Arizona Wildcats 2014 Predictions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

How many games will Arizona Wildcats win?

>10
10%
19%
37%
19%
8%
3%
No votes
<5
3%

Total votes: 62

dc4azcats

Re: Arizona Wildcats 2014 Predictions

Post by dc4azcats »

Scheer just tweeted that it's the 9th time under Leach that Wazzu has rushed for less than 10 yards in a game. That's impressive. It's also why they lose games like they just did.
Last edited by dc4azcats on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

dc4azcats wrote:a typical Wazzu loss.
I believe the term you are looking for is "coug'd it."
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azgreg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
You predicted a 9-4 record for the UA....which obviously implies you think UA will beat WSU.

Halliday, by the way, is starting to smoke Rutgers.........do YOU want to change your WSU prediction????
Nope. Not one bit. WSU is a one trick pony.
Agree on the one trick pony comment...........but you still fail to acknowledge that this one-trick pony BEAT the UA in Tucson. Our odds are unlikely to get better up in the Palouse. I, for one, am praying that Solomon can get the job done this year. For once in my life I actually agree with Greg Hansen.......we have a group of QB's that all project as 2nd teamers.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So, since we lost to them last year I guess we'll never beat them. You sir are an idiot. last year was called an upset. Ever hear the term? Ask Oregon if you're unsure.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Wazzou had success running the ball last year against us and that's a big reason why.
prh

Post by prh »

By that logic, Oregon has no hope because we beat them 26 last year. Even adjusting for home field advantage still leaves them losing by double digits.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

dmjcat wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
dmjcat wrote: I understand exactly how talented our WR corps is.........What you fail to realize is that we do not have a proven QB to get them the ball. Two of our top 3 QB's couldn't even complete 50% of their passes at the JC level.......and the PAC12 is not a JC league. The presumed starter is a frosh. I doubt our passing game is going to instill fear in our PAC12 opponents. Given the depth/quality of the returning QB's in the conference this year I suspect most defensive coordinators will look at the UA game as a breather.
Say what?! Most coaches, DCs or otherwise, respect the hell out of Rich Rodriguez and what he can do with an offense. Not a one of them, anywhere, is going to consider Arizona's offense a "breather," especially at that point in the season.

Easily the most ridiculous statement I've read on the internet. Ever.

:roll:
So you think that after facing:

Marcus Mariota
Taylor Kelly
Connor Halliday
Sean Mannion
Brett Hundley

The Pac 12 Defensive coordinators will be shaking in their boots at the prospect of facing Anu Solomon???

I know its preseason fella, but put down the crack pipe.
I didn't suggest that any DCs would be shaking in their boots. Pardon me if I don't check every team's schedule to verify, but I will suggest that it is unlikely that any one of those Pac-12 DCs will have faced all five of those QBs prior to facing Anu Solomon much less consecutively prior to facing him. Indeed that would be quite a guantlet, but it's not going to happen that way so your premise doesn't work. I will also suggest that it's not just about the QB. There are 10 other guys out there doing their jobs including skill positions loaded with fast athletic talent.

I think it's foolish to think that any Pac-12 coaching staff would consider any other Pac-12 team a breather. If you listen to the other coaches in the conference and the media pundits when they talk about him, there's a lot of respect for Rich Rodriguez. I recall that Urban Meyer gave Greg Byrne a ringing endorsement of RR's offensive genius prior to hiring him. No one is going to take Arizona's offense lightly, Anu Solomon or otherwise.

A chill unflappable Cat like Anu with his skillset is just the kind of game manager the Cats need to run the offense. Never too high, never too low. Steady Eddie baby. Let the system do the work.

By the way fella, it's not a crack pipe jackass. It's a tall cool drink of Kool-Aid. I've earned it and I'm going to enjoy every sip.
prh

Post by prh »

Using ESPN's rankings because it was easy to find. Both recruits from 2013.
Kenny Hill: #21 DT-QB, ***, 78 overall
Anu Solomon: #23 DT-QB, ***, 76 overall

So...anyone want to explain why Anu can't be great?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Instead of listening to dmjcats who has been to as many practices as Greg Hansen - lets find out what somebody like Jake Fischer thinks of Anu? Anthony Gimino asked Jake what it was like facing Anu on the scout team LY and here was his response via twitter: 'He was a load to handle. He can move and he can put the ball on the money.'
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Also from Jake, " these coaches can coach. They got us into two good bowls and as lways had us prepared. We had more talent the year we went 4-8"

Teams may not fear Anu but they do fear RR and his style of offense. He will jave us putting up points.

He called Castillo a mad scientist and a great X and O guy. He also said he has no doubt we will get to a Rose Bowl in the future.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

Oh don't get me wrong guys, I'm definitely not of this "2nd team QBs" notion. I love the great information brought by everyone, and I do think Anu will be a really good one. Can't wait to see the beginning tonight. I shouldn't have been so vague with the word "anyone" in the last post.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
azgreg wrote:Anybody want to change their Cougar prediction?
No. They BEAT us in Tucson, we lose our starting QB and our best player (Carey) and we are playing them at Wazzu and you think we are a cinch to win??? Your logic escapes me.
You want to stop putting words in my mouth asshole?
You predicted a 9-4 record for the UA....which obviously implies you think UA will beat WSU.

Halliday, by the way, is starting to smoke Rutgers.........do YOU want to change your WSU prediction????
How are you feeling about the Cougs now?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

BearDown89 wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
dmjcat wrote: I understand exactly how talented our WR corps is.........What you fail to realize is that we do not have a proven QB to get them the ball. Two of our top 3 QB's couldn't even complete 50% of their passes at the JC level.......and the PAC12 is not a JC league. The presumed starter is a frosh. I doubt our passing game is going to instill fear in our PAC12 opponents. Given the depth/quality of the returning QB's in the conference this year I suspect most defensive coordinators will look at the UA game as a breather.
Say what?! Most coaches, DCs or otherwise, respect the hell out of Rich Rodriguez and what he can do with an offense. Not a one of them, anywhere, is going to consider Arizona's offense a "breather," especially at that point in the season.

Easily the most ridiculous statement I've read on the internet. Ever.

:roll:

So you think that after facing:

Marcus Mariota
Taylor Kelly
Connor Halliday
Sean Mannion
Brett Hundley

The Pac 12 Defensive coordinators will be shaking in their boots at the prospect of facing Anu Solomon???

I know its preseason fella, but put down the crack pipe.
I didn't suggest that any DCs would be shaking in their boots. Pardon me if I don't check every team's schedule to verify, but I will suggest that it is unlikely that any one of those Pac-12 DCs will have faced all five of those QBs prior to facing Anu Solomon much less consecutively prior to facing him. Indeed that would be quite a guantlet, but it's not going to happen that way so your premise doesn't work. I will also suggest that it's not just about the QB. There are 10 other guys out there doing their jobs including skill positions loaded with fast athletic talent.

I think it's foolish to think that any Pac-12 coaching staff would consider any other Pac-12 team a breather. If you listen to the other coaches in the conference and the media pundits when they talk about him, there's a lot of respect for Rich Rodriguez. I recall that Urban Meyer gave Greg Byrne a ringing endorsement of RR's offensive genius prior to hiring him. No one is going to take Arizona's offense lightly, Anu Solomon or otherwise.

A chill unflappable Cat like Anu with his skillset is just the kind of game manager the Cats need to run the offense. Never too high, never too low. Steady Eddie baby. Let the system do the work.

By the way fella, it's not a crack pipe jackass. It's a tall cool drink of Kool-Aid. I've earned it and I'm going to enjoy every sip.
Can I have some of that Kool-Aid??? It must be gooooood stuff!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azgreg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
azgreg wrote:Anybody want to change their Cougar prediction?
No. They BEAT us in Tucson, we lose our starting QB and our best player (Carey) and we are playing them at Wazzu and you think we are a cinch to win??? Your logic escapes me.
You want to stop putting words in my mouth asshole?

How are you feeling about the Cougs now?
I think their defense has underperformed my pre-season expectations. Their offense can still rack up yards, although their ground game still stinks. At this point I will stick by my preseason prediction.......playing them on the road will not be easy. The Cougs always play well up in the Palouse. People still seem to forget.....they beat us IN TUCSON. I was at the game, they didn't beat us with smoke and mirrors and there were no fluke plays. Unless half the UA defense was hungover from a visit to a Nogales Whorehouse the night before I have to believe that WSU & Halliday is capable of eating alive our drop 8 back and rush 3 defense....just like he did last year. And I have seen nothing to suggest that our pass rush has improved.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

It's funny, but I think you actually believe the drivel you type.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azgreg wrote:It's funny, but I think you actually believe the drivel you type.
Speaking of drivel are you one of the 10 win season prognosticators?? LOL!!
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

dmjcat wrote:The Cougs always play well up in the Palouse.
Rutgers at Washington State 41-38. Rutgers was picked around 13th out of 14 teams in a very bad big ten conference.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The Rutgers game was in Seattle, not Pullman. Wazzu is capable of beating anyone but on paper and after seeing them play, it's hard to predict a loss to them.

They really struggle in the run game and have become very one dimensional. But last year they beat us because we were flat and we couldn't or wouldn't put any pressure on there QB. Most teams just pin there ears and hurry the QB , we sat back and literally gave him all day to throw
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:The Rutgers game was in Seattle, not Pullman. Wazzu is capable of beating anyone but on paper and after seeing them play, it's hard to predict a loss to them.

They really struggle in the run game and have become very one dimensional. But last year they beat us because we were flat and we couldn't or wouldn't put any pressure on there QB. Most teams just pin there ears and hurry the QB , we sat back and literally gave him all day to throw

Yep, spot on. And I haven't seen anything out of our defensive line (which frankly has taken a small step back without Hood) to suggest we will be able to successfully pressure Halliday up in the Palouse.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:Most teams just pin there ears and hurry the QB , we sat back and literally gave him all day to throw

I have seen nothing from RR/Casteel to see if that's ever going to change. Sure, drop 8 back in coverage to cover 5 guys, but eventually someone will get open.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Frankly, i have given up on the 3-3-5. I just hope the defensegets. A few stops and thst the offense is clicking. Last year we gave up 24 a game which isn't bad but it just isnt aggressive enoough for me.

I do see now why DMJ predicts a Wazzu loss. It makes sense but I think they have some real defensive issues and are too one dimensional this year
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azcat49 wrote:Frankly, i have given up on the 3-3-5. I just hope the defensegets. A few stops and thst the offense is clicking. Last year we gave up 24 a game which isn't bad but it just isnt aggressive enoough for me.

I do see now why DMJ predicts a Wazzu loss. It makes sense but I think they have some real defensive issues and are too one dimensional this year
We gave up 24.2 points/game LY. We gave up 35.3 points/game the year before. In the previous few years under Stoops, we gave up 35.4, 22.7, 23.9, 21.3. I don't see much difference points-wise between the two. Both had a bad year, the first for RR, and the last year of Stoops, which fits. But otherwise, it's not like Stoop's defenses were in actuality statistically better. I think we just had a bad game last year, just like we had a good game vs. Oregon last year as well. That stuff happens. I don't expect it to happen again.
wilbur1997

Post by wilbur1997 »

Called it...
wilbur1997 wrote:@Oregon- W. Shock the world game. "We Own Oregon" chanted. Beginning of Helfrich's downfall at Oregon.
... and didn't call it...
wilbur1997 wrote:This will be Oregon's second loss of the season (after their loss to Michigan State).
... and REALLY hoping this comes true:
wilbur1997 wrote:Next day, I win the lottery. Buy a beer truck. Paint it Arizona colors and take it to pre-game tailgates. Free beer for all forum posters (for life).
Bear Down!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Anybody want to change their predictions? dmjcat? Still clinging to 7-5? Won't be favored against any team except Colorado? :lol:
Oh no, New Mexico Bowl here we come.

I'll stick by my heart 9-3, head 8-4 prediction for now, but what do I know? I'm a Kool-Aid drinker!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Welp, I'm one of 2 that went 10+.....

Go Cats and pass the Kool Aid!!!
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Seem to be right on track. I stick with my 10-2 record prediction.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I had 8 and I feel like that is way to low. Cats are rolling like Secretariat in the Belmont
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Feel right on track with 9-3. Anu showed some concussion-like symptoms the first half which concern me.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

catgrad97 wrote:Feel right on track with 9-3.
Me too...

@ UCLA - L
Colorado - W
Washington - W
@ Utah - L
STDU - W
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

dmjcat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Agree on the one trick pony comment...........but you still fail to acknowledge that this one-trick pony BEAT the UA in Tucson. Our odds are unlikely to get better up in the Palouse. I, for one, am praying that Solomon can get the job done this year. For once in my life I actually agree with Greg Hansen.......we have a group of QB's that all project as 2nd teamers.
You nailed it again. Man, I hope we can get to 7 wins and salvage this season.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I was wrong. Hopefully by a lot.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

dc4azcats wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

I just hope we can make any bowl, even New Mexico. We just don't have a QB, we can't run the ball to save our lives, and Scooby isn't living up to expectations. Maybe in a few years we can win eight or nine games.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

azpenguin wrote:
dc4azcats wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

I just hope we can make any bowl, even New Mexico. We just don't have a QB, we can't run the ball to save our lives, and Scooby isn't living up to expectations. Maybe in a few years we can win eight or nine games.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Got to admit that is funny. If he just would have taken a sip from the kool-aid.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Poor kid, dmj. He's in way over his head and can't figure out a way to get out gracefully.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

azcat49 wrote:
dmjcat wrote:I just hope we can make any bowl, even New Mexico. We just don't have a QB, we can't run the ball to save our lives, and Scooby isn't living up to expectations. Maybe in a few years we can win eight or nine games.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Got to admit that is funny. If he just would have taken a sip from the kool-aid.
He probably still believes that Tucson shouldn't build any more freeways. That'll keep those next million transplants out. :roll:
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

bump. at a minimum 38% of us were right.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

This season has been something else .So many close games in the fourth quarter. Winning the Pac-12 South when we were picked fourth. Making a Big bowl.Love it.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Just... just what a year. 787 yards against UNLV. Taking down the Ducks in Autzen. Hill Mary. Skowron beating Washington with a TD run and a game winning FG. Leaving Utah out in the cold. The emergence of Scooby on the national stage. The stadium shaking as the Cats beat ASU to take the Pac-12 South. 10 wins. And now a Fiesta Bowl.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

scumdevils86 wrote:bump. at a minimum 38% of us were right.
What does that mean? Looks like a very, very small % of us were right. Less than 10%, I hope.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy