2015 Season Prediction Poll

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

What will the 'Cats regular season record be?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:42 am

Less than 4 wins
2%
5-7
No votes
6-6
No votes
7-5
2%
8-4
14%
9-3
37%
10-2
32%
11-1
10%
12-0
3%

Total votes: 59

ASUHATER!

Re: 2015 Season Prediction Poll

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:I think we will be a better football team than last year but fear our record won't reflect that
I agree. I think will score more points and generally look like a better more talented team but only finish the season with 8- 9 wins instead of 10
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Alieberman wrote:I think we will be a better football team than last year but fear our record won't reflect that
I think this is very true and quite possible

HaCats wrote:Looking at our list of D-Lineman on the roster, I have two thoughts:

1) I don't know that we've collectively ever had that sort of size on the Line and particularly....the tackles. That is encouraging.

2) What scares me is, minus Reggie Gilbert....we really have a total lack of true 'Defensive Ends'. I get that a lot of our pass rush comes from a LB playing on the edge in passing situations. I also know that technically of our 3 Lineman.....one's a Nose and one's a Tackle leaving only one starting position for an End. But Sani, Zellers, Worthy, Bruno, Sharif, Griffin and Fotu are all interior lineman. Next year with Gilbert gone, that really leaves just Calvin Allen and Jack Banda as the only true ends. It's pretty critical, in my opinion, that Allen turns out to be the real deal next year.
I agree with both comments, especially #2 but I think this recruiting class we have got some committments from some good true ends
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

ANGCatFan wrote:Bug - What are you hearing about Rosen? The latest Podcast of Champions said he has been more inconsistent then in the spring. Their Scout rep is reporting an even battle between Rosen and Neuheisel.
There seems to be a battle, but I think it's Mora just making Rosen work for it. Rosen does things pretty effortlessly so it's hard to tell if he's not trying very hard or just does it that well. He reminds me of Garrett Anderson, the former Angel. He always looked like he was just coasting, but that was just how he played. It wasn't a lack of effort
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Hansen had some interesting insight on Anu:

“Anu’s getting better, but he’s not at the level he will be by the time he’s a junior and a senior,” UA quarterbacks coach Rod Smith said, nodding toward his sophomore QB. “He’s probably a little ahead of schedule.”

A little?

Smith examined all of Arizona’s offensive snaps during spring practice and discovered that Solomon had made the proper read/play on about 85 percent of his snaps.

“We deem a 75 percent grade as winning football,” Smith said. “He was close to 85 all spring. I’d have to go back and see where he was (in 2014), but I’d guess it was about 75 percent. He did a lot of good things. He missed some things, but he did more good than bad. Remember, he was a freshman.”

http://tucson.com/sports/columnists/han ... ?id=201408
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:Bug - What are you hearing about Rosen? The latest Podcast of Champions said he has been more inconsistent then in the spring. Their Scout rep is reporting an even battle between Rosen and Neuheisel.
There seems to be a battle, but I think it's Mora just making Rosen work for it. Rosen does things pretty effortlessly so it's hard to tell if he's not trying very hard or just does it that well. He reminds me of Garrett Anderson, the former Angel. He always looked like he was just coasting, but that was just how he played. It wasn't a lack of effort
Shredding him in the media is a different approach - I guess.

“You’re not at ... Bellflower St. John Bosco,” Mora screamed. “That’s why you have not been named the starter.”

Rosen threw another Hail Mary and Mora got colorfully descriptive:

--“You can’t hit an open receiver down field with no defense.”

--“The ‘Anointed One.’”

--“Go back to Bosco and beat some more [bad] teams.”

Finally, Mora looked at the members of the media present and yelled, “Tell your readers that is why has not been named the starter.”
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Context helps. Chris Foster reported something previous that Mora didn't want out there before he addressed it. So Mora basically turned to Foster and told him that, because he knew a big deal would be made of it.

Mora has known Rosen since he moved down to take the UCLA job. His daughter was good friends with him. This looks good on a message board, nothing more :)
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:Context helps. Chris Foster reported something previous that Mora didn't want out there before he addressed it. So Mora basically turned to Foster and told him that, because he knew a big deal would be made of it.

Mora has known Rosen since he moved down to take the UCLA job. His daughter was good friends with him. This looks good on a message board, nothing more :)
What I posted above was the context as that was the whole article in the Times. Obviously Foster didn't give any context and honestly it comes off as a spin job by you but whatever.
Machina

Post by Machina »

I went through every PAC12 game. I got Uof A at 9 and 3 as of now.

South
USC 8-1 10-2
UA 6-3 9-3
Ucla 5-4 8-4
Utah 5-4 8-4
Assu 5-4 7-5
CU 1-8 5-8

North
Stanford 8-1 10-2
Oregon 8-1 10-2
Washington 3-6 5-7
Cal 2-7 4-8
WSU 2-7 5-7
OSU 1-8 3-9
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Context helps. Chris Foster reported something previous that Mora didn't want out there before he addressed it. So Mora basically turned to Foster and told him that, because he knew a big deal would be made of it.

What I posted above was the context as that was the whole article in the Times. Obviously Foster didn't give any context and honestly it comes off as a spin job by you but whatever.
Why would Chris Foster provide the context of his own friction with Mora in this article?

You are wrong on this. What Mora said was in no way out of the ordinary on a college football practice field.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Bruins01 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

Why would Chris Foster provide the context of his own friction with Mora in this article?

You are wrong on this. What Mora said was in no way out of the ordinary on a college football practice field.
Never said it was in regards to a practice field. Saying it in front of the media and asking that the media print it? Is out of the ordinary at the college level. Feel free to give me another example where a coach knowingly called out a true freshman player.

Let me add that I know for a fact that RR has said a lot worse to his QB's on the practice field. I also know for a fact that he's never called out the media to print what he said. Big difference.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

The media was going to print it anyways. That was the whole point of him saying it
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:The media was going to print it anyways. That was the whole point of him saying it
Again, he knew it and he makes his QB look like a tool. If that was the point in all this then he succeeded, but blaming it on the writer is bush league because nobody gives a crap about the writer. You can't tell me that Mora didn't know that? With the exception of the Ucla diehard message board guy - the average fan could care less about the writer and only wants to know how Rosen is doing?

Of course the other question is? How hard is it to complete a Hail Mary pass when the D isn't on the field? Not just once, but it sounds like a couple of times? Don't most QB's complete those type passes in their sleep?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

This is the Pac-12. QBs complete those passes when most of the rest of the country is asleep.

/these games are running later all the time...
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dc4azcats wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:The media was going to print it anyways. That was the whole point of him saying it
Again, he knew it and he makes his QB look like a tool. If that was the point in all this then he succeeded, but blaming it on the writer is bush league because nobody gives a crap about the writer. You can't tell me that Mora didn't know that? With the exception of the Ucla diehard message board guy - the average fan could care less about the writer and only wants to know how Rosen is doing?

Of course the other question is? How hard is it to complete a Hail Mary pass when the D isn't on the field? Not just once, but it sounds like a couple of times? Don't most QB's complete those type passes in their sleep?

The issue wasn't with completing passes, but the urgency. They were running end of game situations and Josh wasn't executing it with any big sense of rush. That's what happens when you rely on poorly construed articles with limited context or insight. Mora was much harder on an OL, but he's a true freshman who one has heard of. But that's not a story. Chris Clark is a story. Josh Rosen is a story. The freshman OL Wariboko isnt. Chris Foster wears a red shirt to every single practice.

DC I really wish you were a Bruin fan. Your relentless optimism would be refreshing for us. Plus I'd enjoy your 13-0 predictions ;)
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:

The issue wasn't with completing passes, but the urgency. They were running end of game situations and Josh wasn't executing it with any big sense of rush. That's what happens when you rely on poorly construed articles with limited context or insight. Mora was much harder on an OL, but he's a true freshman who one has heard of. But that's not a story. Chris Clark is a story. Josh Rosen is a story. The freshman OL Wariboko isnt. Chris Foster wears a red shirt to every single practice.

DC I really wish you were a Bruin fan. Your relentless optimism would be refreshing for us. Plus I'd enjoy your 13-0 predictions ;)
Bug, the spin machine in full force. It's not that big of a deal for me as an Arizona fan and I'm guessing you don't like the light it puts on Mora and that's because you're a Ucla fan. I get it, but be that as it may, what Mora did was BS because he knew how it would play out. Plain and simple. You're trying to justify it because the writer has an axe to grind or whatever but the point remains the same.

Actually have us going 10-2 this year. :D
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azgreg wrote:
Jim Mora: "Yeah, I’m an asshole. Out here, I’m an asshole." Said he needs to be tough on players during practice.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

It's crazy, because his players love him for it. It's a pretty stark contrast from Neu who was pretty mellow on his players in practice but lost it when the games were going on. It's easier to be tough early and ease up, than it is for you to be easy on players in the beginning and expect them to respond to tough love after.

I know you have Arizona at 10-2, but based on what UCLA has, you'd have them at 13-0 :)

I saw this on the rivals site, I thought it was pretty good
---------------------------
-Now, on to the biggest storyline of the day, Jim Mora let Josh Rosen have it at the end of practice. They were doing a Hail Mary drill, and Rosen casually took the snap and didn't even make the game-winning pass into the endzone. And Mora just let him have it. There was a, "This isn't Bosco!" and a, "The anointed one? Please." At one point, he turned to the media and yelled, "Tell all your readers this is why we haven't named a starter!" Clearly, Mora was upset with the way Rosen lost focus at the end of a solid workout.

-As for the actual QB race, given everything that had been written about it over the past few days, I expected to see a broken Rosen and a super confident Jerry Neuheisel. What I saw was Mike Fafaul throw at least five interceptions, Neuheisel overthrow every pass farther than 15 yards and Rosen continuing to display flashes of brilliance. I tried my best to chart most 11-on-11 throws, and I had Rosen at 8-for-8 with a touchdown playing mostly with the twos. I had Neuheisel at 2-for-7 with a near pick to Fabian Moreau. And you don't want to see Fafaul's stats. Rosen is by far the best quarterback on this team. Given Mora's rant, it's pretty clear Rosen has won this job on the field, but there's obviously been some sort of lack of focus or lack of maturity displayed elsewhere that has held him back from giving him the job.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:It's crazy, because his players love him for it. It's a pretty stark contrast from Neu who was pretty mellow on his players in practice but lost it when the games were going on. It's easier to be tough early and ease up, than it is for you to be easy on players in the beginning and expect them to respond to tough love after.

I know you have Arizona at 10-2, but based on what UCLA has, you'd have them at 13-0 :)

I saw this on the rivals site, I thought it was pretty good
---------------------------
-Now, on to the biggest storyline of the day, Jim Mora let Josh Rosen have it at the end of practice. They were doing a Hail Mary drill, and Rosen casually took the snap and didn't even make the game-winning pass into the endzone. And Mora just let him have it. There was a, "This isn't Bosco!" and a, "The anointed one? Please." At one point, he turned to the media and yelled, "Tell all your readers this is why we haven't named a starter!" Clearly, Mora was upset with the way Rosen lost focus at the end of a solid workout.

-As for the actual QB race, given everything that had been written about it over the past few days, I expected to see a broken Rosen and a super confident Jerry Neuheisel. What I saw was Mike Fafaul throw at least five interceptions, Neuheisel overthrow every pass farther than 15 yards and Rosen continuing to display flashes of brilliance. I tried my best to chart most 11-on-11 throws, and I had Rosen at 8-for-8 with a touchdown playing mostly with the twos. I had Neuheisel at 2-for-7 with a near pick to Fabian Moreau. And you don't want to see Fafaul's stats. Rosen is by far the best quarterback on this team. Given Mora's rant, it's pretty clear Rosen has won this job on the field, but there's obviously been some sort of lack of focus or lack of maturity displayed elsewhere that has held him back from giving him the job.
I sure as heck wouldn't have Ucla at 13-0 if that was the attitude of my true frosh starting QB. Lacking in focus and maturity isn't a big deal at all. :roll:

Gotta love the freshman QB who thinks he knows it all and has yet to play a college game. Makes me want to change my vote from 10-2 to 11-1. I get what Mora said and why he said it but the problem for Ucla is there isn't a true QB competition. You have a kid who knew the minute he signed his LOI that he was starting and thus feels he doesn't need to try that hard all the time. Good luck with that. Doesn't mean he's not going to be a very good QB but, I like our chances because he's going to see a 3-3-5 D for the first time and if he just goes through the motions then he's going to be a Scooby snack on more than one occasion. Not to mention his first conference road game and big game at that.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

That's probably reading too much into it. He had a great spring and Mora is just making sure complacency isn't an issue. He might struggle vs the 3-3-5 but Mazzone's system eats up those gaps.

We'll see what happens I suppose but based on how Mora has fared vs Rich Rod, I'm not too worried but that's why they play the games. I'm more worried about the physicality of the BYU game. Those types of teams have given us fits
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:That's probably reading too much into it. He had a great spring and Mora is just making sure complacency isn't an issue. He might struggle vs the 3-3-5 but Mazzone's system eats up those gaps.

We'll see what happens I suppose but based on how Mora has fared vs Rich Rod, I'm not too worried but that's why they play the games. I'm more worried about the physicality of the BYU game. Those types of teams have given us fits
66-10 I gotcha there total beatdown, but 31-26 and 17-7 aren't dominating scores. Mora has fared well, but he's beaten two mediocre Arizona teams and one good one without a healthy tailback.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:That's probably reading too much into it. He had a great spring and Mora is just making sure complacency isn't an issue. He might struggle vs the 3-3-5 but Mazzone's system eats up those gaps.

Then why did the guy post it and why did you? If everything is so hunky dory then why did the guy mention it? You try way to hard to play the spin game after the fact. If he was all that then explain again how a QB can't hit his WR on a Hail Mary pass when the D isn't on the field - not once but twice?

It's everything the guy said. Lack of focus and maturity. The guy didn't say this one practice or in this instance? Or is this once again out of context and it really was just this one time and Rosen is very mature and he is focused as anybody on the Bruins? Give me a freaking break already!! Can't wait for this game.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Spin game? Sure. Ted Miller must be trying to spin things for me too. :)

Few things are more predictable and amusing than a football coach yelling, though the level of amusement most often depends on whether the yelling is aimed at you or whether you might suffer later from guilt by association in the form of some punitive extra conditioning. Most players know that yelling is part of the football routine -- We're men! We're tough! Grrr! -- and they also know the most ominous thing a coach can do to a player is go silent.

So when published reporters gleefully recounted that UCLA coach Jim Mora berated true freshman quarterback Josh Rosen on Wednesday, readers were mostly being informed that reporters watched a football practice Wednesday and a football practice, indeed, happened while they watched. Except that when there's a QB competition on a national contender, every moment of intrigue is enlarged into a colorful headline.

When Mora, sensing a proverbial "lack of urgency" from his most touted recruit, barked, “You’re not at ... Bellflower St. John Bosco ... That’s why you have not been named the starter," was he sending a message to Rosen?

Yes.
While Jim Mora wanted to send Josh Rosen a message, that doesn't mean the freshman QB is in hot water.

Did Mora want to rattle Rosen's cage when he mocked the favorite to become the Bruins starting QB as "the anointed one" in front of his teammates?

Yes.

Did Mora want to make sure his theatrical moment was recorded for posterity when he then told members of the media, “Tell your readers that is why he has not been named the starter”?

Yes.

Should UCLA fans begin to wring their hands over this and fret that maybe Rosen isn't getting it done?

No.

Every indication is Rosen has met high expectations. His talent has not been overrated, at least in terms of how it reveals itself at practice. Mora's explosion, in fact, indicates that Rosen is front-and-center in his thoughts, and that the wheels of his coaching mind are churning forward. Where Mora was once focused on evaluating and teaching Rosen, he is now tempering his likely offensive leader, testing his emotional and psychological makeup.

Here's a phrase Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez uses a lot when talking about coaching and evaluating his quarterbacks: "We want him to be comfortable being uncomfortable." The idea is if the coach makes the stress of practice demanding, then the stress of a game in front of 90,000 fans won't feel any worse.

It starts with Mora wanting Rosen to be 100 percent zoned in on every practice rep. It continues with Mora wanting Rosen to not feel entitled and to handle hard coaching.

And, yes, Mora wants to remind Rosen that he's not yet The Man, and that, in fact, he's not going to be The Man on the 2015 Bruins, who are overflowing with veterans to whom Rosen needs to defer.

If there was one flaw on Rosen's sterling recruiting résumé, it was the perception of his ego. There were more than a few Pac-12 coaches who didn't particularly take to him during the recruiting process. I have not yet talked to him so I can't take a position on that, but no one has described Rosen as humble.

He'll learn humility. Mora will help him with that, as will offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone and teammates such as senior center Jake Brendel. The guess here is that Pac-12 defenses will help too.

The overall takeaway from the practice kerfuffle is that while Rosen is good Mora wants to reinforce to him that UCLA and the Pac-12 aren't St. John Bosco and that the focus, intensity and seriousness need to ramp up.

Only it's a lot more fun to witness that message's delivery when Mora is bellowing it.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

catinfl wrote:

66-10 I gotcha there total beatdown, but 31-26 and 17-7 aren't dominating scores. Mora has fared well, but he's beaten two mediocre Arizona teams and one good one without a healthy tailback.
Eh, last years game wasn't as close as the score was but I agree that the Myles Jack game was a little more edgy than it should have been. That being said, everyone here is pointing to that being a big game, but other than ASU last year, I dont think UCLA has won a big game under Mora. Arizona also isn't an intimidating place to play so I don't think the game will be that big of a deal. If Arizona beats up, it means the offense really took it to the UCLA defense, not that the defense stopped the offense as I expect UCLA to move the ball pretty good either way with everyone else with lots of experience sans the QB spot. St. John Bosco also ran the same version of the spread offense that Mazzone runs. The only question is how quickly Rosen can get timing down with his receivers. Three games, including a road game, and it should be in pretty good sync I would imagine.

We'll see if Ulbrich and the black paint was our good luck charm though. :)
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Dont get me wrong, Arizona certainly has the ability, the talent, and the coaching to beat UCLA. Josh Rosen will likely have some bumps on the road as a freshman. UCLA probably will lose a big game as they'll never seem to quite get it together through a whole season. I just dont see this whole thing with Rosen as much of an issue right now. Obviously if Neu beats out Rosen, even if Mora switches to Rose shortly after, I do think UCLA is likely in for an 9 win season, probably not the 10/11 win season they should have.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:Spin game? Sure. Ted Miller must be trying to spin things for me too. :)

Few things are more predictable and amusing than a football coach yelling, though the level of amusement most often depends on whether the yelling is aimed at you or whether you might suffer later from guilt by association in the form of some punitive extra conditioning. Most players know that yelling is part of the football routine -- We're men! We're tough! Grrr! -- and they also know the most ominous thing a coach can do to a player is go silent.

So when published reporters gleefully recounted that UCLA coach Jim Mora berated true freshman quarterback Josh Rosen on Wednesday, readers were mostly being informed that reporters watched a football practice Wednesday and a football practice, indeed, happened while they watched. Except that when there's a QB competition on a national contender, every moment of intrigue is enlarged into a colorful headline.

When Mora, sensing a proverbial "lack of urgency" from his most touted recruit, barked, “You’re not at ... Bellflower St. John Bosco ... That’s why you have not been named the starter," was he sending a message to Rosen?

Yes.
While Jim Mora wanted to send Josh Rosen a message, that doesn't mean the freshman QB is in hot water.

Did Mora want to rattle Rosen's cage when he mocked the favorite to become the Bruins starting QB as "the anointed one" in front of his teammates?

Yes.

Did Mora want to make sure his theatrical moment was recorded for posterity when he then told members of the media, “Tell your readers that is why he has not been named the starter”?

Yes.

Should UCLA fans begin to wring their hands over this and fret that maybe Rosen isn't getting it done?

No.

Every indication is Rosen has met high expectations. His talent has not been overrated, at least in terms of how it reveals itself at practice. Mora's explosion, in fact, indicates that Rosen is front-and-center in his thoughts, and that the wheels of his coaching mind are churning forward. Where Mora was once focused on evaluating and teaching Rosen, he is now tempering his likely offensive leader, testing his emotional and psychological makeup.

Here's a phrase Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez uses a lot when talking about coaching and evaluating his quarterbacks: "We want him to be comfortable being uncomfortable." The idea is if the coach makes the stress of practice demanding, then the stress of a game in front of 90,000 fans won't feel any worse.

It starts with Mora wanting Rosen to be 100 percent zoned in on every practice rep. It continues with Mora wanting Rosen to not feel entitled and to handle hard coaching.

And, yes, Mora wants to remind Rosen that he's not yet The Man, and that, in fact, he's not going to be The Man on the 2015 Bruins, who are overflowing with veterans to whom Rosen needs to defer.

If there was one flaw on Rosen's sterling recruiting résumé, it was the perception of his ego. There were more than a few Pac-12 coaches who didn't particularly take to him during the recruiting process. I have not yet talked to him so I can't take a position on that, but no one has described Rosen as humble.

He'll learn humility. Mora will help him with that, as will offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone and teammates such as senior center Jake Brendel. The guess here is that Pac-12 defenses will help too.

The overall takeaway from the practice kerfuffle is that while Rosen is good Mora wants to reinforce to him that UCLA and the Pac-12 aren't St. John Bosco and that the focus, intensity and seriousness need to ramp up.

Only it's a lot more fun to witness that message's delivery when Mora is bellowing it.
Ted Miller is as close to the Ucla program as I am and he's probably been to the same amount of practices as I have. So you go from a guy who covers the Bruins and is obviously at every practice - he tracked every pass thrown - to Ted Miller and his opinion from Scottsdale. Nice. Work it my man!! It's a fail but I appreciate the effort.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I havent even gotten to BRO's opinion!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Hey DC....do you have Arizona at 12-0? ;-)
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:Hey DC....do you have Arizona at 12-0? ;-)
I had us at 10-2 but after reading what Bug sent in regards to Rosen having maturity and focus issues I changed it to 11-1. :D
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

dc4azcats wrote:
I had us at 10-2 but after reading what Bug sent in regards to Rosen having maturity and focus issues I changed it to 11-1. :D
I would say those things are secondary. Rosen's biggest problem in camp is his timing is off.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
I would say those things are secondary. Rosen's biggest problem in camp is his timing is off.
I thought his biggest problem is that Mora is his coach.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

???
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm not a Mora guy. I feel he gets the least from the most.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Be that as it may, it's Mazzone doing the QB/Offense.

Though his tenure at UCLA wouldnt support your hypothesis. Shoot, he's lost what, 2 times over the past three years in the south?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
I guess we will see what happens when the gutty little Bruins visit Tucson. Forgot to add Semper Fi to the Marines in France with the stones to step up and do the right thing. :D
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Doesn't matter. If his timing is off, or he has maturity and focus issues, now, wait until he sees opposing defenses. I'm glad we catch him early. 4-0 to start the season.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Well, look who's back. How ya been?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

HaCats wrote:Looking at our list of D-Lineman on the roster, I have two thoughts:

1) I don't know that we've collectively ever had that sort of size on the Line and particularly....the tackles. That is encouraging.

2) What scares me is, minus Reggie Gilbert....we really have a total lack of true 'Defensive Ends'. I get that a lot of our pass rush comes from a LB playing on the edge in passing situations. I also know that technically of our 3 Lineman.....one's a Nose and one's a Tackle leaving only one starting position for an End. But Sani, Zellers, Worthy, Bruno, Sharif, Griffin and Fotu are all interior lineman. Next year with Gilbert gone, that really leaves just Calvin Allen and Jack Banda as the only true ends. It's pretty critical, in my opinion, that Allen turns out to be the real deal next year.

Good news....The 3-3-5 doesn't really play a true DE. He's usually playing a 4 tech and in charge of the c gap.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Anybody else notice that 6 of the teams we face TY will have new starting QB's? We will see 4 of the 6 in our first 6 games which I think will help the D. UTSA, Nevada, Ucla, ntOSU, Wazzu and UW all Starting new QB's.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

dc4azcats wrote:Anybody else notice that 6 of the teams we face TY will have new starting QB's? We will see 4 of the 6 in our first 6 games which I think will help the D. UTSA, Nevada, Ucla, ntOSU, Wazzu and UW all Starting new QB's.
Yup. Wazzu, that kid got a fair bit of PT so that's like saying Berco is a new QB (not that it will matter for Wazzu one way or another).

Sticking w/ 10-2. Only "probable loss" based on total team quality, matchups, etc. would be @USC (and I still like our chances, thanks Sark!) and probable wins would be the 3 non-confs and the 4 straight in the middle of the schedule (ntOSU, Rado, Wazzu, UW) plus maybe Utah (though the placement of that game is a definition of a trap).

I hate putting so much on one game but that UCLA game is just massive. Win that one, and we have a very strong possibility of being undefeated or 1-loss at worst going into USC. We'll see how the "anointed one" does. :-)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yup. Beat Ucla and off the deep end worst case I see us at 7-2 going to Usc. Possibly 8-1 or 9-0. Beat Ucla and a 9-3 regular season is potentially the basement prediction
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I had to change my prediction from 10-2 to 11-1. Sark is Sark and It is a possibility for USC to have 3-4 losses by the time they get to Arizona. While Arizona could have 1 or 2 losses (My guess 1 losses). I had USC doing better, but I remembered that the USC head coach is Sark.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Sark managed to get ASU and Oregon to circle those dates on the calendar. If those teams embarrass USC then he's in big big trouble.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azpenguin wrote:Sark managed to get ASU and Oregon to circle those dates on the calendar. If those teams embarrass USC then he's in big big trouble.
Don't forget Notre Dame. He said they suck as well. If I were to set the over under as to when he's fired I would make it the ND game. If they lose to Stanford and or Assu he could get fired at the bye week which is before the UW game which would make sense. If he's clean till then and they lose to ND then he could get axed after the ND game. There was a ton of pressure on Sark to begin with - but his antics just raised bar and really left Haden with very little room if he loses a game that the Sc faithful feel he shouldn't lose. Which is every game that SC plays.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Well, if he loses in Tempe, then they could Kiffin him at the airport. This could become a new Trojan tradition!
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Picked 12-0 for kicks and giggles. I think we have a decent chance to lose at either UW or Stanford, and we're basically in a toss-up against ASU, USC, and UCLA. We could potentially win all of our games though, so why not think positively?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:
dmjcat wrote:8-4 with losses to UCLA/Stanford/USC/ASU.

We still don't match up with the power running teams (too small up front defensively) and we have the slowest set of CB's I've seen in quite some time.

The best chance for a win (UCLA/SC/Stan/ASU) will be against UCLA......which I think is the key game of the year.

Haha, thx. We just locked up a great season. I guess you could be right once but lets just hope you continue to be off base.

Denson and Neal are not slow. They might have slow hips or poor technique which maybe is what you meant, but speed wise they are more than adequate.

I do agree I fear power teams and I think UCLA will morphe into a power run team but we can load up now with more bodies and stay fresh. Our backers along with our line has great experience and that should help us in our scheme.

We dropped almost 50 on Furd in RR first year and I think our offense will be electric. Furd's defense will take a step back IMO but that will be a tough game, as will USC and ASSU.
Would you and DC care to reassess your opinion regarding our "fast" DB's :lol: