Fall Camp

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

Re: Fall Camp

Post by ANGCatFan »

Gimino with a running back story for the AP. No revelations, but I liked these quotes:
"You want three ready to go," said Calvin Magee, Arizona's co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach. "But you never know that. It could be two, it could be three, it could be one. I didn't plan it that way, for Ka'Deem to be one; he just never got tired."

"We have some variety. We have some guys," Magee said. "They are all doing so well, it's making it fun."

"Terris is solid, very solid in every area," Magee said. "That's what makes him pretty good. He won't make many mistakes. He can play in a football game and you know he is going to be sound. That's what I love about him."

Wilson might have the most potential in turning into an all-down back like Carey was. He kept an eye on Carey even before committing to Arizona, then met him at UA's junior day a couple of years ago.

"I was standing next to him and I was like, 'We're the same height, the same weight, the same body build.' We even look a little bit similar," Wilson said. "Everybody kind of calls me 'Young Ka'Deem' or 'Little 'Deem.' When I committed and started watching him a little bit more, I was like, 'Whoa, if he can succeed in this offense, why can't I?'"
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Can't wait to watch these guys run.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Irish27 wrote:
So....as someone who really hasn't followed camp/off season much.....is there any good news in the kicking game?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Hey, at least these guys aren't getting buried on the roster because of inaccurate reads in practice, as Stoops was infamous for doing.

These guys are leaving because they get they'll probably be played as little as possible.

Still, every team needs a kickoff guy with enough range to get the ball in the end zone, and enough accuracy to split the uprights from 40-50 yards.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
So....as someone who really hasn't followed camp/off season much.....is there any good news in the kicking game?
Zendejas isn't on the rooster?
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

catgrad97 wrote:Hey, at least these guys aren't getting buried on the roster because of inaccurate reads in practice, as Stoops was infamous for doing.

These guys are leaving because they get they'll probably be played as little as possible.

Still, every team needs a kickoff guy with enough range to get the ball in the end zone, and enough accuracy to split the uprights from 40-50 yards.
Completely agree. It appears that the best play with RR which did not happen with Stoops. The other thing that happens with RR is that the players get better.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
Zendejas isn't on the rooster?
hahahahahahahahahahah ok, that IS good news.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
I haven't read any good reports about the kickers in camp, just on Riggleman the punter.

Flatau kicked a 52 yard FG in HS, kicker of the year in his conference, set record for longest punt, scholar athlete. The scholar athlete helps but not if he was a walk on, but he probably was since RR doesn't like to give scholies to ST players.

Flatau is still on this roster, is this not the official one? http://www.arizonawildcats.com/SportSel ... PID=127113

Kickers:

41 Skowron, Casey K 5-10 160 RJr. Phoenix, Ariz. (Brophy Prep)
48 Flatau, Jack K/P 5-8 165 RFr. Oceanside, Calif. (El Camino HS)
34 Keyserling, Ethan K/P 6-2 203 RSr. Chapel Hill, N.C. (East Chapel Hill HS/Virginia Tech)
9 Pollack, Josh K/P 5-10 180 Fr. Highland Park, Ill. (Highland Park HS)
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote: I haven't read any good reports about the kickers in camp, just on Riggleman the punter.
Well that's confidence inspiring lol.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Merkin wrote: I haven't read any good reports about the kickers in camp, just on Riggleman the punter.
Well that's confidence inspiring lol.
Punter? We don't need no stinking punter.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Brad Allis at WSR with a camp summation. His final thoughts:
Strengths
The offensive line is as advertised, as are the wide receivers. They have four legitimately good safeties on the roster.

Concerns
Until I see otherwise, I will be worried about the kicking game. The defensive line is unproven, though I like some of the big bodies. 1-5 there is as much talent at QB as I can remember in the program, but is there a true No. 1? Can the running back by committee take pressure off of whoever wins the QB job? Lot of bodies at LB, have enough studs developed. Is there a pass rush?
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

[youtube]S4L7rqjH0nk[/youtube]
TuiTouchdown

Post by TuiTouchdown »

ANGCatFan wrote:[youtube]S4L7rqjH0nk[/youtube]
That got me pumped up. Thanks ANG for doing your part making this offseason fly by.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Brad Allis at WSR with another short, free article summarizing camp. Money quote:
Tempo is something that may be improved. I have noticed the team playing faster during the few open practices and Rodriguez has heard the same from others taking in practice.

“I'm probably too close to the situation to assess it, but a few people who have come to practice both of the last two years have said that we're playing a lot faster,” Rodriguez said. “I think it's a combination of it being the third year in this system and having faster players."
Brad is seeing the same thing I have seen at the open practices. We are a faster team.

I disagree with Coach Rod, this is not about faster players (although we do have those). The QB and team are getting to the line and executing faster as a unit. IMNSHO, all 4 of the quarterbacks were able to run the offense at the same pace or better than Scott and Denker were the last 2 years during fall camp.

The biggest improvement on this team has been the depth at QB. For the past 2 years during camp, the #2 QB was unable to run the offense at a quick tempo, let alone correctly execute all the plays. I believe that not only will the starting QB be better than Denker, but his back-up will be also. We are no longer one QB injury away from a disastrous season.