Arizona at UTEP discussion thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Arizona at UTEP discussion thread

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:From what I've heard, the Athletic Department is hemorrhaging money.
You are a f-ing cancer. This is so untrue unless you are speaking to the desires to do mass improvements that are needed.

Probably need no more evidence then giving pay raises to non revenue coaches. Stop spreading false things that you have no idea abiut
It's from an extremely reliable source. I don't say it unless I'm pretty sure it's true. This move is one confirmation for me. We shall see if others come into play.
It's not like this information isn't widely available online. My friend Google tells me that Arizona athletics had its first net loss (2 million) after a decade of athletic department profitability in 201t-16.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.azdese ... t-finances" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

It could be worse, we could be UTEP. Read what they think LOL

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... re-time-tv" target="_blank
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
chiefzona wrote:From what I've heard, the Athletic Department is hemorrhaging money.
You are a f-ing cancer. This is so untrue unless you are speaking to the desires to do mass improvements that are needed.

Probably need no more evidence then giving pay raises to non revenue coaches. Stop spreading false things that you have no idea abiut
It's from an extremely reliable source. I don't say it unless I'm pretty sure it's true. This move is one confirmation for me. We shall see if others come into play.
It's not like this information isn't widely available online. My friend Google tells me that Arizona athletics had its first net loss (2 million) after a decade of athletic department profitability in 201t-16.

No kidding. Hardly hemorrhaging money IMO. We are not Cal
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Not true. However, with all the projects that will be occurring out of pure necessity, they will be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

That doesn't qualify as hemorrhaging Spiff.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Not true. However, with all the projects that will be occurring out of pure necessity, they will be.

Now that would be an accurate statement. Chiefs careless caricature of our monetary situation was meant to encite the masses.
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Ignore is good.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Now that would be an accurate statement. Chiefs careless caricature of our monetary situation was fine to encite the masses.

I think most fans get the situation. I haven't needed to encite the masses at all. They already have been. I would say carefree over careless. I have zero stock in the program. It's all entertainment at this point. Cheers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

I know. Maybe Chief is just making stuff up.

Edit: especially because most athletic departments don't run profits, and we have for a long time.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
azcat49 wrote:

I know. Maybe Chief is just making stuff up.
I believe that my track record for telling you guys the truth on here speaks for itself.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What speaks for itself the most is you jerking yourself off all over this board.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chief, financial info is available. You don't need sources. There are hard facts, and they do not show what you claim.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Chief, financial info is available. You don't need sources. There are hard facts, and they do not show what you claim.

Lol! Sure thing man.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

chiefzona wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Chief, financial info is available. You don't need sources. There are hard facts, and they do not show what you claim.

Lol! Sure thing man.
So what exactly is the problem then if you know? Lack of sales? To much to one program? Give us details or shut the fuck up and stop lying.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:

Lol! Sure thing man.
So what exactly is the problem then if you know? Lack of sales? To much to one program? Give us details or shut the fuck up and stop lying.
He can't, it's not his blog.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

No wonder the AD is building an indoor practice facility, because it is hemorrhaging money! It doesn't make sense. The program has money coming in with the the student fee and can borrow against future revenue. The program will be fine, money-wise. The jefe's will pay for RR's buy out and we'll get some young coach cheap.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Lol! Sure thing man.
It's also not reflective of any of the actual available information. It cracks me up that for a public university, which has to be pretty transparent with revenue and expenses, Chief acts like he has inside info. This is literally public record.

He has sources, but I have sauces. I put Mrs. Renfro's Jalapeno sauce on some tomatillo enchiladas.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

This is dated, with the FY ending 6/30/16, but at the time the UA AD was pretty healthy.

BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:He has sources, but I have sauces. I put Mrs. Renfro's Jalapeno sauce on some tomatillo enchiladas.
That sounds frickin delicious . . .
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
chiefzona wrote:
Lol! Sure thing man.
It's also not reflective of any of the actual available information. It cracks me up that for a public university, which has to be pretty transparent with revenue and expenses, Chief acts like he has inside info. This is literally public record.

He has sources, but I have sauces. I put Mrs. Renfro's Jalapeno sauce on some tomatillo enchiladas.
Good one. :lol: I'm hungry now. :roll:
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The busses are lined up. 4 of 'em.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

These?

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

What's the over / under on flat tires?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BearDown89 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:He has sources, but I have sauces. I put Mrs. Renfro's Jalapeno sauce on some tomatillo enchiladas.
That sounds frickin delicious . . .
It is. I was worried about the whitebread name of Mrs. Renfro, but their salsas are legit.

Just don't try their Ghost Pepper salsa. There is obviously a decent amount of real ghost pepper and it destroys you.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

But I think I will never get the facts from Liar in Chief
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azgreg wrote:These?

No, we're not ASU.
RazorsEdgeAZ

Post by RazorsEdgeAZ »

Chief offers hearsay and speculations. It is a message board so credibility always an issue with any of us. I look forward to any concrete data from Chief that supports his speculation.

First off UA is projected to have a surplus this fiscal year. Secondly, we're only in the 2nd quarter of the fiscal year.
UA will get a one-time bump of nearly $1 million from March Madness credits this fiscal year. Due to P12 improvement in MBB
All schools will get additional $450,000 this fiscal year due to Washington being in CFB Playoff
P12 schools will get a slight bump to $30 million per school this fiscal year from above and TV deals
Also, UA continues to receive dividends for their portion of the retenion fund units. Fluctuates, but good enough money

Now add in that Student Fee revenue hasn't been realized yet. It will beginning 3rd qtr. It's 4-year plan. This fiscal year additional $800k UA has never realized. Grows each year to $3.2 million
Also, UA received a private $5 million donation.
The donation and student fee set-up UA to debt service about $75 million to borrow for projects, like infrastructure.

Also, UA this year alone is servicing about $8M in debt. That's good as UA being more aggressive in improving facilities and initiating projects. Donations like $5 million help secure that. A bus ride and being down attendance 9% first two games does not cause financial "Hemorrhaging".
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RazorsEdgeAZ wrote:
Chief offers hearsay and speculations. It is a message board so credibility always an issue with any of us. I look forward to any concrete data from Chief that supports his speculation.

First off UA is projected to have a surplus this fiscal year. Secondly, we're only in the 2nd quarter of the fiscal year.
UA will get a one-time bump of nearly $1 million from March Madness credits this fiscal year. Due to P12 improvement in MBB
All schools will get additional $450,000 this fiscal year due to Washington being in CFB Playoff
P12 schools will get a slight bump to $30 million per school this fiscal year from above and TV deals
Also, UA continues to receive dividends for their portion of the retenion fund units. Fluctuates, but good enough money

Now add in that Student Fee revenue hasn't been realized yet. It will beginning 3rd qtr. It's 4-year plan. This fiscal year additional $800k UA has never realized. Grows each year to $3.2 million
Also, UA received a private $5 million donation.
The donation and student fee set-up UA to debt service about $75 million to borrow for projects, like infrastructure.

Also, UA this year alone is servicing about $8M in debt. That's good as UA being more aggressive in improving facilities and initiating projects. Donations like $5 million help secure that. A bus ride and being down attendance 9% first two games does not cause financial "Hemorrhaging".
Yeah, but Chief has friends in high places and a blog. All you have is facts and figures.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Sigh.... and another of Chiefs proclamations and self aggrandizing statements is shown to be just him checking out pics of himself while masturbating on the keyboard.

Just figure the opposite of whatever he says is somewhere close to the truth.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

You can disbelieve all you want. One thing I can give two shits about is any athletic department's finances. It doesn't interest me in the least. The person who told it to me is very credible and I buy what he told me. I don't care who believes it or not. I don't get paid from the program or profit off of anything here. So, how many yards passing is Arizona gonna get in this game?
Sid

Post by Sid »

chiefzona wrote:You can disbelieve all you want. One thing I can give two shits about is any athletic department's finances. It doesn't interest me in the least. The person who told it to me is very credible and I buy what he told me. I don't care who believes it or not. I don't get paid from the program or profit off of anything here. So, how many yards passing is Arizona gonna get in this game?
Zero.

We're going to run the fucking wishbone!

Cheers,
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I don't know how much I would count on the student fee in the future. The AG filed that publicity stunt of a suit saying tuition was way too high (that's a separate discussion) but one of the side effects is that it may start kicking over a big can of worms. Requiring an athletics fee is likely to factor into this suit if it reaches trial.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Chief getting used is fun to see. EV cat, Spiff, Choo, Razor and the rest, great job.

He saw a bus trip and speculated. He knows jack shit about the schools finance.

I gave him an out and he was tyo bullheaded to take it. Razor mentioned the debt service and if Chief was alluding to the FUTURE improvements and that debt service then he would have had a point.

He is a program cancer and once RR is gone he is going to be lonely for awhile. But with AZ football you can generally call mediocrity and failure so it won't be long until he is back saying I told you so
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

If we don't win by at least 30 I will think we're probably going winless the rest of the season.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

scumdevils86 wrote:If we don't win by at least 30 I will think we're probably going winless the rest of the season.
Hey now.... The Territorial Cup is going to be a battle of Shittiness.

It's possible they could be shittier than us.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UTEP, Utah, Colorado, Oregon State, Cal and asu are all winnable still. Not saying or thinking the Cats win all those but should win at least a few of them.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:If we don't win by at least 30 I will think we're probably going winless the rest of the season.
Hey now.... The Territorial Cup is going to be a battle of Shittiness.

It's possible they could be shittier than us.
A battle between a 2-9 team and a 1-10 team spells ratings bonanza.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Memories of the first Arizona game I saw in person. The fabled 2003 Territorial Cup toilet bowl. 2-9 Arizona vs 4-7 ASU. Both teams were 1-6 in the conference.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

game thread is up, cause I didnt want to forget to post it like I did last week.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UTEP humor:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAEebs86 wrote:UTEP humor:

when you have to put that many words into explaining your joke.....you know you've failed at humor.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Not sure if this is accurate, but I heard Arizona bused to El Paso and is flying home after the game. So it's not a round trip on I-10.
As for the financial health of Arizona athletics, I think by reading the numbers it's clear we're in good shape. But a deep cut in revenue or unnecessary expenses can hurt our position. To me, that means it's okay to be cost conscious but still spend money when and where you think it's necessary. I actually think it's a good thing that we're not a program that just throws money at everything. Just because we're being frugal doesn't mean we can't afford things.

If things are so dire for Arizona athletics, I can't imagine what the financial situation is like in places like Tempe, where the basketball program is barely revenue neutral and everything else but football loses money. Crap, ASU pays their women's hoops coach more than $400,000/year.
ASU football just downsized their stadium and barely drew more than Arizona in their season opener. And they just lost at home to SDSU and will likely drop another game this week at Texas Tech. Gonna be hard to draw fans while the losses pile up.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

zonagrad, you bring up a good point about ASU's basketball program. Arizona is one of only a handful of schools where the basketball program and football program both are revenue giants. Usually it's only the football program. IIIRC, baseball also makes a small profit (I could be wrong on that but I seem to remember hearing that) since the move to Hi Corbett.

I was asking an ASU fan the other day if they think a bad performance against TT could get Graham fired. They dobt think so, don't think he would be fired mid season. Gotta wonder if a half empty SDS will change that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I only really have one "source", but he works in the AD. The idea that we are hemorrhaging money is pretty funny to him.

Keep in mind that as a public, not-for-profit university, the only advantage to running in the black is the kickback to the university at large. Even if the AD runs in the red to the tune of <5%, that shortfall is made up by the way sports market the school both to prospective students and alumni donors.

Also keep in mind that we could be doing a lot better if the TV deal paid near what its supposed to. Thanks Larry Scott.

Thanks to Chief for bringing up this topic. I hope we've disabused you and your connected friend of your incorrect notions.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Game and match. Nice job Chi, spot on as usual
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If bussing our football team to El Paso (which is far from torture) can help pay for Sean Miller to charter for recruiting I'd do it 100000000 times out of 100000000.

On a second note this is what needs to occur to generate more revenue since Larry Scott is awful at his job and yet is paid more than anybody outside of the SEC commissioner for...reasons?

1. Sell beer at football games
2. Sell naming rights to Arizona Stadium
3. If you really really need more money then sell naming rights to McKale
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Chicat wrote:I only really have one "source", but he works in the AD. The idea that we are hemorrhaging money is pretty funny to him.

Keep in mind that as a public, not-for-profit university, the only advantage to running in the black is the kickback to the university at large. Even if the AD runs in the red to the tune of <5%, that shortfall is made up by the way sports market the school both to prospective students and alumni donors.

Also keep in mind that we could be doing a lot better if the TV deal paid near what its supposed to. Thanks Larry Scott.

Thanks to Chief for bringing up this topic. I hope we've disabused you and your connected friend of your incorrect notions.
:lol: solid Chi.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Chicat wrote:I only really have one "source", but he works in the AD. The idea that we are hemorrhaging money is pretty funny to him.

The one thing your buddy got right is operating in the red. The department has some very tough obstacles in the near future. Heeke has some VERY important decisions to make and donor participation in the next year is critical. But we all knew that.

You're welcome. Don't worry about me buddy. My connected friend is correct as we've revisited this and will again soon after the season.
chiefzona

Post by chiefzona »

Anyone think Tilford will see some time in the backfield? He'll be on ST. I think JJ Taylor will get a lot of snaps. We'll see if they open up the passing game. It would behoove RR to have Dawkins throw. Arizona can ill afford to be one-dimensional against Utah.