2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Gladiator Cat

Re: 2016 Recruit/Commitment Thread

Post by Gladiator Cat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote: Can we at least get a few decent Defensive Ends?!?!?

That would be a start.
That would involve hiring a DL coach first, but don't worry we are in a good position to steal a commit at DE who is the 431st best prospect in this class. Oh wait, that's 431st best in the state of Florida that can't be right....
So no DL coach, and virtually no DL anyway.

Is the plan for someday a 0-3-5 defense?
CatsbyAZ,

This lengthy DL coach search is going to come back and haunt the **** outta us big-time next year. I'm not even saying this is RR fault but this is going to set us way way back.

This is effectively going to be a complete missed recruiting season on the defensive side of the ball unless Yates and Williams both turn into Superman and do the impossible.

I just don't see it.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Did you guys know this about our newest recruit. Maybe this is why he is greyshirting

The guys heart stopped about a month ago

http://www.theledger.com/article/201512 ... ?p=3&tc=pg
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:

That would be a start.
That would involve hiring a DL coach first, but don't worry we are in a good position to steal a commit at DE who is the 431st best prospect in this class. Oh wait, that's 431st best in the state of Florida that can't be right....

CatsbyAZ,

This lengthy DL coach search is going to come back and haunt the **** outta us big-time next year. I'm not even saying this is RR fault but this is going to set us way way back.

This is effectively going to be a complete missed recruiting season on the defensive side of the ball unless Yates and Williams both turn into Superman and do the impossible.

I just don't see it.
Shocking but I am going to take a more optimistic spin as I think there is still a chance at LB and Secondary we end up with a good recruiting class. Nothing crazy special but some solid high three star type guys.

defensive line is another story unless we land Allen and some surprises we don't know about.
At this point though looks like a disaster. Will always be pissed about losing Burton to UCLA. Guy was the exact type of big strong DE we have needed for so long

So I think we could end up missing badly at dlineman but still have chance LB and Secondary finishes fine
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I'm not that worried about LB this year. There's a lot more on the roster than people think. Kenny is going to get a shot this year. Ippolito and Matthews are back. Colacion is coming in. Plus a hell of a lot of guys who got playing time this year due to injuries. If they're indeed running 4-2-5, then that's going to change things as far as how many LBs are on the field at once. Some of these guys may get a look at other defensive positions. I have to wonder if some of the bigger LBs are going to get a chance to see if they can play DE.

As I said before, I'm less concerned with the recruiting class than I am with seeing how the staff utilizes the talent that is available.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

azpenguin wrote:I'm not that worried about LB this year. There's a lot more on the roster than people think. Kenny is going to get a shot this year. Ippolito and Matthews are back. Colacion is coming in. Plus a hell of a lot of guys who got playing time this year due to injuries. If they're indeed running 4-2-5, then that's going to change things as far as how many LBs are on the field at once. Some of these guys may get a look at other defensive positions. I have to wonder if some of the bigger LBs are going to get a chance to see if they can play DE.

As I said before, I'm less concerned with the recruiting class than I am with seeing how the staff utilizes the talent that is available.
That's the talk track now. In the fall it will be "what do you expect? Look at the talent these guys inherited... They need some time to get their own guys in the program". Followed up this time next year with "you cannot expect a monster class in their first full recruiting class... It takes time to build relationships. We should see progress in the class of '18, but the real dividends will come in the class of '19".

Rinse and repeat... this is Arizona football. If I ever run a publicl traded company, I want some of you guys on my BOD.

I am happy we made a chance, and I did not expect anything close to a monster class. But this is looking right now like the train is off the tracks, and I did not expect that either. These recent commits read like more of the same from my viewpoint.

Everyone keeps counting Allen and Chacho like they are already on board... I sure hope you all are right.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I am concerned with every single recruiting class at Arizona as every class either brings us closer to a rose bowl or keeps us far away.

Every class matters especially when our previous class is looking pretty average to not so great at this point.

Also this was the class to take advantage of our PAC 12 championship game appearance, that's what everyone told me last year.

I agree, I want to have all of you invest in my real estate deals as I could make up every excuse in the book why a deal not going right and many of the posters would buy it.

Honey look he said Compton was an up and coming area, have faith next year he will get it leased
Sage&Silver

Post by Sage&Silver »

3goggles wrote:
Sage&Silver wrote:
3goggles wrote:Just a thought maybe they are waiting until this weekend and make a final strong push and then ride the momentum of Joe S as the DL coach all the way to signing day!......
Why not ride that momentum the past two weeks? If a guy's going to be a great island recruiter, why not see if he can add anything to this class?
I'm just trying to come up with a reason why this is taking so long. You could lessen the chance of a decommitment. This way I guess. I don't think this is really happening just trying to wrap my head of possible scenarios
I'm a fan of the "gets Matty D out 'crootin' defense. I don't believe it for a second, but I want it to be true.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Might as well announce the new DL coach once the dead period hits on...Monday? Though if they had one ready to go, I'd imagine somebody would have leaked a name by now, unless it's a promotion.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Harvey Specter wrote:That's the talk track now. In the fall it will be "what do you expect? Look at the talent these guys inherited... They need some time to get their own guys in the program". Followed up this time next year with "you cannot expect a monster class in their first full recruiting class... It takes time to build relationships. We should see progress in the class of '18, but the real dividends will come in the class of '19".

Rinse and repeat... this is Arizona football. If I ever run a publicl traded company, I want some of you guys on my BOD.

I am happy we made a chance, and I did not expect anything close to a monster class. But this is looking right now like the train is off the tracks, and I did not expect that either. These recent commits read like more of the same from my viewpoint.

Everyone keeps counting Allen and Chacho like they are already on board... I sure hope you all are right.
Lots of truth to this. There seems to be a defend narrative that props up when things don't appear to be stacking up to an expectation or hope and that narrative is why it will be different, or when it will happen, or why it didn't happen this time.

And I think it's very fair to remind that many on here (media too) said at the time, that the expectation of benefiting from the P12 South title was too late for last years class and the talk defense was it's a class behind and this years class is where the expectation should be and that when it would happen (this year). Some were "surprised" (me, lack of progression) and disappointed at last years blah class and were met with this defend the timing and class ranking with these talking points.

Well Shit happens (and I mean going 3-6 in conference play) and we're upon this class that was to take advantage of that Division title. And I'll remind, the class was mediocre even before the firing of defensive coaches. So I don't put it the coaching change. Before the coaching change, AZ was still 8th or 9th in P12 recruiting rank. I don't think that's what many meant was the reaping the benefits of a Division title.

Change was needed, glad something changed. Doesn't mean it will get better. Just means there's a chance. New coaches need to perform, need to show some coaching and recruiting achievements. Can't just give it to them that all will be better or great. Let's give them a fair shot and see what happens.

Remember the same defense scheme many hated and the same coaches that on board that won Division title were replaced, NOT HERE any longer. They're gone. That's the standard team wise. defense has a great chance to get better because it has been so bad for couple years no (yes injuries or no injuries). That's the high mark new recruits and coaches need to be evaluated on. They need time.

But let's be real when we're all evaluating the on-field performance and recruiting (including transfers) until when or if that standard can be met or exceeded. No excuses. Because Shit happens, and Shit happens at most every program. It's a big boy competitive conference.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Remember the same defense scheme many hated and the same coaches that on board that won Division title were replaced, NOT HERE any longer. They're gone. That's the standard team wise. defense has a great chance to get better because it has been so bad for couple years no (yes injuries or no injuries). That's the high mark new recruits and coaches need to be evaluated on. They need time.
Er, you're stretching credibility when you state the defense won the title. It'd be more accurate to say we won the title despite the defense.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Puerco wrote:
Er, you're stretching credibility when you state the defense won the title. It'd be more accurate to say we won the title despite the defense.
I said "TEAM" wise. Also said the defense can get better because has been so bad. So the defense and defensive coaching needs to be good enough for the TEAM to win a division title. The standard to build expectation.

But if the defense improved and the TEAM did not win a division title, I would expect the narrative to shift to Offense. Bottom line. TEAM won a division title. Regardless of coaching, side of ball other variables, Division title is the standard now in place. And it happened in spite of now fired coaches and a horrible defense. So if the changes were to improve the defense, then the standard should be in play regardless if it's offense or defense when we're being real or not on field performance or recruiting. Doesn't matter to me if the Defense tops in country but the Offense not good enough, coaching not good enough, recruiting not good enough to win another division title.

Little to no difference TEAM achievement wise.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Wonder what this means?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Harvey Specter wrote:
azpenguin wrote:I'm not that worried about LB this year. There's a lot more on the roster than people think. Kenny is going to get a shot this year. Ippolito and Matthews are back. Colacion is coming in. Plus a hell of a lot of guys who got playing time this year due to injuries. If they're indeed running 4-2-5, then that's going to change things as far as how many LBs are on the field at once. Some of these guys may get a look at other defensive positions. I have to wonder if some of the bigger LBs are going to get a chance to see if they can play DE.

That's the talk track now. In the fall it will be "what do you expect? Look at the talent these guys inherited... They need some time to get their own guys in the program". Followed up this time next year with "you cannot expect a monster class in their first full recruiting class... It takes time to build relationships. We should see progress in the class of '18, but the real dividends will come in the class of '19".

You make some big leaps there. That's not what I'm seeing at all. I'm seeing this years class as a case of "get what you can get" because this is the price of a coaching change this late in the cycle. I'm also of the belief (not shared by many) that there's more talent on the roster than people think. I want to see what the new coaches do with the guys that are here. If they can coach these guys up nicely to a point where they can rank 70-80th in the nation, with more sacks and more takeaways, then we've got a stinging indictment of the previous staff, evidence that there's talent already here to work with, and high hopes for future classes. If we get the same as last year, then we know where we stand with a rebuild. As for next year, I expect a quality class, not one where they're building relationships, as you imply that I am thinking. RR had to duct tape a class together in 2012, and then the 2013 class had Scooby, Solomon, Philips, Grant, Gurrola, Johnson, Bruno, Miller, Alsadek, and Turituri, all who have been impact players. Plus role players Scroggins, Morgan, Holiday, Banda, Green, and Allen. They also brought in Jones and Neal off transfers, so they sat out that year.

I follow recruiting with some interest, but it's such a flippin' crapshoot that I never get too worked up about it (of course, I don't get too worked up about anything with Arizona sports, it's something I've always loved but not something I wrap my life around.) Every class is hugely important but you don't know what you have for at least a couple of years.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

UALoco wrote:Wonder what this means?
There's at least one silent commit if I remember right. It could be about that or he may have someone waiting quietly in the wings.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Brad Allis is saying burgess and ulloa are probably announcing tonight. Those would be two good gets!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Scheer alluded to that they may be waiting due to a gentlemen's agreement with the current team of the future DL coach to wait until signing day so that team won't see a flood of decommits like Arizona is going through.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I figured this had to be it as I know that they are prepared to pay a good market salary for a coach and being a DL coach at a PAC 12 university should not be this hard to fill

The only thing that sucks is I think it will affect our DL recruiting which is a position of great need for us
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chacho Chacho Chacho
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Did chacho commit? I also say your tweet about Brandon Burton you think that happening
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Burgess to Utah
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Newportcat wrote:Burgess to Utah
Buy a nice coat kid.
prh

Post by prh »

UALoco wrote:
Buy a nice coat kid.
For sure. Living in SLC (and having been around their campus a bit), I have a hard time understanding why any kid would want to come here for college when there are magical wonderlands like the U of A waiting for you.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Bummer. :cry:

Burgess would've been a worthwhile commit.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I thought for sure he was going to Cal, hopefully this doesn't make Cal more appealing for Chacho. I am sure they will be going all in on him now.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:

That would be a start.

CatsbyAZ,

I just don't see it.
How will it hurt? Generally only Head Coach hires make slashes. The DL coach wasn't going to make a difference, just like the DC and CB hires don't make that much of a difference for 2016. For 2017, taking 2-3 weeks longer isn't much more than a blip
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Another 2 star coming to campus with offers from service academies and directional schools:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /79515026/" target="_blank

Chandler Hamilton senior athlete Kyeler Burke said that he is visiting Arizona on Saturday with a hope that a football scholarship becomes available for him.

Hamilton coach Steve Belles said that he isn't sure if UA is going to ask him to be a preferred walk-on or if it will have an extra scholarship.

"He'll find out Saturday," Belles said. "If a scholarship is available, he is well-deserving of it. There are a couple of guys who decommitted or if there are other need positions, they can say, 'We'll give you one.' You don't know what colleges are going to do."
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

If it helps to open up Hamilton give him a schollie.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

chiefzona wrote:
MrBug708 wrote:Donte is Ground Zero guy, too bad he just missed out on this 2016 class

Exactly and as you know, so is Alloway. I think Donte isn't ready to quit on 2016 yet. Wait for 2017 though. Guarantee its RR's best class at Arizona. Easy. I wouldn't be surprised if it was top 30.
Worst kept secret as he commits to ucla
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Good player but doubt he gets a schollie
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Word is one of our commits is on an official at ASU right now who is it
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Devaughn Cooper
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

ramcat wrote:Devaughn Cooper
Is RR going to pull his offer
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

3goggles wrote:
Is RR going to pull his offer
Depends on if he actually wants him
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So kyeler burke from Hamilton was in town 247sports has him a 2* but he was apart of the semper fi all american game.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Pull the offer.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Irish27 wrote:
Pull the offer.
Disagree. We are not in a position to play that kind of hardball, IMO - but I understand and respect your opinion.

For all we know, he is just kicking tires. Kadeem went up there and ended up coming. Would it have been wise to pull his offer?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I have to be honest but I hate college football recruiting. Maybe it would be different if Arizona recruited well but I swear seems like every year we lose more guys then we win and it's always hard to keep our best players as top programs can just grab them.

I follow it so closely but just so mind numbingly frustrating especially when so many of these guys never amount to anything of substance
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I think the recruiters we have may be able to help that it's never going to be completely fixed well I will never say never but it can get better and I think it will. I'm excited to see what donte and Yates can do with a full year to recruit the 2017 class then trying to save the 2016 class
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

84Cat wrote:
An OKG I am sure, but a 6'4", 215 lb DE prospect from FL - and we were is only P5 conference offer. Is this what MattyD knew that we did not?

I want to be positive... but this is the. 3rd 2* prospect in a row from talent-rich states that are flooded with college recruiters.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
84Cat wrote:
An OKG I am sure, but a 6'4", 215 lb DE prospect from FL - and we were is only P5 conference offer. Is this what MattyD knew that we did not?

I want to be positive... but this is the. 3rd 2* prospect in a row from talent-rich states that are flooded with college recruiters.
The last four commits we have gotten have all been progressively worse. This kid is like the 415 best player in the state of Florida this year.

I guess the good news is his heart didn't stop a month ago like that Britt kid we got. That is just crazy we would take a commit from a kid who a month earlier had his heart stop. Oh by the way Britt also runs a 4.82 forty

We traded Jake Burton for Francisco Nelson. Talk about a trade rape
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Newportcat wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
84Cat wrote:

The last four commits we have gotten have all been progressively worse. This kid is like the 415 best player in the state of Florida this year.

I guess the good news is his heart didn't stop a month ago like that Britt kid we got. That is just crazy we would take a commit from a kid who a month earlier had his heart stop. Oh by the way Britt also runs a 4.82 forty

We traded Jake Burton for Francisco Nelson. Talk about a trade rape
You're an idiot if you think they wanted Nelson over Burton. I agree with the recent commits being average to below average. why not just save these scholarships for next years big class that we are going to bringing in!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I don't in anyway think they would have traded Burton for Nelson but that's essentially what happened, Burton left and we picked up Nelson to replace him.

With Arizona football it is always next years class...
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Arizona Football Recruiting = House of Pain

And it has been that way for some time.

Just made worse when ASsU is #31 and we are #61.

Bearing Down to Do More With Less
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

3goggles wrote:why not just save these scholarships for next years big class that we are going to bringing in!
Because they are only allowed to count 25 scholies against each class.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azpenguin wrote:
3goggles wrote:why not just save these scholarships for next years big class that we are going to bringing in!
Because they are only allowed to count 25 scholies against each class.
Find some EEs
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

CatsbyAZ,

I just don't see it.
What pisses me off is that a MWC school like Boise St has 7 DL commits going into signing day. 5 DEs - rivals ratings 5.6, 5.6, 5.5, 5.4 & 5.4; & 2 DTs
- 5.5 & 5.4. Meanwhile, for months, all our coaches have had is one local guy committed to play for a DL unit that's as undermanned as you can get. It's an intentionally negligent effort on the part of RichRod and his staff.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

CatsbyAZ,

I just don't see it.
What pisses me off is that a MWC school like Boise St has 7 DL commits going into signing day. 5 DEs - rivals ratings 5.6, 5.6, 5.5, 5.4 & 5.4; & 2 DTs
- 5.5 & 5.4. Meanwhile, for months, all our coaches have had is one local guy committed to play for a DL unit that's as undermanned as you can get. It's an intentionally negligent effort on the part of RichRod and his staff.
I guess that's why we made some changes.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

CatsbyAZ,

I just don't see it.

By "changes" might you mean we've decided to actually try and recruit DL, instead of intentionally not? Still don't see any changes yet.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
Chicat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:
CatsbyAZ wrote:

CatsbyAZ,

I just don't see it.

By "changes" might you mean we've decided to actually try and recruit DL, instead of intentionally not? Still don't see any changes yet.
By changes I mean the new defensive coaches. The guys who have been recruiting for us for only a couple of weeks.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?