2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
whatisee wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:How many two stars are starting for you guys this year?
2 i believe

Scoobie and Nate Philips who everyone seems to be sleeping on for some reason
Sammy Morrison, Jamar Allah, and Derrick Turituri as well.

Also, Jake Matthews, Sir Thomas Jackson, and Parker Zellers on the two deep are all former starters and walk ons.

de Beer on the two deep is a zero star, played rugby and throws for the track team.
If we're talking two deep might as well throw in Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, Tony Ellison, Levi Walton, T.D. Gross, and Cody Ippolito (when healthy).
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

MrBug708 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
whatisee wrote:
2 i believe

So 5 starters?
We also have only 5 starters who were 4*'s don't see the point you're making here? The fact of the matter is that the majority of our team are 3* players. It's not like he takes 10 2*'s a class either. It's usually not more than three to four guys a class.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Luca Bruno, no?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:Personally I don't care if it's a 2,3,4 star contributing or starting for AZ. I already know AZ can be competitive. At this point in my Fandom, I more interested in the Rose Bowl/ Pac12 Championship results. Not perennial Rose Bowl appearances, just one. Personally, don't expect AZ to be a perennial RB team, ever. They can prove me wrong, would be ecstatic with this.

So far, AZ hasn't ever produced any of these. Until they do, personally it' too obvious and too difficult for me to ignore the Oregons, Stanfords, USCs and their recruiting class rankings. Or out of conference, the schools that have perennial top 10 classes and their results. Does anyone think those other coaches do better evaluating or developing recruits than RR/staff and get results they do by leaps and bounds and get to the RB or get championships? Doesn't it make sense they just have more talented recruits? Certainly don't think they can out-coach RR and staff. Especially the schools I listed have had multiple coaches and still went back to the RB or other. They all do better at evaluating? I personally don't believe that.

I certainly don't think those school's coaches do a better job of evaluating and developing recruits than RR and staff and achieve the results they do. It's great that AZ can find a 2 star nugget and develop. I'm cool with that. Can AZ do that and get to RB please...

Personally, feel it's about depth and not the here and there recruits that thrive that will get AZ to RB. RR has said it, would like more depth at more positions. Which tells me some recruits they evaluated not making the cut. Happens at every school. Another way, would some of the 2/3 stars mentioned that are starting be starting for other Pac12 team favorites this year? Who knows, maybe, maybe not.

Impressed that Nate Phillips a 2 star thrives in the Offense. It's a great offense. Proud I can brag about Scooby to friends. Others listed are playing for a defense that still has to prove itself. Without Scooby not sure what it would look like. Those 2/3 stars mentioned until this season (except Morrison) have played for a defense that finished closer to the bottom in FBS in some categories, Bottom half in other categories. Near the last in Pac12 in many categories. Not that impressed with that. Still a fan of theirs. Happy they're making most of their opportunities. But that's a different topic.

We'll see what happens this season.
Good post man. Well said.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ChooChooCat wrote:
whatisee wrote:
2 i believe

Our CB's on the depth chart are really undersized... At least until McCall returns - but we should have good speed at the position.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

catinfl wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
whatisee wrote:
2 i believe

So 5 starters?
We also have only 5 starters who were 4*'s don't see the point you're making here? The fact of the matter is that the majority of our team are 3* players. It's not like he takes 10 2*'s a class either. It's usually not more than three to four guys a class.
Wasnt making a point yet. I was curious as to how many starters were 2*. Was that on all scouting services? Or just one, while others had them at 3 stars?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

We also have only 5 starters who were 4*'s don't see the point you're making here? The fact of the matter is that the majority of our team are 3* players. It's not like he takes 10 2*'s a class either. It's usually not more than three to four guys a class.[/quote]

Wasnt making a point yet. I was curious as to how many starters were 2*. Was that on all scouting services? Or just one, while others had them at 3 stars?[/quote]

That's all from memory. I know they were 2* on one site, but a lot of sites differentiate on the kids. So some were straight 2*'s some were mixed 2 *'s on some sites and 3*'s on others.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

All the star rankings I posted were from Rivals, I'm not sure where they were ranked elsewhere.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I wish we had recruited the 2-3 star players coker recruited to UTSA. They looked a lot better then our 2-3 star players especially on the lines.

Recruiting 2-3 star players has always worked for us considering our last outright conference title in football was in 1941....oohhhhh wait
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:I wish we had recruited the 2-3 star players coker recruited to UTSA. They looked a lot better then our 2-3 star players especially on the lines.

Recruiting 2-3 star players has always worked for us considering our last outright conference title in football was in 1941....oohhhhh wait
If you think we don't recruit 4 and 5 star players, you're nuts.

It's a matter of them choosing us over teams like USC, Oregon, UCLA, Alabama, Florida, etc. We can send them all the letters and text messages in the world, but if they don't want to be Wildcats, what exactly is the coaching staff supposed to do?

When we consistently win, we'll get better recruits. End of story.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Well we are never going to win big unless we have great players so basically we are F@cked

Or we can keep investing in our facilities and go that route like an Oregon

But even a great coach like rich Rod can't make us great with average players especially on the o and d lines. Every year we get so exposed there in games, didn't realize this year it would be against the university of Texas..... At San Antonio
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:Well we are never going to win big unless we have great players so basically we are F@cked

But even a great coach like rich Rod can't make us great with average players especially on the o and d lines. Every year we get so exposed there in games, didn't realize this year it would be against the university of Texas..... At San Antonio
We won big last year, with a less talented team. The game at Oregon comes to mind. So do the 9 other wins that put us in a really big time bowl.

If RichRod consistently gives us 8, 9, and 10 win seasons, the talented players will begin to take notice. Especially since we don't have a huge talent base that would keep them from seeing the field. The question for 4 and 5 star players will start to shift from "Do I want to go to Arizona and play on a mediocre team?" to "Arizona is a good team, so would I rather start there or get buried on the bench at USC/Oregon/etc?".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat, you and I are just going to disagree as we simply view the world differently when it comes to Arizona sports no need to take up this recruiting thread discussing it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I would just like to point out that Arizona landed 3 4 star defensive recruits in 2014 (Cobb, Ware, Griffin) and not a single one of them played a snap on the defensive side of the ball last night irregardless of the fact that our defense was fifty shades of sh*t. Arizona's luck with highly rated guys sucks to say the least and there's more than enough precedence to make such a statement.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ChooChooCat wrote:I would just like to point out that Arizona landed 3 4 star defensive recruits in 2014 (Cobb, Ware, Griffin) and not a single one of them played a snap on the defensive side of the ball last night irregardless of the fact that our defense was fifty shades of sh*t. Arizona's luck with highly rated guys sucks to say the least and there's more than enough precedence to make such a statement.
I was wondering that too while watching Jake Matthews and Carter Hehr get burned by WAC TEs all night. Where is the LB muscle we recruited two seasons ago? Speaking of TEs, Trevor Wood anyone? Dare I ask if any of these higher profile recruits will break free?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I would just like to point out that Arizona landed 3 4 star defensive recruits in 2014 (Cobb, Ware, Griffin) and not a single one of them played a snap on the defensive side of the ball last night irregardless of the fact that our defense was fifty shades of sh*t. Arizona's luck with highly rated guys sucks to say the least and there's more than enough precedence to make such a statement.
I was wondering that too while watching Jake Matthews and Carter Hehr get burned by WAC TEs all night. Where is the LB muscle we recruited two seasons ago? Speaking of TEs, Trevor Wood anyone? Dare I ask if any of these higher profile recruits will break free?

You'll have to wait a year on Wood. Out for the season.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Found our next RB/slot receiver:

Nationally Ranked HS Football Team Features 4-Foot-5 Senior Running Back

http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/caps- ... nning-back
-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Antonio Smothers, who came in with Cobb and Ware and was fairly highly rated, and he as well amounted to shit. That entire LB class has been a major failure if not a single one of them could beat out Haden Gregory, who has been in the program for a total of one semester.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Trying to be clear what you're suggesting. That coaches miss-evaluated, players underachieving, mix of both or not sure or none of the obove?

Personally. For every Scooby, there's at least 1 higher ranked (or more) that can't make the two deep. Happens most schools. Many like to point out the 2 stars that thrive but omit the 3,4 that don't and coaches recruit. It's more common than publicize. Evaluation issue?

But if us fans want to trust, we have to consider the whole picture.

I want to be clear. I believe RR is a great coach. staff better than most evaluating I believe. Results will prove this out OR not. There's no magic wand.

Depth an issue. Depth of recruiting classes. Imo
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

More pointing out that Arizona's history with 4 stars and above is shaky at best in regards to the debate about how stars matter. This program has a history of highly rated prospects not living up to their rankings and most are on the defensive side of the ball or the offensive line. It's ridiculously concerning to be honest.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Newportcat wrote:Well we are never going to win big unless we have great players so basically we are F@cked

Are you still banging the indoor stadium drum? So that will magically turn us into the next Oregon?

Jesus Christ, Newport, your whining after every loss and every close win is really, really irritating. The staff is doing the best they can with the resources they've been given, and I'm sure Byrne is too. So what's your damned solution? Quit bitching about the problem unless you've got a better idea on how to fix it than the current administration does.

Oh, and in case you didn't notice: UTSA's 2 and 3* guys lost to ours. You sure you'd rather have them?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Yes Arizona's recruiting of 4 stars has had some misses for sure like Logan Stott, Ware, Cobb, Poland, etc.

BUT we also have landed some 4 stars over the years who were or are pretty good players like Gronk, Kadeem, Anu, Matt Scott, Nick Wilson, Marquis Flowers, etc. Recruiting is a total crap shot and I think guys like Ware, Cobb, Griffin, Poland, probably have great natural talent but are knuckleheads or dont want to work, etc. Just like I knew really smart kids from my high school who haven't amounted to sh*t where as I was not the best student in high school, did not go to an Ivy League school (I guess Arizona is the Harvard of Southern Arizona), but have done fairly well in the real world. Would I have bet on me over some of those smarter kids from my high school when we graduated high school, probably not. Because there are plenty of other smarter people from my high school who have kicked ass and doing great and performing at a level you would have expected them to perform at. Yes it sucks when a 4 star sucks for us but should we not have recruited guys like Gronk then or Kadeem or Nick Wilson or Anu? I feel like for every 4 star who has sucked for us, there is a 4 star who has performed very well and made a big impact. I feel like for every 2-3 star player who has performed very well for us, there is about 10 2-3 star players who never did sh&t for us.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Honestly based on the numbers for every 4 star we've landed 2 of them haven't been worth much of shit. Look back from the Stoops era to now. I'm not for not recruiting 4 stars and above, I'm not dumb, just pointing out Arizona has terrible luck when it does land them, specifically anywhere on defense and on the OL.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Honestly based on the numbers for every 4 star we've landed 2 of them haven't been worth much of shit. Look back from the Stoops era to now. I'm not for not recruiting 4 stars and above, I'm not dumb, just pointing out Arizona has terrible luck when it does land them, specifically anywhere on defense and on the OL.
Our luck with five stars is even worse. Not that there's been many (only a few), but I think Golden is the only one who did anything. They either suck (Holmes) or never make it here (Long).
-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Honestly based on the numbers for every 4 star we've landed 2 of them haven't been worth much of shit. Look back from the Stoops era to now. I'm not for not recruiting 4 stars and above, I'm not dumb, just pointing out Arizona has terrible luck when it does land them, specifically anywhere on defense and on the OL.
Our luck with five stars is even worse. Not that there's been many (only a few), but I think Golden is the only one who did anything. They either suck (Holmes) or never make it here (Long).
Golden was only a 4 star as well, but he's one of the best defensive 4 stars we've ever had outside of Marquis Flowers.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

This article says Scout had him as a five star:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/2008/02 ... a-signees/
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think OL and DL are the toughest to evaluate. Those guys dominate size-wise at the high school level so it's tough to determine weaknesses. With skill positions you can either throw, run, catch or you can't.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:This article says Scout had him as a five star:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/2008/02 ... a-signees/
They were the only ones. Ugh why are there so many scouting services that use the same exact measuring stick lol? Who has the time to search all these sites to see where they were rated?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
I think OL and DL are the toughest to evaluate. Those guys dominate size-wise at the high school level so it's tough to determine weaknesses. With skill positions you can either throw, run, catch or you can't.
Just saw this post and that's an absolutely great point. Would explain why many of our 4 stars did not live up to their rating.
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

FightWildcatsFight wrote:
Sheeeeit. Fingers crossed he stays. At least here he's guaranteed a starting spot...
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

qwertyus wrote:
FightWildcatsFight wrote:
Sheeeeit. Fingers crossed he stays. At least here he's guaranteed a starting spot...
He's enrolling in the Spring...he's not even playing JC this year, so let's hope he stays. Although him crying 'tears of joy' has me worried
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

error. Alabama error
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

So is it in poor form to say

#ontothenextone

Alabama, that is going to be tough to get him to stay with us
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I know Woods and at least one other kid stayed with us after a Bama offer
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Even Stoops beat out Carroll and SC for Louis Holmes.

Who knows if he even has a commitable offer from Bama. I wouldnt sweat it out right now
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:I know Woods and at least one other kid stayed with us agter a Bama offer
Denson
-JB
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

"I asked what their interest level was because it didn't make sense to trip out there without an offer and that's when he told me they were offering me a scholarship and wanted to get me on campus. I was blown away. I talked to my mom and she's encouraging me to take the visit. I never thought I would have the opportunity to see a school like Alabama so I would love to go and check them out and see how I like it."

Allen has a strong relationshop with the Arizona staff and it will take a lot to get him off his Wildcat commitment.
"I talk to those guys all the time," Allen said. "Coach Dews is my main recruiter but I talk with all the coaches. Arizona was one of the first schools to offer me and believed in me before anyone else. I definitely feel a sense of loyalty to them because of that and I'm looking forward to getting out there for an official visit. I've been twice but the official visit will be good. I'll probably go out there with London Iakopo when they have their bye (Oct. 24) and that should be fun."

"I'm solid with Arizona but I'll see what the trips are like. USC is also coming back in the picture a little and wants me to attend their game this weekend so I'll go check them out. That's a school I liked a lot early on but like I said, I'm loyal to Arizona and it will be hard to pull me away from there."
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They need an earlier signing date, like the first week in August. I think we will keep this kid but it's pins and needles until February for sure
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:They need an earlier signing date, like the first week in August. I think we will keep this kid but it's pins and needles until February for sure
I believe JC transfers can sign in December.
-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

At least we have that going for us, which is nice :)
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

A budding politician. Here's what he just told us in plainer English: Buh bye
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

That's what I read. Translation is "Holy hell, Alabama wants me? Screw Arizona"
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

What I read is "Alabama wants me? wow." I didn't get a sense that he was already out the door. On his Arizona official visit just have him meet with Trevor Wood, Denson, and other Alabama recruits that picked Arizona. Just any other recruitment, keep on him and sell playing time and the other bonuses of the Arizona program. I will be more worried after his official with Alabama (if there is one).

A bonus for the cats, he wants to sign in December so he can start spring classes. Alabama is late to this game.

I'm pretty sure you guys said the same thing about the other players that had Alabama offers.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

- So, uh, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the prom you know, with me....
It's no big deal, whatever I mean, if you want.

- See, the thing is, I heard a rumor that this guy I like was gonna ask me.

- Uh huh...

- Yeah, so...I'm gonna wait and see what happens there...But that sounds great, yeah.

- Okay... So is that a yes or a no?

- I think I was very clear, Ted. If everything else falls apart, ... maybe.

- I'm gonna hold you to that!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

To be fair with Trevor Woods and Denson examples, they had stronger ties/connections with AZ (hometown, coach, family) that kept AZ favored. Who knows what Allen will ultimately do.

Now that Alabama offered, expect other brand schools will notice (USC) and see how Allen season goes. Don't think it will be just Alabama to worry about. Sounds like Allen's mom could be a strong influence here as well.

Would assume Rich Rod and staff going to let Allen shop around and let Allen take official visits. Some would argue this goes against his policy since a Ala visit came after AZ commitment. I always thought Rich Rod was inconsistent on this policy with level/need of player. But that's me.

Let see. Helps London Iakopo already committed to AZ
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm now in the kids will be kids camp and will be surprised if he honors his commitment to us.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:At least we have that going for us, which is nice :)

We'll know he flipped sooner! :D
-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chicat wrote:- So, uh, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the prom you know, with me....
It's no big deal, whatever I mean, if you want.

- See, the thing is, I heard a rumor that this guy I like was gonna ask me.

- Uh huh...

- Yeah, so...I'm gonna wait and see what happens there...But that sounds great, yeah.

- Okay... So is that a yes or a no?

- I think I was very clear, Ted. If everything else falls apart, ... maybe.

- I'm gonna hold you to that!

Classic Woogy, I mean Chi :)
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:To be fair with Trevor Woods and Denson examples, they had stronger ties/connections with AZ (hometown, coach, family) that kept AZ favored. Who knows what Allen will ultimately do.

Now that Alabama offered, expect other brand schools will notice (USC) and see how Allen season goes. Don't think it will be just Alabama to worry about. Sounds like Allen's mom could be a strong influence here as well.

Would assume Rich Rod and staff going to let Allen shop around and let Allen take official visits. Some would argue this goes against his policy since a Ala visit came after AZ commitment. I always thought Rich Rod was inconsistent on this policy with level/need of player. But that's me.

Let see. Helps London Iakopo already committed to AZ
He is sitting out this season so he has an extra year