Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

threenumberones

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by threenumberones »

Huge..well done staff!
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

DeVaugh Cooper is a big get. Michigan and Washington offers are pretty good ones. Robertson is a kid from a school not known for talent. He's the first kid to get offered a D1 scholarship at his school ever and the staff offered him fairly early.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Very impressive group so far. I really like the defensive kids they have committed. I think all of those guys will be big contributors over there career at AZ.

Fingers are crossed with Lucas and Burton who you have to think were impressed with all the excitement this weekend
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

A couple good free articles at GoAZCats on 2 of our new recruits.

JJ Taylor:
"I like their offense and I like the way they run things," Taylor told GOAZCATS.com about Arizona. "Also the quarterback from Serra is going to be there."

The quarterback from Serra is of course four-star Arizona commit Khalil Tate, who has been building a nice relationship with some of the Wildcats' main targets still left on the board. Taylor was the latest recruit that the quarterback prospect had his sights set on and that meant plenty of conversations between to the two going into this weekend's visit.

"(Tate) has been hitting me up a lot." Taylor said last week. Taylor adds more speed to Arizona's 2016 class, and his ability to play running back or in the slot will give the Wildcats some more versatility for Rodriguez's offense.

As a junior Taylor rushed for 1,600 yards at Centennial to go with 27 touchdowns. He also had eight games where he rushed for more than 100 yards and he averaged 150 yards last season as well.
JJ Allen:
"It just feels like a home," Allen told GOAZCATS.com about his decision. "It's the Pac-12 South and playing in the Pac-12 has always been my dream. I found a school that fits me as a person and as a student-athlete. It has a good campus, good program and the school is great as well."

"I feel comfortable with them talking to me about the playing time," he said. "I know that's part of recruiting, but I'm planning on coming out and working my hardest. From Day 1 and since I met them at the Narbonne camp I just felt the love from all of them and not just the defensive staff.

"I talk to them every week and it just feels like home and after the trip it just feels like home too."

"It works out good because I can just focus on my school," he said about making an early decision. "I can focus on my team. I'm not committing just to commit, but I'm tired of the process and now it feels good to say I'm committed. Now I can put in work with my team and finish up school, and learn more about Arizona."

"They told me for the defensive line they want pass rushers," he said. "I feel like I'll be more athletic for the line. Arizona fans can expect me to come in ready to play. I'm coming in to bring more energy to the d-line, and I feel like I'm coming in ready to make plays."

In his freshman season at LBCC the newest Wildcat pledge third on the team with 58 tackles and the team leader in tackles for loss with 17. He was also second on the team with seven sacks and the team leader in fumble recoveries with three.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Wow, well done RichRod & Staff, sure making this weekend count.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

#6 Safety, #158 on ESPN top 300. 4 star.

Offers from Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oregon, Illinois, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Washington, and a few others.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

That's three DL commits with two others that might come later on (Murray and Utsey) that's gotta make people happy. Timmy Hamilton, Anthony Fotu, JJ Allen, Marcus Griffin, and Calvin Allen. All of those guys have some great potential and hopefully we'll have some sort of pass rush with all of these guys here next year.

We will shift to receivers now. The guys we will be losing are Cayleb Jones and David Richards. Two of our bigger guys. The only thing that concerns me right now is that we don't have much size coming in. We got Jamie Nunley greyshirting which is good it was probably gonna be a couple years till he saw the field anyway, but Taylor(5'6), Cooper (5'10), Riley(5'9), Halimon(5'9), and Raynor(5'9) are all small guys and are probably gonna end up in the slot if they don't end up at RB. Everyone wants Harry and while he has visited multiple times now it's a long-shot. I'm hoping Cayleb has a really good year and the coaches can sell him on being like him.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

FightWildcatsFight wrote: #6 Safety, #158 on ESPN top 300. 4 star.

Offers from Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oregon, Illinois, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Washington, and a few others.
The dude completely curved USC which is incredibly rare for Serra. UCLA and FSU were thought to be leaders, but with Tate constantly in his ear we could get him. Would be one of the biggest grabs we've gotten in the RR era.
TyrantCat

Post by TyrantCat »

Could Khalil Tate, QB at Serra and teammate of Burton, be the guy that gets "Both Ways" Burton to be a Wildcat?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

catinfl wrote:That's three DL commits with two others that might come later on (Murray and Utsey) that's gotta make people happy. Timmy Hamilton, Anthony Fotu, JJ Allen, Marcus Griffin, and Calvin Allen. All of those guys have some great potential and hopefully we'll have some sort of pass rush with all of these guys here next year.

We will shift to receivers now. The guys we will be losing are Cayleb Jones and David Richards. Two of our bigger guys. The only thing that concerns me right now is that we don't have much size coming in. We got Jamie Nunley greyshirting which is good it was probably gonna be a couple years till he saw the field anyway, but Taylor(5'6), Cooper (5'10), Riley(5'9), Halimon(5'9), and Raynor(5'9) are all small guys and are probably gonna end up in the slot if they don't end up at RB. Everyone wants Harry and while he has visited multiple times now it's a long-shot. I'm hoping Cayleb has a really good year and the coaches can sell him on being like him.
agree we need to grab a tall lengthy receiver.. after CJ and D1 leave we really don't have height other than Trey.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

btfd16 wrote:
catinfl wrote:That's three DL commits with two others that might come later on (Murray and Utsey) that's gotta make people happy. Timmy Hamilton, Anthony Fotu, JJ Allen, Marcus Griffin, and Calvin Allen. All of those guys have some great potential and hopefully we'll have some sort of pass rush with all of these guys here next year.

agree we need to grab a tall lengthy receiver.. after CJ and D1 leave we really don't have height other than Trey.
Tate would be a helluva receiver, but that won't happen unless he loses the job once Anu leaves. Burton is pretty tall at 6'2, but I'd rather him be playing safety.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

catinfl wrote:

The dude completely curved USC which is incredibly rare for Serra. UCLA and FSU were thought to be leaders, but with Tate constantly in his ear we could get him. Would be one of the biggest grabs we've gotten in the RR era.
Usc doesn't have him high on their list
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Makes sense. Not many Serra kids curve USC with an offer so I was surprised. UCLA wants him a lot hough correct?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Arizona QB commit Devon Modster said he’s wants Dylan Crawford and Brandon Burton with him in Tucson next year <a href="http://t.co/xU9brLJnJl">pic.twitter.com ... </p>&mdash; Matt Moreno (@MattGOAZCATS) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattGOAZCATS/status ... 8945">July 11, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Forgot about this, but add Crawford to the want list. Hasn't said much about UA, but I'm hoping he visits here soon and Modster can do some work and get him on campus. I'm sure Tate is on him too
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just thought I would throw in a couple of ASSU jokes as it seems appropriate with the season nearing.

"Why was the ASSU grad happy after taking 6 months to finish the puzzle?". "Because the box said 2-4 years".

ASSU co-ed goes to the Dr and he tells her he thinks she is overweight. She says she wants another opinion and he says OK, I think you are ugly too.

Why couldn't the ASSU grad dial 911? Because he couldn't find the 11 on the phone.

How did the ASSU coed die raking leaves? She fell out of the tree.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

@MattGOAZCATS: Jake Burton tells me he will be choosing from a list that includes Arizona, UCLA, Vanderbilt, San Diego State and Boise State
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That would be another really good defensive get. Fingers crossed. Said he would announce this week

Was here Wed thru Friday before the big group and all the excitement began
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Isn't Devaughn Cooper 6'0? Doesn't solve the tall receiver quota, but nonetheless he's bigger than some other guys. Also didn't we bring a tall receiver on campus for this? Kid from Mater Dei? He in line for an offer?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

catinfl wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
catinfl wrote:

Makes sense. Not many Serra kids curve USC with an offer so I was surprised. UCLA wants him a lot hough correct?
Not sure they know where he fits in. Probably at Receiver?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

2015 commit now a 2016 grey shirt.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Bug what's the word on Jake Burton? I think the recent visit might be good for us, but idk much about the situation.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I just read the last BRO recruiting update and they didnt even mention Jake Burton
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:I just read the last BRO recruiting update and they didnt even mention Jake Burton
So is it not a committable offer got bigger fish to fry or what?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I looked back one further and he was under the prospects to watch but no offer. He might have gotten an offer since then, but I also reread the recruiting buzz on the premium board from friday and it says UCLA has been in contact with Burton pretty heavily and was thought to be the favorite. Of course, that was written before this weekend. I think UCLA is thinking he might play TE
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I stopped by the Rivals site and Ed Lewis, the guy there, said that Matt Moreno felt like he was leaning towards UCLA
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
FightWildcatsFight

Chicat wrote:
BOOM! Loading up on 2016 defensive talent.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Another big strong defensive guy, I like it. Hope we can land one of the two D Ends/lineman in Burton or Weaver.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Gave Encinas was on 1290 and thinks with this weekends visit Brandon Burton is leaning to towards he cited the coaches and Tate as the biggest reasons! Can you imagine if we were to pull BBurton and Eletise?!!!
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Staff loves Iakopo. Greg Biggins tweeted that he impressed him at a recent camp. Should fit bandit/spur role well.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Congrats Iakopo! Another great addition to a class I'm really liking.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good Fox Sports article on the weekend commits. Here is their Scout.com analysis of 4 of the players:

Josh Allen:
"He isn't the most explosive off the edge, but he has a lot of raw strength that assists him in getting a nice consistent push off the line of scrimmage. The burst may not be elite, but he moves well in the open field and in pursuit. Allen is a finisher with violent hands. Once he has collapses on the play, he has the athleticism to close it out, breaking down and not letting the opposition escape."
JJ Taylor:
"a system back, and Arizona is the perfect system for his playing style. He's a versatile player you can move all over the field and is absolutely scary in the open field. His ability to catch the ball out of the backfield will make him especially dangerous on third downs as matched up with a linebacker is a huge mismatch. ... Taylor could use a redshirt year to get bigger and stronger but has a chance to be a talented playmaker for the program once he hits the field."
DeVaughn Cooper:
"Arizona is building something there, they have gotten better each season and they have an offense that is built to last. It is about as good an offense as there is for a wide receiver to play in."
Tyliek Raynor:
"Raynor gets through the hole in a hurry and he has the speed to get past the secondary. He has huge holes to run through, but looking beyond that he is elusive at the second level, he changes direction well and he has the vision to cut back and make a big play. Raynor also catches the ball well out of the backfield. He needs to get stronger, but has done a good job developing his body as high school career progressed."
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Solid addition to the DL - good list of offers: Washington State, Purdue, Cal, Vanderbilt, UCLA, Boise St
Last edited by CatsbyAZ on Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

boom. let's wrap up Gutwald and Cain. I know it's out there but BBurton and Eletise would be enormous. I really believe we're in the top 2 for both of them. FSU and UW will be hard to beat.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

There you go
FightWildcatsFight

Our 2016 DL class will be huge. In size and number.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:There you go
Did UCLA want him or not? I know he was offered kinda recently on the 26th, but I'm just curious. Either way it's a great pick-up. What's surprising is that Cain hasn't pulled the trigger yet. Should happen soon.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

No idea really. Probably a case of not a big enough of a relationshipship? DL is where we seem to be recruiting fine right now
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I like the upside of this kid, night take a couple years to develope but we have the JUCO kid who could come right in and Burton can redshirt, gain strength and develope and come and start after Allen graduates.

I had heard it was between us and the Bruins but I doubt UCLA is shedding a tear they did not get the committ from him. The guy I think most missed on was Colacion. That kid will be really good on the outside
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

It appears the grind and build has finally had a big effect on recruiting. This is hands down RichRods best class here so far, in "ratings", okg status and need. Really impressive so far. If we can put together a top 15 finish this season, it ought to be an easy roll downhill every year to bring in a class like this or better. Objects in motion stay in motion.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Looks like Eletise will announce his decision this upcoming Monday. Just came off a UW visit not too long ago, so I don't have my hopes up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not so fast my friend, argueably my homer glasses are on but I think we have a great shot at the big fella. He knows he is our top guy on the OLine and maybe even our top recruiting target overall.

I know he loves UDub and that he kust saw them but hey, maybe that sealed the deal for us. Fingers crossed
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Has Eletise mad a visit yet? Unofficial?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

It would've been nice to have him in town last weekend? Do you think RR makes a trip to visit him and make a last ditch effort to land this kid?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

If Eletise commits to Udub than I hope the coaches stay with it because Udub could be pretty bad this year.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Looks like he visited Arizona back in March along with USC, UCLA, and ASU.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Yes, Eletise visited in March
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

OSUCat wrote:If Eletise commits to Udub than I hope the coaches stay with it because Udub could be pretty bad this year.
Bingo.

Washington will be a 2-3 win team this year. The worst Huskie team since that truly atrocious 0-12 Willingham team in 2008. And the conference's least talented roster save Oregon State.

Stay on Eletise coaches. And whoever else they have committed.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Kids are committing knowing UW is rebuilding. That said, Jake Browning is going to be a stud for UW