2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

chiefzona

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:First off, pretty sure most of the guys who de-committed were recruited by guys still on our staff like Modster, Burton, Watson, etc. My impression was Casteel and Kiravich literally didnt recruit anyone, Lockwood tried but was not a good recruiter, and Capino did some but most our recruiting is handled by Magee, Smith, Dews, Ragle, the Oline coach, and Dudek. Thats why they got fired.

Secondly I am worried about De-commits from guys like Modster, Burton, Iakopo, Allen, Utsey, Doucet, and Speights because all those guys de-committed to commit to major programs or have offers from major programs in big conferences so to me it lets me know that they had talent. To backfill those guys with players who do not have offers from major program tells me we are replacing good players with average players.

Now Sean Riley de-commits because we want to grey-shirt him, fine no big deal as we dont need anymore 5'8 150lbs players. But Iakopo has some good offers and is highly ranked at a position where we need immediate help. Are you not worried about that??? Same with Modster, Burton, Allen, Utsey, and Doucet.
So, I'm a homer? Shit! I'm the least homer on any board and make zero money on any of this yet I am 100% with Scheer and he won't even let me on his preferred board for free still!!!!! Haha! Modster was no fit. Utsey is garbage and the only pain is London.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Solid debates with minimal personal attacks..good stuff on this thread right now.

I'll be honest...I'm scared for next year. It sounds like we have to write it off and hope to get things in order for 2017. It is too bad though because our schedule in '16 is so good with so many home games.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

UALoco wrote:Solid debates with minimal personal attacks..good stuff on this thread right now.

I'll be honest...I'm scared for next year. It sounds like we have to write it off and hope to get things in order for 2017. It is too bad though because our schedule in '16 is so good with so many home games.
I don't think this class will have much effect on the outcome of next year
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Allen was just offered by A&M
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

chiefzona wrote:
Newportcat wrote:First off, pretty sure most of the guys who de-committed were recruited by guys still on our staff like Modster, Burton, Watson, etc. My impression was Casteel and Kiravich literally didnt recruit anyone, Lockwood tried but was not a good recruiter, and Capino did some but most our recruiting is handled by Magee, Smith, Dews, Ragle, the Oline coach, and Dudek. Thats why they got fired.

Secondly I am worried about De-commits from guys like Modster, Burton, Iakopo, Allen, Utsey, Doucet, and Speights because all those guys de-committed to commit to major programs or have offers from major programs in big conferences so to me it lets me know that they had talent. To backfill those guys with players who do not have offers from major program tells me we are replacing good players with average players.

Now Sean Riley de-commits because we want to grey-shirt him, fine no big deal as we dont need anymore 5'8 150lbs players. But Iakopo has some good offers and is highly ranked at a position where we need immediate help. Are you not worried about that??? Same with Modster, Burton, Allen, Utsey, and Doucet.
So, I'm a homer? Shit! I'm the least homer on any board and make zero money on any of this yet I am 100% with Scheer and he won't even let me on his preferred board for free still!!!!! Haha! Modster was no fit. Utsey is garbage and the only pain is London.
You are not a homer but I think you like many are being too flippant that the decommits are not just a this year thing and speak more to the structural problems that our program has and won't be fixed from changing up our coaches. I was fired up on our coaches and still am but never thought we would lose this many guys

Modster while maybe not the perfect fit is still a damn good QB prospect and I am disappointed we lost him to UCLA. burton was a big loss given how badly we need big strong DE's. I had concern about utsey but you can't coach size and god knows we need it across the DL. Doucet was a first team JC all American line backer and we could use one of those. London was a big strong safety and we need those too. Allen the same. Speights was a great RB process. Let's not even forget we had Shea Patterson at one time in this class. But we couldn't keep any of them once bigger or closer schools came calling.

There is no way to positively spin losing all these de-commits especially in the class that was supposed to be the one who took advantage of our 2014 PAC 12 south season.

ASU lost a big coordinator and finished with a losing record and are having a better class then us
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

chiefzona wrote:Chacho will be a healing commit and show the recruiting world that SoCal will be infiltrated by coaches who know it. My argument here is that coaches are getting pulled to go to Louisiana. $&@% Louisiana!!!! Camp in Cali! RR has to give in completely but some fools are still pumping Louisiana.
We already infiltrated SoCal well this past year just couldn't keep a good percentage of those commits. Most of the guys the staff is going after in SoCal were guys we have been on for awhile

Recruiting Louisiana is stupid. Finishing your class with one commit from a player from your home state is also pathetic
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:Chacho will be a healing commit and show the recruiting world that SoCal will be infiltrated by coaches who know it. My argument here is that coaches are getting pulled to go to Louisiana. $&@% Louisiana!!!! Camp in Cali! RR has to give in completely but some fools are still pumping Louisiana.
We already infiltrated SoCal well this past year just couldn't keep a good percentage of those commits. Most of the guys the staff is going after in SoCal were guys we have been on for awhile

Recruiting Louisiana is stupid. Finishing your class with one commit from a player from your home state is also pathetic[/quote

No offense but you're dumb.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

How am I dumb

I love when posters respond back with such educated comments like this

There was a rivals article from near the end of last summer that said behind USC and UCLA we were actually third in recruiting the state of California for 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes as at the time we had landed a number of key commits from Cali guys. I remember thinking finally Rich Rod gets it given we had guys like modster, Tate, burton, Hayes, colocion, Watson, cooper, etc.

I think this staff will do very well in SoCal but still will be a challenge to get the top guys.

Chacho is also a three star recruit and ranked 49th best player in Cali without an offer from USC or UCLA so while I think he would be a great commit for us, not exactly a program changing recruit that will make our competitors weak from fear.

So in the end no offense but you are dumb
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:How am I dumb

There was a rivals article from near the end of last summer that said behind USC and UCLA we were actually third in recruiting the state of California for 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes as at the time we had landed a number of key commits from Cali guys. I remember thinking finally Rich Rod gets it given we had guys like modster, Tate, burton, Hayes, colocion, Watson, cooper, etc.

I think this staff will do very well in SoCal but still will be a challenge to get the top guys.

Chacho is also a three star recruit and ranked 49th best player in Cali without an offer from USC or UCLA so while I think he would be a great commit for us, not exactly a program changing recruit that will make our competitors weak from fear.

I think you've taken the cake on that.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:
This class is on the verge of entering full-on dumpster fire territory.

I am still waiting for someone to suggest this is 'no big loss'.... and how these 2* recruits from El Paso and LA are 'much more important recruits'. :roll:
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azcat49 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
We have about 5 safety recruits so good luck kid. Think Caponi was looking for different guys then this staff is
You must be looking at something different than I am, because I see 3 DB recruits - and the 2 that appear to have the size to play safety (given their reported sizes) are 2* recruits from TX and LA with pretty unimpressive offer lists who committed in the last 2 days. But I am sure they are OKG's. :roll:

Sorry... I have been excited about the new staff but this recruiting class is looking like it is driving off a cliff at this point. I'll hope Scheer is right but I don't give his musings the esteem that most here seem to.

I wasn't expecting a home run class at this late stage but I was not expecting what we have been seeing lately, either.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Caponi was a garbage coach.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
This class is on the verge of entering full-on dumpster fire territory.

I am still waiting for someone to suggest this is 'no big loss'.... and how these 2* recruits from El Paso and LA are 'much more important recruits'. :roll:
I'm waiting to see how many rolling eyes emoticons you can add to a post

I'm also waiting for you to stop crying & understand we just made a coaching and defensive scheme change. Turnover is expected.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

chiefzona wrote:

Great comeback chief, way to use facts, logic, or reason

I think I was one of the few posters who actually didn't mind your posts before
Sid

Post by Sid »

I think we have (4) absolute diamonds that still remain committed. Star ratings won't necessarily reflect that, but film and what others in the know are saying, speak to this. Losing Modster and others sucks, but I much rather take kids that love our school and are ready to run through fucking walls! Let's have a little faith that our new coaches can coach up our current Cats and our new recruits. Also, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Rich gets a couple walk ons that are difference makers....2017 & 2018 will be the years to start getting excited about recruit star ratings.

BTFD
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
We have about 5 safety recruits so good luck kid. Think Caponi was looking for different guys then this staff is
You must be looking at something different than I am, because I see 3 DB recruits - and the 2 that appear to have the size to play safety (given their reported sizes) are 2* recruits from TX and LA with pretty unimpressive offer lists who committed in the last 2 days. But I am sure they are OKG's. :roll:

Sorry... I have been excited about the new staff but this recruiting class is looking like it is driving off a cliff at this point. I'll hope Scheer is right but I don't give his musings the esteem that most here seem to.

I wasn't expecting a home run class at this late stage but I was not expecting what we have been seeing lately, either.

I am assuming they will ink Chacho and another guy I can't remember for the 5th. I don't think this Iakopo was going to come in and dominate as none of our Juco guys seem to do that under RR anyway so the loss to me is negligible.

The class has imploded but oh well. Coaching change, we are Arizona whatever the reason. I am a bit more interested on who stays and how these new coaches developed these guys
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think freaking out over this class is useless at this point. I've already moved on. If we get good players who will contribute at some point, great. If not, then I really hope next year's class knocks this one out of the water because obviously we'll need the help and can sell immediate playing time.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Unless the new staff coming in had immediately signed 10 4/5 star kids then this class was never going to contribute much anyway. This is about them starting new recruiting relationships and taking us in a new direction. We will have to win with what we already have on the team in 2016 and are building for 2017, 2018, 2019...
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Newportcat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Great comeback chief, way to use facts, logic, or reason

I think I was one of the few posters who actually didn't mind your posts before
Love ya NC, just irritated about the sky is falling with this class. These new coaches are cleaning up a mess....transfers and decommits are to be expected. Beardown
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Football recruiting lol
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Too bad you can't stockpile scholies in football like you can in basketball for the following year.

Not that RR and staff could get that many good recruits anyway.

Maybe give that kicker a scholie.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Iakopo is a big loss, as was Burton and I would say Allen if I was not confident we are going to get him back. Lumping them together with Patterson (who committed because his brother was on staff) and Speights (who committed because Patterson committed) is misleading. It never made sense for Modster to come here when it became clear that Rich Rod preferred Tate and Tate would be arriving early. The rest of the losses to me are not a big deal since I do not feel like any of them would ever make an impact at Arizona regardless. If we can get Chacho and maybe surprise people with another couple solid players, that's the best we can hope for at this point. As long as we don't fill the class with Wallace types, who IMO is the equivalent of a preferred walk on, I am content with this class. I have come to grips with the fact that this class would not be very good and I am perfectly fine with saving some schollies for early enrollies next year or a kicker.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not sure if this has been posted, can't do a search on "sa'o"
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Sa'o would fall under the Wallace umbrella. And I thought we were recruiting him for the OL?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

chiefzona wrote:just irritated about the sky is falling with this class. These new coaches are cleaning up a mess....transfers and decommits are to be expected. Beardown
Don't agree with you all the time, but you're spot on here. People wanted a change and they got it. If you make a coaching staff change on this scale, don't expect a smooth ride immediately. I'm more interested in what the coaches do this year with the available talent than I am with this year's class, honestly.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I just wonder how many in-game threads next year are going to end with, "We gave our scholarship for a kicker away to RichRod's son."
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catgrad97 wrote:I just wonder how many in-game threads next year are going to end with, "We gave our scholarship for a kicker away to RichRod's son."

Best post I've seen in awhile.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

A 2 star 5'9" receiver. OK.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azgreg wrote:A 2 star 5'9" receiver. OK.
Britt also would fall under the Wallace umbrella. Why even offer a scholarship to a guy who is most likely not going to make an impact at a P5 school.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Quite unimpressive lot, smacks of desperation to fill the 25 slots.

Going to be a pretty good scout team though.

Guess RichRod can't say this is the best walk on program in the nation any more when these kids are getting scholies.

Did have a Miami offer, but other than that a bunch of directional schools.

Arizona COMMITTED (01/27/2016) Offered 01/15/2016
Bowling Green None Offered None
Cent. Michigan None Offered None
E. Kentucky None None
Florida Intl. None Offered None
Louisville None None
Miami (FL) None Offered None
Middle Tenn. St. None Offered None
Ohio None Offered None
Samford None Offered None
W. Kentucky None Offered None
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Sid wrote:I think we have (4) absolute diamonds that still remain committed. Star ratings won't necessarily reflect that, but film and what others in the know are saying, speak to this. Losing Modster and others sucks, but I much rather take kids that love our school and are ready to run through fucking walls! Let's have a little faith that our new coaches can coach up our current Cats and our new recruits. Also, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Rich gets a couple walk ons that are difference makers....2017 & 2018 will be the years to start getting excited about recruit star ratings.

BTFD
I agree there's about 4 to 5 recruits I'm excited about. But I'm also glad that the populace in this thread is now realizing the rest of the class has been mismanaged and left a lot to desire.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Sid wrote:But I'm also glad that the populace in this thread is now realizing the rest of the class has been mismanaged and left a lot to desire.
I wouldn't call it mismanaged at all, but i know the glasses some of you look through. Everyone wanted a new defense. Bamm. Fired his 2 buddies and hired young fresh blood with a new defense. Kids have relationships with coaches...not schools. So we lose some guys to those relationships, and we add new ones. At what point are you happy? You asked for change, and you got it. Now let the change grow instead of expecting results yesterday.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

I used to question the guys RR brings in on offense. For the life of me I couldn't figure out his love for Nate Phillips who was a 5'9 2* recruit. Wanted him to go after other guys, but low and behold he will be a four year starter. I don't question RR when it comes to offense
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

BTW he is greyshirting
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

catinfl wrote:BTW he is greyshirting
So not only are we using a scholarship on a marginal talent, but we are using a schollie on the recruiting class that is supposed to be much better?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote:
catinfl wrote:BTW he is greyshirting
So not only are we using a scholarship on a marginal talent, but we are using a schollie on the recruiting class that is supposed to be much better?
Seriously. Plenty of room this year, why count against next class?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

whatisee wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Sid wrote:But I'm also glad that the populace in this thread is now realizing the rest of the class has been mismanaged and left a lot to desire.
I wouldn't call it mismanaged at all, but i know the glasses some of you look through. Everyone wanted a new defense. Bamm. Fired his 2 buddies and hired young fresh blood with a new defense. Kids have relationships with coaches...not schools. So we lose some guys to those relationships, and we add new ones. At what point are you happy? You asked for change, and you got it. Now let the change grow instead of expecting results yesterday.
Can we at least get a few decent Defensive Ends?!?!?

That would be a start.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
whatisee wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Can we at least get a few decent Defensive Ends?!?!?

That would be a start.
That would involve hiring a DL coach first, but don't worry we are in a good position to steal a commit at DE who is the 431st best prospect in this class. Oh wait, that's 431st best in the state of Florida that can't be right....
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

He can use a schollie from this class if there is extra
Sid

Post by Sid »

whatisee wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Ahhhh, I never said that. Why is that statement quoted under my handle?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Main Event wrote:Football recruiting lol
So simple yet so true
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Apparently they like Britt. Small guy but he runs a 4.5 40 (which S&C could probably take another tenth or so off of.) With Philips and Grant graduating, Tyrell Johnson gone after next year unless he takes a RS which is doubtful, I'm guessing they think he might be a good replacement to put in the slot. As with all recruits, we'll see.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

gronk4heisman wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote: Can we at least get a few decent Defensive Ends?!?!?

That would be a start.
That would involve hiring a DL coach first, but don't worry we are in a good position to steal a commit at DE who is the 431st best prospect in this class. Oh wait, that's 431st best in the state of Florida that can't be right....
So no DL coach, and virtually no DL anyway.

Is the plan for someday a 0-3-5 defense?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote: Can we at least get a few decent Defensive Ends?!?!?

That would be a start.
So no DL coach, and virtually no DL anyway.

Is the plan for someday a 0-3-5 defense?
Well we played sometimes last year like it was a 0-3-5 defense

Crazy it has taken this long to hire a DL coach. My only thought is the guy is currently at a school and will leave right after signing day. Outside of that no idea what the hold up is, aren't they starting spring ball like Feb 15th?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Just a thought maybe they are waiting until this weekend and make a final strong push and then ride the momentum of Joe S as the DL coach all the way to signing day!......
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

3goggles wrote:Just a thought maybe they are waiting until this weekend and make a final strong push and then ride the momentum of Joe S as the DL coach all the way to signing day!......
Why not ride that momentum the past two weeks? If a guy's going to be a great island recruiter, why not see if he can add anything to this class?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Sage&Silver wrote:
3goggles wrote:Just a thought maybe they are waiting until this weekend and make a final strong push and then ride the momentum of Joe S as the DL coach all the way to signing day!......
Why not ride that momentum the past two weeks? If a guy's going to be a great island recruiter, why not see if he can add anything to this class?
I'm just trying to come up with a reason why this is taking so long. You could lessen the chance of a decommitment. This way I guess. I don't think this is really happening just trying to wrap my head of possible scenarios
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

3goggles wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:
I'm just trying to come up with a reason why this is taking so long. You could lessen the chance of a decommitment. This way I guess. I don't think this is really happening just trying to wrap my head of possible scenarios
That scenario seems very very very unlikely

Who really knows though as maybe coaches are too busy recruiting to nail down a DL coach