Game #4 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Game #4 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Post by ANGCatFan »

Yes, I'm looking ahead and I hope the coaches are too! Players - one game at a time.

This is the most important game on the schedule and sets up the rest of the year.

Big question to watch for ucla is if Rosen is the chosen one and will he be ready for his first P12 road game?

Something I looked up today, ucla's semester starts on 21 Sept and the first classes are on Thursday, 24 Sept, before they play us on Saturday, 26 Sept. It could be a major disruption in their routine, but I'm not sure if players will even go to class that first week because of the travel to Tucson. If nothing else, they have an extra month of only football allowing Rosen and the rest of the team to put in extra work while the Wildcats are in classes.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Re: Game #3 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Post by ASUHATER! »

Game 4?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ANGCatFan

Re: Game #3 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Post by ANGCatFan »

Fixed.
Bruins01

Re: Game #4 vs UCLA Bruins discussion thread

Post by Bruins01 »

Those first two days of classes in September are part of what we called "zero week" and are not really supposed to contain any actual instruction. I bet the team will already be in Tucson. I hope so, anyway.
Last edited by Bruins01 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Crazy classes are so late. Classes at the ua started Monday

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think you will see UCLA lean on its OLine early and they will morph into a play action power running team. I think UCLA is exceptionally coached and has as good of talent as anyone in the league and that includes USC.

This will be a very difficult game and when UCLA is well coached we usually don't beat them often. Of course catching Rosen in his first conference game roadie should be an advantage but who knows. More will probably keep it simple and if we can't stop the run that play action will allow him plenty of time to throw.

As for us I think we will score and put up 30 plus. Hopefully that will be enough. I think this is also the gameday choice
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ANGCatFan wrote:ucla's semester starts on 21 Sept
ASUHATER! wrote:Crazy classes are so late. Classes at the ua started Monday
UCLA is on the quarter system, that's why classes start so late.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Oregon's kind of the same. They're on a quarter system. Classes start 3rd week of September or so and they've already played 3 football games by then. My kid always had a couple of weeks to herself at the end of summer because all her friends had already gone back to Idaho or BSU well before she would head back to Eugene.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I've never understood that and how it works with football. Do Oregon and ucla just not have student sections for the first one or two home games?

FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

ASUHATER! wrote:I've never understood that and how it works with football. Do Oregon and ucla just not have student sections for the first one or two home games?
They probably work on a skeleton crew like we do during the T-cup when it's during Thanksgiving break. They shrink the Zoo by like 75% for that game.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

Merkin wrote:
ANGCatFan wrote:ucla's semester starts on 21 Sept
UCLA is on the quarter system, that's why classes start so late.
Washington schools sometimes don't start until October. Seems like a ridiculous advantage over everyone else.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I've never understood that and how it works with football. Do Oregon and ucla just not have student sections for the first one or two home games?
They probably work on a skeleton crew like we do during the T-cup when it's during Thanksgiving break. They shrink the Zoo by like 75% for that game.
Not when I was at the university. Zona zoo was full strength for the 2004/2006 games

Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Yes, the student section is often not substantially full until classes start.
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

ASUHATER! wrote:
FightWildcatsFight wrote:
Not when I was at the university. Zona zoo was full strength for the 2004/2006 games
Interesting. Last year the Zoo was pretty much one small section of the normal ZonaZoo and the rest of the seats were sold like normal seats. It seems like a pretty big competitive advantage for ASU to have the game at home while school is in session this year.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah the 2004 game when I was a freshman was the day after thanksgiving and the zoo was full of just students

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

No surprise. The BYU defense will test him with physicality
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Pretty sure that UCLA has a policy of not allowing the media to have the same access to true freshmen as they do to other players. Surely this is something Ryan Finley should already know or could easily find out before popping off.
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Because when you piss off the media, they leave you alone?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Bruins01 wrote:Pretty sure that UCLA has a policy of not allowing the media to have the same access to true freshmen as they do to other players. Surely this is something Ryan Finley should already know or could easily find out before popping off.
So was the "policy" put in place after Myles Jack was a frosh? Or were you "popping off" without really knowing either? I say that because I distinctly remember Jack being quoted after the Arizona game his freshman year when he had that great game. I also remember him calling KaDeem "the truth" after that game as KaDeem rushed for 149 and kept his streak alive of 100 yard rushing games.

So Finley wasn't popping off and it says more about Mora not exposing his immature QB to the press than anything else. Nice effort though. Seriously.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

1 - Mora was messing with the media

2 - Bruins didn't say no access just more limited access
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

I would add that after the Fiesta Bowl loss, RS Frosh Anu faced the media after a crushing loss yet Mora isn't going to let his QB face the media. If you want your QB to lead then he needs to lead in all areas of the game. Hiding from the press isn't the quality that I would want my QB to get used to. Take the pacifier out the kids mouth.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

dc4azcats wrote:I would add that after the Fiesta Bowl loss, RS Frosh Anu faced the media after a crushing loss yet Mora isn't going to let his QB face the media. If you want your QB to lead then he needs to lead in all areas of the game. Hiding from the press isn't the quality that I would want my QB to get used to. Take the pacifier out the kids mouth.
This is about media availability mid-week during the season, not about pre- or post-game interviews...
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

That just ruins a good rant :)
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Bruins01 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:I would add that after the Fiesta Bowl loss, RS Frosh Anu faced the media after a crushing loss yet Mora isn't going to let his QB face the media. If you want your QB to lead then he needs to lead in all areas of the game. Hiding from the press isn't the quality that I would want my QB to get used to. Take the pacifier out the kids mouth.
This is about media availability mid-week during the season, not about pre- or post-game interviews...
I'm guessing he will be available when they win and not when they lose.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Perhaps a little less guessing? That kind of got you into this corner to begin with :)

What if he throws for 500 yards and 5 TD's and we lose 48-45? Why would Mora keep him sheltered from the media then?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:Perhaps a little less guessing? That kind of got you into this corner to begin with :)

What if he throws for 500 yards and 5 TD's and we lose 48-45? Why would Mora keep him sheltered from the media then?
What? This is like a carbon copy of your post on Rosen and then trying to defend it afterwards. Here's what Bruin1 wrote:

Pretty sure that UCLA has a policy of not allowing the media to have the same access to true freshmen as they do to other players. Surely this is something Ryan Finley should already know or could easily find out before popping off.

Please show me the part where he's talking about the weekly media presser?

Then he posts: This is about media availability mid-week during the season, not about pre- or post-game interviews...

Which is what happened the other day when you posted this:

Clearly, Mora was upset with the way Rosen lost focus at the end of a solid workout.

And this from the same guy:

Rosen is by far the best quarterback on this team. Given Mora's rant, it's pretty clear Rosen has won this job on the field, but there's obviously been some sort of lack of focus or lack of maturity displayed elsewhere that has held him back from giving him the job.

Which obviously got your panties in a bunch because you posted this:

That's probably reading too much into it.

If you don't like taking flack for your incomplete posts or posts that somebody is going to call you out on - then here's a suggestion? Don't post it.

If Bruin1 meant weekly media access then why didn't he say so from the get go? If you thought somebody would read "to much into" a comment from a guy who covers the Bruins in regards to Rosen and his lack of focus and maturity - then don't post it. It's an Arizona board - did you honestly think that somebody wasn't going to find that comment a little interesting?

Honestly, I thought your original post on Rosen was very telling and I appreciated the post as it gave some insight from somebody who covers the Bruins and obviously has a Bruin bias. I make a comment about it and you immediately say I'm reading to much into it. If you guys don't like somebody commenting on what you post then either don't post at all or let it stand for what it you originally intended it to be.

Bruin1 takes a dig at Finley for "popping off" and then when he's called on it says he didn't mean after games like when Jack was quoted but only the weekly media presser. Not sure that is even true as I think Jack was on just about every college football show etc the week after the Arizona game but again, I'm guessing that was different and one of you will clarify it for me.
Last edited by dc4azcats on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Mora's policy is generally allowing the team captains to be the ones who speak during the week. Im assuming Rosen won't be a team captain and certainly won't be readily available to speak at the media's whim. Nobody said there wouldnt be access, just limited access. What Mora deams "limited", I guess we'll find out.

Generally speaking, making sweeping generalizations off tweets is never a good way to base your arguments on
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:Mora's policy is generally allowing the team captains to be the ones who speak during the week. Im assuming Rosen won't be a team captain and certainly won't be readily available to speak at the media's whim. Nobody said there wouldnt be access, just limited access. What Mora deams "limited", I guess we'll find out.

Generally speaking, making sweeping generalizations off tweets is never a good way to base your arguments on
I'm suppose to know that Bruin1 was talking about weekly media access in a post where he doesn't mention it?

I'm also suppose to know that when you post something that is critical of a Bruin player I shouldn't read to much into it because you didn't post it for anybody to be critical of it and if they are then they're just "making sweeping generalizations"? Are you saying that what you posted was a tweet? So the guy really didn't mean what he tweeted? Or was the 8-8 part accurate but the lack of focus and maturity wasn't?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:Mora's policy is generally allowing the team captains to be the ones who speak during the week. Im assuming Rosen won't be a team captain and certainly won't be readily available to speak at the media's whim. Nobody said there wouldnt be access, just limited access. What Mora deams "limited", I guess we'll find out.

What I find funny is I've yet to hear either one of you say I'm obviously mistaken in regards to Jack and he really wasn't on every college football show the week after the Arizona game. Or was Jack the exception and they bent the rules for him but they won't do it for Rosen?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I think the problem is here is that you are taking random comments and applying them to other random comments.

Let's start what Bruins01 said

You responded with
So was the "policy" put in place after Myles Jack was a frosh? Or were you "popping off" without really knowing either? I say that because I distinctly remember Jack being quoted after the Arizona game his freshman year when he had that great game. I also remember him calling KaDeem "the truth" after that game as KaDeem rushed for 149 and kept his streak alive of 100 yard rushing games.

So Finley wasn't popping off and it says more about Mora not exposing his immature QB to the press than anything else. Nice effort though. Seriously.

What does Myles Jack have to do with anything? I did a search, albeit not more than a few minutes worth, and didn't find him littered all over the sports world after the Arizona game. I'm sure he was made available to the press however. Were there multiple instances of him appearing in the media before? But this is ignoring the fact that Bruins01 clearly stated "not having the same access". I would assume that appearing occasionally would probably qualify it in that way. I'm willing to bet he may way less appearances in the media than Brett Hundley, Cassius Marsh, Erick Kendricks, Anthony Barr, and Jordan Zumwalt.

It seems you are arguing that Mora has never allowed a freshman to speak to the media, which Rosen will be doing, ever.

I would add that after the Fiesta Bowl loss, RS Frosh Anu faced the media after a crushing loss yet Mora isn't going to let his QB face the media. If you want your QB to lead then he needs to lead in all areas of the game. Hiding from the press isn't the quality that I would want my QB to get used to. Take the pacifier out the kids mouth

Good for Anu. But Anu was also selected as the team captain. That is kind of a key element. Guessing who UCLA's captains will be on offense, it will likely be Jake Brendel and either Paul Perkins of Jordan Payton. I'm guessing in Rosen's second year of the program, like Anu, he'll probably be a team captain and will face the music for his wins and losses

what? This is like a carbon copy of your post on Rosen and then trying to defend it afterwards. Here's what Bruin1 wrote:

Then he posts: This is about media availability mid-week during the season, not about pre- or post-game interviews...

Clearly, Mora was upset with the way Rosen lost focus at the end of a solid workout.

Rosen is by far the best quarterback on this team. Given Mora's rant, it's pretty clear Rosen has won this job on the field, but there's obviously been some sort of lack of focus or lack of maturity displayed elsewhere that has held him back from giving him the job.

If you don't like taking flack for your incomplete posts or posts that somebody is going to call you out on - then here's a suggestion? Don't post it.

If Bruin1 meant weekly media access then why didn't he say so from the get go? If you thought somebody would read "to much into" a comment from a guy who covers the Bruins in regards to Rosen and his lack of focus and maturity - then don't post it. It's an Arizona board - did you honestly think that somebody wasn't going to find that comment a little interesting?

Honestly, I thought your original post on Rosen was very telling and I appreciated the post as it gave some insight from somebody who covers the Bruins and obviously has a Bruin bias. I make a comment about it and you immediately say I'm reading to much into it. If you guys don't like somebody commenting on what you post then either don't post at all or let it stand for what it you originally intended it to be.

Bruin1 takes a dig at Finley for "popping off" and then when he's called on it says he didn't mean after games like when Jack was quoted but only the weekly media presser. Not sure that is even true as I think Jack was on just about every college football show etc the week after the Arizona game but again, I'm guessing that was different and one of you will clarify it for me.

There are some many random thoughts in here, pulling in different, irrelevant posts, it's really hard to even hazard a guess as to what you are saying. Sorry.

I'm suppose to know that Bruin1 was talking about weekly media access in a post where he doesn't mention it?

I'm also suppose to know that when you post something that is critical of a Bruin player I shouldn't read to much into it because you didn't post it for anybody to be critical of it and if they are then they're just "making sweeping generalizations"? Are you saying that what you posted was a tweet? So the guy really didn't mean what he tweeted? Or was the 8-8 part accurate but the lack of focus and maturity wasn't?

If you weren't sure, you could have just asked for clarification. It generally does help. I posted one view of a player for one aspect. I had posted another view, but I'm assuming it didn't fit what you were looking for in this tête-à-tête.

What I find funny is I've yet to hear either one of you say I'm obviously mistaken in regards to Jack and he really wasn't on every college football show the week after the Arizona game. Or was Jack the exception and they bent the rules for him but they won't do it for Rosen?

Not sure why it's funny. As posted above, the Myles Jack comment is really irrelevant. And maybe he was on every show, but I couldn't find a comment from Mora saying he never let's Freshman speak to the media during the season. Did you find one? If so, I'd happily recant my comments. Until then, I'm afraid you are sadly mistaken. Listening to a Ryan Finley, whoever he is, on a UCLA related football matter, might have been the first error of this whole dialog. You are reading a tweet of a guy probably reading an article about an interview Mora had. And I'm willing to bet Mora lets Rosen speak to the media multiple times. And I also bet that Mora will never give his players the silent treatment. He might be vocal and critical, but he'll continue teaching and coaching.

And what's with all of the snippy comments? 3-0 bothering you that much? *token eye black comment* :)

Cheers to an exciting game, one the Cats are looking forward to some revenge on. Hopefully Rosen is up to speed by that game
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Holy wall of text. Can the season just fucking start so people can place all their panty up energy and frustration into the games instead of these forums?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:I think the problem is here is that you are taking random comments and applying them to other random comments.

Let's start what Bruins01 said

You responded with

What does Myles Jack have to do with anything? I did a search, albeit not more than a few minutes worth, and didn't find him littered all over the sports world after the Arizona game. I'm sure he was made available to the press however. Were there multiple instances of him appearing in the media before? But this is ignoring the fact that Bruins01 clearly stated "not having the same access". I would assume that appearing occasionally would probably qualify it in that way. I'm willing to bet he may way less appearances in the media than Brett Hundley, Cassius Marsh, Erick Kendricks, Anthony Barr, and Jordan Zumwalt.

It seems you are arguing that Mora has never allowed a freshman to speak to the media, which Rosen will be doing, ever.

I would add that after the Fiesta Bowl loss, RS Frosh Anu faced the media after a crushing loss yet Mora isn't going to let his QB face the media. If you want your QB to lead then he needs to lead in all areas of the game. Hiding from the press isn't the quality that I would want my QB to get used to. Take the pacifier out the kids mouth

Good for Anu. But Anu was also selected as the team captain. That is kind of a key element. Guessing who UCLA's captains will be on offense, it will likely be Jake Brendel and either Paul Perkins of Jordan Payton. I'm guessing in Rosen's second year of the program, like Anu, he'll probably be a team captain and will face the music for his wins and losses

what? This is like a carbon copy of your post on Rosen and then trying to defend it afterwards. Here's what Bruin1 wrote:

There are some many random thoughts in here, pulling in different, irrelevant posts, it's really hard to even hazard a guess as to what you are saying. Sorry.

If you weren't sure, you could have just asked for clarification. It generally does help. I posted one view of a player for one aspect. I had posted another view, but I'm assuming it didn't fit what you were looking for in this tête-à-tête.

Not sure why it's funny. As posted above, the Myles Jack comment is really irrelevant. And maybe he was on every show, but I couldn't find a comment from Mora saying he never let's Freshman speak to the media during the season. Did you find one? If so, I'd happily recant my comments. Until then, I'm afraid you are sadly mistaken. Listening to a Ryan Finley, whoever he is, on a UCLA related football matter, might have been the first error of this whole dialog. You are reading a tweet of a guy probably reading an article about an interview Mora had. And I'm willing to bet Mora lets Rosen speak to the media multiple times. And I also bet that Mora will never give his players the silent treatment. He might be vocal and critical, but he'll continue teaching and coaching.
And what's with all of the snippy comments? 3-0 bothering you that much? *token eye black comment* :)

Cheers to an exciting game, one the Cats are looking forward to some revenge on. Hopefully Rosen is up to speed by that game
Wow!! Speaking of generalizations??
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

I got through 10 words of that.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Mora is a chode. That is all.

Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Sage&Silver wrote:
I'm sure Bug and Bruin1 have a really good explanation for this. No doubt it has to do with the LA Times having an axe to grind against Ucla and the whole thing is really just a simple case of mistaken identity. ;)
Last edited by dc4azcats on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

dc4azcats wrote:I'm sure Bug and Bruin1 have a really good explanation for this. No doubt it has to do with the LA Times having an axe to grind against Ucla and the whole thing is really just a simple case of mistaken identity.
Oh jesus christ.
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Of course bail set at $100k means this wasn't a case of stealing a candy bar from the local 7/11.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bruins01 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:I'm sure Bug and Bruin1 have a really good explanation for this. No doubt it has to do with the LA Times having an axe to grind against Ucla and the whole thing is really just a simple case of mistaken identity.
Oh jesus christ.
Well I mean that's what ucla fans do when anything negative comes out.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azgreg wrote:
Thing is as Scheer mentioned in a tweet - if you're robbing a guy for his phone - why don't you just ask a booster for one?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dc4azcats wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Thing is as Scheer mentioned in a tweet - if you're robbing a guy for his phone - why don't you just ask a booster for one?
I love the Matt Stainbrook reference.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

azgreg wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
azgreg wrote:
I love the Matt Stainbrook reference.
He apparently took the phone "by force". No idea what he was thinking and I'm guessing he's having similar thoughts right now.
Last edited by dc4azcats on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

3:30 am? Any bets on whether alcohol was involved?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Merkin wrote:3:30 am? Any bets on whether alcohol was involved?
I'm guessing he got a little sauced, ya. Sucks that he blew a great opportunity. I'm assuming it gets pleaded down from a felony
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

dc4azcats wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:
I'm sure Bug and Bruin1 have a really good explanation for this. No doubt it has to do with the LA Times having an axe to grind against Ucla and the whole thing is really just a simple case of mistaken identity. ;)
Last time we had a football player arrested for stealing something, Arizona happily took one of the players involved. I expect no difference here

3-0 is REALLY hurting you these days :)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Deflect! DEFLECTTTT!!!

dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

MrBug708 wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:
Last time we had a football player arrested for stealing something, Arizona happily took one of the players involved. I expect no difference here
As did UW and CU. Maybe Ucla can do a raffle this time since I'm sure Arizona won't be the only school interested.