First look UNLV

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

First look UNLV

Post by ANGCatFan »

The Star is going to look at all 12 scheduled opponents over the next 6 weeks. Berk's first article is on UNLV. Highlights:

Projections: Athlon Sports ranked UNLV 101st nationally and fourth in the Mountain West’s West Division. Lindy’s Sports ranked UNLV No. 83 and gave the Rebels a decent chance at finishing at or above .500. USA Today, counting down all 128 FBS teams, ranked UNLV 111th, one spot behind New Mexico and one spot ahead of Kansas.

Position to watch in fall camp: This one’s easy: quarterback. The Rebels were struggling last year when they hosted Arizona and lost 58-13. But quarterback Caleb Herring took over as quarterback two weeks later. The Rebels won seven of their last 10 games and played in the Heart of Dallas Bowl. Herring graduated after the season, and the Rebels are hoping they won’t take a step back without him.

Wide receiver Devante Davis: A legitimate NFL prospect, Davis caught 87 passes for 1,290 yards and 14 touchdowns last season as a junior. He had three catches for 84 yards and a touchdown in the loss to Arizona.

Safety Peni Vea: The junior from Hawaii led the team with 111 tackles last season and added a pair of interceptions.

215.5: The Rebels ranked 107th nationally last season, giving up 215.5 rushing yards per game. It’s anybody’s guess who will get the first crack at replacing Ka’Deem Carey for UA, but this should be a good first game to break into.

4,241: Decker, who the Rebels are hoping is the real deal, threw for 4,241 yards and 47 touchdowns last season for Scottsdale Community College, where he was teammates with Arizona’s Patrick Glover and Antonio Smothers.

45: UNLV gave up 45 points in the first half against Arizona last season and trailed 45-6 at half.

How they’re different than last time: They’re better. The Rebels were probably the worst FBS team the Wildcats faced last season, and that includes UTSA and Cal. But they really improved as the year went on, and even without Herring, the Rebels still have more talent at all positions than they did last season.

Sports Insights has Arizona a 25.5 point favorite over UNLV.
TuiTouchdown

Re: First look UNLV

Post by TuiTouchdown »

Nice insight. I'm hoping that we can use this game to give some good experience to whoever is in the lead to be our next starting QB.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cats open as a 24 point favorite.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I am taking the over. I would take the over on 27.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Austin Hill breaks down our receivers for Steve Rivera at FSA:
-- Cayleb Jones - "He brings a lot to the table. He's athletic and his big body is a big threat, especially when he's up against smaller defensive backs. He's able to get to balls and he's able to adjust his body. He catches the ball well."

-- Trey Griffey is "very smart and he knows what he's doing in any situation. He has so much potential."

-- David Richards "has come a long way. He's one of our biggest receivers. He can throw his body around. And he's very good in red zone catches."

-- Nate Phillips: "I love Nate. He's very smart. He knows where to go in certain coverages and he can really tear up a defense by reading zone and man. He's very good with (man-to-man) routes. He'll be even better than he was (last year)."

-- Samajie Grant "is awesome. He's quick and one of the quicker receivers. His body control is unbelievable."

As for himself, Hill says he's 100 percent healthy and ready for a potential All-America season like he had two seasons ago.
"I don't want to say I'm old school, but I think I bring that element," he said. "I think I'm just rough, hard-nosed. I'm not afraid to get hit; not afraid to throw my body around and go for those hard-to-get-to balls. I think I'm a third-down threat. I'll be there when they need me the most."
I can't wait until this group hits the field on Friday. That is a lot of playmaking ability!
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Should be an exciting year once Anu warms up.