South Region Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: South Region Discussion

Post by dmjcat »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:33 pm The best part of filling out a bracket is knowing everybody is wrong
Pretty safe bet considering nobody has ever done it

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ness-dream
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:17 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:53 pm We had almost comically bad luck with our region under Miller. In 2011, we played 4 seed, 1 seed, 3 seed. In 2013, we lost to a 2 seed. In 2014, we lost to a 2 seed as a 1. In 2015, we faced a 1 seed as a 2. In 2017, if we beat Xavier, we play a 1 seed to go to the Final Four.

The one time a region actually opened up was when Buffalo spanked us in the first round.
Just about every other time, we just about literally got the toughest opponent we could when we went deep.

This year, much harder to predict. No team screams lights out in the South to me...other than us. Maybe we finally get a good draw.
I'd argue that Xavier year that lower half of the bracket opened up for us for a matchup with the zags for Sean's first f4 with the #3 FSU getting upset.

I certainly remember everyone feeling very confident after Xavier got their upset and the matchup with the Zags was looming. The final four was in Glendale, perfect. #1 Villanova had also lost in the rd of 32 and that bracket (#2 Duke and #3 Baylor also lost in rd of 32) would've been the final four matchup (#7 seed south Carolina eventually).

Everything seemed like it was breaking Arizona's way and just had to get past Gonzaga and they'd be in the title game.
Dunno, Xavier was just one game, and we would have played the highest seed possible in the other 3 games. I do agree I would have told you FSU was scary pre-tourney and I was happy to see them lose.

In 2018, the South had a Sweet 16 matching a 5 seed vs 9 seed and a 7 seed vs an 11 seed. Eventually, the 11 seed won it. If Buffalo hadn't have whipped us...I mean, that team was very flawed so we still probably would have lost, just had more of a chance.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

SOUTH REGION

No. 1 Arizona: The Wildcats won the Pac-12 regular season by three games over second-place UCLA and have lost once — by 16 points at Colorado — since Jan.25.

No. 2 Villanova: The Wildcats have won five Big East titles in eight years. They were the No.2 seed in the South in 2016 and won a national championship.

No. 3 Tennessee: The Volunteers are one of only three teams to beat Arizona this season, defeating the Wildcats 77-73 on Dec.22 in Knoxville.

No. 4 Illinois: Despite recent success in the Big Ten tournament, the Illini won a share of the conference’s regular-season title for the first time since 2005.

Cinderella search

Why not Chattanooga? The Mocs already have had a prayer answered this March. They secured their bid when guard David Jean-Baptiste hit a three-pointer at the overtime buzzer to beat Furman in the Southern Conference final.

Top players

Kofi Cockburn, center, Illinois: The 7-foot Cockburn is the only player in the country averaging at least 20 points (21.1) and 10 rebounds (10.6). Nationally, he ranks 11th and eighth, respectively, and is a finalist for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar center of the year award.

David Roddy, forward, Colorado State: At 6-6 and 255 pounds, Roddy is thicker than most star players. He averages 19.4 points and 7.6 rebounds and was Mountain West Conference player of the year.

E.J. Liddell, forward, Ohio State: A junior, Liddell toyed with the idea of entering the NBA draft last year before deciding to remain in college. His improved play this season includes averaging 19.6 points, 7.9 rebounds and 2.6 blocks.

Rim shots

Bryant’s Peter Kiss leads the nation in scoring, averaging 25.1 points. A 6-5 senior guard, Kiss reached 30 points 10 times this season.

Delaware is 0-15 all time against Villanova, the most recent loss coming in 2019. Blue Hens coach Martin Ingelsby grew up rooting for the Wildcats, and his father, Tom, was a Villanova standout.

Loyola Chicago is coached by Drew Valentine, who took over the program last year at age 29. As a player, he was part of the Oakland program that made back-to-back NCAA appearances starting in 2010.

— Jeff Miller

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... breakdowns
Last edited by 97cats on Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RaisingArizona wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:31 pm The sophomoric side of me (which is every side) wants Longwood alive as long as possible. I'll root for Arizona over the dick joke of course but otherwise that's my team.

Btw, is Moorhead State in Longwood's conference? That would be quite the rivalry.
I used to spend summers near Longwood. My grandparents owned a place in Cumberland Court House, Virginia, and Farmville was the closest “big” town. It had the Walmart and the college. Jerome Kersey played there, and that was about it.

So I’m pulling for those boys from Central Virginia too.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:54 pm WEST REGION

No. 1 Arizona: The Wildcats won the Pac-12 regular season by three games over second-place UCLA and have lost once — by 16 points at Colorado — since Jan.25.

No. 2 Villanova: The Wildcats have won five Big East titles in eight years. They were the No.2 seed in the South in 2016 and won a national championship.

No. 3 Tennessee: The Volunteers are one of only three teams to beat Arizona this season, defeating the Wildcats 77-73 on Dec.22 in Knoxville.

No. 4 Illinois: Despite recent success in the Big Ten tournament, the Illini won a share of the conference’s regular-season title for the first time since 2005.

Cinderella search

Why not Chattanooga? The Mocs already have had a prayer answered this March. They secured their bid when guard David Jean-Baptiste hit a three-pointer at the overtime buzzer to beat Furman in the Southern Conference final.

Top players

Kofi Cockburn, center, Illinois: The 7-foot Cockburn is the only player in the country averaging at least 20 points (21.1) and 10 rebounds (10.6). Nationally, he ranks 11th and eighth, respectively, and is a finalist for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar center of the year award.

David Roddy, forward, Colorado State: At 6-6 and 255 pounds, Roddy is thicker than most star players. He averages 19.4 points and 7.6 rebounds and was Mountain West Conference player of the year.

E.J. Liddell, forward, Ohio State: A junior, Liddell toyed with the idea of entering the NBA draft last year before deciding to remain in college. His improved play this season includes averaging 19.6 points, 7.9 rebounds and 2.6 blocks.

Rim shots

Bryant’s Peter Kiss leads the nation in scoring, averaging 25.1 points. A 6-5 senior guard, Kiss reached 30 points 10 times this season.

Delaware is 0-15 all time against Villanova, the most recent loss coming in 2019. Blue Hens coach Martin Ingelsby grew up rooting for the Wildcats, and his father, Tom, was a Villanova standout.

Loyola Chicago is coached by Drew Valentine, who took over the program last year at age 29. As a player, he was part of the Oakland program that made back-to-back NCAA appearances starting in 2010.

— Jeff Miller

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... breakdowns
How is there no mention of ANY Wildcats in the Top Players section??

I mean, what the fuck???
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatFan1399

Post by CatFan1399 »

The sophomoric side of me (which is every side) wants Longwood alive as long as possible. I'll root for Arizona over the dick joke of course but otherwise that's my team.

Btw, is Moorhead State in Longwood's conference? That would be quite the rivalry.
[/quote]

Longwood prefers to pound it inside, but occasionally over dribbles. Moorehead is best at a slow pace, but you can’t count on them not to choke at the end.

I’ll show myself out.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:54 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:53 pm We had almost comically bad luck with our region under Miller. In 2011, we played 4 seed, 1 seed, 3 seed. In 2013, we lost to a 2 seed. In 2014, we lost to a 2 seed as a 1. In 2015, we faced a 1 seed as a 2. In 2017, if we beat Xavier, we play a 1 seed to go to the Final Four.

The one time a region actually opened up was when Buffalo spanked us in the first round.
Just about every other time, we just about literally got the toughest opponent we could when we went deep.

This year, much harder to predict. No team screams lights out in the South to me...other than us. Maybe we finally get a good draw.
I'd argue that Xavier year that lower half of the bracket opened up for us for a matchup with the zags for Sean's first f4 with the #3 FSU getting upset.

I certainly remember everyone feeling very confident after Xavier got their upset and the matchup with the Zags was looming. The final four was in Glendale, perfect. #1 Villanova had also lost in the rd of 32 and that bracket (#2 Duke and #3 Baylor also lost in rd of 32) would've been the final four matchup (#7 seed south Carolina eventually).

Everything seemed like it was breaking Arizona's way and just had to get past Gonzaga and they'd be in the title game.
Dunno, Xavier was just one game, and we would have played the highest seed possible in the other 3 games. I do agree I would have told you FSU was scary pre-tourney and I was happy to see them lose.

In 2018, the South had a Sweet 16 matching a 5 seed vs 9 seed and a 7 seed vs an 11 seed. Eventually, the 11 seed won it. If Buffalo hadn't have whipped us...I mean, that team was very flawed so we still probably would have lost, just had more of a chance.
All we had to do is take care of a double digit seed Xavier.

Gonzaga was essentially the final four game in the elite eight. If we won that we would've a cake walk to the national championship game. (Don't recall anyone being scared of that Gonzaga team).

I honestly don't know what you mean by the bolded part.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:59 pm

I mean, what the fuck???
pretty remarkable - from the LA Times this morning :lol:
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:53 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:47 pm To be concerned about a team, you have to think if they can matchup with our size, our size that can guard guards outside of the paint.

Arizona is elite in 2pt% offensively and defensively. That's how they're going to beat you. As we saw this conference tournament, it doesn't even matter if you hit record amount of 3s.
Yeah, after experiencing Stanford and Colorado, my fears about lesser teams shooting the lights out are more than little diffused.
Our size combined with our pace eventually wears out teams. They can maybe hang for a bit, but eventually it sets in.

Pretty much the story every time vs these hot shooting teams.

Even our offensive sets in the half court makes you run/chase around a lot and the defense switches on everything also add to that.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

If you look at our side of the bracket, there are arguably MORE NBA player draft pics on our team than all the other teams combined...I mean who have the others got? Kofi? We already know how to beat him and he's just one guy, we can throw three guys at him and he will fold.

Gonzaga leads with the most lottery picks, Kentucky is probably next...Baylor has some...but I'm picking my brackets based on how close to the actual NBA the teams look...thats why the 16th seeds never win...how many lottery picks have come out of 16 seeds?

It doesn't mean that NBA players don't arise out of 16 seeds, eventually...but those teams don't win National Championships without high lottery picks...it just doesn't happen anymore.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:11 pm

I mean, what the fuck???
It also says WEST REGION?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:11 pm

I mean, what the fuck???
I stopped reading when I found out the article was from the LA Times.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

What I will tell you is we played Illinois and Tenn. before Ballo became Ballo.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:50 pm What I will tell you is we played Illinois and Tenn. before Ballo became Ballo.
And arguably before Larsson became Larsson. He's had a fantastic second half of the season.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

If Arizona plays like Arizona there is no one in this region that can match up with us.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

TheCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:50 pm What I will tell you is we played Illinois and Tenn. before Ballo became Ballo.
We also had 100% Kerr
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:06 pm Looks like Friday's game is scheduled for 7:27pm EST on truTV.
Who the fruck gets TruTV?

Note that's 4:27 PM Arizona time, since the rest of the US went on DST.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:06 pm
We also had 100% Kerr
I dunno I don't think Kerr fully blossomed until after his 2 game streak where he was shooting 0-19. He hasn't been the same since in a good way
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I know.

I also know there will be a game where we will need him.

Will he be available? Will he be effective?

I hope so
97cats

Post by 97cats »

to me its the single biggest factor in the development of Arizona since the middle of January - the defensive versatility and overall coverage and ability it gives Lloyd is beyond impressive.

its been gelling for a while and now Koloko has taken it to another level - taking on the opponents best player and dominating.

having Ballo man the paint behind him has suffocated tired opponents who often cant even get off a shot attempt at the end of games.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:26 pm
to me its the single biggest factor in the development of Arizona since the middle of January - the defensive versatility and overall coverage and ability it gives Lloyd is beyond impressive.

its been gelling for a while and now Koloko has taken it to another level - taking on the opponents best player and dominating.

having Ballo man the paint behind him has suffocated tired opponents who often cant even get off a shot attempt at the end of games.

It really seems like the only way to beat us is to shoot and hit a crazy amount of 3s
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:30 pm
It really seems like the only way to beat us is to shoot and hit a crazy amount of 3s
i would lean to that then remember often times teams hitting record number of threes against us this season and AZ winning by like a dozen...i think it just happened??
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:34 pm
i would lean to that then remember often times teams hitting record number of threes against us this season and AZ winning by like a dozen...i think it just happened??
I didn't say it would work... just it might be their best chance... unless our Bigs get in foul trouble....
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:37 pm I didn't say it would work... just it might be their best chance... unless our Bigs get in foul trouble....
oh it could work for sure in conjunction with somebody able and willing to push them around.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:05 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:54 pm

All we had to do is take care of a double digit seed Xavier.

Gonzaga was essentially the final four game in the elite eight. If we won that we would've a cake walk to the national championship game. (Don't recall anyone being scared of that Gonzaga team).

I honestly don't know what you mean by the bolded part.
I meant the highest round 1 seed for a #2 to play is #15, the highest seed for a #2 seed in round 2 is #7 and the highest possible seed in the EE is a #1.

I mean, I'm sort of cheating in Round 1, but we got the highest possible seed in R2 and would have in R4. I agree I thought of Xavier as a gift compared to FSU.

I wasn't too freaked by Zaga because we'd hung with them in Staples when we had no PJC and no Trier and like 7 active scholarship players. Of course Zaga also played their best game of the year in the Elite Eight and blew Xavier off the map.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:26 pm

I'd go with hoping we miss shots and/or turn the ball over. In losses we average .392 from the field and 16 to's. Normally, we are .496 and 13.2.

In short, you have to hope we beat ourselves.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:35 pm If you look at our side of the bracket, there are arguably MORE NBA player draft pics on our team than all the other teams combined...I mean who have the others got? Kofi? We already know how to beat him and he's just one guy, we can throw three guys at him and he will fold.

Gonzaga leads with the most lottery picks, Kentucky is probably next...Baylor has some...but I'm picking my brackets based on how close to the actual NBA the teams look...thats why the 16th seeds never win...how many lottery picks have come out of 16 seeds?

It doesn't mean that NBA players don't arise out of 16 seeds, eventually...but those teams don't win National Championships without high lottery picks...it just doesn't happen anymore.
Well Jay Bilas said that Duke has 3 lottery picks and two more first rounders, so, you know he's right.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

The winner of TCU/Seton Hall scares me if we win our first game. I could see us having problems with either of those teams. TCU is long and physical and held their own against Kansas twice this year. Seton Hall has just seemed to have our number in the NCAA tournament. We've been eliminated twice by them. As much as I love this team I just see Villanova winning the South. There's a lot of people picking Arizona to win it all but historically we always fall short in those years unfortunately. My guess is we lose in the second round or the Sweet 16. We always seem to run into a buzz saw like Utah in 98 or more recently the Buffalo blowout and we had the number one overall draft pick on that team. I want so badly to pick us to the FF but I just don't see it happening. For now I've got the Zags, UCLA, Nova, and Kansas in my Final Four with the Zags winning the title.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:15 pm
CatFanOneMil wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:35 pm If you look at our side of the bracket, there are arguably MORE NBA player draft pics on our team than all the other teams combined...I mean who have the others got? Kofi? We already know how to beat him and he's just one guy, we can throw three guys at him and he will fold.

Well Jay Bilas said that Duke has 3 lottery picks and two more first rounders, so, you know he's right.
Yeah I'm not sure what the hell is going on at Duke...I think Coach K's retirement has taken a LOT of attention away from the players and NO ONE GOES TO DUKE THAT IS NOT AN ATTENTION WHORE...its a complete circle jerk there, so K taking all the thunder has made his players kinda "meh"...

To be fair, I hate duke...but I think they will further in the tourney than they have these last few weeks because his players want to get away from there and this is the only serious exit they have before the lottery.

Here's an interesting FACT:

Of the last 45 tournament champions 44 have have had at least ONE 1st round draft pick on the team...

Seeding is an illusion...NBA ready talent is not...check the mock drafts and fill out your brackets accordingly...he reason I favor our team is we have at least 3 players that could go in the draft, and some of them are moving up...hopefully only 1 does, but he's a top 10 draftee and plays in the right spot to win it all...

Chets certainly good...he's a unicorn though...and needs Timme for them to win...Benn could almost put the whole team on his back, but never would need to.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Captain Obvious wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:25 pm The winner of TCU/Seton Hall scares me if we win our first game. I could see us having problems with either of those teams. TCU is long and physical and held their own against Kansas twice this year. Seton Hall has just seemed to have our number in the NCAA tournament. We've been eliminated twice by them. As much as I love this team I just see Villanova winning the South. There's a lot of people picking Arizona to win it all but historically we always fall short in those years unfortunately. My guess is we lose in the second round or the Sweet 16. We always seem to run into a buzz saw like Utah in 98 or more recently the Buffalo blowout and we had the number one overall draft pick on that team. I want so badly to pick us to the FF but I just don't see it happening. For now I've got the Zags, UCLA, Nova, and Kansas in my Final Four with the Zags winning the title.
None of that is obvious to me Captain. First I do think TCU beats Seton Hall who we pounded as a 1 seed in 87-88 when everyone like you was picking them to upset the cats.

Picking TCU will be trendy but while most teams would really suffer losing their starting PG, we just run our offense through Mathurin and you saw those results against a far better UCLA team.

Villanova will battle us but they will really struggle to put up enough points to beat us.If you really want to be Obvious you should talk about Kansas getting a lay up to the FF
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Captain Obvious wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:25 pm The winner of TCU/Seton Hall scares me if we win our first game. I could see us having problems with either of those teams. TCU is long and physical and held their own against Kansas twice this year. Seton Hall has just seemed to have our number in the NCAA tournament. We've been eliminated twice by them. As much as I love this team I just see Villanova winning the South. There's a lot of people picking Arizona to win it all but historically we always fall short in those years unfortunately. My guess is we lose in the second round or the Sweet 16. We always seem to run into a buzz saw like Utah in 98 or more recently the Buffalo blowout and we had the number one overall draft pick on that team. I want so badly to pick us to the FF but I just don't see it happening. For now I've got the Zags, UCLA, Nova, and Kansas in my Final Four with the Zags winning the title.

I'm going to talk to Kerr and tattle on you.

Have some swag. Our guys do. As they should.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

We did get a #1 seed, but you don't have to travel to Chicago. 1/2 isn't bad for you.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Captain Obvious wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:25 pm I want so badly to pick us to the FF
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

My wife has been put on notice to be ready for an impromptu trip to NO in a few weeks.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:33 pm
They're favored by kenpom because they're top 11 in offense and defense

Why Illinois is being picked repeatedly picked over them is because Houston is 1-4 in Quad 1 games

That 1 win was yesterday in the conference tournament final vs Memphis. UAB btw is a quad 1 team
97cats

Post by 97cats »

UAB is more of a danger game for Houston than Illinois
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Here's an interesting FACT about the National tournament:

Of the last 45 Championships 44 of the winners all had a top 10 NBA draft...now that might be cause or it might be effect, but its a fact...

So the thing I like to do is take the top 10 draft picks at this point in the year...and assign them to their teams...

That ends up being Gonzaga, UA, KU, Kansas, Purdue, Iowa, Duke, Wisconsin, Auburn, and Baylor if you only count Duke once...

Next I like to take the last 4-6 games of the teams in question the list...a loss drops you from the table...that leaves you Zags, Zona, Kansas and Iowa...now Iowa and Kansas would have to meet in sweet 16 and Kansas has a better SIX game record than Iowa, besides they've been here before...Baylor and Purdue would have to meet in the E8...Baylor has a better record and Purdue lost to a team (Wisc) with a top 10 draft pick in the last 6 games...so you gotta give Baylor the edge...

Obviously teams with multiple top 10 NBA draft picks would be the choices here but the team record reveals how well those guys play together...this sorta handicaps Duke, but moves Zags up...Dukes last game was a bit of a limp across the finish like they lost by almost 20...not a good sign, but I expect them to do better in the tournament...just not better than Gonzaga.

Based on this metric we actually have the easiest Bracket to reach the final four...and thats with only considering Benn a lottery pick...which will probably change the deeper into the tourney we go.

Based on this way of thinking...

West has 2 teams with 2 draft (Zags and Duke) picks each and one with one (Memphis)
East has three (Baylor, Purdue, UK)
South has 1 (Az)
Midwest has 4 (Kansas, Au, Wisc, Iowa)

Think about it...44 times out of 45 this metric has held...the winning team has a top 10 NBA draft player on the team...

There's only 10 top 10 and they might move a bit with different mock drafts but not by much.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Don’t you have to do that analysis with pre-tourney vs. post-tourney top 10 draft picks?

My point is I’m sure some players moved up and became a top 10 pick because of their play during the Tourney right?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:59 am These are the only teams I'm worried about in the South Region:

Bryant
Wright State
Colorado State
Michigan
Tennessee
Longwood
Ohio State
Loyola Chicago
Villanova
Delaware
Illinois
Chattanooga
Houston
UAB
Seton Hall
TCU
:lol:
Damn...just too funny. Thanks for the morning spirit lift.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

2022 NCAA Tournament bracket predictions: March Madness expert picks, winners, upsets, favorites to win

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -sleepers/

David's bracket

For a team as dominant as Arizona has been this season, the Wildcats have flown somewhat under the radar due to the fact that they play in the Pac-12, which reverted to mediocrity in 2021. Make no mistake, though. Arizona is an elite college basketball team with all the ingredients of a national title winner. With an excellent duo of rim protectors in Christian Koloko and Oumar Ballo, the Wildcats check the defense box. Offense is where they thrive, however. First-year coach Tommy Lloyd has seamlessly implemented the Gonzaga philosophy, and he's got a deep rotation of quality guards and wings capable of carrying it out, led by a potential lottery pick in Bennedict Mathurin.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Reverted to mediocrity in 2021? Didn't they PAC-12 have 4 teams in the Sweet Sixteen last year?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He means this season (2021/2022).
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm confident teams like Colorado, Oregon, ASU could hold there own against Big Ten tournament teams 6-9, Mountain West tourney teams, Big East at large etc.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:01 am He means this season (2021/2022).
Also, Oregon State's run is going to be retroactively vacated after their performance this year.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:02 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:58 am
97cats wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:46 am
the committee is telling the entire field we want Arizona vs Gonzaga/Duke in the National Championship
This would be one of the least likely, most epic championship games of all time.

A first-year coach vs. his boss of 20 years?

Can't think of anything close to this ever happening.
Maybe since no team ever beating 3 #1's in route to a Natty?
Wait, what?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:55 am
Chicat wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:01 am He means this season (2021/2022).
Also, Oregon State's run is going to be retroactively vacated after their performance this year.
Oregon State’s school charter should be revoked due to that travesty.