Grade Arizona's performance vs. UNLV

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

jollything

Grade Arizona's performance vs. UNLV

Post by jollything »

I just want to see what you guys think about the first week.

Offense
QB: A Great debut, a couple overthrows that I would attribute to nerves
RB: B+ TJG and Wilson look like the go to backs, Smith didn't do a whole lot with the carries he was given.
WR: A As good as advertised, albeit vs am inferior opponent.
O-Line: B Solomon had time to do his thing, but he also got absolutely smacked twice

Defense
Secondary: B- After McCall settled down they looked okay. No huge plays given up, but some missed assignments.
LB's: B- Not enough pressure on the QB, Scooby played well though
D-Line: C Not the best showing, with Gilbert out and the first start for Allen in a new system it leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Special teams
K: B+ Aside from the missed field goal Skowron did well
PR: C Neal didn't have room to do much of anything. Blocking needs to improve.
KOR: B- They did alright in a limited role.
qwertyus

Re: Grade Arizona's performance vs. UNLV

Post by qwertyus »

What happened to Reggie Gilbert? If we can shore up our DL in any way, it'll be a massive help against a team looking to shorten the game in UTSA.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I would grade a bit lower, but that's because I think we have a fairly high ceiling. I can't give Anu an A with some accuracy issues, but once those even out, wow. Defensively, we weren't very sharp, especially in the first half.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I'd flip the OP RB and QB ratings. Anu did settle down, got the ball up field well, and bought time when he didn't have it given by the OL, but his early misses were bad. He definitely had an A game from the 2nd quarter on. The RBs were the biggest surprise to me. I get that they won't be running through holes like that all year, or even this week, but I expected this to be a deficiency after losing KaDeem (look at UW struggle early without Sankey) , and they exceeded my expectations and then some. OL played solid B ball...they could be a dominant side and showed it at times.

I think the OP nailed McCall's game...he calmed down and was good from that point forward. Unless we "blitz" 2 (sending one LB/DB in a 3 man front isn't blitzing to me), the defense is designed to plug holes on the line and keep things in front of them. The DL and LBs did that well enough. Scooby is a monster.

Hard to tell what we have in that lopsided of a game, but I took away that Anu is capable, our backs will provide balance, and our D has improved another small step in the cycle of transitioning to the Casteel way. An A- game overall
jollything

Post by jollything »

qwertyus wrote:What happened to Reggie Gilbert? If we can shore up our DL in any way, it'll be a massive help against a team looking to shorten the game in UTSA.
He was hurt towards the end of fall camp and was held out as a precaution against UNLV, from what i understand he could/should be back this week.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

He's listed as the starter on this weeks depth chart.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

azgreg wrote:He's listed as the starter on this weeks depth chart.
I saw that, which was partly why I was concerned. I figured he was listed last week as one too, but I admittedly never checked.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

qwertyus wrote:
azgreg wrote:He's listed as the starter on this weeks depth chart.
I saw that, which was partly why I was concerned. I figured he was listed last week as one too, but I admittedly never checked.
Just checked the UNLV depth chart and he was listed there as well. Go figure.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gilbert is still questionable for UTSA according the college injury report:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnf ... cific%2012