2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by azgreg »

MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:i know that employees get like 90% off tuition at the UA.
For employees and their spouses, tuition is almost free. It's better than a 90% discount. For dependents, it's 75% discount.

I paid next to nothing for my degree at Arizona.
Did you get one?
He got a degree in Calcium Anthropology. The study of milkmen.
Sid

Post by Sid »

azgreg wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
wyo-cat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:i know that employees get like 90% off tuition at the UA.
For employees and their spouses, tuition is almost free. It's better than a 90% discount. For dependents, it's 75% discount.

I paid next to nothing for my degree at Arizona.
Did you get one?
He got a degree in Calcium Anthropology. The study of milkmen.
Speaking of degrees....the head coach of my kids flag football team (no degree) by the way, is still smart enough to not run JJ up the gut on 4th & short at the goal line with last years O-Line. I think we have like 5-6 different plays to get the fastest kid on the team in space for similar situations.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:$3,400 for the year, if he's here that long. Someone please tell me the real reason RichRod put his kid on scholarship.

Rita.
That's a nice clue, Chief, but a little amplification would be appreciated. I know Rita is blonde but .....
Ask Greg Hansen once RR leaves.

Actually I was hoping Hansen would leave. I know, that's probably a pipe dream. If he did you'd have to find a new basement to live in. All that aside its not that unusual for coaches to give their kids scholarships. Frank Kush gave his son Danny a scholarship to place kick and although he was effective he wasn't tremendous at it. I always thought they could have found someone better. In the 1980s ASU's quarterback coach wrangled a scholarship for his son and that kid QB'd the scout team for four years.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

UNC is the leader in the clubhouse. Arizona is "intriguing." Not much to hang your hat on there.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
MrMeow wrote:$3,400 for the year, if he's here that long. Someone please tell me the real reason RichRod put his kid on scholarship.

Rita.
That's a nice clue, Chief, but a little amplification would be appreciated. I know Rita is blonde but .....
Ask Greg Hansen once RR leaves.

Actually I was hoping Hansen would leave. I know, that's probably a pipe dream. If he did you'd have to find a new basement to live in. All that aside its not that unusual for coaches to give their kids scholarships. Frank Kush gave his son Danny a scholarship to place kick and although he was effective he wasn't tremendous at it. I always thought they could have found someone better. In the 1980s ASU's quarterback coach wrangled a scholarship for his son and that kid QB'd the scout team for four years.

Uncle Greg isn't leaving, yet. He'll be retiring in Utah when he does.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BearDown89 wrote:UNC is the leader in the clubhouse. Arizona is "intriguing." Not much to hang your hat on there.
He likes UNC because "They have a winning culture"?

Kind of surprised Orgeron let him have a full release, that may haunt him if he goes SEC.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:UNC is the leader in the clubhouse. Arizona is "intriguing." Not much to hang your hat on there.

Kind of surprised Orgeron let him have a full release, that may haunt him if he goes SEC.
Well UNC has no returning QB and they are in need of QB unlike Us and Texas.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Arizona is need of a QB as well.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And Cats have quite the running attack if they can stay healthy, with an experienced OL. Don't recall the QBs wowing anyone in spring ball.

Does he want to go out west though?
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:And Cats have quite the running attack if they can stay healthy, with an experienced OL. Don't recall the QBs wowing anyone in spring ball.

Does he want to go out west though?

I don't think location is an issue. Starting and offensive fit are his major concerns. Kid has a gun and can run. I think he wants to be a star and get into the draft next year.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Is that excuse because we lost Anu Solomon and have no confidence in Brandon Dawkins as the starting QB.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

cordera89 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Is that excuse because we lost Anu Solomon and have no confidence in Brandon Dawkins as the starting QB.

No, its because by mid-season both Dawkins and Tate are going to be injured and can't play.

Neither one can pass worth a shit and will get the crap beat out of them because running is their real only option. Shortly after that we'll be playing our 3rd stringers and walk-ons which as you well know shouldn't even be playing D-1 football to begin with.

Rich Rods kid will be nothing more than a signal relay player and clip board holder.

The LSU kid would likely walk in here and with in a month relegate Dawkins and Tate to the sidelines. Dawkins is barely serviceable as a QB and Tate will never master the position.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Gladiator Cat, like I said it excuse because our best QB transfers and their a lack of Confidence in Dawkins and Others QBs. To say that Dawkins and Tate will get hurt by mid season because RR doesn't have a real threat at QBs position.

Did we all said the same thing about Denkers that he couldn't pass the ball to save his life but he manage to make the throw when it count. Dawkins can do the same.

The only way for Rhett to see the field as a QB? If dawkins suffer a season ending injury and Tate move to difference position other than QB and Lane is a question mark.

Brandon Harris decision is going to come down too Texas and UNC. We have no real shot at him, That the truth. It basically saying which of the three HC is best suitable for him, RR, Tom Herman, Larry Fedora.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

cordera89 wrote:Gladiator Cat, like I said it excuse because our best QB transfers and their a lack of Confidence in Dawkins and Others QBs. To say that Dawkins and Tate will get hurt by mid season because RR doesn't have a real threat at QBs position.

Did we all said the same thing about Denkers that he couldn't pass the ball to save his life but he manage to make the throw when it count. Dawkins can do the same.

The only way for Rhett to see the field as a QB? If dawkins suffer a season ending injury and Tate move to difference position other than QB and Lane is a question mark.

Brandon Harris decision is going to come down too Texas and UNC. We have no real shot at him, That the truth. It basically saying which of the three HC is best suitable for him, RR, Tom Herman, Larry Fedora.
Are you fondly reminiscing about BJ Denker as our starting QB? Woo hoo, those were the days, right? Jesus, that shows how far the program has fallen.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Puerco wrote:
cordera89 wrote:Gladiator Cat, like I said it excuse because our best QB transfers and their a lack of Confidence in Dawkins and Others QBs. To say that Dawkins and Tate will get hurt by mid season because RR doesn't have a real threat at QBs position.

Are you fondly reminiscing about BJ Denker as our starting QB? Woo hoo, those were the days, right? Jesus, that shows how far the program has fallen.
The ones that really fallen is you.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

I just going to pretend i didn't see that but how did you get Lane Kriffin when I was talking about K'hari Lane at QB in that post. Don't give me excuse because you knew who I was talking about.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Sid

Post by Sid »

Puerco wrote:

Would be nice to at least just have one former Arizona QB drafted in the first or second round. I blame it on recruiting the wrong guys!

Need a "Gronk" type personality at that position that enjoys a proper pool party. The kid has a cannon with a huge future in the league, definitely next level type of kid. Great, does he love chlorine and ass?

No, he doesn't know how to swim.

Next....
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

chiefzona wrote:

Khari?
Forgot him. My bad. Not on the active roster yet.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BJ had MF Ka'deem Carey.

BJ also has a professional championship to his credit as QB.

Looking forward to a QB that can actually throw the ball where the defense actually will get worried about single coverage and not put 8 in the box.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:BJ had MF Ka'deem Carey.

Looking forward to a QB that can actually throw the ball where the defense actually will get worried about single coverage and not put 8 in the box.
Brandon Dawkins and Nick Wilson, JJ taylor or Nathan Tilford cant do the exact same thing.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

cordera89 wrote:

Brandon Dawkins and Nick Wilson, JJ taylor or Nathan Tilford cant do the exact same thing.
We don't need a QB? You have said a lot of stupid things - but you just set a new standard.

As for RB... There is no KaDeem on next year's team. Sorry.

But keep having wet dreams about what RR will do next year with a our 'roster'. Our lack of a QB who can throw is not as much of a liability as it should be - because our WR corps is almost as abysmal as our defense.

But sweet dreams Cordera. It's a shame you cannot appreciate actual greatness and instead try to pretend you see it in marginality.

I am headed back to the BB board.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
cordera89 wrote:

We don't need a QB? You have said a lot of stupid things - but you just set a new standard.

As for RB... There is no KaDeem on next year's team. Sorry.

But keep having wet dreams about what RR will do next year with a our 'roster'. Our lack of a QB who can throw is not as much of a liability as it should be - because our WR corps is almost as abysmal as our defense.

But sweet dreams Cordera. It's a shame you cannot appreciate actual greatness and instead try to pretend you see it in marginality.

I am headed back to the BB board.
Your the one the setting up the prime example that no one on this broad has any confidence in the football program with the crap your saying.

Oh we don't have QB that cant throw the ball, Oh we don't have strong running because our RBs our glass, Oh we don't have a good WR core, According to you their abysmal. Oh we don't have a Oline because they cant run or pass block worth of crap, Oh we don't have a defense that cant stop nobody. That your sweet dream Harvey, not mine.

I have confidence in our team, I have confidence that our Offense and Defense will improve and do better. I had confidence in the coaching staff they will do better than last years. If you don't like it, then go back basketball broad and cheer that team on like the rest.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Confidence and five bucks will just about get you a cup of coffee, cordera. But you keep on keepin' on polluting the football board with your special style.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Puerco wrote:Confidence and five bucks will just about get you a cup of coffee, cordera. But you keep on keepin' on polluting the football board with your special style.
I'm not going to talk trash about our HC or the football team for that matter. I'm not Polluting nothing on this broad. It just telling it like it is and some people on this broad don't want to show no confidence in the football program. I can say what every want out of positive, your the one the want to polluted it and make it about negative. So try again and go cheer for the Basketball team and leave me the hell alone ok.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Puerco wrote:Confidence and five bucks will just about get you a cup of coffee, cordera. But you keep on keepin' on polluting the football board with your special style.

No confidence and five bucks will get you the same cup of coffee Puerco. I would prefer to have at least a glimmer of hope and some confidence and smile while I sip my coffee. To listen to you and Specter we might as well just pack it in and cancel the season now. You guys are even worse than Chief which reminds me, Chief has actually had a couple of positive things to say lately. Way to go Chief, I'm proud of you.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

The confidence of fans has zero to do the team's performance. ZERO.

The confidence and ability of the players and coaches in the program will determine the success of our season. I hope they have more than I do.

My opinion is based on my objective opinions, which include:
-We do not have a running back that can compare with Kadeem
-We do not have a QB that has shown he can advance the ball through the air
-Our WR corps is less heralded & proven than at any time in RR's tenure
-Our defense is very thin at several key positions.

Does that mean we are doomed to failure? Nope.
Does that mean we cannot surprise to the upside? Nope.
Do I hope we are better than we project to be? Hell yeah.

Play opossum and act like the "little engine that could' to your heart's content.
Do your np best imitation of Nero.

I'm from Missouri. Show me. I'll support and cheer for the team regardless of how they project to be.

But I'll also call the world like I see it... Not how I WISH I saw it. Which means I am not delusional.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Harvey Specter wrote:The confidence of fans has zero to do the team's performance. ZERO.

The confidence and ability of the players and coaches in the program will determine the success of our season. I hope they have more than I do.

Play opossum and act like the "little engine that could' to your heart's content.

I'm from Missouri. Show me. I'll support and cheer for the team regardless of how they project to be.

But I'll also call the world like I see it... Not how I WISH I saw it. Which means I am not delusional.
Harvey Specter wrote:The confidence of fans has zero to do the team's performance. ZERO.

I'm sorry Harvey but you just come across like Chicken Little and the sky is falling.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

tgrumpy2 wrote:

I'm sorry Harvey but you just come across like Chicken Little and the sky is falling.
The sky already fell.

We had the worst record in program history last year. And the recruiting class we just signed is a carbon copy of the typical class RR has signed in his time here.

^^^ Call that negativity all you want. Those are facts.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
We had the worst record in program history last year.

Those are facts.

2003 says hi Harvey.
-JB
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Those are facts.

2003 says hi Harvey.
I stand corrected.

Rich Rod shares the distinction of worst conference season in program history with John Mackovic.

You got me, dude. We are clearly in much better shPe than I thought.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

The sky already fell.

We had the worst record in program history last year. And the recruiting class we just signed is a carbon copy of the typical class RR has signed in his time here.

That's what I'm talking about Harvey. Pack in Bud, cancel the season, we're done. Not a snowballs' chance in hell of winning a game. I'm sorry I can't get on board with your cheese and whine party. I'll tell you the same thing I've told Chief. For me this is RR's last chance. If he can't go at least 6-6 or better, hand me a torch and a pitch fork and I'll lead the frenzied mob to the castle gates myself. Until then, I'm nothing but positive.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Those are facts.

2003 says hi Harvey.
I stand corrected.

Rich Rod shares the distinction of worst conference season in program history with John Mackovic.

You were right the first time. Mackovic/Hankwitz were 1-7 in the PAC. RichRod went 1-8.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Those are facts.

2003 says hi Harvey.
I stand corrected.

You were right the first time. Mackovic/Hankwitz were 1-7 in the PAC. RichRod went 1-8.

He said program history originally, not conference history. 2-10 is worse than 3-9.

There might even be some one win teams back in the day. Just talking about the facts, not getting into the pissing match.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:He said program history originally, not conference history. 2-10 is worse than 3-9.

There might even be some one win teams back in the day. Just talking about the facts, not getting into the pissing match.
Fair enough.

But look at OOC scheduling that year compared the cupcakes last year.

August 30 7:00 PM UTEP* Arizona Stadium • Tucson, AZ W 42–7 40,264
September 6 7:00 PM No. 13 LSU* Arizona Stadium • Tucson, AZ TBS L 13–59 46,110
September 20 10:00 AM at No. 25 Purdue* Ross-Ade Stadium • West Lafayette, IN L 7–59 52,310
September 27 7:00 PM No. 19 TCU* Arizona Stadium • Tucson, AZ FSNAZ L 10–13 OT 40,515

In any event, last season was not a banner season, outside of the Territorial Cup. Losing top 5 LBs, top WRs, top passing QB and so on with no impact players to replace them doesn't give me much hope.

But I will still watch every game, just like I do every year.

Just another year with low expectations.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
tgrumpy2 wrote:

The sky already fell.

That's what I'm talking about Harvey. Pack in Bud, cancel the season, we're done. Not a snowballs' chance in hell of winning a game. I'm sorry I can't get on board with your cheese and whine party. I'll tell you the same thing I've told Chief. For me this is RR's last chance. If he can't go at least 6-6 or better, hand me a torch and a pitch fork and I'll lead the frenzied mob to the castle gates myself. Until then, I'm nothing but positive.
He need to have a healthy team and get above .500 to have another year. He just need to improve and survive.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

Merkin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:He said program history originally, not conference history. 2-10 is worse than 3-9.

Fair enough.

September 20 10:00 AM at No. 25 Purdue* Ross-Ade Stadium • West Lafayette, IN L 7–59 52,310
September 27 7:00 PM No. 19 TCU* Arizona Stadium • Tucson, AZ FSNAZ L 10–13 OT 40,51
In any event, last season was not a banner season, outside of the Territorial Cup. Losing top 5 LBs, top WRs, top passing QB and so on with no impact players to replace them doesn't give me much hope.

For whatever its worth, the hallowed and most holy Dick Tomey in 1991, his fifth year here went 4-7. His next two years he was 7-4 and then 10-2.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Fair enough.

September 27 7:00 PM No. 19 TCU* Arizona Stadium • Tucson, AZ FSNAZ L 10–13 OT 40,51

For whatever its worth, the hallowed and most holy Dick Tomey in 1991, his fifth year here went 4-7. His next two years he was 7-4 and then 10-2.
Actually it wasn't 7-4, it was 6-5-1.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA fans would be ecstatic if RichRod went 6-5-1 with this group of players.

Although ties really don't happen anymore due to Tomey.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:UA fans would be ecstatic if RichRod went 6-5-1 with this group of players.

Although ties really don't happen anymore due to Tomey.
Would they be ecstatic if tomey was coaching the exact same way as RR?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Those are facts.

2003 says hi Harvey.
I stand corrected.

He said program history originally, not conference history. 2-10 is worse than 3-9.

I did not value our home victories vs Grambling St and Hawaii as much as I apparently should have. In 2003, 3 of our 4 non-conference games were against teams ranked in the Top 25 (2 were from BCS programs).

I don't think 2016 was a better season (conference or overall) than 2003. We can agree to disagree - that is fine.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Harvey, I said I wasn't getting into your pissing match with cordera and grumpy.
I'm not making a statement about which team was the worst.

You said worst record in program history. You were wrong.
-JB
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I know I shouldn't get too excited but I can't help myself. If Tilford is everything I hear about him, our offense will be tough to stop, even if we can't make a pass.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Harvey, I said I wasn't getting into your pissing match with cordera and grumpy.

Oh come on now, I'm not in a pissing match. I know Arizona has some real issues to deal with this Fall. I'm just trying to point out that Harvey is very negative. I think the point is a number of Arizona coaches in the past have had losing records for a season and come back from it. I'm sure in the background there was a Harvey Specter and a Chiefzona telling everyone we're screwed and have no chance.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

What i don't understand is why you guys continue to feel the need to do this dick measuring, and knocking the program in the recruiting thread. The one place where recruits might look. Shooting yourselves in the proverbial foot, but you're all far to smart to think you're part of the problem.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

whatisee wrote:What i don't understand is why you guys continue to feel the need to do this dick measuring, and knocking the program in the recruiting thread. The one place where recruits might look. Shooting yourselves in the proverbial foot, but you're all far to smart to think you're part of the problem.
I agree with this premise if posters are slamming kids/ prospective recruits in the thread... there has been none of that.

This discussion is about the state of our roster and team. If you think fan/ poster comments on a message board about the state of a program that went 1-8/3-9 last year will deter a kid from coming here - we can agree to disagree. I am not going to try and put a shine on where we are to hoodwink a kid who may be lurking... and if the coaches are credible recruiters and salesmen - they will not either.

In order to show that our trajectory is shifting back upward - we need to demonstrate that next year. Action on the field, not talk (on message boards, in the media, even in recruit living rooms) is what is going to sell recruits.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Harvey, I said I wasn't getting into your pissing match with cordera and grumpy.

Oh come on now, I'm not in a pissing match. I know Arizona has some real issues to deal with this Fall. I'm just trying to point out that Harvey is very negative. I think the point is a number of Arizona coaches in the past have had losing records for a season and come back from it. I'm sure in the background there was a Harvey Specter and a Chiefzona telling everyone we're screwed and have no chance.

Common sense always goes a long way in life.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Harvey is right.

If anything, a recruit will see the promise of immediate playing time with this team if he looks at this thread, outside of RB anyway.

Still can't believe Burmeister bailed for that reason. Could have started as a true freshman here, instead of sitting on the bench for Oregon.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I really think the last thing recruits care about when making their decision is what a bunch of rabid fans say on a message board. Program, coaches, school, right fit probably weigh a lot more heavily.