2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by ASUHATER! »

I don't see us becoming Kansas bad, but I can see us being a program that struggles to just get bowl eligible for the next 3-4 years. Like spend 2016-2019 as a 3-6 win team trying to rebuild. Oh well, the first 5 years of my fandom Arizona was 2-10, 3-8, 3-8, 6-6 and 5-7. So nothing I'm not used to.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Drew Dixon is now a 4* ATH

Lose one add one
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

But he should have walked on right Chief LOL
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

What site did he get 4 stars from? az49....have you seen his offer list? He runs a 4.9 and has a terrible Sparq rating. I have seen him make a couple of real good catches this season but he doesn't make my motor rev. I would be like the rest of the PAC 12 in this case and not have offered him. However, I am happy for him and wish him well in the future.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

chiefzona wrote:What site did he get 4 stars from?
Rivals. Surprised you didn't know that two days ago.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:
I don't follow Rivals or Scout of the recruiting sites. They are just money grabbers.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I don't follow Rivals or Scout of the recruiting sites. They are just money grabbers.
because you know SoOoOoOo much more.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Chicat wrote:
because you know SoOoOoOo much more.

Nope. I don't know anything about football. I'm a basketball guy.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:

I hate the word "commit". Commit seeks other options?

Seems like an oxymoron.

Well, I'll go with you to the dance, until someone better asks me, but we're not going steady!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

There might be more movement as the rumor of some other coaches leaving/fired looms.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

chiefzona wrote:There might be more movement as the rumor of some other coaches leaving/fired looms.
If it rhymes with Barley Bagel, then it is a move that should have been done a long time ago and much deserved.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

gronk4heisman wrote:
chiefzona wrote:There might be more movement as the rumor of some other coaches leaving/fired looms.
If it rhymes with Barley Bagel, then it is a move that should have been done a long time ago and much deserved.

Nice call. He should've never been hired. Waste of money and time.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

http://www.scout.com/player/195120-antjuan-simmons" target="_blank

Keep an eye on this Ohio State De-Commit. Visiting this weekend.
Last edited by catinfl on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:

Wasn't he hired just to get some hot recruit out of Chapparel? Don't know if it ever panned out or not, but his work with special teams is Jeff Hammershmidt worthy.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:

Wasn't he hired just to get some hot recruit out of Chapparel? Don't know if it ever panned out or not, but his work with special teams is Jeff Hammershmidt worthy.
Davonte Neal or Keenen walker? Got them both and they aren't doing shit for us. We should've hired the Scottsdale saguaro coach if any phx high school. Could you imagine Christian Kirk in Tucson
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Sounds like a lot of guys in town this weekend. Let''S hope playing time lures some of them our way.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

whatisee wrote:Sounds like a lot of guys in town this weekend. Let''S hope playing time lures some of them our way.
Playing Time pitch isn't a guarantee. The staff has to be completely honest with the recruit on early playing time in case we suffer another mass of injury to the starting position.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89 wrote:
whatisee wrote:Sounds like a lot of guys in town this weekend. Let''S hope playing time lures some of them our way.
Playing Time pitch isn't a guarantee. The staff has to be completely honest with the recruit on early playing time in case we suffer another mass of injury to the starting position.
We have mid-major talent at nearly every position. Any good recruit should be told they will most likely play if they get their body right and can master the playbook, and could even have the opportunity to win starting roles in camp.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Very few true freshman will be ready to contribute. Takes a year to bulk up and learn the playbook. Even Anu had to redshirt, while Denker and his noodle arm played, and won.

But like Chi said, if they can do it, they can play. Outside of the OL and DL though. Any true freshmen play at those positions lately?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
We have mid-major talent at nearly every position. Any good recruit should be told they will most likely play if they get their body right and can master the playbook, and could even have the opportunity to win starting roles in camp.
Immediate playing time at UA? Heckuva prospect. Kinda like having first dibs on being Hilary's lover.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Immediate playing time at UA? Heckuva prospect. Kinda like having first dibs on being Hilary's lover.
Then you better hope they sign with Arizona.
Last edited by cordera89 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

cordera89 wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Then your better hope they sign with Arizona.
Huh?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So how does the Josh Allen Situation play out. He signed a LOI last year but didn't qualify. Did we move on from him is he is still technically a wildcat if he pays somewhere else does he have to sit out a year?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrMeow wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
MrMeow wrote:Immediate playing time at UA? Heckuva prospect. Kinda like having first dibs on being Hilary's lover.
Then your better hope they sign with Arizona.
Huh?
I've got nothing.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

3goggles wrote:So how does the Josh Allen Situation play out. He signed a LOI last year but didn't qualify. Did we move on from him is he is still technically a wildcat if he pays somewhere else does he have to sit out a year?

I've been wondering the same thing. Last I heard he was at Eastern Arizona JC working on getting eligible. The guy is a flake however and he had a year prior to that to get eligible and didn't. I kind of wrote him off in my mind but we sure could use him, even if its just for a year.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

3goggles wrote:So how does the Josh Allen Situation play out. He signed a LOI last year but didn't qualify. Did we move on from him is he is still technically a wildcat if he pays somewhere else does he have to sit out a year?

He's not a Wildcat. His production has significantly dropped this year at LBCC.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Devonte Neal Redux?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With RichRod's job on the line, I wonder if he will not redshirt Burmeister with Solomon being glass and Tate and Dawkins unable to throw.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote:With RichRod's job on the line, I wonder if he will not redshirt Burmeister with Solomon being glass and Tate and Dawkins unable to throw.
I'm sure all of the voluntary work this off season and spring ball will be working with Dawkins and his passing game. If he can develop into a a slight passing threat, dude will be unstoppable. It just has to be enough to keep the other teams honest, not Peyton Manning.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat wrote:
Merkin wrote:With RichRod's job on the line, I wonder if he will not redshirt Burmeister with Solomon being glass and Tate and Dawkins unable to throw.
I'm sure all of the voluntary work this off season and spring ball will be working with Dawkins and his passing game. If he can develop into a a slight passing threat, dude will be unstoppable. It just has to be enough to keep the other teams honest, not Peyton Manning.

If they can get him to look to the secondary receivers, and especially not tuck and run too soon that will certainly say a lot about Rich Rod and Rod Smith in developing QBs.

And of course avoid injuries, which seems to affect every UA QB due to the need to have them run when called upon.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

wyo-cat wrote:
There hasn't been a consistently accurate passer around here since Frank Scelfo was shown the door (Matt Scott started with Scelfo). Could Rod Smith have anything to do with this drought ? More drinking buddy dead weight? Talk about a lack of player development.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:

Dude isn't even on the roster for LBCC this year. Pretty sure he used up all his eligibility.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

My opinion on Braxton is that he is going to be a helluva quarterback, but true freshman QB's aren't usually guys that can come in and play at a high level. (Unless your Jalen Hurts, but I'm pretty sure I could sit back there and throw to Bama WR's behind that OL and be a pretty good QB). Anu was supposed to come in and beat Denker, but it didn't happen as a freshman because there is a lot to learn. Now Burmeister is coming in the Spring so that certainly does help him a bit, but I'm skeptical. I think Tate will be better with a year under his belt, I think Dawkins has a lot of room to improve with his throwing ability, but damn can he run, and honestly I still don't think we've seen the last of Anu. In a perfect world Burmeister comes in and starts and is a starter for four years, but I think he will red-shirt.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think Anu is done. I also think Tate is handed the keys by next year. Just my 2cents
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Article on all of the commits that are looking around

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... n-phillips" target="_blank
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Dude isn't even on the roster for LBCC this year. Pretty sure he used up all his eligibility.

He played this year. 30 tackles. 12 TFL. 2.5 sacks.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

we still need him
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:
catinfl wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

He played this year. 30 tackles. 12 TFL. 2.5 sacks.
Better stats than Matt Leo, but yeah I'd pass
cordera89

Arizona football recruiting: Notre Dame wide receiver Corey

Post by cordera89 »

Hope we get him, Need size in the WR core.

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... --wildcats" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AZ Daily Star Decommitment story:

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 3d752.html" target="_blank
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dmjcat wrote:AZ Daily Star Decommitment story:

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 3d752.html" target="_blank
"Other schools quick to poach Arizona Wildcats recruits following 3-9 season"

Typo on the Headline... it Should read: "Other schools quick to poach Arizona Wildcats recruits following AD's Failure to Give Rodriguez Deserved Raise & Extension"
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Another decommit...........Mcneal flips to Oregon

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ng-taggart" target="_blank
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

It nothing new. These are Williams recruits after all and they were only committed to him not the school. The staff will replace those that decommitted.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

cordera89 wrote:It nothing new. These are Williams recruits after all and they were only committed to him not the school. The staff will replace those that decommitted.
Wrong again cordera89 that was Jahmile Addae recruits not Donte!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

3goggles wrote:
cordera89 wrote:It nothing new. These are Williams recruits after all and they were only committed to him not the school. The staff will replace those that decommitted.
Wrong again cordera89 that was Jahmile Addae recruits not Donte!
Hmmm oh well it don't matter, It not Addae for his Decommitted.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Chicat wrote:
Just to clarify your post: Sione Taufahema verbally committed to Arizona. http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recruiting ... ly-commits" target="_blank
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

I might be the exception, but I never thought 2017 class was outstanding before the decommits. It was decent, better than last couple years, but not leaps better. I never bought into RR's "best class in UA history" rhetoric. How would he know anyway... Hyperbole to sell fans hope.

Every class has turnover. But this class is heading into trouble. Could see 3-4 more decommits. Still will be a decent class. But normal for RR, I'm guessing ranked low to mid 30's. Class still has many RR traditional recruits that hold Non-Power five or lower end power five offers.