was an emotional charge, but he wasn't close to himself. It's unfair to expect more out of Kerr than the injury allows. Hopefully it's a generic sprain and he can be in a decent place by Sweet 16 or so.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Really good posts in this thread, and all appreciated.

I just can't get over that IT FUCKING HAPPENED AGAIN. Another championship-level AZ team derailed by a key injury.

Not even close to throwing in the towel. This team is tough and capable. They can still get to the FF. But it's a crime that we won't have Kriisa at 100%. He prepped all year for this.

Hopefully we'll get some encouraging news on his injury today, but I think we all know that realistically, the best case scenario is that he plays in later rounds of the tourney at 75% if we're lucky.
prh

Post by prh »

Question for you guys:

Let's say Kerr comes back around 75%, and can take and make open shots. Could this cut out some of the heat checks/lower quality shots, while still keeping a lot of the good? Obviously there's a loss defensively and playmaking, but just searching for something here like we all are
97cats

Post by 97cats »

it cuts down on his lift and fitness/stamina thats for sure
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

pokinmik wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:24 pm Anyone have video of the landing?
1:55

Created a quick gif

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

That's painful to watch
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Needs to wear high top basketball shoes for ankle support. After I had a high ankle sprain over 20 years ago with low tops, I never played again without high tops.

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:50 am Image
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

84Cat wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:57 am That's painful to watch
I could be wrong, and hope I am, but the fact that the front of his foot first hit C-Lo's foot, and only then rolled, appears to me to increase the risk of a high ankle sprain....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Are Seth's fingers really crossed?
Last edited by RaisingArizona on Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sit him until the round of 32 game.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion