Koloko

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Koloko

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:32 pm Anyone in the know care to predict in % what the odds are he bounces after this season?

Sure hope not….I love seeing the “Twin Towers” in action! So much fun to watch and amazing to see how much better he’s gotten this year.
I've said before, I think his draft stock is peaked right now. If I were advising him purely on stock, I'd say go.

That said, zero idea what he wants and values. That part matters a lot and I have no idea. His game right now...I feel like the NBA's seen all they need.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Kinda interesting if you ask me
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:45 am Kinda interesting if you ask me
Wrong. You don’t retire it because any way you slice it CSM brought these players to Arizona. It has to be part of the narrative along with CTL coming in and keeping them and helping to make them better.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:50 am
Bangkok Wildcat wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:32 pm Anyone in the know care to predict in % what the odds are he bounces after this season?

Sure hope not….I love seeing the “Twin Towers” in action! So much fun to watch and amazing to see how much better he’s gotten this year.
I've said before, I think his draft stock is peaked right now. If I were advising him purely on stock, I'd say go.

That said, zero idea what he wants and values. That part matters a lot and I have no idea. His game right now...I feel like the NBA's seen all they need.
I don't think he has peaked. I think he's borderline 1st round. Add 20 lbs of muscle and make close in shots automatic he would be a lottery pick. To me today's NBA requires you to make scoring at least a second strength and you must be able to make the shots you should. Kind of like Kentucky's center. Can rebound well, shot block in close and score underneath. I see C-Lo in that same light. If he adds muscle and some weight to strengthen his base he will be unstoppable.

For Ballo I want him to add 15 lbs of muscle but come back 5 lbs lighter. Unstoppable.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

TheCat wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:38 pm

I don't think he has peaked. I think he's borderline 1st round. Add 20 lbs of muscle and make close in shots automatic he would be a lottery pick. To me today's NBA requires you to make scoring at least a second strength and you must be able to make the shots you should. Kind of like Kentucky's center. Can rebound well, shot block in close and score underneath. I see C-Lo in that same light. If he adds muscle and some weight to strengthen his base he will be unstoppable.

For Ballo I want him to add 15 lbs of muscle but come back 5 lbs lighter. Unstoppable.
Oh man, I will be ecstatic if we have both of the Twin Towers for another year….would give Dylan Anderson time to redshirt and/or develop further before he’s needed. I’m assuming he’s nowhere near ready to take up the slack at Center as a Frosh.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:38 pm

I don't think peaking your draft stock = peaking your game. Koloko made such a rapid improvement this year, the NBA will see potential to continue to develop.

Returning is a risk because someone doesn't always grow and improve and that drags you down. Koloko's stock is rising and that helps.

I doubt he ever goes lottery. If you look at the bigs that do recently, they heavily trend away from Koloko's type, particularly on offense. Right now I think low teens or 20's is possible, because things like adding size happen just as much in the NBA.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Not a finalist for DPOY.

OK.....
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:03 am Not a finalist for DPOY.

OK.....
Guess he needs to come back next year and show those idiots just how wrong they are.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

There's no way we get another season of CK and OB playing together, right? Like, that's the kind of good luck that only comes to other programs, I'd think.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:07 am There's no way we get another season of CK and OB playing together, right? Like, that's the kind of good luck that only comes to other programs, I'd think.
While true, now we are other programs.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Thswiebwe, Kessler, Holmgren are good final four candidates but Mark Williams over Koloko is ridiculous
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Mark Williams had a bunch of blocks against Gonzaga in that early season game and the sports media wrote down "DPOY candidate" in permanent marker
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Again, like what happened to Benn I love the extra motivation that I'm sure C-Lo will have.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I don't want the players to take it to their head. That is rat poison. Make a statement instead.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

17 points, 13 rebounds, 6 assists and 5 blocks
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

azgreg wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:00 pm 17 points, 13 rebounds, 6 assists and 5 blocks
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Bangkok Wildcat

I love this kid! He’s a real stud and hope he comes back next year!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:13 pm I love this kid! He’s a real stud and hope he comes back next year!
Ditto that!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

What a game by C-Lo.

I've never been more impressed.

From start to the fucking finish.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

About a month ago I made him with goggles my avi and since then his numbers have been down. Had to switch it out.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

C-lo with a career high and the dagger to put TCU away for good
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Amazing. Koloko and Mathurin absolutely carried us tonight.
Bangkok Wildcat

I swear, he was wearing a huge “S” for Superman under his uni!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to our all-conference, Pac defensive player of the year center. He's a special player, and his NBA draft stock is skyrocketing. I think we're in his last few weeks as a Wildcat player. Here's hoping he gets to cut down some nets on Saturday!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I re-watched the entire TCU game last night, mainly because the last 4 days have been a drunken blur, but I wanted to watch Christian and Benn's career nights again.

There was a moment in the 1H where Koloko got a breather but he was still playing defense from the bench. He saw something form before anyone else recognized it. He jumped off the bench to yell at Tubelis about a switch that he missed but by the time he saw, the guy was scoring. Koloko upsettably threw his towel in the air which got Tommy's attention and he quickly subbed him back in.

Tommy's confidence in him late in games to guard anyone who dares to steal the win from us is something to behold. 7 footers are usually a liability on the defensive end against guards but no one told Christian this. This kid just gets it. Please come back!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Nimble 7 footers from other countries that grow up playing soccer all day and night seem to have unbelievable footwork.

Ps if he has a couple more games like last night, I would be surprised if he doesn't go to the league.

I want him to stay but..... Good for him man!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

In five post season games (Pac-12 tournament & NCAA's) Koloko has a 40 minute Bird Score (think PER) of 31.5. That puts him in extremely rare company. He will be spending June 23rd at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona’s Christian Koloko rises to become dominant force

“Now I have skills that I didn’t have freshman year and my game is still evolving,” he said.

https://apnews.com/article/march-madnes ... bd8b7c379f

It sure sounds like he's peaking at the right time. Go Christian!
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

KaibabKat wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:30 pm In five post season games (Pac-12 tournament & NCAA's) Koloko has a 40 minute Bird Score (think PER) of 31.5. That puts him in extremely rare company. He will be spending June 23rd at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
NBA GMs have to be salivating based off of that elite switch out ability alone.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

Koloko will likely not be back next year IMO.

“He’s ready to soar: The amazing ascent of Arizona’s Christian Koloko”

He connected immediately with Tommy Lloyd, the new coach’s experience with international players proving invaluable, as well as his reputation as a developer. Lloyd essentially stripped Koloko’s game down to the basics, spending hours on catching the ball, securing it, hitting it properly off the backboard. “Like hundreds or thousands of times,’’ Lloyd says. Koloko never complained. This was, after all, what he did by himself back in Cameroon.
Koloko also enjoyed Lloyd’s approach. He is not a screamer. He likes to crack jokes — though Koloko admits some are lousy dad jokes. “He always begins everything with, ‘I love you. I love you. I love you,’’’ Koloko says. “And then it’s, ‘But…’’’ (Sure enough when asked about how he dealt with Koloko, Lloyd began by saying, “First thing is love him, and let him know how good he can be.’’)
https://theathletic.com/3201964/2022/03 ... an-koloko/
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

If the Tournament is good to Tommy Lloyd it will demonstrate to me a virtuous universe. For the first time in a long time I will feel existentially fundamentally optimistic.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:19 pm If the Tournament is good to Tommy Lloyd it will demonstrate to me a virtuous universe. For the first time in a long time I will feel existentially fundamentally optimistic.
Huh wait...no more Skullfucking and DIE, DIE, DIE?

Say it ain't so Joe.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:25 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:19 pm If the Tournament is good to Tommy Lloyd it will demonstrate to me a virtuous universe. For the first time in a long time I will feel existentially fundamentally optimistic.

Say it ain't so Joe.
Being an optimistic humanitarian is just a hobby. Being a petty vulgar asshole is my day job. It's a conundrum, especially when the hours overlap.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:34 pm

Say it ain't so Joe.
Being an optimistic humanitarian is just a hobby. Being a petty vulgar asshole is my day job. It's a conundrum, especially when the hours overlap.
IMNSHO, if we're looking for validation of a "virtuous universe", we're fucked!! Why would the entire course of human history change this week???

I'm looking for validation that the team with the better talent, game plan and execution wins!! And. I'm confident of affirmation in that!!

BTFD!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:46 pm

Say it ain't so Joe.
IMNSHO, if we're looking for validation of a "virtuous universe", we're fucked!! Why would the entire course of human history change this week???
Human history is not the entirety of the universe, and certainly not its sole measure of virtue.
pc in NM wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:46 pmI'm looking for validation that the team with the better talent, game plan and execution wins!! And. I'm confident of affirmation in that!!

BTFD!!!!
And the virtues of such a project will likely be ignored at by the universe. Affirmation almost certainly lies outside of something so ephemerally personal; it comes indirectly and through the other. In sum: Fuck ASU.

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:07 pm
pc in NM wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:46 pm

Say it ain't so Joe.
Human history is not the entirety of the universe, and certainly not its sole measure of virtue.
Well, I guess we could ask the dinosaurs... if they weren't EXTINCT!! :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:07 pm
pc in NM wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:46 pmI'm looking for validation that the team with the better talent, game plan and execution wins!! And. I'm confident of affirmation in that!!

BTFD!!!!
And the virtues of such a project will likely be ignored at by the universe. Affirmation almost certainly lies outside of something so ephemerally personal; it comes indirectly and through the other. In sum: Fuck ASU.
Fuckin' ASU feels virtuous, I'll give you that!! I'll take a victory tomorrow, and feel both virtuous AND vicious, thank you!! :mrgreen: :twisted:

BTFD!!!!

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This is like I’m reading Kant.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:12 pm This is like I’m reading Kant.
This is like I’m a reading cunt.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ZagCatFan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:54 pm Koloko will likely not be back next year IMO.

“He’s ready to soar: The amazing ascent of Arizona’s Christian Koloko”

He connected immediately with Tommy Lloyd, the new coach’s experience with international players proving invaluable, as well as his reputation as a developer. Lloyd essentially stripped Koloko’s game down to the basics, spending hours on catching the ball, securing it, hitting it properly off the backboard. “Like hundreds or thousands of times,’’ Lloyd says. Koloko never complained. This was, after all, what he did by himself back in Cameroon.
Koloko also enjoyed Lloyd’s approach. He is not a screamer. He likes to crack jokes — though Koloko admits some are lousy dad jokes. “He always begins everything with, ‘I love you. I love you. I love you,’’’ Koloko says. “And then it’s, ‘But…’’’ (Sure enough when asked about how he dealt with Koloko, Lloyd began by saying, “First thing is love him, and let him know how good he can be.’’)
https://theathletic.com/3201964/2022/03 ... an-koloko/
This is a live look at NBA scouts watching Koloko vs TCU.

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

NCAA Tournament - minimum 100 minutes played - Arizona Top 5 - Career 40 minute Bird Scores (PER):
30.3 Christian Koloko
24.8 Derrick Williams
24.0 Sean Elliott
23.3 Loren Woods
22.8 Brian Williams
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-draft ... -mock=2022

fwiw, this mock now doesn't even have CK in the 2022 draft. He's projected as a second rounder in '23.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That’s just moronic.

Is draft.net the one everyone consistently derides as god awful? If so, I can see why.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:35 am That’s just moronic.

Is draft.net the one everyone consistently derides as god awful? If so, I can see why.
They aren't great. They also have Koloko on the list of guys who boosted their 22 stock the most in this NCAA tourney.

https://www.nbadraft.net/stock-watch-ncaa-tournament-5/
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:50 am
Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:35 am That’s just moronic.

They aren't great. They also have Koloko on the list of guys who boosted their 22 stock the most in this NCAA tourney.

https://www.nbadraft.net/stock-watch-ncaa-tournament-5/
NBADraft.net is bad bad
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Honestly, I didn't even realize there was a pecking order with these mocks. Which are the better ones?

I do agree that CK is likely to be drafted higher, if he does come out. I could see him putting his name in, getting a read on things, and then not making his decision until the last possible moment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:06 pm Honestly, I didn't even realize there was a pecking order with these mocks. Which are the better ones?

I do agree that CK is likely to be drafted higher, if he does come out. I could see him putting his name in, getting a read on things, and then not making his decision until the last possible moment.
Givony is usually solid but his stuff is all behind the ESPN insider paywall.

Nbadraft.net has some ok articles, but a lot of the info is uninformed. I would not check them for info on who's staying and leaving. My main criticism of them is they aren't plugged in and slow to update stuff.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:06 pm Honestly, I didn't even realize there was a pecking order with these mocks. Which are the better ones?

For me...

1. The Athletic / Sam Vecenie - Sam is hyper plugged in, watches a ton of basketball throughout the season without a regional bias and produces a MASSIVE draft book every year (140 page pdf last year). I think he's the best of the best based on his depth of knowledge and productivity. Paywalled.

2. ESPN / Givony - Back before their acquisition, Givony and his team at Draftexpress were the clear gold standard. I don't pay for ESPN Premium access and I don't trust ESPN not to taint Givony's good product. But Givony is a real talent and deserves respect. Paywalled.

3. The Ringer / Kevin O'Connor - The Ringer (and O'Connor along with it) has seemed to shift more towards entertainment than sports (even when covering sports), but O'Connor is still a great basketball mind and the The Ringer (with their deep resources) produces a big board that is both slick and in-depth.

Honorable mention: Tankathon - I like Tankathon for their combination of draft order tracking / projections along with a quick and easy look at their big board; you won't get prospect discussions or any qualitative insights, but you will get player stats and a cool player comparison tool for comparing player stats.
prh

Post by prh »

Givony currently has Koloko at 36 to the Blazers
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

prh wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:08 pm Givony currently has Koloko at 36 to the Blazers
He also has Koloko listed as a 6'10" PF