Game #5 @ Stanford Cardinal discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azpenguin

Re: Game #5 @ Stanford Cardinal discussion thread

Post by azpenguin »

catgrad97 wrote:Like I texted azcat49 during the game Saturday, RR put way too much into one basket with Anu.
Um, Randall is a far better backup than Scroggins was; even if he has trouble completing a pass reliably he brings a dimension to the running game that is hard to stop. From what I've been reading, Dawkins is capable (and again, anyone who has reliable info who knows otherwise is welcome to post it) and RR wanted him for a reason. Next year Tate and Modster are coming in. Last year there was a four way battle between Solomon, Scroggins, Randall, and Brewer and all four of them were thought of as capable of the starting job by various posters. The "too much in one basket" argument doesn't hold water with me.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:247 says Trey Griffey is back.

http://arizona.247sports.com/Article/Im ... m-39888431

The Wildcats have a trio of big wide receivers in Cayleb Jones, David Richards, and Trey Griffey (who reappeared on the depth chart this week and will likely see his first action of the season on Saturday), so a couple of connected bombs may give the UA the scores it may not otherwise find.
Apparently they didn't read yesterday's injury report. Griffey is out.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azpenguin wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Like I texted azcat49 during the game Saturday, RR put way too much into one basket with Anu.
Um, Randall is a far better backup than Scroggins was; even if he has trouble completing a pass reliably he brings a dimension to the running game that is hard to stop. From what I've been reading, Dawkins is capable (and again, anyone who has reliable info who knows otherwise is welcome to post it) and RR wanted him for a reason. Next year Tate and Modster are coming in. Last year there was a four way battle between Solomon, Scroggins, Randall, and Brewer and all four of them were thought of as capable of the starting job by various posters. The "too much in one basket" argument doesn't hold water with me.
Completely agree. You would say the same thing about the coach putting all their eggs in the starters basket except for maybe three teams in the nation
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azpenguin wrote:
Merkin wrote:247 says Trey Griffey is back.

http://arizona.247sports.com/Article/Im ... m-39888431

The Wildcats have a trio of big wide receivers in Cayleb Jones, David Richards, and Trey Griffey (who reappeared on the depth chart this week and will likely see his first action of the season on Saturday), so a couple of connected bombs may give the UA the scores it may not otherwise find.
Apparently they didn't read yesterday's injury report. Griffey is out.
Maybe Griffey got better and it is gamesmanship?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

On a side note we have a pretty good chance we have a game under 3 hours for the first time in forever.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PHXCATS wrote:
azpenguin wrote:
Completely agree. You would say the same thing about the coach putting all their eggs in the starters basket except for maybe three teams in the nation
Dawkins IS capable, but too young to be thrown out there, as various posters have also opined.

We've seen what Randall can do. He basically had three viable plays against UCLA, and the Bruins' D had shut them down by the middle of the fourth quarter.

RR didn't think Randall was a better backup than Scroggins last year or he would've been ahead of Scroggins on the depth chart.

Next year is next year. This year, like in the Pac-12 championship before it, this offense is way too exposed without Anu out there.

Even mid-level programs need serviceable backups who can keep defenses honest anymore. Without any kind of touch on his throws, Randall's just an athlete, not a quarterback.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Too young... like Solomon was last year? People have indeed opined, but I have yet to hear solid info that he's not ready to play.

Randall made mistakes but they moved the ball and ran it extremely well. Last year was last year - Scroggins had another year in the system over Randall and RR doesn't like to play first-year-in-the-system guys at QB if he can help it. Saying he's not capable or Dawkins isn't capable with the small sample size we have isn't going to give an accurate picture. We don't know. Remember Denker against UW in 2013 and how everyone thought he was a complete bust? I trust RR when it comes to QBs.

This will be fun to revisit in a couple of months.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

No bye week, major injuries, lack of depth,....I don't think anything will be fun to revisit regarding Arizona football's 2015 season in a couple months. I think very quickly we will be focusing on the 2016 season which should set up better for us
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Line down to -11.5 this morning.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Let hope we do good against Stanford today.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

What's going on?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Vegas thinks Anu is starting.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

With or without Anu, I don't see us staying within 17 points.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Bettors thinking Shaw gonna Shaw?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrBug708 wrote:Bettors thinking Shaw gonna Shaw?

Most definitely.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

The only thing that would give me slight comfort if I took Arizona and the points would be that Stanford might be looking ahead a little to their game with UCLA.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The line moving toward UA means they are trying to get more money bet on the Trees. That big number must have brought a lot of money for UA with those points. If I was a betting man, and in Vegas - I would have taken the Cats with +17.5 in a heart beat.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yup...concussion.

2-4 wks from the date of injury is my best guess, but could be up to 12 in the worst case scenario.