2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UALoco

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by UALoco »

Interesting stats from Trent Dilfer on Sunday NFL Countdown today..."Of the 44 ProBowlers, 12 were zero-star recruits coming out of high school, 7 were 2-star recruits, 37 of the 44 ProBowlers were 3-star or less recruits..." I am not a "stars don't matter" guy but those numbers are really interesting. Here is to wishing RR and his staff find some of those "ProBowlers-in-training," lord knows we ain't gonna get the 5 star men.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That's 56 out of how many 0-3 star guys?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It doesn't really matter as he can't develop those players either. How many all PAC players has he had from his classes?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Young men develop at different ages. A 5* recruit will have developed early and a 2-3* develops later and is more mentally mature. A lot of guys who have great NFL careers develop later and have a better mind set for success. The guys that develop later have to succeed on proper technique and form to make it, then when they mature physically - look out. They weren't getting by on being bigger earlier than everyone else.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cats beat out a directional school.

chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

New low in recruiting. I swear that Rich Rod is doing this on purpose.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Merkin wrote:Cats beat out a directional school.

That is the first 0 star I have seen on Rivals... according to them, he did not have any other offers. He's from Florida, so it is hard to imagine him not getting much exposure.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... leges=show" target="_blank

That said, I am happy for the kid that he is going to get a college scholarship and play college football. Congrats to him...
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Harvey Specter wrote:

That is the first 0 star I have seen on Rivals... according to them, he did not have any other offers. He's from Florida, so it is hard to imagine him not getting much exposure.

That said, I am happy for the kid that he is going to get a college scholarship and play college football. Congrats to him...

Oh come on. He had three other offers from nobody important. Old Dominion, Northern Illinois and someone else. He's a 183lb outside linebacker. We can only hope he's got blazing speed and they have another position in mind for him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He was committed to South Alabama, and didn't make any trips unofficial or official to Arizona. According to Scheer, he will be in town in 2 weeks to start classes.

Power 5 conference school? Why not! Travel on jets instead of buses.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Oh come on. He had three other offers from nobody important. Old Dominion, Northern Illinois and someone else. He's a 183lb outside linebacker. We can only hope he's got blazing speed and they have another position in mind for him.
You are right... my bad. I just looked at it again and realized I interpreted it wrong.

My apologies.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

OKG
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

"no star Jose"
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

So who take credit for Jose? Is this Jahmile Addae's recruit? So is addae still with the safeties and yates with the corners?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Best class ever. Damn I need to get my tickets soon. Holy shit, what a class. Beating out OSU.......wait.....is that ODU? Is that Old Dominion. OMG LOL LOL LOL LOL. Now we need Cordero for some fun
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azcat49 wrote:Best class ever. Damn I need to get my tickets soon. Holy shit, what a class. Beating out OSU.......wait.....is that ODU? Is that Old Dominion. OMG LOL LOL LOL LOL. Now we need Cordero for some fun
Step away from the keyboard
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Best class ever. Damn I need to get my tickets soon. Holy shit, what a class. Beating out OSU.......wait.....is that ODU? Is that Old Dominion. OMG LOL LOL LOL LOL. Now we need Cordero for some fun
Actually you might need to... I get wanting to be positive, but the degree to which you and catinfl try to put a positive spin on recruiting and the guys we sign is worthy of warranting a drug test.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

whatisee wrote:
Hey what you don't see, RR sucks and right now he has no credibility in inking a no star 183 pound LB

This is just another body to fill a uniform. He recruits like Ben Lindsey. Remember him. Lute Didn't want his recruit and no other power 5 team wants this guy.i am sure no 9ne watches FLORIDA football and this guy was just missed. No doubt the Gators, Noles and the canes will be offeri.g in mere days
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

Harvey Specter wrote:
whatisee wrote:
Actually you might need to... I get wanting to be positive, but the degree to which you and catinfl try to put a positive spin on recruiting and the guys we sign is worthy of warranting a drug test.

Alright, well it was either we lose an early enrollee spot. (the one Brand was supposed to take) or take a kid like this. A kid with a 6'3 frame, he's thin and by no means a plan A, but he had 136 tackles in a high division in Florida. I'm not gonna sit here and spin this in any way, he's a plan B, but it was either lose a spot or take a kid who has a good frame and has a chance to add a lot of weight who can also enroll early. I tend to stay positive, it is a lot more fun than those who sit here and scream the sky is falling.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It isn't falling, it has toppled down. We were 1 and freaking 8 people. A 183 pound backer will be ready to play in what, 2 years, if he doesn't lose a Ton of speed. So who cares if he was an early enrollee other than RR.

It was he who was selling hope in the best class ever. That help was right around the corner. Year 6 and we are getting zero star recruits now. Where is the tweet about we do our own evals? On to the next?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azcat49 wrote:It isn't falling, it has toppled down. We were 1 and freaking 8 people. A 183 pound backer will be ready to play in what, 2 years, if he doesn't lose a Ton of speed. So who cares if he was an early enrollee other than RR.

It was he who was selling hope in the best class ever. That help was right around the corner. Year 6 and we are getting zero star recruits now. Where is the tweet about we do our own evals? On to the next?
It's Christmas, and you you come here to talk shit about 17 year old kids? You should feel good about yourself. Remember parents and kids who want to come to the U of A love reading these fan sites, and your daily bullshit diatribe. But continue complaining about the very thing you have a hand in damaging.

Merry Christmas
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You are to funny...and stupid. I am not talking about the kid. I am talking about RR. Seems only the top kids and their parents read this board as the 2 star and below accept his offers

And there is no sparing the rod, he makes 3m a year and he paid to recruit better than this.

I feel great about my post because it's accurate. RR is a joke. Pass another present please
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

azcat49 wrote:You are to funny...and stupid. I am not talking about the kid. I am talking about RR. Seems only the top kids and their parents read this board as the 2 star and below accept his offers

And there is no sparing the rod, he makes 3m a year and he paid to recruit better than this.

I feel great about my post because it's accurate. RR is a joke. Pass another present please
Stupid huh? It was nice trying to have a conversation with you, but I can see you're just a fucking idiot.

You're not only talking about RR when you talk about all these shitty kids he's recruited, but your also talking about the kids themselves. You understand this right?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hey its great all these non power 5 kids will get a chance to play big time football. Of course in a few years they will be playing for a different coach and most will be recruited over.

Keep supporting blindly though as I am sure we will miraculously change as RR is do great at developing players as well (so many all conference guys).

No one was more of a RR supporter than I over the years. Just ask Chief. It pains me to say he was right. I don't think he can dig out of this and I know he can't signing kids who won't be ready for a couple years at best
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

catinfl wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
whatisee wrote:

Alright, well it was either we lose an early enrollee spot. (the one Brand was supposed to take) or take a kid like this. A kid with a 6'3 frame, he's thin and by no means a plan A, but he had 136 tackles in a high division in Florida. I'm not gonna sit here and spin this in any way, he's a plan B, but it was either lose a spot or take a kid who has a good frame and has a chance to add a lot of weight who can also enroll early. I tend to stay positive, it is a lot more fun than those who sit here and scream the sky is falling.
If this is true, would appear to be pointless to deride the signing?!! I'll take a prospect, even with no stars, as opposed to lose a spot! That's a lot of tackles for 11 games!!
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

UALoco wrote:Interesting stats from Trent Dilfer on Sunday NFL Countdown today..."Of the 44 ProBowlers, 12 were zero-star recruits coming out of high school, 7 were 2-star recruits, 37 of the 44 ProBowlers were 3-star or less recruits..." I am not a "stars don't matter" guy but those numbers are really interesting. Here is to wishing RR and his staff find some of those "ProBowlers-in-training," lord knows we ain't gonna get the 5 star men.
Seems the Wildcats are due to hit with these stats in mind!! Lol!!
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

chiefzona wrote:New low in recruiting. I swear that Rich Rod is doing this on purpose.
It's irresponsible
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

chiefzona wrote:New low in recruiting. I swear that Rich Rod is doing this on purpose.
Apparently you don't know as much about the football team as you thought you did
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

whatisee wrote:
Apparently you don't know as much about the football team as you thought you did

I've always been right around the mark with this program. It drives the pundits mad. They get paid to shovel the bullshit to the idiots who pay for it. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ramcat wrote:
catinfl wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
whatisee wrote:

If this is true, would appear to be pointless to deride the signing?!! I'll take a prospect, even with no stars, as opposed to lose a spot! That's a lot of tackles for 11 games!!
You don't lose a spot as you can always roll a player up or back depending on spots avaiable. Granted mid year guys are tough to find but for those that are, you are hoping they can contribute sooner rather than later.

Maybe this guy can surprise. He does have nice production but I am past the we do our own evaluations and stars don't matter. Most of the guys he has brought on have not developed. In fact less then 50% of his recruited classes (first 3 I think) are still here and few have contributed.

He was telling us that this will be the best AZ class ever. I don't think it gets there. While schools like Maryland and Oregon flip our guys we are busy stealing Old Dominion and South Alabama guys.
catinfl

Post by catinfl »

chiefzona wrote:
whatisee wrote:

I've always been right around the mark with this program. It drives the pundits mad. They get paid to shovel the bullshit to the idiots who pay for it. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lmao chief. Never change <3
Footballjunkie

Post by Footballjunkie »

At my job when someone minimally qualified gets a job, we always ask "Who is he related to?"
Could he be the cousin or nephew of one of the new defensive staff? RR? Boone? :)

I'm pulling for the guy to get a scholarship but would have preferred someone local to prevent any homesickness.
If he doesn't at least make Special Teams in his first year, or have a hot mom, sister or GF, its a disappointment.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

So let me get this right.

We traveled about as far as we could to find a recruit that that is undersized, and has no stars and zero major or mid-major school interest.

Out of the thousands of football players in the state of Texas alone not one of them were available to be signed by us.

This has got to be the football equivalent of the twilight zone. Chief has a point, I'm not sure you could actually recruit this poorly by accident.

Absolutely nothing against the young man.
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Not sure of the accuracy of this but indicating 3 stars?

http://www.recruitingnewsguru.com/arizo ... e-ramirez/" target="_blank
ramcat

Post by ramcat »

A little more on Ramirez. Appears his weight is up over 200 lbs. Additionally, this service shows some pretty solid ratings on his play.

http://bigcountypreps.com/181/5-availab ... prospects/" target="_blank

Played center on bball team, and shows weight to 209lbs, which would think would be more recent, since basketball within the last couple of months.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jose-ra ... efault.htm" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Film is good, production is good. Have to wonder how every FBS school in Florida passed and how he received no stars?

Scary thought in that we have no true MLB on the roster right now and none committed that I know of. I guess John Kenny could move inside or maybe Neves?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azcat49 wrote:Film is good, production is good. Have to wonder how every FBS school in Florida passed and how he received no stars?

Scary thought in that we have no true MLB on the roster right now and none committed that I know of. I guess John Kenny could move inside or maybe Neves?
We actually have two committed, Josh Brown and now Colin Schooler.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Film is good, production is good. Have to wonder how every FBS school in Florida passed and how he received no stars?

We actually have two committed, Josh Brown and now Colin Schooler.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yes, I do like Schooler. Forgot about Brown. Hopi g we can hold on to him.

Need that OT that is looking at us and LSU and Oklahoma. Now that would really help
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

He'll play at LB. He comes from a good athletic family. I know them well. Chief approved.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Current Commits

5 LB's
3 DL
4 Safety's
2 CB's
2 OL
3 ATH
2 WR
2 TE
2 QB's

25 Total

#25 Class on Scout, #29 Scout, #18 Rivals, #31 ESPN for a 25.75 Average

I'm guessing here, but i believe we still have 3 spots to fill
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:Current Commits

5 LB's
3 DL
4 Safety's
2 CB's
2 OL
3 ATH
2 WR
2 TE
2 QB's

25 Total

Are any of those 3 committed athletes projected to play RB?

I hope this class finishes ranked where it is currently... that would be positive.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

5 LB's
3 DL
4 Safety's
2 CB's
2 OL
3 ATH
2 WR
2 TE
2 QB's

25 Total

Any of those D lineman over 247 lbs?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:

5 LB's
3 DL
4 Safety's
2 CB's
2 OL
3 ATH
2 WR
2 TE
2 QB's

25 Total

The 3 DL are listed as 6'3 260, 6'3 285 and 6'3 310
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azgreg wrote:

5 LB's
3 DL
4 Safety's
2 CB's
2 OL
3 ATH
2 WR
2 TE
2 QB's

25 Total

I am more excited about the smaller 2... when a 300 lber from CA gets zero interest from bigger schools, that gives me cause for concern.

Hopefully he surprises us all!
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azgreg wrote:

5 LB's
3 DL
4 Safety's
2 CB's
2 OL
3 ATH
2 WR
2 TE
2 QB's

25 Total

Which really doesn't matter when the Arizona offense is fast-paced. It wears those big guys out faster than the smaller ones and then you need depth and quick subs to offset it.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
azgreg wrote:

5 LB's
3 DL
4 Safety's
2 CB's
2 OL
3 ATH
2 WR
2 TE
2 QB's

25 Total

Which really doesn't matter when the Arizona offense is fast-paced. It wears those big guys out faster than the smaller ones and then you need depth and quick subs to offset it.
Chief, why does it matter to our DLs that Arizona's offense is fast paced and "wears those big guys our faster..."?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Offense isn't on the field as long so the defense is back out much faster
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
azgreg wrote:

5 LB's
3 DL
4 Safety's
2 CB's
2 OL
3 ATH
2 WR
2 TE
2 QB's

25 Total

The 260 lb DT is recovering from a torn knee meniscus
The 285 lb guy is rumored to be close to decommitting.........and he just received an offer from Michigan State
The 300 lb guy is a 2 star JUCO who had Zero offers from Power 5 schools other than the UA

and our sole Redshirt DT spent the entire year rehabbing a badly broken leg.

I think that RRod needs to keep on recruiting additional DT's............we may be even thinner at that position in 2017 than we were in 2016.