2017 recruits/commitment thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

whatisee

Re: 2017 recruits/commitment thread

Post by whatisee »

Merkin wrote:"The Wildcats have been working rather hard to rebuild a pipeline into Las Vegas and so far it has been a success."

Well, except for that Solomon guy sticking around.
I'm more interested to see how they recruit all the poly kids that have moved into Vegas. Large Hawaii/Islander population currently...

Bishop Gorman is the 2 time defending national champions. There aren't many diamonds in the rough on that team as I'm sure every player has been evaluated by the colleges. Luckily we have a history with the school, and plenty of Gaels as former Wildcats's.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Is it me or is this class shaping up to be a good Mountain West class?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Minnesota DE Grad Transfer down to ECU and Arizona. Would be a welcome addition to our severely depleted/undersized defensive line

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... es-top-two" target="_blank
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

dmjcat wrote:Minnesota DE Grad Transfer down to ECU and Arizona. Would be a welcome addition to our severely depleted/undersized defensive line

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2 ... es-top-two" target="_blank
He be the tallest Defense lineman but we got 5 players that are around his size at 275 or more while the others are under that size.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alright guys so who is the possible new QB? Rumor has it he was a highly rated prospect out of HS, but chose the baseball route.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Heard those rumors but not sure I know who
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:Alright guys so who is the possible new QB? Rumor has it he was a highly rated prospect out of HS, but chose the baseball route.

Tate attended Cartersville High School in Cartersville, Georgia. He was drafted by the Padres third overall in the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft.[1][2] Tate committed to play baseball and football at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, but chose instead to sign with the Padres for a bonus of $6.7 million.[3] His professional career has been limited by injuries and treatment for substance abuse.[4][5]
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So he's like 26?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:So he's like 26?
We'll be like BYU.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Where is this info coming from because their no news about this.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

It's all over Twitter. Start with Jason Scheer
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He could be 30! if he's playing as a SR
Last edited by NYCat on Wed May 03, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

UAEebs86 wrote:It's all over Twitter. Start with Jason Scheer
ok
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

NYCat wrote: He could be 30! if he's playing as a SR
Isn't their a Age Limit for student athlete?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Not that I know of. There's been like 50 year old walk-ons at division II schools

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Not that I know of. There's been like 50 year old walk-ons at division II schools
That impossible.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

When I was in school the age limit was 25 but the NCAA changed it at some point.
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

cordera89 wrote:
Nope. There was a story in SI last year about a 55 year old man trying to make a college football team.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

cordera89 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Not that I know of. There's been like 50 year old walk-ons at division II schools
That impossible.
http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ball-game/" target="_blank

cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

azgreg wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Nope. There was a story in SI last year about a 55 year old man trying to make a college football team.
I never heard anything about that but i do know that Brandon Weeden was 28 playing QB at OSU and their several others that I cant even name.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
That impossible.
http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ball-game/" target="_blank
That crazy.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

cordera89 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
I never heard anything about that but i do know that Brandon Weeden was 28 playing QB at OSU and their several others that I cant even name.
Chris Weinke at Florida State. Played pro baseball out of high school. Then opted for football. Worked out well for him and FSU.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

How old was Keith Smith when he came to Arizona?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I think Smith only played one year of bball, and had to pay every dime back before he could go back to college.

Rules have changed quite a bit since then.

Tate likes the weed!

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/padres-f ... -185364810" target="_blank

NEW YORK -- Donavan Tate, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2009 Draft and one of the Padres' top prospects, was suspended for 50 games on Tuesday after a second positive drug test.
Tate, 20, received the suspension from Major League Baseball after testing positive for a drug of abuse. He was already in substance abuse counseling stemming from a first positive test earlier this year and has been credited 25 games from his time served in the rehab program.

Players who test positive for a drug of abuse -- marijuana, cocaine, opiates, etc. -- are typically not suspended until a second positive test under the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The Commissioner's Office said the 25 games that remain on Tate's suspension will be served immediately.

Tate, an outfielder from Cartersville, Ga., is perhaps the highest profile Minor Leaguer to be suspended under the program in recent years. He was drafted third overall by San Diego in 2009, moments after Washington's Stephen Strasburg and Seattle's Dustin Ackley, both of whom have reached the Majors.

Tate, though, has followed a different path -- he was at Class A Short-Season Eugene since June 17 after appearing in six games with Class A Fort Wayne. He hit .222 in 25 games with the Padres' Rookie-level Arizona League affiliate last summer, where he hit both of his two career home runs.

The 6-foot-3 outfielder, who went a career-best 5-for-6 on June 26, is hitting a combined .294 with seven RBIs and seven steals this year.

"He's a great player and an even a better teammate," Eugene teammate Cory Spangenberg said on Sunday night. Spangenberg was the No. 10 overall pick in the 2011 Draft. "One of the best teammates I have ever had."

Tate is the 33rd Minor Leaguer to be suspended under the Minor League drug program in 2011 and the first Padres farmhand since Ruben Mejia was banned 50 games on March 18.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

zonagrad wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Chris Weinke at Florida State. Played pro baseball out of high school. Then opted for football. Worked out well for him and FSU.
Yeah but we really don't know if it will would work out for us. Even if he does beat out Dawkins? How good can he actually be of what we have that number 1 question we have to ask our self.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cordera89 wrote: Yeah but we really don't know if it will would work out for us. Even if he does beat out Dawkins? How good can he actually be of what we have that number 1 question we have to ask our self.
As a kid has fb offers from Michigan, Alabama, USC, Georgia, Florida, Miami and so on.

UA has probably never had a QB recruited that high that stayed.

Assuming he is still in very good shape, getting his footwork and passing routes back can be done this summer.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

From ESPNs write-up on Tate out of high school:
Tate is intriguing because, although he is labeled as an "athlete," he actually is a darn good quarterback prospect. But he needs the right scheme and coach in order to stay at the position. His size, speed and athleticism likely will get him moved to safety or wide receiver. Under center, he is an excellent dual threat. Has a wide receiver's build. He's quick, agile and elusive. Has very good pocket presence and can consistently escape the rush. Makes things happen after the initial play breaks down. Has good speed and wiggle in the open field for his height. Runs well, but doesn't limit himself as a passer. Clearly wants to throw first and run second. Shows patience in the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield when rushed and flushes only when he feels he must. Throws the ball very well and has confidence in his passing ability. Shows fairly smooth mechanics and a quick over-the-top delivery. Demonstrates touch, timing and accuracy. Has underrated arm strength. Throws very well on the run. Can throw off balance, buy time and still get the ball deep. Has good deep-ball arm strength when his feet are set. Sometimes locks on to his receivers and needs to quicken his progressions, but his quarterback skills--not just his athleticism--are impressive. He's very productive in all phases. Tate's uniform number (32) seems to suggest he won't stay at quarterback, and he's also an outstanding (and serious) baseball player. But his tools are attractive at any skill position.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

Merkin wrote:
cordera89 wrote: Yeah but we really don't know if it will would work out for us. Even if he does beat out Dawkins? How good can he actually be of what we have that number 1 question we have to ask our self.
As a kid has fb offers from Michigan, Alabama, USC, Georgia, Florida, Miami and so on.

Assuming he is still in very good shape, getting his footwork and passing routes back can be done this summer.
It good that he a lot of good offer from elite programs as a HS football Players and all but he hasn't play football in 8 years( might be wrong)

RR is taking a big risk and a gamble with him. With that baggage of off the field issue with drugs addiction , RR better hope he no major problem with him, stay clean and stay out of trouble.

Yes I do agree, He need to get back into football shape, get all of the QB mechanic down and learn the playbook. I just don't know because he hasn't play football in 8 years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Clearly wants to throw first and run second.

That sure will be a nice change after Dawkins and Tate.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Regardless of how is career ends up here, this guy is a fucking hero. Makes several million dollars to TRY playing baseball, that doesn't work out so he gets to go to college - paid for by the Padres no less - and bang college girls at 26.

Hero.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

splitsecond wrote:Regardless of how is career ends up here, this guy is a fucking hero. Makes several million dollars to TRY playing baseball, that doesn't work out so he gets to go to college - paid for by the Padres no less - and bang college girls at 26.

Hero.
Thats a hero? Lol
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

cordera89 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

It good that he a lot of good offer from elite programs as a HS football Players and all but he hasn't play football in 8 years( might be wrong)

RR is taking a big risk and a gamble with him. With that baggage of off the field issue with drugs addiction , RR better hope he no major problem with him, stay clean and stay out of trouble.

Yes I do agree, He need to get back into football shape, get all of the QB mechanic down and learn the playbook. I just don't know because he hasn't play football in 8 years.

What risk is RR taking? He's a walk on. There are a few players doing drugs now.....allegedly. If he gets into trouble he's off of the team. He'll have to relearn a lot of stuff and with the speed of the younger athletes, it's very possible that the game will be fast for him. He'll have to learn how to slow it down. When the game is too fast for dual threats, they usually stop trusting the pocket and just start running. Rod Smith and RR have been terrible at teaching pocket knowledge, presense, and progressions. They have the QBs doing way to much other stuff. I think they need to simplify it and overhaul it but we all know how RR with things of that nature. He's not a gamble.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

chiefzona wrote:
cordera89 wrote:
Merkin wrote:

What risk is RR taking? He's a walk on. There are a few players doing drugs now.....allegedly. If he gets into trouble he's off of the team. He'll have to relearn a lot of stuff and with the speed of the younger athletes, it's very possible that the game will be fast for him. He'll have to learn how to slow it down. When the game is too fast for dual threats, they usually stop trusting the pocket and just start running. Rod Smith and RR have been terrible at teaching pocket knowledge, presense, and progressions. They have the QBs doing way to much other stuff. I think they need to simplify it and overhaul it but we all know how RR with things of that nature. He's not a gamble.
Is Rod Smith an RR "drinking buddy"? His QB development track record stinks.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

chiefzona wrote: What risk is RR taking? He's a walk on. There are a few players doing drugs now.....allegedly.
College kids smoking weed! THE HORROR!

Like Michael Lev said on twitter, the danger is taking reps from the development of Khalil Tate.

Although Donavan seems like a better QB prospect if he can get up to speed. There is a reason no other Power 5 conference school offered Khalil a scholie at QB.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Merkin wrote:
chiefzona wrote: What risk is RR taking? He's a walk on. There are a few players doing drugs now.....allegedly.
College kids smoking weed! THE HORROR!

Like Michael Lev said on twitter, the danger is taking reps from the development of Khalil Tate.

Although Donavan seems like a better QB prospect if he can get up to speed. There is a reason no other Power 5 conference school offered Khalil a scholie at QB.

I wasn't talking about weed. That's not a drug. Lol. What development? He's a running back. Haha.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

splitsecond wrote:Regardless of how is career ends up here, this guy is a fucking hero. Makes several million dollars to TRY playing baseball, that doesn't work out so he gets to go to college - paid for by the Padres no less - and bang college girls at 26.

Hero.
He's married with two kids. I wouldn't expect him to plow the field in Tucson.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

By the way durability is not his middle name.
Tate’s baseball career never got off the ground. He had sports hernia surgery shortly after being drafted and then suffered an ATV accident in the offseason. A concussion, shoulder injury and stomach virus followed the next year and a hyperextended knee and wrist injury cut the following season short as well.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/d ... Oj91LXj.97" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Good article on Tate and his addiction issues and overcoming them:

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... aign=share" target="_blank
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

So their has been no word on Gaelin Elmore on what school he going to attend. Starting to feel like it more of a waste of time.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

cordera89 wrote:So their has been no word on Gaelin Elmore on what school he going to attend. Starting to feel like it more of a waste of time.
RichRod loses out to a directional school.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The ineptitude of this coaching staff's recruiting ability is unbelievable. Immediate playing time available at the guy's position and he chooses a directional school over us. You can't beat that.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ECU runs a 3-4 and they have a young line with no clear cut starters. It was a no brainer.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

So he chose ECU because of scheme wise and they have no clear starter on Defense line, Typical waste, I wouldn't blame RR and our staff for this one because he took to long to make announcement on where he was going.

And what this talk about another Grad Dlinemen Dereck Boles from Boise State?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

chiefzona wrote:ECU runs a 3-4 and they have a young line with no clear cut starters. It was a no brainer.
We run a 3 man front and have no clear cut starters. We lost to a....what conference are they in again...school.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

ChooChooCat wrote:
chiefzona wrote:ECU runs a 3-4 and they have a young line with no clear cut starters. It was a no brainer.
We run a 3 man front and have no clear cut starters. We lost to a....what conference are they in again...school.

The only end position on the Arizona DL is the Stud position where DeAndre Miller is the starter. ECU is in the American Athletic Conference.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Well it out of our hand now, We cant really complain much about it, It was total waste of waiting for two week to get answers and he chose AAC team over a PAC 12 team. Can't blame the staff for this one.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

cordera89 wrote:So he chose ECU because of scheme wise and they have no clear starter on Defense line, Typical waste, I wouldn't blame RR and our staff for this one because he took to long to make announcement on where he was going.

He's not a grad transfer. He was suspended from the Boise State team for fighting. He bit part of a safety's ear off. He spent last year at a JC and would be eligible to play right away. I believe he would be considered a redshirt Junior. He bit someone's ear off. Damn I kind of like that attitude.
cordera89

Post by cordera89 »

tgrumpy2 wrote:
cordera89 wrote:So he chose ECU because of scheme wise and they have no clear starter on Defense line, Typical waste, I wouldn't blame RR and our staff for this one because he took to long to make announcement on where he was going.

He's not a grad transfer. He was suspended from the Boise State team for fighting. He bit part of a safety's ear off. He spent last year at a JC and would be eligible to play right away. I believe he would be considered a redshirt Junior. He bit someone's ear off. Damn I kind of like that attitude.
oh well I guess I must misread on him being a grad transfers but I did read about it on Arizona Daily Star article and I don't know if RR want to get him if he bit off a teammate ear. attitude is one thing but I was looking at other grad transfers on some site and their a lot of guys that haven't pick a school yet.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
So RRod just beat out Florida International for a 2 star player who bites off his team mates ears???

Sounds like RRod is upgrading his recruiting!

At least he's not a 247lb walk on :lol: