2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by azcat49 »

3goggles wrote:We offered pa'o I think his name with a blue shirt! So help me understand this he pays only first semester of out of pocket then he becomes full scholarship in his second semester and counts towards the 2017 class. This kid is an animal and I love his motor and mean streak! This tells me the our staff thinks they are going to fill all the remaining spots but I would sure pa'o and Allen and I know Watson is not happening But I loved his motor.
That kid looks better to me on the OLine. Great push and mean streak. Think the blues hit means it's for two semesters but I could define be wrong
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I thought the same as looks like a good center in the mold of Steven gurrola

Would be awesome to get a couple DL in this class
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

azcat49 wrote:
3goggles wrote:We offered pa'o I think his name with a blue shirt! So help me understand this he pays only first semester of out of pocket then he becomes full scholarship in his second semester and counts towards the 2017 class. This kid is an animal and I love his motor and mean streak! This tells me the our staff thinks they are going to fill all the remaining spots but I would sure pa'o and Allen and I know Watson is not happening But I loved his motor.
That kid looks better to me on the OLine. Great push and mean streak. Think the blues hit means it's for two semesters but I could define be wrong
I'm sorry, I'm not as informed on recruits as some of you so what is this pa'o persons full name so I can look him up. lol
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
azpenguin wrote:Tough sledding with this class so far, but RichRod made the coaching moves to address recruiting, and it's not going to be fixed overnight. These guys are going to need a full recruiting cycle to pin down a class. Until then, it's gonna be interesting to see what they get to fill the available spots and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the spots weren't filled until after signing day. In the mean time, I wouldn't be shocked to see some of the current talent play up to a higher level. People wanted staff changes and they got them, but don't expect things to be seamless.
It's too little too late at this point. We're going on two straight subpar signing classes. That can capsize a program when it comes to talent and depth issues.

For all this talk about losing a (mediocre) DC costing us on the recruiting trail, explain a situation like Michigan where they lose their DC to Maryland but no commits, or Alabama losing their DC to Georgia, but no commits, or UCLA and ASU replacing their OCs without costing themselves commits! Time to own up to more severe reason guys. Other than the '14 signing class, recruiting has been dismal going back about 8 years.
This ^^^^^

Recruiting is the lifeblood for any college football program and for many reasons Arizona football struggles with it. This is year five under rich Rod and we might finish 11 out of 12 in the PAC 12 for recruiting classes

That will not help us make a rose bowl

Class is far from over but a once promising fringe top 25 class is looking far worse now especially along DL.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

:lol:
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
I'm sorry, I'm not as informed on recruits as some of you so what is this pa'o persons full name so I can look him up. lol
Josiah is his first name
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Newportcat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
azpenguin wrote:Tough sledding with this class so far, but RichRod made the coaching moves to address recruiting, and it's not going to be fixed overnight. These guys are going to need a full recruiting cycle to pin down a class. Until then, it's gonna be interesting to see what they get to fill the available spots and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the spots weren't filled until after signing day. In the mean time, I wouldn't be shocked to see some of the current talent play up to a higher level. People wanted staff changes and they got them, but don't expect things to be seamless.
It's too little too late at this point. We're going on two straight subpar signing classes. That can capsize a program when it comes to talent and depth issues.

For all this talk about losing a (mediocre) DC costing us on the recruiting trail, explain a situation like Michigan where they lose their DC to Maryland but no commits, or Alabama losing their DC to Georgia, but no commits, or UCLA and ASU replacing their OCs without costing themselves commits! Time to own up to more severe reason guys. Other than the '14 signing class, recruiting has been dismal going back about 8 years.
This ^^^^^

Recruiting is the lifeblood for any college football program and for many reasons Arizona football struggles with it. This is year five under rich Rod and we might finish 11 out of 12 in the PAC 12 for recruiting classes

Class is far from over but a once promising fringe top 25 class is looking far worse now especially along DL.
We have a lot of spots I don't think they're going to go unfilled. I think we finish better than it looks like we will right now.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

CatsbyAZ wrote:

Kids go to Bama or Michigan to play for the program and for Harbaugh & Sabam. Kids go to UCLA for UCLA, even if not necessarily to play for Mora.

Good point on ASU, though... they are kicking ass recruiting, and losing their OC has not seemed to cause so much as a speed bump.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:Arizona offered Victor Viramontes.

Bet he can throw it over those mountains...
LOL that looks like a screen shot of an 80's flick...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:2 Star. Lots of mid-major offers or Lower tier P5.

Like before. So late in recruiting cycle.
If he decommits we'll be reading about how he is no big loss instead of talk about how much upside he has.

I hope he turns out to be great, but we've seen this movie a thousand times...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrBug708 wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I like this kid from El Paso. Tall and appears to be a strong hitter.

Looks like we are the favorites for Chacho

Yep, just watched his video. Kid likes to bring the wood. Certainly looks like he's got a very high upside and hoping he's a bit under the radar.
He was a Michigan verbal. Not sure how under the radar he really is
Who was a Michigan verbal? I though Chacho was a Stanford verbal, and his offer list does not list Michigan.

The 2 star recruits from LA and El Paso don't have any offers that are even on Michigan's continent.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catinfl wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

This ^^^^^

We have a lot of spots I don't think they're going to go unfilled. I think we finish better than it looks like we will right now.
Let's see what the staff can do... But I would rather see us save acholies for next year than fill the class with warm bodies if that was what it came down to.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I like this kid from El Paso. Tall and appears to be a strong hitter.

Looks like we are the favorites for Chacho

Yep, just watched his video. Kid likes to bring the wood. Certainly looks like he's got a very high upside and hoping he's a bit under the radar.
He was a Michigan verbal. Not sure how under the radar he really is
Who was a Michigan verbal? I though Chacho was a Stanford verbal, and his offer list does not list Michigan.

The 2 star recruits from LA and El Paso don't have any offers that are even on Michigan's continent.
I switched up kids. Viramontes was a Michigan verbal
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Harvey Specter wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:
carcassdragger wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I
One of the kids does have an offer from Northwestern who plays in the same conference as Michigan. so technically on the same continent.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Saw the film on Cooper. Maybe we can teach Tristan how to properly tackle. I mean, come on....de-cleating your opponents is not what Arizona football is all about. Pile driving a beast of a TE, come on now....doesn't look like a team player either, always ripping the ball out and not letting the other kids return the fumble for the TD. Very selfish. Also, seems Tristan likes to turn on the afterburners after a pick and is celebrating a pick six all by himself as his teammates are slow to join the party. Disturbing.

Fucking love this kid!
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I too was very impressed with Coopers film. Looks like he can lay the wood and has very good techniques.

Wallace on the other hand, it looks like he could use a lot of work on tackling. He does not wrap up and a lot of times just throws his body at the ball carrier in hopes of knocking him over. He does seem like a ball hawk though, was that film just his senior year? If so he had to have had double digit interceptions on the season.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Cardinal rule of recruiting: Never offer a kid that is walk on material.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:Cardinal rule of recruiting: Never offer a kid that is walk on material.

Outside of family...
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Cardinal rule of recruiting: Never offer a kid that is walk on material.

Outside of family...

That falls under it as well. Instead, they offered his son and asked a better QB to walk on.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RichRod Jr (Rhett) would have had free tuition too being dad is an UA employee.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:RichRod Jr (Rhett) would have had free tuition too being dad is an UA employee.
Not free. Reduced tuition. 25% of normal + fees.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:RichRod Jr (Rhett) would have had free tuition too being dad is an UA employee.
How can RR afford that? :D
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, but that is completely irrelevant. Whether or not Rhett would sniff a scholie if he had a different last name is.

Miller finds a way to scrape a few pennies together to pay the reduced fees without using a scholarship.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, but that is completely irrelevant. Whether or not Rhett would sniff a scholie if he had a different last name is.

Miller finds a way to scrape a few pennies together to pay the reduced fees without using a scholarship.
Miller's son is a manager.. i think he's a sophomore so he's on scholarship.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Most don't like nepotism but it is alive and well in college football and in the world of business and politics..it is life...get over it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wonder what RichRod's daughter gets as a cheerleader. No fatties allowed apparently.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/fls/3070 ... 3-2014.pdf" target="_blank

Benefits:
• Nike Attire (warm-ups, practice t-shirts, shorts, travel duffle bag, shoes, etc.).
• Affiliation with one of the Top Athletics Departments in the country.
• Opportunity to travel for away Arizona Football games, Post-season Men’s and Women’s
Basketball, and Volleyball Final Four.
• Ability to see a nutritionist and have a custom nutritional plan developed.
• Use of Athletics Department Strength and Conditioning Center and a customized training program
provided by a Strength Coach.
• Access to Athletics Department team physicians and athletic trainers in the Kasser Medical
Treatment. Center. Medical coverage for team related injury.
• Use of the Athletics Department Academic Center with 50-work station computer lab.
• Assistance with career resume writing
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

btfd16 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

Miller's son is a manager.. i think he's a sophomore so he's on scholarship.
So students managers get full rides? That would surprise me. A lot.

That said, Austin is as qualified to be a team manager as anybody else...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UALoco wrote:Most don't like nepotism but it is alive and well in college football and in the world of business and politics..it is life...get over it.
Not to this extreme... and I can tell you I know of a lot of publicly traded companies where it would not be allowed.

Just cuz it happens sometimes doesn't mean it's cool.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Harvey Specter wrote:
UALoco wrote:Most don't like nepotism but it is alive and well in college football and in the world of business and politics..it is life...get over it.
Not to this extreme... and I can tell you I know of a lot of publicly traded companies where it would not be allowed.

Just cuz it happens sometimes doesn't mean it's cool.
:(
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Another day another decommitment. This one seems more ridiculous than the rest.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Yes, but Scheer on record that 2016 class will end up better than we all think. Except, I'm not sure how he knows what we think. Also, he didn't think Yates would be AZ DC couple days before he was...

Although I Expected this decommit. Rough waters expected with all the changes... Who knows, maybe AZ pulled his offer. As I said couple days ago, Iakopo very open in saying he was taking other official.

I'll add, even if new defensive staff lands home run in next years class, AZ still couple seasons away from realizing the benefits of that. Probably. Out out HS, some will need RS season, Others adjusting to College FB. It's going to take awhile and lots more patience. Nature of a programs turnover that's not a "brand" elite program.

Here you go... subscribe
Last edited by RazorsEdgeAZ on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

I warned all about London and it's no surprise. It hurts though. No other way to say it.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Lorenzo Burns will probably commit but in no way is he the game changer.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Hoping Himphill comes aboard! Think he'd be a decent replacement for Iakopo. Was thinking with 4-2-5, it might be harder to pull lb's due to lack of opportunity. Anyone? Realize some rush end/lb hybrid's could work, like Tuturi but...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
We have about 5 safety recruits so good luck kid. Think Caponi was looking for different guys then this staff is
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

My impression of Jason Scheer

We fired a bunch of guys who didn't recruit much, ran a terrible scheme, and replaced them with guys who are stud recruiters...yet more then half our class de-committed from us.

Honestly, this feels like a new coach recruiting class where we had a bunch of commits, coach got fired, we hired a new one, half the class leaves, and we are scrambling at the end to fill it up with some quality but also some not ranked guys who are of course #OKGs

I have a bad feeling all of you are going to hate me in about 2 weeks after my 100th post in this thread about how upset I am with our recruiting class. Deju Vu from 2015

Also no way you can tell me Rich Rod's flirtation with South Carolina didn't affect this class.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ramcat wrote:Hoping Himphill comes aboard! Think he'd be a decent replacement for Iakopo. Was thinking with 4-2-5, it might be harder to pull lb's due to lack of opportunity. Anyone? Realize some rush end/lb hybrid's could work, like Tuturi but...

You are 100% on ram.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

If our previous coaches were such crappy recruiters, why are you worried about guys they recruited decommitting?
-JB
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:My impression of Jason Scheer

We fired a bunch of guys who didn't recruit much, ran a terrible scheme, and replaced them with guys who are stud recruiters...yet more then half our class de-committed from us.

Honestly, this feels like a new coach recruiting class where we had a bunch of commits, coach got fired, we hired a new one, half the class leaves, and we are scrambling at the end to fill it up with some quality but also some not ranked guys who are of course #OKGs

I have a bad feeling all of you are going to hate me in about 2 weeks after my 100th post in this thread about how upset I am with our recruiting class. Deju Vu from 2015

Also no way you can tell me Rich Rod's flirtation with South Carolina didn't affect this class.
Scheer can be a raw raw guy but he's not off on what he says here. Sure, it freaking hurts but this coaching staff just started. These guys have their vision and don't expect them to land a Brandon Burton. London shutting the door may mean Allen does to but there is still hope here. I'm not a Cooper or Wallace guy but things could shift.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

UAEebs86 wrote:If our previous coaches were such crappy recruiters, why are you worried about guys they recruited decommitting?

That's a slippery slope. I agree with what you're saying but as you have witnessed, I have been slaughtered over such statements. London hurts. The Evals were on with him and he would have fit well. My opinion with Wallace and Cooper is that the Evals are slightly off but we shall see.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

First off, pretty sure most of the guys who de-committed were recruited by guys still on our staff like Modster, Burton, Watson, etc. My impression was Casteel and Kiravich literally didnt recruit anyone, Lockwood tried but was not a good recruiter, and Capino did some but most our recruiting is handled by Magee, Smith, Dews, Ragle, the Oline coach, and Dudek. Thats why they got fired.

Secondly I am worried about De-commits from guys like Modster, Burton, Iakopo, Allen, Utsey, Doucet, and Speights because all those guys de-committed to commit to major programs or have offers from major programs in big conferences so to me it lets me know that they had talent. To backfill those guys with players who do not have offers from major program tells me we are replacing good players with average players.

Now Sean Riley de-commits because we want to grey-shirt him, fine no big deal as we dont need anymore 5'8 150lbs players. But Iakopo has some good offers and is highly ranked at a position where we need immediate help. Are you not worried about that??? Same with Modster, Burton, Allen, Utsey, and Doucet.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Always look at the timing. If it were about the coaching or scheme changes, London would have been gone a few weeks ago. This is because London feels he is a better fit elsewhere.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

chiefzona wrote:Lorenzo Burns will probably commit but in no way is he the game changer.
He is deciding between us and Colorado....I guess at least he has another PAC 12 offer...I think he is actually already a secret commit for us
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Lorenzo Burns will probably commit but in no way is he the game changer.
He is deciding between us and Colorado....I guess at least he has another PAC 12 offer...I think he is actually already a secret commit for us
Burns isn't that good. I hope that statement ends up making me eat hellfire but I'll bet it doesn't.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Bottom line: recruits decommit for whatever reasons. Still a decommit. decommit in summer different than a decommit month or less away from signing day.

Without the decommits, AZ would still have likely been lower fourth of P12 class rankings. Fighting now to stay there. Can't compete with yourselves and expect to shine. All program have challenges. You're competing with the other P12 programs primarily.

Recruiting is not going the right direction. Thus some changes. Time will tell. Lots more time. Time will tell if 2014 class was the apex.
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

chiefzona wrote:Always look at the timing. If it were about the coaching or scheme changes, London would have been gone a few weeks ago. This is because London feels he is a better fit elsewhere.
Or could it be that the new D coaches didn't feel like he was the right fit and maybe told him as much? (Trying to be optimistic)
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

My bad, thought Iakopo was olb. Guess I should have said that I hope Chaco sp?, comes aboard to replace London.

Thanks Chief. Realize the 4-2-5 will likely morph at times depending on down and distance, but will be interesting to see how recruiting of lb's plays out, with only two spots in base defense.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chacho will be a healing commit and show the recruiting world that SoCal will be infiltrated by coaches who know it. My argument here is that coaches are getting pulled to go to Louisiana. $&@% Louisiana!!!! Camp in Cali! RR has to give in completely but some fools are still pumping Louisiana.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

TuiTouchdown wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Always look at the timing. If it were about the coaching or scheme changes, London would have been gone a few weeks ago. This is because London feels he is a better fit elsewhere.
Or could it be that the new D coaches didn't feel like he was the right fit and maybe told him as much? (Trying to be optimistic)
London was always the right commit just as JJ Allen is. Things will look up.