71 Days Coach Donte' Williams

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Harvey Specter

Re: 71 Days Coach Donte' Williams

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Merkin wrote:Last one to leave turn off the lights.

BOOM goes the dynamite.
Yeah, BOOM goes the dynamite. Up in smoke goes any notion of DW's experience and maturity. No wonder 18 year olds relate to him. You seem to be lapping it up too, Chief.
Agreed... that was a very Busch league maneuver on Williams' part.

I assume his resignation met with a heated reaction; he can say what he wants privately, but don't throw an entire program under the bus publicly to get your payback.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Guys.....his Tweet is plain as day.....resources and support. He wasn't getting those from Rich Rod. In case you all didn't know, RR is not a good recruiter. Or talent evaluator. He does not completely support his coaches. He got called on it. It's football.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:Guys.....his Tweet is plain as day.....resources and support. He wasn't getting those from Rich Rod. In case you all didn't know, RR is not a good recruiter. Or talent evaluator. He does not completely support his coaches. He got called on it. It's football.
And this is why DW left Arizona? No resources, No support and it RR fault for not giving him these thing> So why did DW come to Arizona in the first place if those are the reason?
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

chiefzona wrote:Guys.....his Tweet is plain as day.....resources and support. He wasn't getting those from Rich Rod. In case you all didn't know, RR is not a good recruiter. Or talent evaluator. He does not completely support his coaches. He got called on it. It's football.

Chief,

I'll for the most part stay neutral on the RR is not a good recruiter or talent evaluator because like all things in life, one mans garbage is another mans treasure. In other words, the truth lies in interpretation and empirical evidence.

Our low level sub PAC12 caliber roster does validate that perspective to a large degree.

The statement I'm most interested in is "He does not completely support his coaches". What in the hell does that mean exactly without mincing words with code. RR may have some skeletons in the closet so to speak but this is the first time I've heard he does not support the coaches.

Such a statement in and of itself I think would need further clarification from you. With all the shit that is circulating with the program right now the last thing I need to find out is RR does not support his coaches.

Like someone else alluded to in a previous post........all of this family atmosphere BS has run its course with me right along with the stupid ass OKG BS.

The day you stop supporting your very own staff is the day you need to become an insurance salesmen or head back to the TV booth. Which road that is chosen I don't give a ****.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Well I am no RR apologist, but I have never heard anything about a lack of support for his staff. Other (little) people in the AD, yes - but not his assistants.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yeah not buying some if that but then again, Chief doesn't like RR. He was right though on the poor talent level of some of these guys though.

I just don't see some of those coaches, many who have been with RR through 3 programs moving with him if it was so negative.

I do buy the poor evaluator of talent though. Proven by results. Chief if you want to expand more I think we would be all ears
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

You miss the point, which doesn't surprise me. Williams should have moved on with his pie hole shut. You know (or maybe you don't), like a mature adult. Bush league.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Big 12 coaches love to throw Arizona under the bus on the way out. See the stoops bros.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

CalStateTempe wrote:Big 12 coaches love to throw Arizona under the bus on the way out. See the stoops bros.
Failures can be that way. See the Stoops brothers.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
You miss the point, which doesn't surprise me. Williams should have moved on with his pie hole shut. You know (or maybe you don't), like a mature adult. Bush league.

It's not bush league when you know that there are lies, bs, laziness, and negligence going on with the HC. He called out his bs and rightfully so.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Chief got a timeout on scout so he had to go spew some anti RR talk somewhere. Keep on stirring the pot chief.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:Chief got a timeout on scout so he had to go spew some anti RR talk somewhere. Keep on stirring the pot chief.

I didn't get a time out....I left. There is no stirring any pot....it'S already boiled over. RR is done. He'll play out next season and then be gone like we all know and Byrne will have to make another hire if he's still around. Sorry if you don't want to hear the truth.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

MrMeow wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Big 12 coaches love to throw Arizona under the bus on the way out. See the stoops bros.
Failures can be that way. See the Stoops brothers.
That's usually the way it goes... see RichRod after his ouster at UM.

Everyone was "not pulling the rope in the same direction" and people undermined him there. That is gospel truth according to disciples of 3rd & Out... but there are not as many of them here as there used to be.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:Chief got a timeout on scout so he had to go spew some anti RR talk somewhere. Keep on stirring the pot chief.

I didn't get a time out....I left. There is no stirring any pot....it'S already boiled over. RR is done. He'll play out next season and then be gone like we all know and Byrne will have to make another hire if he's still around. Sorry if you don't want to hear the truth.
Are you sure about that Chief? Because it sound like you really, really want the team to failed and be done with it. You do realize their is room for improvement of what we got coming back. Byrnes made right choice of letting RR have another year. That the truth. All you want to say is we have nothing to show for it. I don't care if he succeed or failed, All I want is Improvement from RR and the staff and the players and have a good 2017 football season.
Last edited by cordera89 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Now I am going to grab some popcorn
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

It's not bush league when you know that there are lies, bs, laziness, and negligence going on with the HC. He called out his bs and rightfully so.
Once again, Chief, he should have kept his frustrations to himself. Williams' public venting serves no purpose. Something you may grow to understand once you gain some maturity, yourself.
TheBuffet

Post by TheBuffet »

If Williams and Yates were brought in as the “saviours” of the program why didn’t we let Rich Rod go and give them a promotion.

I wrote this a month ago but never got around to posting:

I have been a Rich Rod supporter up until lately for obvious reasons. My basic issue is if we’re keeping him around because of the incoming recruiting class and Yates and Williams have assembled, then why not offer Yates the job. Of course one might say give it time, however if the program turns around thanks to them, then we run the risk of losing them to another program. Haven’t seen anyone else post this angle, just wonder what others thought. At his point I’m not sure what we have to lose, we appear to be the worst team in the conference.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

Once again, Chief, he should have kept his frustrations to himself. Williams' public venting serves no purpose. Something you may grow to understand once you gain some maturity, yourself.
The whole thing only makes Williams look not professional. When one moves on praise your former employer and only say positive things about them. He will learn at some point.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

In most cases, I would agree. In this case, I do not. I'm mature enough for my liking and for those around me. Thanks for your thoughts.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

cordera89 wrote:Are you sure about that Chief? Because it sound like you really, really want the team to failed and be done with it. You do realize their is room for improvement of what we got coming back. Byrnes made right choice of letting RR have another year. That the truth. All you want to say is we have nothing to show for it. I don't care if he succeed or failed, All I want is Improvement from RR and the staff and the players and have a good 2017 football season.

Damn, I just can't take it any more. Please get this: his name is BYRNE not BYRNES. OK?

Thanks.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

carcassdragger wrote:
cordera89 wrote: Are you sure about that Chief? Because it sound like you really, really want the team to failed and be done with it. You do realize their is room for improvement of what we got coming back. Byrnes made right choice of letting RR have another year. That the truth. All you want to say is we have nothing to show for it. I don't care if he succeed or failed, All I want is Improvement from RR and the staff and the players and have a good 2017 football season.

Damn, I just can't take it any more. Please get this: his name is BYRNE not BYRNES. OK?

Thanks.
I not going to care if miss spell his name wrong with an s at the end. If you got something other to say about whole comment please be my guess, if not don't get work up over his name being spell with an s at end of his name.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

In most cases, I would agree. In this case, I do not. I'm mature enough for my liking and for those around me. Thanks for your thoughts.
I am thinking that this is more of a middle finger to Rich Rod then Arizona it self. That being said, he was still your boss who gave you a raise which then lead to another giant raise. Williams needs to show some respect and just keep his mouth shut via social media, there is no need for it. I bet 100% you wont see the staff coming out and saying he sold recruits on being a family and then took off as soon as he could. His current players really liked him but he still just left them high and dry and took guys with him to Nebraska, which most coaches do not do either. If there were lies etc on behalf of RR, so be it, let it be and move on. The guy just got a 300K raise and will be gone in 3-5 anyways because Riley wont be there that long. Thats why this is such a head scratcher for me, Riley went 9-3 this year. He won 1 game against a team with a winning record, the rest were 6-6 or below. And we know Nebraska runs coaches out if they dont win the NC every 4 years.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Uacat540, It both the middle finger to RR and Arizona. I read a news article that saids (Nebraska football already seeing benefit of DW on the coaching staff). The Last paragraph in that article was talking about us(Arizona) in way that we cause him to leave, This is what it said: Arizona was simply to bad of a team to tell whether or not DW was having an effect or the team was having an effect on his performance? That middle finger is pointing both.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

uacat540 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

In most cases, I would agree. In this case, I do not. I'm mature enough for my liking and for those around me. Thanks for your thoughts.[/quote]

I am thinking that this is more of a middle finger to Rich Rod then Arizona it self. That being said, he was still your boss who gave you a raise which then lead to another giant raise. Williams needs to show some respect and just keep his mouth shut via social media, there is no need for it. I bet 100% you wont see the staff coming out and saying he sold recruits on being a family and then took off as soon as he could. His current players really liked him but he still just left them high and dry and took guys with him to Nebraska, which most coaches do not do either. If there were lies etc on behalf of RR, so be it, let it be and move on. The guy just got a 300K raise and will be gone in 3-5 anyways because Riley wont be there that long. Thats why this is such a head scratcher for me, Riley went 9-3 this year. He won 1 game against a team with a winning record, the rest were 6-6 or below. And we know Nebraska runs coaches out if they dont win the NC every 4 years.[/quote]

The great thing about life is that we all have choices. It might not be choices that you agree with but those were his to make. I look at it this way. He thinks RR if screwing over the Arizona fan base and driving the football program into the ground. The middle finger is to RR from him and the smart ones in the Arizona fan base who are watching him do it. Merry Christmas!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Chicat wrote:Image
Grind that axe, buddy.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

The Arizona fan base is a little crazy as well these days. I wanted RR to be the coach that brought Arizona to the next step but i also know that Arizona is and will never be a football powerhouse. That being said, i dont think its a stretch to have 8-5 type seasons most years and then a 10-11 win season every 4-5 years, I honestly think thats the realistic goal for Arizona. At this point in the program with RR, all we have is undersized guys from Florida who didnt get offers back home so they came out here. The program is pretty much shit and in disarray because RR wanted to stick to the South. I remember reading an article how it was hard to get guys to visit because they were coming from so far away and flights were problematic. Looking back on that, it was his fault for stretching to get those guys, never should have even considered those guys viable. I just wish Williams would have left the dead horse beaten instead of having to take one more swing at it.

Thats why I am all in on Kiffin. He will bang some coeds and piss some people off but we have the folksy guy here now and he hasnt helped. Arizona needs a dominant recruiting head coach who also knows his stuff...I do not know if i can say RR even knows his stuff now with how bad the program is and will be.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

uacat540 wrote:The Arizona fan base is a little crazy as well these days. I wanted RR to be the coach that brought Arizona to the next step but i also know that Arizona is and will never be a football powerhouse. That being said, i dont think its a stretch to have 8-5 type seasons most years and then a 10-11 win season every 4-5 years, I honestly think thats the realistic goal for Arizona. At this point in the program with RR, all we have is undersized guys from Florida who didnt get offers back home so they came out here. The program is pretty much shit and in disarray because RR wanted to stick to the South. I remember reading an article how it was hard to get guys to visit because they were coming from so far away and flights were problematic. Looking back on that, it was his fault for stretching to get those guys, never should have even considered those guys viable. I just wish Williams would have left the dead horse beaten instead of having to take one more swing at it.

Thats why I am all in on Kiffin. He will bang some coeds and piss some people off but we have the folksy guy here now and he hasnt helped. Arizona needs a dominant recruiting head coach who also knows his stuff...I do not know if i can say RR even knows his stuff now with how bad the program is and will be.
Dude, It has shown that Arizona cant sustain or maintain success in football, It has also shown that 2015 and 2016 season were plague by injuries that has cause this fallout Recruiting wise, It pretty much to say how many of his recruits left the program after committing to Arizona? Arizona isn't a well known brand for to attract recruits, Arizona isn't a blue blood, elite nor powerhouse status, Arizona isn't a consisted winner of having a 10, 11,12 win season. That the truth about Arizona.

We will have a good 2017 season and RR and staff will get this team ready.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cordera89 wrote: We will have a good 2017 season and RR and staff will get this team ready.
How should 2017 be any better? No immediate impact recruits coming in. Solomon and Wilson both return but both are glass and probably should retire. Neither Dawkins or Tate can throw accurately.

Best healthy players were seniors and now gone. Sure going to miss Griffey and Grant. Ippolito was forced out for his own good.

Samanjie Grant detailed dissension in the locker room. Donte Williams publicly disrespects the program.

5-7 will be extremely lucky for next year.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:
cordera89 wrote: We will have a good 2017 season and RR and staff will get this team ready.
How should 2017 be any better? No immediate impact recruits coming in. Solomon and Wilson both return but both are glass and probably should retire. Neither Dawkins or Tate can throw accurately.

Best healthy players were seniors and now gone. Sure going to miss Griffey and Grant. Ippolito was forced out for his own good.

Samanjie Grant detailed dissension in the locker room. Donte Williams publicly disrespects the program.

5-7 will be extremely lucky for next year.

Improvement, A healthy team and pray to god we don't suffer a third Riddle season with injuries.

Solomon, Wilson and the other senior need to step and be leaders.

I don't want talk about Ippolito because he did all he could for the program, his teammates and the coaches. It was a tough decision on him and RR.

I can care much less about DW because he didn't jack shit for us and he let off out to dry for Nebraska. As far as our recruiting class goes, If what we bring in. Committing doesn't matter, As long as they sign that what matter.

5-7 would be lucky, if we don't fuck up.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

5-7 should be good enough to get Rich Rod canned.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

WildcatStunner wrote:5-7 should be good enough to get Rich Rod canned.
yup. anything less than a bowl should be grounds for being fired. if you're at a power 5 school in the year 2017 with there being like 40 bowls and you can't go to one 2 seasons in a row (in your 5th and 6th years on the job) you shouldn't have a job anymore. if we are any less than 3-3 at the midway point of the season next year he should be gone at that time.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

No, 5-7 will say we that we made progress on improving. Byrnes isn't telling RR he need to win a certain amount of games to keep his job. Byrne is telling him he need to make improvement.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

oh lord
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
yup. anything less than a bowl should be grounds for being fired. if you're at a power 5 school in the year 2017 with there being like 40 bowls and you can't go to one 2 seasons in a row (in your 5th and 6th years on the job) you shouldn't have a job anymore. if we are any less than 3-3 at the midway point of the season next year he should be gone at that time.
You cant expect a team to come out with unrealistic result after finish 3-9 season. All your saying is, You him and the team to failed and be done with it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

5-7 will lose the casual fan, which Byrne cannot accept.

Us hardcore fans will follow no matter what, I still watch every game, but the UA AD gets no money from me.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
You cant expect a team to come out with unrealistic result after finish 3-9 season. All your saying is, You him and the team to failed and be done with it.
he has failed to truly improve this program. in fact it's getting worse. if it shows no signs of improvement by the middle of next season, he should be gone.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
he has failed to truly improve this program. in fact it's getting worse. if it shows no signs of improvement by the middle of next season, he should be gone.
Expect a low expectation next season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

cordera89 wrote:
No, 5-7 will say we that we made progress on improving. Byrnes isn't telling RR he need to win a certain amount of games to keep his job. Byrne is telling him he need to make improvement.
That's like stabbing someone 10 times and stitching up 7 of the stab wounds.

It's not progress, it's undoing some of the damage he did.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Cordera-what is with you constantly justifying 2 shit seasons by injuries. I can honestly think of 2 injuries due to freak accidents-Scooby and JJ Taylor. They rest are undersized guys going against true D1 teams. You seem to use injuries as an excuse for RR when its not the whole picture. Injuries happened to a lot of undersized guys that should be back ups not starters. Look at our D-Line and tell me where its getting better? No injuries really but still undersized by 40 pounds on average. QB? Cant count to BB to come in and throw 30 TD's and 5 INTS, he is not that player. RB? JJ Taylor will be good and hopefully Tilford sticks. Arizona was a 5-7 team with the recruiting class it could have had. Now its an 4-8 type team and no way RR stays. Attendance is the biggest pressure point for Byrne and its going to suck.

Also-I never said Arizona is a power house but i did say Arizona should be able to have 8-5 type seasons more often then not. Sprinkle in a 10 Win season here and there, thats not a power/dominant program, thats a top 50 program, of which Arizona is.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

uacat540 wrote:Cordera-what is with you constantly justifying 2 shit seasons by injuries. I can honestly think of 2 injuries due to freak accidents-Scooby and JJ Taylor. They rest are undersized guys going against true D1 teams. You seem to use injuries as an excuse for RR when its not the whole picture. Injuries happened to a lot of undersized guys that should be back ups not starters. Look at our D-Line and tell me where its getting better? No injuries really but still undersized by 40 pounds on average. QB? Cant count to BB to come in and throw 30 TD's and 5 INTS, he is not that player. RB? JJ Taylor will be good and hopefully Tilford sticks. Arizona was a 5-7 team with the recruiting class it could have had. Now its an 4-8 type team and no way RR stays. Attendance is the biggest pressure point for Byrne and its going to suck.

Also-I never said Arizona is a power house but i did say Arizona should be able to have 8-5 type seasons more often then not. Sprinkle in a 10 Win season here and there, thats not a power/dominant program, thats a top 50 program, of which Arizona is.
I don't care about the lacked of size of our team. You and the others can make that argument on your own. I'm not making that an excuse on why RR should lose his fucking job. RR recruited his guys and taking the blame for it. I expect him and his staff to do three thing? Improve from the 3-9 season and improve recruiting and have a healthy team. You need to stop dick riding DW to say Arizona was a 5-7 team based on DW recruiting result if he stay and since DW left, now it Arizona a 4-8 team and the recruiting class is a joke now. But please do tell me did these recruits sign their letter of intent to Arizona yet? because last I check we still have December, January and February 1st (National Signing Day Start) to still go out and recruit and see who will sign with Arizona. My prediction is still 5,6 wins and still keep his job until 18 season with no guarantee of contract extension, while your prediction is RR losing his job.

All I said is the truth that Arizona isn't a powerhouse, elite or blue blood nor cant attract top level recruits and cant win 10 or more game on consisted basic. I didn't say you said their were those.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
6-6 with some dogshit money-losing bowl should get him fired. That means another losing season in conference... 22-32 career conference record AT BEST.

Now... Are you paying attention, Cordera? Read this next line:

That conference winning % is worse than EVERY FB coach Arizona has had in the PAC era EXCEPT FOR John Mackovic. That's right... worse than Larry Smith, Dick Tomey, & EVEN MIKE STOOPS.

PAC Winning %: Larry Smith 0.588 ... Dick Tomey 0.550.... Mike Stoops 0.415... Rich Rod 0.407 (assumes 4-5 in 2017)

We are paying him considerably more competitively, and have invested more in the program than under any other regime. And for that we are getting worse results than any coach we have had except one dumpster fire. Stop the "we are not an elite program" nonsense in trying to defend him... we have essentially ALWAYS better than we have been under him.

Not good enough. Keeping him through early '18 is as good as paying him a bonus because it guarantees him the last of his retention money.

If he can fall all the way from 10-4 to 3-9 in 2 seasons, he can bounce back up to 7-5 in one if he wants an even fatter payday. For the Kool-Aid brigade that says we are in fine shape & blames all our problems on a rash of injuries... our program with healthy players ought to improve considerably and go 7-5 in their sleep, right?

If I was king he'd need to go 8-4 to feel comfortable... I want him to "get comfortable being uncomfortable".

What do people think season ticket sales will do if we go 6-6 next year? Yeah - that matters.
Sid

Post by Sid »

I'm curious to see if we can find a couple of defensive diamonds pillaging the JC's? A couple of guys out of nowhere that can consistently get to the QB would be a pleasant change. I see we're going in that direction, just hope we can land a couple.
uacat540

Post by uacat540 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
What do people think season ticket sales will do if we go 6-6 next year? Yeah - that matters.
Byrne already had to resort to the taco bell give away for tickets this year, maybe next year it will be Taco Bell and Beyond bread buy a drink get a ticket to an Arizona football game?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sid wrote:I'm curious to see if we can find a couple of defensive diamonds pillaging the JC's?
I was thinking the same thing, some immediate man size players from JC since HS kids near a year to bulk up.

Then I realized we were all ripping Todd Graham for going the JC route instead of developing a program.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:
Sid wrote:I'm curious to see if we can find a couple of defensive diamonds pillaging the JC's?
I was thinking the same thing, some immediate man size players from JC since HS kids near a year to bulk up.

Then I realized we were all ripping Todd Graham for going the JC route instead of developing a program.
My thing with Graham was how hard he hit the JCs at the beginning. He took a ton of JC guys, and it paid off at first. They're reaping what they've sown, though, now. They went into the year with nothing but question marks at QB and a horribly inexperienced O-line, and holes all over the defense. Arizona's problem was that they just didn't recruit well (and had a few bad breaks, but the recruiting issue took away the margin for error.) You take a few JCs to plug immediate holes but you can't blow up your future roster for a ton of them.

That's the fun thing about recruiting, though... you never know if you did well or not until a few years later. It's just such a crapshoot.