67 Gerhard de Beer

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

67 Gerhard de Beer

Post by ANGCatFan »

de Beer is a 6-7, 288, redshirt Sophomore offensive lineman from Pretoria, South Africa. If you are not familiar with his journey of this rugby playing kid from South Africa to becoming a discus throwing, offensive lineman at Arizona, you can read this Steve Rivera article on de Beer. He has yet to make the field at Arizona, but he is a big, strong body who is just starting his 3rd year of football. While he is waiting for his chance to play football, de Beer has stayed busy with track winning the PAC 12 championship this year in the discus earning honorable mention All-American honors.

Will this be the first year we see de Beer on the football field?

67 is also the record for the most career TDs by an Arizona QB held jointly by Willie Tuitama (2005-8) and Nick Foles (2009-11).

Merkin

Re: 67 Gerhard de Beer

Post by Merkin »

I really doubt it unless RR has a scholie to spare. Once he sets foot on a football field his track scholarship gets assigned to the football program.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:I really doubt it unless RR has a scholie to spare. Once he sets foot on a football field his track scholarship gets assigned to the football program.
You mean in a game right? He's on the roster and I assume he practices.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:I really doubt it unless RR has a scholie to spare. Once he sets foot on a football field his track scholarship gets assigned to the football program.
You mean in a game right? He's on the roster and I assume he practices.
Correct. He just can't appear in a game. Forget the exact hierarchy, but football is at the top, and basketball is second. That's why you can see football players walking on the basketball team like Ortege Jenkins and Peter Hansen, but you don't see basketball players walking onto the football team.

When Nate Robinson played both basketball and football his scholarship was assigned to the football team.

85 football scholarships, and only 12.6 track scholarships.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

If Anu stays healthy that career TD mark is going to be absolutely obliterated...which would have been an insane thought before RR got here.