Attendance

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Attendance

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:BYU playing a true road game in Tucson is much different than a 50/50 neutral game. apples and oranges
I am not going to discuss something further with you since you cannot see the big picture, think through things and think of our fan base as being so petty that the difference of 10k in attendance is the difference of winning the South and having a really good year.

You could say at BYU in Arizona increases the average attendance by X so it is reasonable to foresee Y percent of fans for BYU at that game. But you see oranges instead.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lol. Byu has a big fan base that travels and a big fan base in Phoenix. Just is a fact. They will easily have 20k plus in glendale.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

UofP Stadium capacity is 63K+ depending on the configuration they decide to go with(they can add seats to the endzone). The Fiesta Bowl attendance was 66k. I think we can get a comparable attendance for the BYU game. I would guess 40k for UA and 23k for BYU...this assumes that Arizona has a great 2015 season and high expectations going into that game. If Arizona stumbles in 2015, we'd be lucky to have 25k in the stadium with the Arizona fair weather fans.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:total guess here but I would assume we would lose several thousand seats that way. still think it's a good idea though. keep the bleachers in the zona zoo.
That's where I think we need seats the most since everyone crowds into the center and it looks like shit on television because it looks empty at the goal lines.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah but it'd reduce the overall capacity of the zoo by a bit.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah but it'd reduce the overall capacity of the zoo by a bit.
I'm guessing those that would miss out on tix are the ones who are less interested and would have left early anyway.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Still generally not a good idea, especially when the program is rising. Besides do we want nice hardback seats the students will stand on and break?

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:So I think #BeTheOne is primarily for a revenue issue. Especially where the administration coming from. Greg Byrne multiple times lists Arizona Football attendance as a top priority and top concern. He's been on record that attendance an area where it can impact revenue faster than other areas (opportunity). Sure stay entire game, that's an issue.
Be The One is not "just" a revenue issue. I believe that administration truly wants to keep RR happy and a big part of that is filling the seats. He routinely asks, "is there is a full house" and "where is everyone?" It is also about recruiting. Yeah, kids want to play for a good coach at a good school but they also want to be on a national stage. The administration and RR want to be on a national stage. It is not revenue for revenue sake, it is what that revenue represents, it represents that Arizona is relevant. Isn't that what everyone wants? The "national attendance" issue is a cop out. We should be selling out all of the in-conference games. They all matter, didn't last season teach us anything? And when our out-of-conference games are up to snuff..those should sell out too...else we'll continue to be a second rate program.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Regarding chair back seating in AZ Stadium... GB didn't mention the zonazoo section bleachers being replaced or not in the interview. He talked about what's next and the "tease" about moving away from bleacher seating to chair backs.

He applied the price tag of $125 - $150 million to do that. So I assume he's looked into it. The price tag was for ingress/egress, bathrooms, concessions, chair backs and renovations to AZ stadium to support. He emphasized it's not just as easy as taking out bleachers and replacing with seat backs. It's take more than that (renovations).

I finally looked for the podcast of interview. He talks about lots of topics but the seat back convo begins about 11 mins in.

http://www.kvoi.com/podcast-window/?yourKey=670221

First podcast listed top of page labeled "WUT 7-13 7-8am"
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

How does this look for those who think it gets too hot? This is how the Dolphin Stadium will look in 2016.

http://beachfrontnews.com/lifestyle/lan ... l-stadium/
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

UALoco wrote:How does this look for those who think it gets too hot? This is how the Dolphin Stadium will look in 2016.

That looks amazing. Would be damn near impossible for a facility as asymmetrical as Arizona Stadium I'd imagine.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAdevil wrote:
UALoco wrote:How does this look for those who think it gets too hot? This is how the Dolphin Stadium will look in 2016.

That looks amazing. Would be damn near impossible for a facility as asymmetrical as Arizona Stadium I'd imagine.
Looks a bit silly to me.
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

We rarely play day games before November so I don't think a full shade would be worth it.

I think the quickest fix would be a more or less vertical shade sail in the SW corner... or wrap the sky boxes around the corner. From the east side stands you can't see anything but blazing sunlight for about and hour during late afternoon/early evening games.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Saw parts of this conversation on twitter today. Apparently, someone complaining they were not going to renew/get season tickets and got more of a direct response than they expected.
Pro tip: If you still haven't gotten season tickets this year, make sure you get the guided tour with Matty D before you buy.

Love the way this staff tries to answer fan issues directly. I've talked to Greg Byrne several times at games when he is checking out our section and he truly wants to know what he can do to make you game day experience better.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It's great be a Cat fan.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

51,111 last week vs UTSA. Not bad considering the rain shortly before kickoff
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And on a Thursday night. Cats get the next two games and UCLA is a sellout by mid week.

I also think it becomes a gameday game and the buzz is electric.

Beat UCLA and Furd and 55K becomes the norm for the rest off the season
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
FightWildcatsFight

Post by FightWildcatsFight »

azcat49 wrote:And on a Thursday night. Cats get the next two games and UCLA is a sellout by mid week.

I also think it becomes a gameday game and the buzz is electric.

Beat UCLA and Furd and 55K becomes the norm for the rest off the season
Yup, I've thought all along that if ASu was undefeated by week 4 they'd get gameday, and we would be the #2 choice. If we can win, and preferably win big, these next two weeks, I don't see where else they'd go but Tucson.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Other games that weekend are:
TAMU @ Arkansas
Miss St @ Auburn
BYU @ Mich
TCU @ Texas Tech
Utah @ Oregon
USC @ ASSu
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

May go to tamu Arkansas. But we'll be one of the 3 they choose from

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Jefe wrote:51,111 last week vs UTSA. Not bad considering the rain shortly before kickoff
50103 in last years game against UNLV which was a Friday game. About a 2% increase year over year.
FightWildcatsFight

UALoco wrote:
Jefe wrote:51,111 last week vs UTSA. Not bad considering the rain shortly before kickoff
50103 in last years game against UNLV which was a Friday game. About a 2% increase year over year.
51k on a Thursday night is MUCH more impressive than just a 2% increase over a Friday night game.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

And a Friday game without crazy rain all day nearly right up to kickoff.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:May go to tamu Arkansas. But we'll be one of the 3 they choose from
It is SECpn now.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

It was a great weekend for our Game Day chances in two weeks.

With Arkansas losing to Toledo, the TAMU vs Arkansas game can probably be removed from consideration. Same thing for Miss State (loss) vs Auburn (unimpressive win vs Jacksonville State). Oregon's loss hurts their chances of hosting against Utah.

At this point, if we take care of NAU and UCLA does the same against BYU, I think Game Day is coming to Tucson.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ESPN and AZAthletics are claiming 51,494 for NAU. Isn't capacity 56,029? I wandered all over the stadium and there couldn't have been 1,000 empty seats. I dont think NAU even had 1,000 fans

UALoco

Post by UALoco »

There were definitely a lot of empty seats around me on the West side. I wonder it that number is the sold tickets or number in attendance. I am surprised we had over 50k there.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

What section were you in? I was in 21 and it was kinda empty from row 55 and up. But maybe only 100-200 seats open in there

East, North and South were jam packed besides the corner above our band. A couple sections of the Zoo bailed after halftime

Always hilarious seeing the opposing teams band at the top :lol:
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I think they need to build an extra section about twice as high and twice as far away from the field for when the USC band comes to town.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Jefe wrote:What section were you in? I was in 21 and it was kinda empty from row 55 and up. But maybe only 100-200 seats open in there

East, North and South were jam packed besides the corner above our band. A couple sections of the Zoo bailed after halftime

Always hilarious seeing the opposing teams band at the top :lol:
I was in 21 also, about halfway up, and from what I saw, it looked pretty full. We were even talking about that just before kickoff that we were surprised it was that full.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

For an 8PM kickoff against an FCS opponent, anything approaching 50k is pretty darn good IMHO. I'm assuming UCLA game will be sold out (if it isn't already).
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

VegasCatFan wrote:I was in 21 also, about halfway up, and from what I saw, it looked pretty full. We were even talking about that just before kickoff that we were surprised it was that full.
Then you're probably in this pic :lol:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe wrote:
VegasCatFan wrote:I was in 21 also, about halfway up, and from what I saw, it looked pretty full. We were even talking about that just before kickoff that we were surprised it was that full.
He's the one in red with the hat.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Jefe wrote:

Oof. That looks like the play where Solomon threw to Philips in one on one coverage deep left... while not seeing a guy all alone in the middle of the field.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Jefe wrote:

What row are you in? I'm in 43.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

That photo is from row 63 seat 23
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

azgreg wrote:
Jefe wrote:
He's the one in red with the hat.
And a red hat at that. LOL. I think I'm just to the left of the guy in the light blue shirt a few rows down and my brother-in-law is just to the right of him in a white hat and navy blue shirt.
FightWildcatsFight

Jefe wrote:

Lots of people with heads that look like cotton balls in this one
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Wait, the posters on here are actual people? I thought I was posting with a collection of really intelligent bots... ;)
illcat

Post by illcat »

I dont think NAU even had 1,000 fans :|
Can you blame them :P ?
I mean I am not complaining but it must suck for good ugly girls.
--Officer Craig

You'll forgive DW99, he's used to the methed-out slores in Tempe ...
--Reydituto
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

It was crowded enough that an effective wave actually went around the stadium 4 or 5 times. I thought that died out years ago.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azpenguin wrote:
Jefe wrote:

Oof. That looks like the play where Solomon threw to Philips in one on one coverage deep left... while not seeing a guy all alone in the middle of the field.

And I bet Anu gets hell for not making his reads and scanning his receivers. NAU is always a good draw
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

qwertyus wrote:Wait, the posters on here are actual people? I thought I was posting with a collection of really intelligent bots... ;)
This isn't Ashley Madison.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Chicat wrote:
qwertyus wrote:Wait, the posters on here are actual people? I thought I was posting with a collection of really intelligent bots... ;)
Or is it? 8-)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAdevil wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Or is it? 8-)
Seeing as the majority of the nerds here are getting exactly zero pussy.... Hmmmm.....
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

VegasCatFan wrote:It was crowded enough that an effective wave actually went around the stadium 4 or 5 times. I thought that died out years ago.
That shit went on for like 10 minutes. That's the part that blew my mind.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I'm in sec 22 row 54 and it was spotty around me. I agree that it looked like a pretty good crowd for an NAU game. What totally blows my mind is that there are still a good number of tickets available for the UCLA game. (you can see what seats are available if you "pick your seat" option online) We probably sell out with walk-up traffic but sheesh..What does this team have to do? We have an exciting style of offense that puts up numbers, we are the defending south champs, we are ranked 16th in the country, we are playing #9 in the country and arguably the "team to beat" in the P12, cool new helmets, and we have GAMEDAY coming to town. Are you not entertained? Totally pisses me off. :x
Machina

Post by Machina »

Tucson and the rest of AZ needs to step up and sell this game out quickly
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If only it were held in the parking lot of the Arcadia tavern

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Joke wasn't funny the first time and now it isn't either.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion