Fall Camp

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: Fall Camp

Post by azcat49 »

Man I hope this is not an injury, problem driven year. First Bondo and then Sani.

Anyone know when the Package channel guys will be in town to review the cats? ALL we hear up in Phoenix is CTG telling them this will be his best team and best defense
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

azcat49 wrote:Anyone know when the Package channel guys will be in town to review the cats? ALL we hear up in Phoenix is CTG telling them this will be his best team and best defense
Looks like Aug 12th in Tucson

Schedule
http://pac-12.com/shows/football-training-camp
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Anu played really well tonight and Neal is really good. :D

I know it's only practice but TJ Johnson fielded a punt - got the corner and was gone.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

dc4azcats wrote:Anu played really well tonight and Neal is really good. :D

I know it's only practice but TJ Johnson fielded a punt - got the corner and was gone.
The only thing I worry with TJ Johnson is he can not catch Randall's ropes... at all.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

azcat49 wrote:Man I hope this is not an injury, problem driven year. First Bondo and then Sani.

Anyone know when the Package channel guys will be in town to review the cats? ALL we hear up in Phoenix is CTG telling them this will be his best team and best defense
It's fall camp, injuries happen. Bondo is practicing again fwiw.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I thought Neal would return punts and TJ would get kickoffs. That might switch though.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One Poly Mormon down. Didn't know what to expect from him though being out 2 years.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

Rich Rodriguez walked off the practice field tonight a bit of a happier man than last night. He seemed more pleased with his team’s performance.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/uafootba ... f887a.html
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

btfd16 wrote:

The only thing I worry with TJ Johnson is he can not catch Randall's ropes... at all.
Hopefully he doesn't turn into another Bug mishandling punts if he as questionable hands.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
btfd16 wrote:

Hopefully he doesn't turn into another Bug mishandling punts if he as questionable hands.
Haha Merk, when Special Teams comes trotting out onto the field do you immediately break out into a cold sweat?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Shit...I know it has scared me for a decade
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Brad Allis with a camp injury report.
According to Daniel Berk at the Arizona Daily Star, Arizona DT Sani Fuimaono is about approximately one month with a broken foot.

Because he is not able to practice, Fuimaono will be taken off the 105-man roster and will have to wait until the start of classes when the roster expands to 120.

Sir Thomas Jackson, Marquis Ware and Clive Georges are also nursing pretty serious injuries and appear to have been taken off the 105-man roster.

The Wildcats have a stable of non-scholarship players they will add to the roster. Catalina Foothills standout running back Ty Cruz was added before the start of fall camp.
I understand we have a 105 man limit that jumps up to a 120 when school begins. All of the players listed are still on the roster at arizonawildcats.com, anyone know if the official 105 man roster is available to the public?
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Good Berk story on Nate Phillips return from injury at azcentral. Key points:
"He's his old self," Dews said. "If anything, he looks like he's gotten a little quicker. He's gotten his size back this summer that he lost in the spring from not doing upper-body stuff.

"He's ready to roll."

This year, teams undoubtedly will be prepared for Phillips and game-plan for him.

For what it's worth, he isn't worried about that because of UA's depth at receiver. With Austin Hill back and Cayleb Jones and DaVonte' Neal eligible after sitting out last season, Phillips thinks it will be hard for opponents to key on one UA receiver.

"You have other people they might have their questions about, so they might be worried about those guys more than me or worried about me more than the other guys," Phillips said. "So I think there will be some opportunity there for everyone."

Another reason Phillips isn't sweating the inevitable extra attention is because he thinks he's better, despite missing the spring. Dews wanted Phillips and his classmate, Samajie Grant, to refine their fundamentals and route-running this offseason. Phillips, who is inseparable from Grant, said that was the duo's focus all summer.

"They're continuing to get better," Dews said of Phillips and Grant. "They are on course. They haven't missed a beat. They look every bit as sharp as when the season ended. I think they've improved."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What's this about?

azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Any word on Nick Wilson? With the running back situation, it'll be interesting to see if he's as advertised.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Fall practice Day 4 video. More action, less talk.

[youtube]4tyRJZZpdLo[/youtube]
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Merkin wrote:What's this about?

He probably just wants to go home as in Scottsdale.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

azpenguin wrote:Any word on Nick Wilson? With the running back situation, it'll be interesting to see if he's as advertised.
Dude's been killing it. Scored a long touchdown today and been running with the 2's mostly but got some reps at 1's
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Day 5 Coach Rod interview

[youtube]b89zcRGR_eY[/youtube]

Good write-up from Jason Bartel at SB Nation. Key points:
What we saw was Anu Solomon take just about all of the first-team reps at quarterback the entire night.

The order was crystal clear throughout practice. It went something like this:

1. Solomon

2. Jerrard Randall

3. Jesse Scroggins

4. Connor Brewer

5. Brandon Dawkins

Don't know if it was just set up like this for that particular practice and it's constantly changing, or something more. Another open practice on Saturday should clear that up.

Jared Tevis was a non-participant in practice due to a hamstring injury.

"DaVonte' and Josh Kern, we're working those two guys out (as the holders on field goals)," coach Rodriguez said. "Josh is an ex-quarterback, and DaVonte' had done it before so we're trying those two right now. They're our top two."

With Tevis hurt, and Tra'Mayne Bondurant on the sideline not in pads, this is what the first team defense looked like:

Defensive ends: Reggie Gilbert and Dan Pettinato

Defensive tackle: Jeff Worthy

Linebackers: Scooby Wright (MLB), Keoni Bush-Loo and Jake Matthews

Cornerbacks: Jonathan McKnight and Jarvis McCall Jr.

Safeties: Will Parks, Jourdon Grandon and Blake Brady

A couple wide receivers-turned-defensive backs Cam Denson and Abraham Mendivil each picked off a pass during practice.

Do not be surprised if Terris Jones-Grigsby and Jared Baker split carries evenly as we head into the year.

"It's neck and neck," Rodriguez said of the competition. "I haven't seen a lot of separation between them."
I also attended the practice last night and here are some of my observations. Anu was clearly the best QB. He stood out mostly in consistency; fewest errors, higher completion %, and command of the offense. But the next three are not that far behind.

The last 2 years Denker and Scott were well ahead of the field, but this year the top 4 QBs all can run the offense at the speed Coach Rod demands. Anu just does it better at this point. By my fan only eye, after that it was Randall and Brewer tied for 2nd and Scroggins. Any of the 4 could still win the job, but I would bet Anu against the field based on yesterday's practice.

I thought Baker led the RBs and Grigsby-Jones was consistent if not spectacular. The flash was provided by Nick Wilson and Jonathan Haden. Both looked like they could be challenging for playing early this year. The other big surprise to me was Ty Cruz from Catalina Foothills HS in Tucson. The freshman walk-on did not look like a freshman or a walk-on.

The receivers have a lot of speed and talent as advertised. Hill and especially David Richards are much bigger than last year. Neal is a playmaker, but TJ Johnson may push him for most exciting offensive player. First team receivers last night; Hill, Grant, Neal, and Griffey. When Grant had to come out of the ones after getting banged up Richards filled in. Phillips also looked good, but was in a green jersey for his shoulder. Tight ends got significant work and Kern (who looks bigger than 230) out played Wood at least on the receiving side.

The roster we were given last night matches the one in the 2014 media guide (select Football, more, media guide) and is more current than the online roster.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thx Ang, good recap.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Thanks for the write-up ANG. Our WR corps is sick - we all seem to forget about Richards, that kid made a lot of plays 2 years ago.

I have to think that opposing DB's are going to be gassed by the 4th qtr after chasing these 8-9 guys around.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Question: Have QB's been rotating taking 1st team reps every day? Per:
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Great write up. Thanks for the information.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Day 6 Video.

[youtube]U_IduPqZRXw[/youtube]
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ANGCatFan wrote:Day 6 Video.
At least they aren't going hungry.

Interesting about Nick Wilson getting some looks at RB.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Who's he talking about at 2:45 Safety/ST being fully healthy, big physical guy? Can't make out the name in the reporter's question.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

BearDown89 wrote:
Who's he talking about at 2:45 Safety/ST being fully healthy, big physical guy? Can't make out the name in the reporter's question.
Trevor Emerisch. Used to be a receiver and has been a very good special teams player.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ANGCatFan wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Trevor Emerisch. Used to be a receiver and has been a very good special teams player.
Right. Thanks Ang.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Merkin wrote:
At least they aren't going hungry.

Interesting about Nick Wilson getting some looks at RB.
Nick Wilson looked good tonight from what I was told. I keep hearing that he reminds folks a lot of KaDeem with his style of running - we will see. If he is half as good as KaDeem then we're in pretty good shape.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From Brad Allis at Wildcat Sports Report:
Slot receiver Johnny Jackson is giving defense a try. The junior has moved to cornerback.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Watched practice tonight. Solomon, Scroggins, and Brewer were all in red jerseys which is usually the best indicator of the top QBs. Solomon ran the 1s, Scroggin the 2s, and Randall the 3s so I am not sure who is ahead between Randall and Brewer. But Solomon and Scroggins are definitely 1 and 2 and there wasn't much separation between the 2 with both making enough mistakes to stay even.

Baker (not Butler) is the #1 back and I think Wilson and Haden will be pushing Jones-Grigsby for the #2 spot. They just appeared more likely to break off a big run.

Jones got a lot of work with the 1st team receivers and was the most used receiver of the night.

Lots of special teams work tonight. Skowron and Pollack (not Poland) were the primary field goal kickers and went 1 for 3 during the simulated live period. Neal was the holder on all three attempts. On the positive side Riggleman was consistent in punting.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dc4azcats wrote:
Nick Wilson looked good tonight from what I was told. I keep hearing that he reminds folks a lot of KaDeem with his style of running - we will see. If he is half as good as KaDeem then we're in pretty good shape.
Not sure why, I am not really a football guy, but Nick Wilson seems to excite me more than the other RBs, thanks for the update DC.

Wow, his 10 catches vs. Stanford is quite memorable. Richard Morrison never saw light of day on defense after moving there from slot reciever (after moving their from QB). But at least JJ had good hands.

ANGCatFan wrote: Lots of special teams work tonight. Skowron and Poland were the primary field goal kickers and went 1 for 3 during the simulated live period. Neal was the holder on all three attempts.

What happened to Josh Kern as holder? As a former QB seems like a logical choice since he could be an option for a trick play,although RR really isn't known for those.
HaCats

Post by HaCats »

Ang....would be curious to hear your take on Anu's wheels. Did they do designed runs for him tonight and if so, did he look quick enough for that to be a real threat for us with him at the healm?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Randall is the only one of the 4 that is a true runner. None of the QBs appears too slow for the offense. The only run that stands out to me from Solomon was when the pass wasn't there and he ran for the sidelines. Decisive and got all the yards available while still avoiding a hit.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

ANGCatFan wrote:Watched practice tonight. Solomon, Scroggins, and Brewer were all in red jerseys which is usually the best indicator of the top QBs. Solomon ran the 1s, Scroggin the 2s, and Randall the 3s so I am not sure who is ahead between Randall and Brewer. But Solomon and Scroggins are definitely 1 and 2 and there wasn't much separation between the 2 with both making enough mistakes to stay even.

Butler is the #1 back and I think Wilson and Haden will be pushing Jones-Grigsby for the #2 spot. They just appeared more likely to break off a big run.

Jones got a lot of work with the 1st team receivers and was the most used receiver of the night.

Lots of special teams work tonight. Skowron and Poland were the primary field goal kickers and went 1 for 3 during the simulated live period. Neal was the holder on all three attempts. On the positive side Riggleman was consistent in punting.
Do you mean Baker is the #1 back and Pollock was one of the primary FG kickers?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Do you mean Baker is the #1 back and Pollock was one of the primary FG kickers?
Yes, I will fix it.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Brad Allis runs the Arizona 247 site and does some free write ups on the practices here's his Saturday Report. http://arizona.247sports.com/Article/Sa ... s-30194990

In addition to observing the quarterbacks, which I outlined in a separate story, I also spent some time watching the running backs. Two runners really stood out, but unfortunately, one was dinged up and maybe worse.

Jones-Grigsby

I liked what I saw from Jared Baker. He is quick, with good shiftiness. He did a nice job bouncing a few runs outside. Unfortunately, he was hurt on one of this runs and never returned to practice. Baker is recovering from a knee injury suffered in the ASU game and a source close to the team has indicated that Baker will meet with team doctors in the morning and there is a concern that the injury could be serious.

In my eyes the best runner of the night was Terris Jones-Grigsby. Like Baker the senior is quick and shifty. Not a big back, he did show a toughness and was tough to tackle. He was also impressive with the little things, like hauling in off target pitches.

Nick Wilson had his moments, showing an ability to run between the tackles and pick up some tough yards.

I was less impressed with Adonis Smith, who looked to be a little slower than the other backs.

One thing I noticed is the tempo seems to be even faster this year, especially when Anu Solomon was guiding the offense.

Injuries seem to be mounting at least seven players, including Jared Tevis, Kaelin Deboskie, Jordan Allen and Dwight Melvin were held out.

Tra’Mayne Bondurant is back with the team, but is participating in scrimmages. He apparently still has some work to do to be fully cleared by Rodriguez.

Tyrel Johnson may be undersized, but he proved he could take a lick. He was absolutely pasted by Jarvis McCall, but did not go down. McCall drilled the 5-7 Johnson with a great shoulder pad shot, but Johnson held his feet for a moment until a second defender pulled him down.

All indications are that McCall has had a great camp and has a real shot at starting at cornerback. At the very least he is clearly a rotation player.

The big hero of practice was linebacker Antonio Smothers. The coaches made a deal with the players that they could eliminate some of their running for every punt fielded by linebackers. After the unit was done, five backers had muffed or misplayed punts. Traditionally, Rodriguez will pick the worst looking of the returners and go “double or nothing” but considering how bad Smothers had looked, Rodriguez skipped the double part and told the players they could get out of conditioning if Smothers could field the final punt.

His form was terrible, he was falling forward, but Smothers hung on the ball and to celebrate, he was dog piled by his teammates. Or shall we say he was “smothered?”
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

ANGCatFan wrote:The only run that stands out to me from Solomon was when the pass wasn't there and he ran for the sidelines. Decisive and got all the yards available while still avoiding a hit.

You forgot the part that Coach stopped practice to yell at Anu for running at the sidelines and not North/South.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Another good take on Saturday night from Jason Bartel at SB Nation. Key points:
Bush-Loo had an interesting ten minutes or so. First, after a Connor Brewer scramble, the two got in each other's face, and Bush-Loo gave Brewer a pretty hard shove. Brewer did not take another snap the rest of practice after that.

Then, a drive or two later, Bush-Loo got back to Jesse Scroggins late and appeared to step on his foot, hobbling Scroggins for several plays afterwards.

Jarvis McCall Jr. is going to get some serious time at cornerback it looks like. And the dude can hit. Super impressed with how he's looked so far.

DaVonte' Neal's role will likely include a lot of kick returns, holding field goals, and sweep plays. He's been struggling with catching the ball while running routes this week.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Steve Rivera at FSA on team status so far in camp. Some of the points:
"I don't think we have the sense of urgency all the time that we should," Rodriguez said after Saturday night's open practice at Arizona Stadium.

The coaching staff does. Rodriguez said some of his players do, but "I've got to get everybody to have that same sense of urgency. But that's natural as camp goes on. They just try to get through that practice as opposed to getting ready for a game."

"It's based on performance," he said. "What we can't have are egregious errors (or) brain spasms. That part is frustrating. But we aren't getting as many repeat mistakes. We do put a lot on the quarterback's plate."

"I'm sure our guys are a bit leg-weary and mentally weary," Rodriguez said of the first week of practice. "I feel great. I could have another practice, but the truth is I think our guys need a day off from practice."
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So hoping Baker is OK. Not only need him but he has been waiting his turn in what seems forever. Good kid too.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Here is the type of interview I've been waiting for, one that gives a comparison of how this year compares to last year. Jason Bartel interviews Samajie Grant for SB Nation and asks some good questions about how the 2 camps compare:
"Last year around this time, we probably as a whole receiving corps probably had about not even ten catches. I think I only had about two catches, and I did that on my first day of practice (this year)."

Some of the new-found success in practice this year can be attributed to the receivers, and some of it can be attributed to the group of quarterbacks..

"Our quarterbacks this year are loose," Grant explained. "I'm not saying B.J. wasn't loose, but B.J. was new to it. All of these guys we have now, we worked a lot over the summer. (The quarterbacks) were all taking extra snaps after we left. That's really helping a lot now because they're understanding the coverages much better than B.J. did, so that's a good thing."

"As a receiving corps, we're not executing everything like we're supposed to as of right now," Grant continued. "Still haven't perfected everything obviously. It's all a progression."

"I'm not going to say I'm better than anybody or say that they're better than me. I'm just trying to get myself better. That's my goal for this year. Even if I don't start, I just want to be better than I was last year."

So what is he trying to improve upon right now to make himself the best player he can be?

"The biggest room for improvement for me is the top of my routes. The legs are not fully there, I'm breaking down. My legs are giving out on me. And I need to be able to just one step and get out. I'm giving the DBs time to catch up to me just by all the choppy steps at the end of my route."

"I also gotta strengthen my hands. Be able to catch anything, even if somebody's on me."

While strengthening his hands, he's been strengthening his body (up five pounds from last year).
Read the rest of the article to get some good insight into Grant's background and what drives him.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azcat49 wrote:So hoping Baker is OK. Not only need him but he has been waiting his turn in what seems forever. Good kid too.
Don't think he's another Terry Longbons, J? Was rooting for Baker to get reps with Carey before Jenkins' emergence, but college RBs, if they haven't had that breakout game the first three years, are usually rivalry game or bust as seniors.

I just think the position needs new blood, and Nick Wilson appears to be that blood.

Also good updates on the first-teamers from ANGCatFan. Haven't heard much about Jarvis McCall or Blake Brady, but wary, as too many Stoops starters were regular "big hitters" in camp and fall practice.

If he's a quick tackler, he'll get time. Otherwise the team needs Bondo, Johnny Jackson and any other experienced help it can get back there in the secondary ASAP.

While I think our receiving corps is overall tops in the Pac-12, I'm still not sold on Samajie and hope Nate Phillips is a quick heal. I see two or three other positions not quite ready for prime time yet, either.

I just hope we have a running back who is, and early.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think the staff is very high on Baker.He has a quick burst and some shiftyness to him. I have a bad feeling about this injury though.

i worry about a freshman like Wilson, not in the run game but picking up the blitz. Baker had three years of this. He knew how to pick it up. I think Grigsby Jones will fill in fine but I sure would love to see JB on the field.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, it's almost like the program has gone too long without a season-ending torn ACL to report. :( Hope that's not the case for Jared.

Jones-Grigsby has the pedigree but is a big unknown. Give the other RBs plenty of reps in the slot early even if Terris starts.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Steve Rivera at FSA with an update on the RB battle.
"It's going to benefit both of us because of the competition," Jones-Grigsby said of competing for the starting role. "We both want to win the spot and we like the competition."

If there is strong competition at the quarterback spot, it's equally tough at running back. Yes, it'll be day by day, meaning who gets the most snaps on Tuesday and Wednesday won't necessarily do so on Saturday. Starting spots are moving targets.

"That's what we've been talking about, it'll be by committee," Jones-Grigsby said. "Ka'Deem was the only guy (last year) who took on the load himself. We know we have big shoes to fill, but, one, two or three of us is all we need."
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Love these! I wish they put out more of them. Brewer in Red and Anu in White? What message is Coach Rod sending today?
[youtube]lygPEVsKGwA[/youtube]
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

ANGCatFan wrote:Love these! I wish they put out more of them. Brewer in Red and Anu in White? What message is Coach Rod sending today?
[youtube]lygPEVsKGwA[/youtube]
Honestly why the hell are we broadcasting a fake FG on youtube for everyone to see? Don't you want to keep trick plays under wraps?