18 Cedric Peterson and Brandon Rutt

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

18 Cedric Peterson and Brandon Rutt

Post by ANGCatFan »

Peterson is a 5-11, 192, Freshman receiver from Rancho Verde HS, Moreno Valley, CA. He was recruited by some schools as a running back, but both Arizona and Peterson see him as a receiver. He brings speed and the ability to run after the catch and could turn into a big playmaker. Peterson is likely a redshirt this year and will get a chance to gain strength and learn the system.

“Cedric is a really, really good football player. He was a three-year starter for us here at a high caliber football program that has produced a lot of Division I athletes. He is physical, very strong and explosive. He is great on kick-off returns. I believe they are going to have him at receiver out there so I am excited to see what he brings to Arizona football.” – Rancho Verde HS Coach Pete Duffy

“Cedric is a very athletic kid. He has good size and runs well. He can play defense as well as offense. He’s got some ability to run after the catch and some running back skills. I’m looking forward to coaching him and I’m excited to have him as a wide out.” – UA Coach Tony Dews

Rutt is a 6-1, 197, redshirt Freshman linebacker from Basha HS, Gilbert, AZ. The best thing I can say about Rutt is that he is a true walk-on who has worked hard and added value to the team so he has make the limited camp roster. Likely to be a practice squad member this year, but you never know in a no bye week season.

18 is the number of plays Jerrard Randall had either rushing or throwing the ball last year as our 3rd string QB. Randall should get plenty of time to prove he can be an effective back-up in the first 3 games and, hopefully, a couple of the games are well enough in hand we can also give Dawkins more than 18 plays this year.
ANGCatFan

Re: 18 Cedric Peterson and Brandon Rutt

Post by ANGCatFan »

NO. 18

UA leads UCLA in third quarter but loses big in 12-1 season

SCORE: No. 3 UCLA Bruins 52, No. 10 Arizona Wildcats 28

DATE: Oct. 10, 1998
Good Wildcat 18 trivia today along with some Theopolis T Bell.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ang, you are the MAN for doing this countdown.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Thanks Chi, but here is a story I only put in the countdown because my ocd requires me to.

!!Editorial Warning - Only go to the story linked below if you did not live through the dark days of Arizona football and don't believe one egotistical, incompetent coach can destroy a football program!!

Arizona football countdown: 18 days, the number of losses it took to get (a terrible coach who's name I will not write or mention) fired

The only place this cancer of a coach's name should be written is in the packet handed to each new AD, so they know how the worst hire in Arizona history happened and avoid the same mistakes. He is a case study on how to hire a program killing coach.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ANGCatFan wrote:Thanks Chi, but here is a story I only put in the countdown because my ocd requires me to.

!!Editorial Warning - Only go to the story linked below if you did not live through the dark days of Arizona football and don't believe one egotistical, incompetent coach can destroy a football program!!

Arizona football countdown: 18 days, the number of losses it took to get (a terrible coach who's name I will not write or mention) fired

The only place this cancer of a coach's name should be written is in the packet handed to each new AD, so they know how the worst hire in Arizona history happened and avoid the same mistakes. He is a case study on how to hire a program killing coach.
He didn't destroy it, but he sure did put a hurting to it.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

You're right, I should have said mostly dead.

87Cat

Post by 87Cat »

Why even mention Wacovic
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He's my favorite total embarrassment.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No body gets me more excited for UA football than Angcat!

Mackovic was COY in 3 different conferences. Also was an NFL coach. I was on the bandwagon when he was hired. Tomey destroyed any concept of offense and the fanbase lost interest, and Livengood had no choice but to bring in someone with an offensive mind.

Mackovic did well with Jason Johnson, who set records with only a limited skill set. Calling for a pass when deep in your own red zone is something most coaches won't do. JJ probably still holds the record.

But people skills were certainly lacking, with donors, fans, and especially players.

One thing I learned from this. Never hire a head coach who was fired as a head coach. RichRod of course was fired at UM, but he was more the exception than the rule.

What did we learn from Stoops? Never hire a head coach who has never been a head coach.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Never hire a head coach who was fired as a head coach.

Never hire a head coach who has never been a head coach.
Kinda limits your choices here dontcha think? :D
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote: Never hire a head coach who was fired as a head coach.

Never hire a head coach who has never been a head coach.
Kinda limits your choices here dontcha think? :D

Worked in the basketball side of the house with Lute and CSM. Hire a hot up and coming head coach from a smaller program.

ASU tried that with Koetter.