New Football Uniforms??? GB Tweet

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

3goggles

New Football Uniforms??? GB Tweet

Post by 3goggles »

Did anybody catch the tweet from Greg B about exciting news from Nike and the Atheltic Department? Anybody know if this means we are getting new unifroms for the football team?
ASUHATER!

Re: New Football Uniforms??? GB Tweet

Post by ASUHATER! »

Again? Would be the like 4th new set of uniforms in 6 years.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ASUHATER! wrote:Again? Would be the like 4th new set of uniforms in 6 years.
Its all about recruiting and the current set is awful. I am hoping for an updated version of the desert swarm sets!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

3goggles wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Again? Would be the like 4th new set of uniforms in 6 years.
Its all about recruiting and the current set is awful. I am hoping for an updated version of the desert swarm sets!
Which is not what recruits want. That's what 45 year old fans want. Recruits want neon Oregon style uniforms and chrome helmets and fancy fonts.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

IIR that tweet was they day of the NBA/Nike announcement.

I'm guessing its something basketball related.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Who knows. However, there was a tweet some months back when someone mentioned the 90s unis after a pic from them was posted, said they'd love to see throwbacks... and the reply from the school said something along the line of "you never know, could happen."

Could be anything, though.
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

The current set is horrific and an embarrassment. I welcome a change back to our colors - not purple shoulder pad gradient, candy red helmets or gray for no reason.

Our colors are fantastic, it should not be hard.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I agree but again it's about what is popular and cool these days...not what middle aged men think was cool in the 90s. It sucks but that's what it is. Especially with big companies like Nike
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Isn't AZ's Nike contract recently expired? I thought maybe they were going to announce a new long term Nike deal? More Money...
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

I think the announcement will be the renewal of our contract with Nike. Not sure what that means in regards to uniform changes but with the trend being the way it is today to appease recruits, I wouldn't be surprised to see a change in the next few years.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

In re UofA wrote:The current set is horrific and an embarrassment. I welcome a change back to our colors - not purple shoulder pad gradient, candy red helmets or gray for no reason.

The red helmets are our exact color. And when have we worn grey in football?(we haven't). When we get uniforms they are matched to the official copyrighted color palette of the school, including the helmets. You must just have an incorrect assumption about what the official colors are.

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

ASUHATER! wrote:
In re UofA wrote:The current set is horrific and an embarrassment. I welcome a change back to our colors - not purple shoulder pad gradient, candy red helmets or gray for no reason.

The red helmets are our exact color. And when have we worn grey in football?(we haven't). When we get uniforms they are matched to the official copyrighted color palette of the school, including the helmets. You must just have an incorrect assumption about what the official colors are.
For basketball we did wear gray and the "red" that was on those uni's was closer to orange, it was definitely not part of the official color palette. Perhaps InReUofA is conflating the two. So, it's not as if Nike giving us something bizarre is unprecedented.

I don't hate the current uniforms but I would definitely welcome a return to the older style (just make the "A" on the helmet bigger). Was watching the Juron Criner highlight reel in ANGCAT's #82 update and couldn't help thinking how good those uni's looked.

Fingers crossed for a non-weird uniform update.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So you think the athletic department on purpose got uniforms with colors that aren't ours? If you see orange it is a you eye problem. That is our official legal school color on the helmets and uniforms.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BMalo wrote:I think the announcement will be the renewal of our contract with Nike.
From what I understand that's exactly what it's going to be. A bit more money all around the athletic department (i.e. the coaches' wallets) also a bigger pool of money for equipment which should lead to newer helmets and special uniforms. I wouldn't expect any earth shattering uniform news outside of the more money.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

ASUHATER! wrote:So you think the athletic department on purpose got uniforms with colors that aren't ours? If you see orange it is a you eye problem. That is our official legal school color on the helmets and uniforms.
I'm referring to this jersey:

When fed into this site http://www.ginifab.com/feeds/pms/pms_color_in_image.php it comes up w/ RGB 241,1,12.
UA brand standards state our red is 204,0,51
http://licensing.arizona.edu/sites/lice ... uide_0.pdf

It's not our red.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

We were talking about football uniforms.

Back in school I worked for the receiving department of the bookstore and for the team shop. We had a like 30 page book that covered every possible specific color, logo and branding trademark. If anything went onto the sales floor that was incorrect and didn't meet the school color palette or logos, we could get fined $500 per item. Yet you guys think we purposely order and use incorrect color uniforms for football or whatever? The athletic department has people who's job it is is to make sure that doesn't happen.

What's more likely...we purposely order non school color uniforms...or you just don't see colors right or understand the school colors?

splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

ASUHATER! wrote:We were talking about football uniforms.

Back in school I worked for the receiving department of the bookstore and for the team shop. We had a like 30 page book that covered every possible specific color, logo and branding trademark. If anything went onto the sales floor that was incorrect and didn't meet the school color palette or logos, we could get fined $500 per item. Yet you guys think we purposely order and use incorrect color uniforms for football or whatever? The athletic department has people who's job it is is to make sure that doesn't happen.

What's more likely...we purposely order non school color uniforms...or you just don't see colors right or understand the school colors?
Thanks for educating me on the same document I linked in my response. Helpful.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Which you obviously didn't pay attention to. For some reason you think the school purposely doesn't follow its own standards.

The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Hey, ASUHater? STFU.

Seriously.

Anytime someone points out that our current uniforms are shit, you have a bullshit response. When he shows you the grey uniforms and points out that the color doesn't match with the number codes, you simply say "..We were talking about football uniforms.." Yah, okay.

Seriously. STFU. You have nothing to add to this topic except snarky bullshit.

Our uniforms look like dogshit right now and simply playing it off as, "..that's what the kids like now.." is stupid. Kids will wear what you tell them to wear.

They hit a homerun with the basketball uniforms. Shouldn't be that hard with the football. Yet we look like shit.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I wouldn't mind a change to the uniforms. I personally think the rainbow shoulders look like shit and I'm not a huge fan if the digital clock numbers.

At least give us some new ones and if they look bad, at least it'll be a refreshing change of bad.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The Butcher wrote:Hey, ASUHater? STFU.

Seriously.

Anytime someone points out that our current uniforms are shit, you have a bullshit response. When he shows you the grey uniforms and points out that the color doesn't match with the number codes, you simply say "..We were talking about football uniforms.." Yah, okay.

Seriously. STFU. You have nothing to add to this topic except snarky bullshit.

Our uniforms look like dogshit right now and simply playing it off as, "..that's what the kids like now.." is stupid. Kids will wear what you tell them to wear.

They hit a homerun with the basketball uniforms. Shouldn't be that hard with the football. Yet we look like shit.
I added plenty to the topic other than immature girly whining about uniforms. I added actual knowledge of how things work with the trademarks. It's downright pathetic and moronic that some people think the athletic department purposely and willfully makes our uniforms the wrong color. Just is downright immature stupidity.

The uniforms are the right color. Your eyes are wrong. Accept that, grow up, and leave this discussion to the knowledgeable adults ok?

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

So wait, is the basketball uni color off or not? If it is off, then how did it get past the UA brand police? If it is not off, then why does the color analysis come up differently to UA's official colors? If the basketball uni if off brand, does that imply that UA will damn well take whatever Nike gives it, despite differences with its internal branding policy? Will an ex-bookstore clerk be able to shed any more light on this topic?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

What you get on screen will almost always vary from an actual product. You're trying to read RGB values of a photo of an item and then matching them to standards set by the school. The RGB standards are for artwork produced specifically for a screen. The fabrics have their own color specifications, and they're going to be a little different just because of the fact that it's damn near impossible to color match exactly across different types of media. Arizona has two different thread specifications for the red on its fabric, and two different for the blue.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

Yeah, not according to Mr. Snarky Bullshit above.

Everything is perfect. :lol:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The Butcher wrote:Yeah, not according to Mr. Snarky Bullshit above.

Everything is perfect. :lol:
Lol. Again I ask, what is more likely, the athletic department maliciously getting us incorrectly colored uniforms.. or your own eyes seeing things differently than other humans?

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Fishclamps wrote:I wouldn't mind a change to the uniforms. I personally think the rainbow shoulders look like shit and I'm not a huge fan if the digital clock numbers.

At least give us some new ones and if they look bad, at least it'll be a refreshing change of bad.

This.......Exactly.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Anyone else think it is just weird to have Nike design our uni's when they obviously send their top designs to Oregon? Their shit is off the hook and Arizona's designs are just second rate in comparison.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I don't think it's weird. That school is everything to Phil Knight so it's to be expected. I like a lot of their uniforms but I'd be lying if I said all of them were home runs.

They also make a ton of unis for multiple sports and some of those look terrible too. I figure the design mainly came from the university in an attempt to appeal to the kids coming in, and maybe they like it.

If it comes down to my eyeball's happiness and a 1% increase in our recruiting success, I'll bite the bullet and accept our rainbow shouldered overlords.

P.S. I think our bball uniforms look top notch, and hopefully one day we can find a happy balance where fans and players alike enjoy our football uniforms.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

I personally like our football uniforms.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Really looking forward to seeing how ASU to Adidas affects our new deal with Nike monetarily. Nike never breaks the bank per se with any of its deals with collegiate athletic departments like Adidas and Underarmour do (they have no choice, but to do so), but the ever growing state of Arizona market is important enough to garner a bit of love when we will be their only property here now. I imagine a boost to our equipment fund is a definite, which opens the door for more special uniforms/helmets, as well as more money for our coaches. From what I understand the contract is already signed, so I'm not sure what the hold up of the announcement is, especially with the timing of Greg Byrne's tweet. Let's hope it's announced Monday.
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'd be good with that.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

TyrantCat wrote:Image
Throw a blue outline on the humbers and then I would be on board for sure. I dont mind the current number font its just the damn rainbow and gradiants.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

A little reminiscent of Ol Miss, but I like it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm a fan, much better than those awful font and gradients.

NCAA made a point about Arizona's old uniforms being hard to read.

The rules:

a. Size and type
The jersey must have clearly visible, permanent Arabic numerals measuring at least 8
inches on the front of the jersey and at least 10 inches on the back. If there are
numerals on any other part of the jersey, they must correspond to the mandatory front
and back numerals

Color
The numerals must be of a color that clearly and distinctly contrasts with the color of
the jersey. This requirement for a contrasting color applies to the numeral itself,
irrespective of any border around it. If there is any question as to whether the
colors of the numerals contrast with the color of the jersey, they are deemed
NOT to contrast. To assist with designing a uniform, a white jersey should have a
dark colored number; a colored jersey should have a white or light colored number.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

I like those, TyrantCat
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

Looking for a simple solution for the uniforms--no major design overhaul. Ditch the rainbows. Go clean and classic.

If the extra Nike budget comes through, the Cats can add some Electric Boogie flair to go with the copper lids. Or something.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Looking for a simple solution for the uniforms--no major design overhaul. Ditch the rainbows. Go clean and classic.

If the extra Nike budget comes through, the Cats can add some Electric Boogie flair to go with the copper lids. Or something.
You should mock up your first design with home, road and alt sets? I am very interested in seeing what you come up with. Good Stuff. I used to designs uniforms for baseball and softball teams. when I lived in Colorado.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

3 colors is not a rainbow. It's literally two 1 inch thick stripes of sorta purple and people act like they changed our colors to teal and yellow.

BMalo

Post by BMalo »

ASUHATER! wrote:3 colors is not a rainbow. It's literally two 1 inch thick stripes of sorta purple and people act like they changed our colors to teal and yellow.
Impossible. No way would the AD order uniforms that aren't the school colors...
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

I'm with ya, Hater. The colors aren't teal and yellow. But it's the off-season--the dog days of June--and we MUST find something to kick around until the season kicks off.

So, about the unis... When the "it's not a rainbow, it's a sunset" designs first arrived, I kinda liked them. But, once I saw them on TV, the purple blend didn't work, imho.

Thankfully, the team has gradually improved and won more and bigger games in these work shirts.

Nevertheless, let's see if we can jumpstart the Nike designers. Ideas are welcome. And when I have time, 3goggles, I just might put together the sets.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

BMalo wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:3 colors is not a rainbow. It's literally two 1 inch thick stripes of sorta purple and people act like they changed our colors to teal and yellow.
Zoom over your head.

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ASUHATER! wrote:
BMalo wrote:
Zoom over your head.
White Helmet, Blue Jersey, White Pants
Blue Helmet, White Jersey Blue Pants
Red Helmet, Red Jersey and White Pants
Copper Helmet, Blue Jersey with Copper Trim on the #'s, Blue pants
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'd love to see the reactions of everyone here if you were Baylor fans. Just released their gunmetal gray uniforms. Now have 120 possible combinations.

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

BMalo wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
illcat

Post by illcat »

Lol. Again I ask, what is more likely, the athletic department maliciously getting us incorrectly colored uniforms.. or your own eyes seeing things differently than other humans?

It's Bush's fault!
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

who would need to die to make this uniform happen?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update: