QB derby

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Re: QB derby

Post by ANGCatFan »

Ted Miller breaks down the QB situation at each school.
GREAT SHAPE

Oregon
UCLA
Arizona State
Oregon State

GOOD SHAPE

Stanford
Washington State
USC
Utah
California
Colorado

WE'LL SEE

Washington

Arizona: The Wildcats have no clear frontrunner in their QB competition. That's the bad news. The good news is the performances this spring were generally solid. Rich Rodriguez believes he's got a couple of guys who can win games for him. He's just not sure which guy is No. 1 between Jesse Scroggins, Connor Brewer, Anu Solomon and Jerrard Randall.
The real good news. The only place we can go is up.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Yeah if RichRod can compete with a QB like Denker, we'll be fine with any one of our QBs.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Average passing/running QBs are still better than a below average passing above average running QB like Denker.

However the best WRs on the conference, and possibly the nation are going to make a world of difference with a QB who can get them the ball more than 10 yards from the LOS.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Another Ted Miller piece; older (written last April), and provides a good fairly thorough analyses of the situation at AZ.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id ... his-spring

I havent been paying close attention; he notes we have an 8 deep receiver corp with the "bottom" 4 equivilant to most other team's top 4. Would be neat to see RR pull an old Packers play out of the toolbox (something I haven't seen for a few years)-occasionally send out 5-6 receivers and dump the ball on the uncovered player.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

SB Nation with a new article on our QB situation. The article was prompted by NFL.com rating us as the 86th best QB situation in D1 and the worst in the PAC 12. Here is where they rated the rest of the conference nationally:

2. Oregon Ducks

6. UCLA Bruins

10. Arizona State Sun Devils

11. Oregon State Beavers

18. Stanford Cardinal

24. Washington State Cougars

28. California Golden Bears

31. USC Trojans

60. Utah Utes

61. Colorado Buffaloes

62. Washington Huskies
Jason Bartel, the SB Nation author, makes the case that we will probably do better than this rating because of our experienced line and great group of receivers. I think the biggest reasons we will exceed this expectation is coaching.

Rich Rod and Rod Smith have done an amazing job with our QBs over the past 2 years. In short time they turned Matt Scott into a top conference QB and then turned around and made B J Denker into the conferences top rushing QB. They have had a year with most of our QBs and I think once again actual QB performance this year will exceed preseason expectations thanks to great coaching. Oh, and having a great line and even better receivers will probably help to.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

ANGCatFan wrote:SB Nation with a new article on our QB situation. The article was prompted by NFL.com rating us as the 86th best QB situation in D1 and the worst in the PAC 12. Here is where they rated the rest of the conference nationally:

2. Oregon Ducks

6. UCLA Bruins

10. Arizona State Sun Devils

11. Oregon State Beavers

18. Stanford Cardinal

24. Washington State Cougars

28. California Golden Bears

31. USC Trojans

60. Utah Utes

61. Colorado Buffaloes

62. Washington Huskies
Jason Bartel, the SB Nation author, makes the case that we will probably do better than this rating because of our experienced line and great group of receivers. I think the biggest reasons we will exceed this expectation is coaching.

Rich Rod and Rod Smith have done an amazing job with our QBs over the past 2 years. In short time they turned Matt Scott into a top conference QB and then turned around and made B J Denker into the conferences top rushing QB. They have had a year with most of our QBs and I think once again actual QB performance this year will exceed preseason expectations thanks to great coaching. Oh, and having a great line and even better receivers will probably help to.
The original NFL.com article is pretty much junk. His #5 criteria is an oxymoron, ("objective opinion")

Our top 4 QB's were all 4-star recruits coming out of HS. Yes, none of them is D1 battle-tested, but I am guessing that there are more than 42 D1 schools that envy our situation.

No problem with Oregon, UCLA, ASU, and ntOSU being solidly ahead of us - but I don't see how you look at Utah, Cal, Washington, or Rado as being head-and-shoulders above us.

p.s. the picture in the SBNation article is hysterical, Denks throwing a fade-away jump pass with no one in his face. (shudder)
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Way up in the air but we'll find someone. We have Solomon plus top rated lsu, usc, and Texas commits
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Ugh, SB Nation needs to be de-linked from reputable news sites. That piece is about as in-depth as most of my posts, and that ain't deep.

Oh, and does anyone actually pay attention to what some NFL.com hack thinks about CFB? I thought not.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

PAC12 Blog breaks down the back-up QBs for each team..

Nothing new in this story and I think they missed the important point on Arizona. Our biggest upgrade this year is at back-up QB.

For the past 2 years we had such a huge drop off at QB we could not afford to lose the starter. This year we will have 2 to 3 back-ups ready to come in and run the system if the starter goes down. In fact, because we now have actual competition and depth at QB, we will finally have a back-up who might be able to come in and turn a game/season around if the starter struggles.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

ANGCatFan wrote:PAC12 Blog breaks down the back-up QBs for each team..

Nothing new in this story and I think they missed the important point on Arizona. Our biggest upgrade this year is at back-up QB.

For the past 2 years we had such a huge drop off at QB we could not afford to lose the starter. This year we will have 2 to 3 back-ups ready to come in and run the system if the starter goes down. In fact, because we now have actual competition and depth at QB, we will finally have a back-up who might be able to come in and turn a game/season around if the starter struggles.

I wonder how things are going with Randall. He intrigues me the most out of any of them; if he can get his accuracy on point and learn how not to tuck and run too quickly, he could be a deadly change of pace option.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin wrote:

I wonder how things are going with Randall. He intrigues me the most out of any of them; if he can get his accuracy on point and learn how not to tuck and run too quickly, he could be a deadly change of pace option.

Same here, but I felt the same way about Scroggins coming in with his extremely strong arm. Only a 46% passer in JC, with 8 TDs and 5 picks but the experts said it was because he had a bad toe, which he did. He comes to the UA, has surgery, and still doesn't see the field.

Randall was only a 43% passer in JC, and has more pics (10) than TDs (7). Very underwhelming for such a highly recruited QB.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have had the feeling that Randall may be our starting QB by the end of the season. He just seems to be the type of QB RR would love to bring along. Given the whole season and getting reps in the playbook should help him advance his game.

I would love to have a 4 year starter like Anu be our guy but I have the feeling that while they all may play those first three OOC games, that Scroggins will start the Cal game. I just get the feeling that RR wants that fire to burn a little hotter in Anu and that he isn't working as hard as he woudl like him too
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Jesse Scroggins may well turn out to be the next John Conner at Arizona.

Merkin knows who I'm talking about.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catgrad97 wrote:Jesse Scroggins may well turn out to be the next John Conner at Arizona.

Drafted by the NFL based only on athletic ability?

Conner rarely saw the field, was often injured but had a nice camp.

Only UA QB drafted in the PAC-10 era as a QB.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yep. Plus Conner couldn't even back up Alfred Jenkins most of his senior year because of concussion issues IIRC.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azpenguin wrote:

He's by far the most talented. Decision making and accuracy are his issues, but he has big time physical tools. Unless someone seizes control, Scroggins seems like he'd be the default option.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The Star this morning indicated that Scroggins/Randall will start fall camp at the top of the heap. Personally, I don't like either option. We don't have Kadeem to carry us this year (nobody even close). We will live and die on the arm of our QB. I can't see two QB's that couldn't even complete more than 50% of their passes at the JC level leading us to a successful year offensively. I think RRod needs to find a QB that can complete 60% of his passes.......and I think that Brewer probably gives us the best shot.

If, at the end of the year, our starting QB has a 43-46% completion percentage I will go on record now as saying that we will not break .500% and we will not be playing in a bowl for the 3rd straight year.

Bearing down on going with the best passing QB.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Brewer has no shot at winning the starting job as has been mentioned for some time now. Smart kid and understands the offense but some crazy stuff would have to happen before he sees the field. Don't be surprised if Berk was fed the info on the QB's to continue to light a fire under Solomon.

I don't think it's coach speak when RR says they rode Denker hard LY because he wasn't where they wanted him to be. I think the same thing is happening with Solomon. Nothing is handed to you at this level as you have to not only earn it on the field but the QB also has to be a team leader. Once you hit the first practice of Fall Camp, nobody cares how many stars you had or who was recruiting you - you have to get it done every single day. There's no carry over for a lot of positions which is very different for a lot of these guys as they were starters in HS and knew they were going to start every single game. It's nutt cutting time.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

dmjcat wrote:The Star this morning indicated that Scroggins/Randall will start fall camp at the top of the heap. Personally, I don't like either option. We don't have Kadeem to carry us this year (nobody even close). We will live and die on the arm of our QB. I can't see two QB's that couldn't even complete more than 50% of their passes at the JC level leading us to a successful year offensively. I think RRod needs to find a QB that can complete 60% of his passes.......and I think that Brewer probably gives us the best shot.

If, at the end of the year, our starting QB has a 43-46% completion percentage I will go on record now as saying that we will not break .500% and we will not be playing in a bowl for the 3rd straight year.

Bearing down on going with the best passing QB.

Thanks for the laugh.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I mentioned about 7 months ago that the QB who is the best (most accurate and arm strength) is the QB that wins the job......especially on intermediate throws.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

catgrad97 wrote:Jesse Scroggins may well turn out to be the next John Conner at Arizona.

Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

I've got a few questions:

How do we qualify Scroggings' running/scrambling ability? Better or worse than Matt Scott?

Is it fair to call Brewer safe and steady but lacking big play potential?

Is there an emphasis on arm strength and is it more for the running game than the passing game?

I'm really pulling for Randall because if he can beat the other QBs, WOW is he going to be exciting!
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I'm going with Randall as being the best option IF he can minimize turnovers and have decent enough pass completion. Because of his legs. Last two years the QB has been 2nd leading rusher on team. Denker with 181 carries - 949 yds. Matt Scott 113 for 506yds.

The rushing attack by committee needs to include QB, especially to open up the passing game to take advantage of the skill at receivers (and maybe TE's). Need ability to demonstrate can run the ball at anytime.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sage&Silver wrote:I've got a few questions:

How do we qualify Scroggings' running/scrambling ability? Better or worse than Matt Scott?

Is it fair to call Brewer safe and steady but lacking big play potential?

Is there an emphasis on arm strength and is it more for the running game than the passing game?

I'm really pulling for Randall because if he can beat the other QBs, WOW is he going to be exciting!

Worse than Scott but not too shabby. Protects himself from getting hurt well but big enough to take a sting. Gets out of the pocket fast enough when he sees it collapse.

Barring injury or a miracle, Brewer has a 1% chance of being named the starter after camp.

All about arm strength and accuracy.
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

dmjcat wrote: We will live and die on the arm of our QB.
Seeing as how the QB has been the 2nd leading rusher in UA's offense under RR, and seeing as how RR has shown he can move the ball with the read-option at 3 different programs as a HC (including UA), I have a difficult time accepting this statement as accurate. UA will find a RB or RBBC to help shoulder the rushing load, but the read-option offense itself not only moves the ball on the ground, but helps set up the pass.

This isn't to say I'm suggesting UA go run-heavy, or not be able to utilize the WR corps to the best of their ability. But this team won't have to be entirely reliant on the passing game.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Rey, I partially agree with what he's saying. RR isn't going to be running the Air Raid offense or have the QB shucking it all over the field, but the quarterback has got to be accurate and the pass must be a legitimate threat. If it's not, if the QB isn't able to hit his targets reliably, the defenses will be stacking the box and daring the QB to try to beat them with his arm. All he's gotta do is be able to complete the 5-10 yard routes on a regular basis. Denker had times where he struggled with that and that's where the Cats would lose games last year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jerrard Randall was a 43% passer in JC with more picks (10) than TDs (7) and threw for 96 yards per game. Scroggins was also a sub 50% passer in JC.

We all know what a noodle arm Denker has, but he still passed for 61% last year with only 7 picks to go against his 16 passing TDs against Div I defenses.

Just not getting my hopes up like I did with Scroggins.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/

Denker: 40 Low: 4.86 40 Time: 4.95 40 High: 5.04
Randall: 40 Low: 4.54 40 Time: 4.64 40 High: 4.75
Brewer: 40 Low: 4.67 40 Time: 4.78 40 High: 4.89
Scroggins: 40 Low: 4.68 40 Time: 4.79 40 High: 4.89

Anu: 4.96 per http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... tt-solomon
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

I am hearing Randall doesn't read overages well, I guess the stats in JC prove it!
gumby

Post by gumby »

I know who it's going to be, but I can't say. But trust me, we will have a QB. And he will be a Wildcat.

Stay tuned ...
Right where I want to be.
jollything

Post by jollything »

gumby wrote:I know who it's going to be, but I can't say. But trust me, we will have a QB. And he will be a Wildcat.

Stay tuned ...
You talking about this year, or a future commit?
gumby

Post by gumby »

This year. After it's announced, I will confirm that I already knew.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dkenner wrote:I am hearing Randall doesn't read overages well, I guess the stats in JC prove it!
You don't have to read overages well to be an effective college QB. Look at Bernie Kosar. Great QB, bankrupt soon after his career ends. Even starred in "Broke."

I'll go on record saying Scroggins starts from the get go and doesn't get replaced unless he's injured.
jollything

Post by jollything »

gumby wrote:This year. After it's announced, I will confirm that I already knew.
Will this be a premium post?
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Dkenner wrote:I am hearing Randall doesn't read overages well, I guess the stats in JC prove it!
You don't have to read overages well to be an effective college QB. Look at Bernie Kosar. Great QB, bankrupt soon after his career ends. Even starred in "Broke."

I'll go on record saying Scroggins starts from the get go and doesn't get replaced unless he's injured.
This is how I think it plays out. I've heard that Scroggins is head over heels better than last year. Can read coverages very well and is only second to Brewer and has the best arm. Just needs to work on his accuracy, but be ready for 50-60 yard bombs this year to the receivers.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

This is how I think it plays out. I've heard that Scroggins is head over heels better than last year. Can read coverages very well and is only second to Brewer and has the best arm. Just needs to work on his accuracy, but be ready for 50-60 yard bombs this year to the receivers.
I sure hope so. Even something close to that will be a treat heading into the season. So much is being spent on how good the QBs are going to be in the Pac 12 this year. If true what you say, we will surprise a lot of those that rated us last in that department.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

catinfl wrote: This is how I think it plays out. I've heard that Scroggins is head over heels better than last year. Can read coverages very well and is only second to Brewer and has the best arm. Just needs to work on his accuracy, but be ready for 50-60 yard bombs this year to the receivers.
I certainly didn't see any QB in the spring game play head over heels over any other one, but I hope that Solomon gets the nod. I don't want to have another 1-and-done, even if Scroggins is a good one.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

qwertyus wrote:
catinfl wrote: This is how I think it plays out. I've heard that Scroggins is head over heels better than last year. Can read coverages very well and is only second to Brewer and has the best arm. Just needs to work on his accuracy, but be ready for 50-60 yard bombs this year to the receivers.
I certainly didn't see any QB in the spring game play head over heels over any other one, but I hope that Solomon gets the nod. I don't want to have another 1-and-done, even if Scroggins is a good one.
Agree with this in theory (all things being equal, we're best suited having Anu win the competition) but may the best man (this season) win. I'm getting too old to wait for next year. :-)

The thing that I keep seeing brought up about Anu is that the coaching staff wants him to be more of a vocal leader. As with a lot of things with RR, that could just be a motivational ploy - I would hope that is not the deciding factor in determining who starts. I think there's more than one way to be a leader, and also it's somewhat unfair to recruit a kid with a certain personality type and expect him to drastically change that in order to get PT.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Glad to hear in CiF. Does that mean Solomon is not in the mix?

Also, how is Brewer's arm compared to Denker? Obviously RichRod picked Denker over the rest since he would not cost them any games (although atrocious v. UDub is kind), although not win any either with his arm either.

If Scroggins can keep his picks to a minimum it's going to be a pretty exciting year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catinfl wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

He seemed the most mature in the spring game. That's what we need. We have a ton of WR talent, so a qb really just needs to be able to get the ball out there and not make mistakes. Wideouts will do the rest.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I have zero insider info and I'm just a fan like everybody else here, but when you piece all the innuendoes and winks together it looks like it's Scroggins job to lose.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
He seemed the most mature in the spring game. That's what we need. We have a ton of WR talent, so a qb really just needs to be able to get the ball out there and not make mistakes. Wideouts will do the rest.
Solomon had a history of not making mistakes while he was winning 4 straight HS state championships. He doesn't need a 4.4-40. He needs to be able to throw the ball accurately and tuck and run if he needs to, which imo is exactly what he did in HS.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Merkin wrote:
Glad to hear in CiF. Does that mean Solomon is not in the mix?

Also, how is Brewer's arm compared to Denker? Obviously RichRod picked Denker over the rest since he would not cost them any games (although atrocious v. UDub is kind), although not win any either with his arm either.

If Scroggins can keep his picks to a minimum it's going to be a pretty exciting year.
Solomon is in the mix I think he'll be #2. Brewer's arm is better than Denker, but it's not great by any means. Everything about Brewer is average. He won't be in the mix.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

qwertyus wrote:
I said he's improved over the course of a year not that he's better than the other options.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

catinfl wrote:
qwertyus wrote:
I said he's improved over the course of a year not that he's better than the other options.
I know, I just used the same expression to emphasize that at the Spring game nobody separated themselves. That's all. If Scroggins makes it to the team bus on time that'll be an improvement, so I hope he's improved a ton considering his low starting point of 'not beating out Denker'.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Not sure exactly where Rich Rod said it but it was within the last week (Thinking ESPN car wash) in an interview something that sounded bit different than what he's normally been saying about QB Derby. He said going into Fall Camp we have "two QBs maybe three QBs" that could win battle in camp. That he has no worries that skill level there would be able to handle the position and stack up well in Pac12.

From RR sounded closer like they will primarily focus on two going into camp. At least it sounded (to me) bit different public lingo from RR. Still think QB that starts 1st game has short leash and there's only slight separation between #1 & #2 through 1st month of season (QB depth). Can imagine dynamic taking a bit for starting QB to get/maintain confidence not to throw INT or to over-run on reads to avoid TO. Whomever though...If RR can get that much productivity out of Denker and with RR QB productivity historically, not worried and no favorite to win the QB derby. Offense will be better and don't think I will be cringing when the QB runs risking injury (Like with Scott and Denker) because of the depth.
gumby

Post by gumby »

jollything wrote:
gumby wrote:This year. After it's announced, I will confirm that I already knew.
Will this be a premium post?
Hmmm ... good idea. Monetize my source.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

If Solomon is even close he should get the start. He will grow substantially with game reps. Our initial games should all be cake walks, which is ideal for a young QB.

A number of things have me pulling for Solomon: proven winner who took the starting QB position in high school and never let it go; very high football IQ; proven leader; RS freshman, so if it's close and he gets his chance now he will be an absolute beast for years to come; does not turn the ball over. This last point may be the most important. RR's offense is almost unstoppable so long as the QB doesn't turn the ball over. Scroggins in particular worries me with some of his wild and/or forced throws.

May the best man win!

Go Cats!!
jollything

Post by jollything »

Catstatic wrote:If Solomon is even close he should get the start. He will grow substantially with game reps. Our initial games should all be cake walks, which is ideal for a young QB.

A number of things have me pulling for Solomon: proven winner who took the starting QB position in high school and never let it go; very high football IQ; proven leader; RS freshman, so if it's close and he gets his chance now he will be an absolute beast for years to come; does not turn the ball over. This last point may be the most important. RR's offense is almost unstoppable so long as the QB doesn't turn the ball over. Scroggins in particular worries me with some of his wild and/or forced throws.

May the best man win!

Go Cats!!
What I remember hearing is that Anu isn't very vocal in the huddle. I want him to win the job, but the more I hear the less I think it will happen.

I guess we will all find out once fall ball starts on Saturday.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

I have heard different things about all the qb's and little is flattering, I think our qb will be the winner by default!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

jollything wrote:
What I remember hearing is that Anu isn't very vocal in the huddle. I want him to win the job, but the more I hear the less I think it will happen.

I guess we will all find out once fall ball starts on Saturday.

Why is that? Is he intimidated by the upperclassmen or ??? He was probably pretty vocal in HS but really don't know. Highlight reels don't go into that detail.

Wasn't BJ vocal in the huddle but somewhat disliked by his teammates?

Anu seems the slowest according to 40 times, and recorded a hand timed 5.1 in the spring camp.