Peace

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Carcassdragger

Re: Peace

Post by Carcassdragger »

Longhorned wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:03 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:30 am
prh wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:41 pm I'm confused at how "cool we're both Wildcats" carries more weight than "we disagree when it comes to people dying" but hmm ok
I think you are confused...but about the wrong things. Nobody disagrees when it comes to people dying. Nobody advocates that although when Dove says "Die! Mother Fucker Die!" I have to remind myself he's just joking. :lol:

The disagreements are around how do we prevent people from dying in these senseless shootings.

And if you go to the politics board, please be aware that posters aren't going to agree with you if you don't substantiate your position. If you say something unsupportable that falls on the left, you'll be corrected. If you say something unsupportable that falls on the right or balances the left and right, you'll be corrected, but if you keep trying to argue your point in a way that engages the right wing extreme, posters belonging to the vastly left-leaning community down there are going take personal offense and treat your posts as such.

This is often very incorrect. If you say something down there that is not far leaning left or falls in the middle, you'll often be hit with vitriolic attacks by those that seem overly prone to take it personal.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Want to again note that it's not "you and I differ in opinion, therefore I can't tolerate you" that we're talking about here.

It's "you've repeatedly attacked my character and insulted me over our difference in opinion, therefore I can't tolerate you."

The call to maintain civility - to refrain from personal attacks - is a pretty fucking low bar to clear. I'm seeing a lot of replies that are either ignoring that this is the issue at hand, or that reject that we should refrain from denigrating each other (no matter what board it is on). That's surprising and troubling.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

YoDeFoe wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:39 pm Want to again note that it's not "you and I differ in opinion, therefore I can't tolerate you" that we're talking about here.

It's "you've repeatedly attacked me character and insulted me over our difference in opinion, therefore I can't tolerate you."

The call to maintain civility - to refrain from personal attacks - is a pretty fucking low bar to clear. I'm seeing a lot of replies that are either ignoring that this is the issue at hand, or that reject that we should refrain from denigrating each other (no matter what board it is on). That's surprising and troubling.
You are exactly right YDF-

There is no way the political boards won’t get heated. But there is no reason it can’t stay above the belt.

As a mod I will do a better job to ensure this happens. I hope my fellow mods will follow suit
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:24 am
That's kind of how's it been throughout the years. The Politics board has been our Vegas. What happens in the Politics Board.... stays in the Politics Board.

First rule of lower boards - don't talk about lower boards.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:51 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:39 pm Want to again note that it's not "you and I differ in opinion, therefore I can't tolerate you" that we're talking about here.

It's "you've repeatedly attacked me character and insulted me over our difference in opinion, therefore I can't tolerate you."

You are exactly right YDF-

There is no way the political boards won’t get heated. But there is no reason it can’t stay above the belt.

As a mod I will do a better job to ensure this happens. I hope my fellow mods will follow suit
This is great to hear. Well done
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:13 pm
prh wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:41 pm I'm confused at how "cool we're both Wildcats" carries more weight than "we disagree when it comes to people dying" but hmm ok
I think you are confused...but about the wrong things. Nobody disagrees when it comes to people dying. Nobody advocates that although when Dove says "Die! Mother Fucker Die!" I have to remind myself he's just joking. :lol:

The disagreements are around how do we prevent people from dying in these senseless shootings.

And if you go to the politics board, please be aware that posters aren't going to agree with you if you don't substantiate your position. If you say something unsupportable that falls on the left, you'll be corrected. If you say something unsupportable that falls on the right or balances the left and right, you'll be corrected, but if you keep trying to argue your point in a way that engages the right wing extreme, posters belonging to the vastly left-leaning community down there are going take personal offense and treat your posts as such.

This is often very incorrect. If you say something down there that is not far leaning left or falls in the middle, you'll often be hit with vitriolic attacks by those that seem overly prone to take it personal.
Yes, thank you. The fast trigger. I think that's one of the things YDF is asking posters to take some basic personal responsibility for, and what Alieberman and Chicat are offering to moderate when posters don't take responsibility for.

I'm trying to explain it, not excuse it. The politics board has an overwhelming majority of posters who are horrified. When debating sensitive issues, sensitivity for fellow posters carries low priority. If the conversation involves the kind of thinking that's understood to bring actual harm to actual people, the community is largely insensitive to when the feelings of an individual poster get hurt. It happens the same way on right-leaning politics boards, and for a similarly articulated reason.

It's bullshit to say there aren't actual stakes on a politics message board. Posters are looking to sway the opinions of fellow posters who donate, vote, and consume information from different sources. Where else do people talk about these things? At work? Neighborhood gatherings? Hardly.

There's a recognized dynamic where people from a privileged demographic are perceived to express more concern over being beat down personally than they express for the precarious people impacted by the positions they're espousing. Let's have eyes wide open about that dynamic as we take up the necessary challenge of self-control and what moderator's enforcement. No more personal attacks. But as that hopefully happens, let's also have thick skin and self-control when some posters endure a more objective and protracted dismantling. Some pretty offensive things get said back in the other direction when that takes place.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Longhorned wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:07 pm
Carcassdragger wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:13 pm

Yes, thank you. The fast trigger. I think that's one of the things YDF is asking posters to take some basic personal responsibility for, and what Alieberman and Chicat are offering to moderate when posters don't take responsibility for.

I'm trying to explain it, not excuse it. The politics board has an overwhelming majority of posters who are horrified. When debating sensitive issues, sensitivity for fellow posters carries low priority. If the conversation involves the kind of thinking that's understood to bring actual harm to actual people, the community is largely insensitive to when the feelings of an individual poster get hurt. It happens the same way on right-leaning politics boards, and for a similarly articulated reason.

It's bullshit to say there aren't actual stakes on a politics message board. Posters are looking to sway the opinions of fellow posters who donate, vote, and consume information from different sources. Where else do people talk about these things? At work? Neighborhood gatherings? Hardly.

There's a recognized dynamic where people from a privileged demographic are perceived to express more concern over being beat down personally than they express for the precarious people impacted by the positions they're espousing. Let's have eyes wide open about that dynamic as we take up the necessary challenge of self-control and what moderator's enforcement. No more personal attacks. But as that hopefully happens, let's also have thick skin and self-control when some posters endure a more objective and protracted dismantling. Some pretty offensive things get said back in the other direction when that takes place.
LH - let’s not get so melodramatic. It’s a fucking message board for god's sake not a barometer on whether the world is going to end.

No more personal attacks is the point of this thread. I know you think it’s also a platform to go on a diatribe but save it for the lower boards.

Oh wait….
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:21 am I enjoy the lower boards. I discover a lot down there.

The Politics Board has always had its own rules (basically none) I would welcome the change to keep it more respectful. As a mod here, I'm willing to step up and help clean it up if that's what people want.

And for the record- I was 1 of the people who had been "arguing" with Spiff down there but I never felt I said anything that would be considered below the belt. I'll read back through my posts though. If I did get personal- I sincerely apologize.
I never go to the politics board, because there was a time in most of our lives where we could all talk politics and not hate each other, but the world is different now, and people associate their political opposites as evil and it’s just sad. We can all agree/disagree about sports, entertainment, etc., and nobody cares, but politics has just gotten so divisive that I don’t think genuine debates can even occur any more. I’ll miss Spiff and I’d sure as hell would never leave a Primary sports board due to some political debate that went naturally sideways.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I dunno, it’s just easier not to visit certain threads or not to visit the site at all much, if you don’t like the back and forth.

I mean if you go to a message board because you are a fan of a certain team and you leave because someone disagreed and was mean on a thread that had nothing to do with said team…then what were you really here for?

Or you could go to a pay board and get what you pay for.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

this is a tough one, there are so many topics on the lower boards (politics specifically) i would love to discuss with the people here, people i consider friends, and people i respect.

many of those same friends share very different opinions about topics i would love to discuss openly. topics that i would like to learn from others about. topics i would like to share my opinions about. but i dont.... i dip my toe from time to time from an inquisitive angel, offering nothing more than curiosity....except twice.

i offered opinion on remote pandemic schooling early on during COVID and provided a glimpse into my personal experience a little while later while contracting COVID right before xmas with my family and the subsequent pandemic medicine that followed.

wasnt good. the emails direct werent good. the comments werent good. the attacks were insane.

alas, i will say two things

1) Spiff is one of my favorite posters

2) the Politics forum isnt a discussion forum
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I guess we can see why Scheer dropped the political boards off his site. Although that group of posters were definitely very right wing, or at least the conservative posters were much more vocal than the liberal posters. This going back decades. Pastor TriangleAndToo and his ilk were when I realized those claiming to be Christian are the least Christian people I know.

When Hansen left CatTracks to start up Goazcats with Storey I jumped ship immediately and rarely ever went back. Especially after Brad Allis left. Although many right wing posters came over too, especially Bonney and Goose. Remember their "Fourth Reich" forum?

In any event, welcome to the off season.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

$5 says he's back before Ramey's first 20pt game
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:04 pm $5 says he's back before Ramey's first 20pt game
I sure hope so
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

What happened to the “is this chick hot?” Thread?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Postmaster wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:07 pm What happened to the “is this chick hot?” Thread?
Us mods actually voted to kill that thread several years ago… trying not to foster a misogynistic atmosphere
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:09 pm
Postmaster wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:07 pm What happened to the “is this chick hot?” Thread?
Us mods actually voted to kill that thread several years ago… trying not to foster a misogynistic atmosphere
Could have kept the thread title and just turned it into a combo animal cruelty/climate change discussion.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

But as far as I know, "Rey?" is still allowed.

Rey?