Hard Edge Camp Opening Week

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Hard Edge Camp Opening Week

Post by azgreg »

BearDown89 wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:Black Oaks at AFO with some observations on Thursday's practice. This is AFO premium info, so only click on the link if you are a BDW premium member. We have a reciprocity agreement in place.
I'm sorry, what? We have premium here? Where?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ANGCatFan wrote:First rule of Bear Down Wildcats Premium is you don't talk about Bear Down Wildcats Premium.

AFO and us are the 2 active free boards for Wildcat sports. When you see something listed as premium on either site it is because it is content you can't find anywhere else (like Black Oaks' practice report) or breaking news that hasn't been reported anywhere else. Just a free board joke.

What we don't do is steal premium data from the pay sites. Their staff works hard for their premium reporting.
You got me Ang. :D
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Sports Guys are back for a 2nd year with a video report on day 1.

After listening to the discussion, I should have put this in the 2015 season thread.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino interviews Coach Smith on the back-up QBs plus other info on Thursday's practice.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Friday, Day 3, First in pads.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Arizona Athletics release on Friday's practice:
Weather Watch: Friday’s practice was scheduled for 6 p.m. on the team’s Kindall/Sancet practice fields, but thunderstorms in the area forced a venue switch and a delay. The Wildcats waited out the passing storms until 6:40 p.m., when they took the field for a two-hour workout in Arizona Stadium.

Play of the Day:

Senior offensive lineman Cayman Bundage, getting a look at center this August, dominated his defensive opponents early in line drills using his leverage nicely. With shoulder pads strapped on for the first time in camp, the thumping in the trenches was certainly ramped up Friday.

Stat of the Day:

A three-year contributor along the offensive line, senior Cayman Bundage has started 25 games over the last two seasons – all at guard.

Coach Rod Said It:

On first day in pads:

“The first day was okay. We are only in half-pads so we didn’t do much tackling, but from the physical aspect, it’s where I hoped it would be with half-pads. The intensity was pretty good. I think the guys learned how to practice. We were a little delayed because of the lightning so we started about forty-five minutes late, but I thought they practiced pretty well. I will probably reward them by taking a few minutes off tomorrow’s practice.”

On progress after three days of camp:

“We’ve had a good start. We had a couple of guys that were banged up. Some of it is just soft tissue muscle injuries but we are making progress.”

On the linebackers:

“Our linebackers work really hard, I think all of our guys do. Jake (Matthews) has gotten bigger and stronger and he’s a smart guy. He has a good concept of what we want to do. We have some experience at linebacker. I think we are going to be deeper than we have been if we keep everybody healthy. There are five or six guys that will play for us.”

On the cornerbacks:

“There is concern about the youth and inexperience at our cornerback position. It’s not only because of the youth and experience but because we have to play so many of them. I have mentioned before plenty of times that we have to get 22 guys ready on defense. Some of them are going to be freshmen or newcomers. We have a lot more bodies there. We have guys that are athletic enough to play. Our secondary coaches, Coach Lockwood and Coach Caponi will do a good job of getting those young guys ready.”

In their Own Words:

Linebacker Jake Matthews

On recently being given a scholarship...

"It feels amazing, it's such an honor. I called my mom and dad as soon as I found out and they were so proud. It's such an honor knowing that the coaches believe in you."

On starting as a walk on player...

"It never felt different. I never felt like I was any different than a scholarship guy, to be honest; the only thing I wasn't getting was the checks. But that's different now and like I said, it's a huge honor."

On first finding out about the scholarship...

"I was on my way to California for a trip when he (Rodriguez) called say that he was putting me on scholarship and I almost broke down. It was definitely a great moment."

On future local players...

"I'm glad that I can be an inspiration to local players. I looked up to Jared Tevis a lot so now hopefully I can be that guy to future players."

On playing next to Scooby Wright...

"Playing next to a guy with his ability has helped me so much. Me and the other guys are playing well next to him and communicating well. We are really helping each other out on the field. The third year guys will definitely have a big role this year."

Quarterback Jerrard Randall

On progress of camp thus far...

"It's my last year of camp so I'm really going into each day wanting to play like it is my last day. I have a lot more focus this year. I also feel a lot more comfortable. Last year I was a bit tense and Coach Rodriguez would put us in uncomfortable situations. So this year I'm more comfortable being uncomfortable."

On changes in defense...

"They're really good this year. They have a lot of fast guys this year. Secondary is a lot faster. Last year they were good, but this year they are so fast."

On how defense will improve the offense...

"Personally I want us to score 49 points a game but having a really good defense pays off. A good defense will win us games and this year I think we have a good defense."

On mental preparation this year vs. last year...

"I wouldn't say I'm 100% different but I'm definitely much more comfortable with the system. I'm more comfortable with Coach Rodriguez, I'm more comfortable with the guys; I have a special bond with the guys around me. Last year I was just coming in, between LSU, Northeast Mississippi Community College and Arizona all in my mind it was all scrambled. Now it's just Arizona. All I do is eat, sleep and breathe Arizona Football."

Up Next:

Arizona is scheduled to hold its fourth preseason camp practice on Saturday at 6 p.m. Preseason camp practices are generally closed to the media and public unless otherwise announced.
GoAZCats photo gallery.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I love the fact that Turituri is under the radar, couple mentions here and there (weight room stuff), but seems to be a forgotten player by most of the media. Big mistake!

I'm looking forward to watching him pile drive opposing QB's all freaking season long.

BTFD!
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Is it a good thing Bundage is playing center? Isn't he considered our best run blocker on the line?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Love to hear about the defense getting faster. Last year we had trouble in coverage at times
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

OSUCat wrote:Is it a good thing Bundage is playing center? Isn't he considered our best run blocker on the line?
I guess you could look at it as a good thing for 2016 if his guard spot if filled by someone with eligibility. Lots of seniors on this year's line.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sid wrote:I love the fact that Turituri is under the radar, couple mentions here and there (weight room stuff), but seems to be a forgotten player by most of the media. Big mistake!

I'm looking forward to watching him pile drive opposing QB's all freaking season long.

BTFD!
A) I definitely think that while Scooby will get the press, we'll be hearing Turituri's name almost as much from the announcers on game day.

B) Your avatar is outstanding.

C) Welcome to the board!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Sid

Post by Sid »

Chicat wrote:
Sid wrote:I love the fact that Turituri is under the radar, couple mentions here and there (weight room stuff), but seems to be a forgotten player by most of the media. Big mistake!

BTFD!
A) I definitely think that while Scooby will get the press, we'll be hearing Turituri's name almost as much from the announcers on game day.

B) Your avatar is outstanding.

C) Welcome to the board!
Thank you brother!
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Shit where was my love, I just got yelled at by hater when I first posted... :'(
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Official release on day 4 from Arizona Athletics.
Play of the Day:

During 11-on-11 action, safety Anthony Lopez battled freshman receiver Shun Brown, who was streaking up the left sideline. Lopez kept himself in good postion and broke up Jerrard Randall’s pass. The play helped the defense edge the offense for the day in the coaches’ scoring system used during practices.

Stat of the Day:

As a junior, Anthony Lopez cashed in one of the best defensive plays of the year for the Wildcats. On the opening drive of the Territorial Cup, linebacker Scooby Wright stripped ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly. Lopez scooped up the fumble and raced 25-yards for the opening score as the crowd of 56,083 erupted at Arizona Stadium.

Coach Rod Said It:

On the energy of practice:
“Towards the end of practice the defense showed a lot of enthusiasm. Normally on day four, there is less energy but today there was more. I don’t know if it was because we had great weather or a shorter practice. We shortened practice about 15 minutes. They came to work, I am very pleased with their performance today.”

On the intense start of camp:
“I think the intensity is good for the fourth practice we’ve had. I think with tomorrow having no practice and Monday being the first day of full-pads, the intensity will grow even more. I expect Monday to be even better.”

On the culture created from guys that love football:
“I think more than anything else it’s the atmosphere that the seniors before have created. Every year it’s gotten a little bit better and I think it is because they understand how we practice and how we go about business. We don’t like to waste our time, everything is short, quick and intense. I find myself having to explain that a lot less now than I did in years before.”

On Cayleb (Jones’) potential:
“Cayleb has enormous potential. He had a good year last year and I think he will be even better this year. He is a very talented guy, he works hard and he is one that loves football. He’s a had a great camp; it’s only day four but I am really excited for him. I think he can do a lot of special things this year.”

On Freddie (Tagaloa’s) progress:
“Freddie still has a lot to learn technique wise. It’s important to him so he will work and get better at it. His fundamentals are still something he has to work on as well. He has a pretty good knowledge of our system, but he hasn’t played in a game. He has adapted pretty quickly and our pace is not an issue for him at all. He just has to get better every day fundamentally because he’s big and strong but, he is going to be playing against good quality defensive ends.”

In their Own Words:

Wide Receiver Cayleb Jones

On his thoughts coming into this season...
"I think I am really prepared. I feel that I had a really good offseason this summer and I have been in the playbook a lot more. I'm prepared and the rest of our guys are prepared as well."

On his weight and strength...
"I was at 208 (lbs) last year and I weighed in today at 224. This is my first full offseason in college because I had trouble with my hand last summer and as a freshman at Texas I was still getting acclimated. I really got to work with the strength coaches and was able to push myself. I saw where being strong would help me during the season."

Wide Receiver Samajie Grant

On being picked to finish fourth in the Pac-12 South...
"To be honest I don't really pay attention to that stuff a lot. It does put a chip on my shoulder because I don't like to be picked fourth. It basically tells us that we aren't a good team so it does put a big chip on my shoulder. It makes it better for us."

On the defensive backs...
"I have seen a lot of excitement and speed on the defensive side. Those guys are flying around right now. They look really good and they have a lot of athleticism."
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Tony Ellison was an option at Punt returner if I remember correctly.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fishclamps wrote:Shit where was my love, I just got yelled at by hater when I first posted... :'(
:lol:

I like reading your posts but we need to work on that avatar. :D
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

Looks like the Digital Gurus were filming another video today. Multiple players dressed up in tuxedo's with Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, and other luxury vehicles in the NEZ.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

azgreg wrote:
Pretty cool, the guy is really fast with great instincts. Now if he can impress when the pads go on today then maybe we found something.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That is such a position of depth. I am much more excited about guys like Kendall Jackson at LB, Demetrious Flanigan-Fowles at safety and Fotu on the DLine.

DFF was a guy not reporting away from a greyshirt and now he is running with the 2's and making plays daily. Heard USC was on him late but we had already locked him down. This is going to be a great story out of that class. Another 2 star kid and from Tucson
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

azcat49 wrote:That is such a position of depth. I am much more excited about guys like Kendall Jackson at LB, Demetrious Flanigan-Fowles at safety and Fotu on the DLine.

DFF was a guy not reporting away from a greyshirt and now he is running with the 2's and making plays daily. Heard USC was on him late but we had already locked him down. This is going to be a great story out of that class. Another 2 star kid and from Tucson
Might have a lot of CB bodies, but the whole unit has been very underwhelming. Denson seems like he will get better, but everyone else is a wildcard at this point. Awesome tidbit on DFF.